condescending stuff people post on forums and other places

zassou

i have been a lurker on reddit for a couple of years, i always find some people's condescending attitude towards others amusing. especially in forums, maybe because the "close knit" nature of it; people tend to post quite condescending stuff, especially under your own thread.

about a year ago i posted a lengthy post (~1k words) on another pc related forum, about the weird problems i met and i did and did not fix them, when i was repairing pcs at a computer chop shop. (things like thunderstorm causes black screen),

someone replyed something like this: I don't know if those are true...I'm just to see if the logic checks out.

for some reason this kind of reply really hurts. i can take personal insults and racial slurs, i can forget them in no time. but this, this is hurtful.

it paints me a picture: a short haired, freckled and portly class brat, wearing a badge of some sort the teacher gave him. bullying his fellow classmates: yeah i dont really interested in you childish hobby like collecting stamps or whatnot, im just make sure your IQ level meets our school's standard.

have you ever read posts (to you?) that are so hurtful that you don't even know how to fight back?

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

R*ddit is c.. I mean An abnormal growth of cells which tend to proliferate in an uncontrolled way and, in some cases, to metastasize.

It's one of the worst sites after the "chan" sites, literally a troll cave because you know all of the subs there are made by trolls for trolls so they meet there and treat each other like... trolls (what else?)

kind of overclock.net, it used to be a somewhat decent forum but the wealthy neckbeards took over and you can't post a question anymore since it's a circlejerk where they only talk about achieving 5GHz on their 9900K or whatever the high end Intel chip of the moment is.

The trick is to simply ignore them, remove their comments (when possible) or directly avoid sites like that, there's no point in fighting against the whole circlejerk, their minds are hardwired to deny they're wrong or that other forms of thoughts that differ from their own can exist.

I avoid those sites in fact this is the only forum I still use, there are a few persons with a very low IQ who suffer from a number of mental disabilities yes but they're not too active or their comments get deleted fast. Other than this I only use the internet for my personal email, to watch youtube videos (no account either) or to download files, I only play singleplayer games and don't use any launchers.

Yep, overclock.net use to be way more chill.  The last forum change really drove a good chunk of members away.  Still a few good folks that hang out in the folding/boinc area but the rest, yeah...  I also notice that folks that would actual explain in detail of how things work also seem to went down in number or just left completely.

To the OP, just ignore the trolls and talk to the folks that actually provide useful comments and/or info.  There some small areas on Reddit with some chill folks, but you still get a few folks there that try to cause trouble on occasions.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

i dont really care what people say about me but what people say about my girlfriend just breaks my heart

When posts end up like that I report them and enjoy as it gets deleted. The system works if you use it. Either that or I just ignore and move on with my day. Some sad little useless bag of flesh on the internet isn't going to hurt my feelings. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

On 3/12/2020 at 4:10 PM, zassou said:

someone replyed something like this: I don't know if those are true...I'm just to see if the logic checks out.

That's because reddit particularly, maybe other places too is also full of attention seekers who just post fake stories to gather upvotes and positive comments about themselves. People love positive stories and are usually happy to congratulate etc - but they rightfully get right mad if they find out they were conned by a fake or embellished story. Become "victim" of that a few times and you'll turn into a pessimistic who's going to switch from enjoying the story to first assuming it's fake and want to validate it isn't before considering buying into it.

The only subreddit I often read is https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/, it's basically only rational tech guys there and I've never seen a bad comment in years (unless what you did was plain wrong, then they'll let you know for sure and usually without restraint, but take that as an opportunity to learn from the best). Your stuff might fit in it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Mm, forums and the Interwebs in general can host nasty, toxic members sometimes. If I come across a comment that irks me, is rude, and isn't going to lead into a productive/healthy discussion, I tend to ignore it. At the end of the day, it's just an opinion from someone I barely even know, and it probably isn't going to impact my life in any meaningful way. Otherwise, I might reply with a joke, just to lessen the sting of the insult for myself. Laughter is an amazing remedy. ?

Also I believe this is relevant (context: taken from the Banning Thread, lol):

On 3/9/2020 at 1:22 PM, FakeCIA said:

Banned because you need to learn how to take a joke. Don't take life too seriously.

Sound advice, methinks. Don't take comments from the Interwebs too seriously.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

I just remind myself the people who feel the need to berate and belittle others online are also the same people that have literally nothing exciting in their empty little lives.

Trolling trolls is a fun game though!

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064

On 3/12/2020 at 4:10 PM, zassou said:

i have been a lurker on reddit for a couple of years, i always find some people's condescending attitude towards others amusing. especially in forums, maybe because the "close knit" nature of it; people tend to post quite condescending stuff, especially under your own thread.

Often times I feel like the things I posts are often seen as condescencing, when I really don't mean them like that.

With the internet you're dealing with some many different sorts of people and the way you have been brought up will influence the way you talk online too.

That can often lead to clashing natures in different sets of people.

Where I live, you're supposed to be very direct to people, or at least that is expected of you. So sometimes I don't tippy-toe around what I am thinking, which will definitely come off as rude to others.

So consider that not everyone has wrongful/hurtful intend when making a - as perceived by you - condescending comment. It may just be their way of talking, clashing with your preferred way of talking.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

This forum is the only one I go to really, all the other's i've been on either don't have much content or just full of nasty people, so i've been on here and never looked back. Love everyone in this forum.

While it sucks, those type of people will always be there.

Best advice you're going to get ;

Ignore them, don't reply, don't engage them and report them. Better let them get in trouble, than you (replying will just expose you to sanctions all the same at the "troll").

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

i simply facepalm, and report them and/or block them

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

18 hours ago, Caroline said:

They're all gone

It is a reason I fled. 10 year member here. Now I moved to LTT. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

On 3/14/2020 at 5:39 AM, Caroline said:

The trick is to simply ignore them, remove their comments (when possible) or directly avoid sites like that

yeah, ostrich tactic is the best tactic, but the damage is done the moment you see them.

i WAS interested in reading such mean and hurtful comment to others, because it's always funny to watch others suffer(schadenfeude) until one faithful day that axe lands on you.

so right now i stick to meme related stuff, or (ahem) stuff, i find people tend to behave in these circles.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!