I think I just broke my 1500 dollar gaming pc!

Iithunderwolf

I was carrying my desktop and kinda sorta dropped it. Ever since then I haven't been able to boot it not even into the bios.

20200120_215920.jpg

1 minute ago, Iithunderwolf said:

and kinda sorta dropped it

How many times did you "accidentally" drop it, though? A dozen or so?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I slipped when it happened and well let's just say computers aren't meant to fly. I guess if I where to have a backstory it would be that I should clean my room so I stop tripping like an idiot its filthy in here.

Most system will still work when it’s accidentally dropped once, unless the damage was massive. But the case should have absorbed most of the shock and impact as it landed on the concrete floor.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Also I sold my graphics card and processor. And my hard drive I completely gave up on it. Probably was a stupid decision but the damage is already done. ?

Only way to find out is to remove everything out of the case and test each component while checking for damages. Some of the damage aren’t  very visible and may be microscopic. In other words need to look at it from every angle very carefully.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I'm embarrassed to say this but I have sold my gtx 1080 graphics card and my 2700x processor for an ipad. My excuse is I wanted something right then and there. didn't want to leave with nothing.

30 minutes ago, Iithunderwolf said:

I'm embarrassed to say this but I have sold my gtx 1080 graphics card and my 2700x processor for an ipad. My excuse is I wanted something right then and there. didn't want to leave with nothing.

...how much did you sell them for?

Not exactly an hour but yeah. Make matters worse it's the old iPad pro 9.7 inch 32gb version.

There's so much action and intensity in this thread I like it. Are you worried the guy you sold the parts to will come back and ask for a refund?

That image was in my mind when carrying my PC to my room.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Probably not if anything he's probably laughing thinking I'm stupid or something 

14 minutes ago, doertedev said:

Take out the motherboard and inspect it closely. Check the backplate of the mobo for dents, if it has some it can touch connectors and short to ground. 

Take off the cooler and check if the Header has dents or scraches.

Hope you have SSDs and not hard disks. If so do they click?

Does smoke come out when you connect it to power?

The OP went and immediately sold his CPU and GPU, so it'll be a bit hard for him/her/it to do any of that. I was immediately thinking that the case might have warped a little and shorted something, which would explain why the PC didn't boot up, as well. It's a wee bit of a shame the OP didn't come here first to ask for help, could've probably salvaged his PC. (To the OP: I'm not trying to rub any more salt in the wounds, I'm just lamenting that it's all a bit unfortunate)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 hours ago, Iithunderwolf said:

So I'm guessing it could have been salvageable? 

Most likely.

If there was no obvious physical damage, I would've started by checking all the cable connections. Then reseating the CPU, GPU, and RAM. I'd wager that would've been enough to get it booting. Next step would've been taking out the motherboard and checking closely for any physical damage as it's the one component most likely to be damaged by physical shock.

8 hours ago, Iithunderwolf said:

Not exactly an hour but yeah. Make matters worse it's the old iPad pro 9.7 inch 32gb version.

So let me get this right, you dropped your PC and then almost immediately traded away over $1000 in parts for a ~$300 ipad because the computer didn't boot right away and you didn't want to troubleshoot it?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Reminds me of that one time someone posted here how their PC fell off their truck and it was actually in working condition (other than than the case being totalled).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Depends what was rattled in the case. Try reseating parts into the motherboard. As long as the damage was mostly put onto the case then your ok. There is a chance that the shock damaged parts of the motherboard or graphics card. Also any mechanical HDD might be pooched. 

I have the original Razer Megaladon headset 7.1. I forgot it once on the top aof a friends car while we hit the highway. It fell off going 60 and it still works. This happened 2 times where I forgot the stupid thing up there and it still works to this day.