Dumb question... 10Gig in the home seems to be the Intel 10nm of the networking world... Why?

Linksys120n

I mean we have had 1Gig in the home for over a decade... and by we I mean my family alone has had it...

What gives?

derp

Plain and simple, most people don't need 10G home networks.

the vast majority of people only use their LAN for printing and controlling smart home devices, maybe gaming, no file transfer or anything that needs high speed

of the tiny pool of people who use their LAN for file transfer and/or high-bandwidth things, most don't need more than 1Gbps, since they're often just transferring to a single hard drive on a computer, and the 100MB/s is close enough to full hard drive speed that 10G networking isn't worth the money and/or they don't care, since if the movie they're trying to copy takes 3 minutes instead of 1, they're OK with it.

So as a result, most homes have 1G because it's cheap and fills the need of 99% of people.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Plain and simple, most people don't need 10G home networks.

the vast majority of people only use their LAN for printing and controlling smart home devices, maybe gaming, no file transfer or anything that needs high speed

of the tiny pool of people who use their LAN for file transfer and/or high-bandwidth things, most don't need more than 1Gbps, since they're often just transferring to a single hard drive on a computer, and the 100MB/s is close enough to full hard drive speed that 10G networking isn't worth the money and/or they don't care, since if the movie they're trying to copy takes 3 minutes instead of 1, they're OK with it.

So as a result, most homes have 1G because it's cheap and fills the need of 99% of people.

Well fellow 1%-ers time to grab your pitchforks and torches!

derp

I mean, you can buy them if you want? https://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-Ethernet-Express-Network-XG-C100F/dp/B07VLC7LT3/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Asus+XG-C100C+10G&qid=1578033225&sr=8-2

They're simply expensive and as @RadiatingLight said, most people simply don't need any more. How often do you transfer huge files between computers (with a fast enough SSD) to make it worthwhile?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Linksys120n said:

Well fellow 1%-ers time to grab your pitchforks and torches!

No pitchforks needed!

You can buy 10Gbps if you want, it's just not at critical mass yet, so prices on switches are still very high.

if you want cutting-edge, pay cutting-edge prices.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

I mean, you can buy them if you want? https://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-Ethernet-Express-Network-XG-C100F/dp/B07VLC7LT3/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Asus+XG-C100C+10G&qid=1578033225&sr=8-2

They're simply expensive and as @RadiatingLight said, most people simply don't need any more. How often do you transfer huge files between computers (with a fast enough SSD) to make it worthwhile?

I'm actually in the 0.1%.... My ISP offers beyond 1Gbps downstream during non peak hours...

derp

Just now, Linksys120n said:

I'm actually in the 0.1%.... My ISP offers beyond 1Gbps downstream during non peak hours...

There's also 2.5 Gbps and 5 Gbps. As far as I'm aware 2.5 Gbps is slowly becoming available in newer motherboards. You'll still need to upgrade your routers/switches and possibly cables.

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

There's also 2.5 Gbps and 5 Gbps. As far as I'm aware 2.5 Gbps is slowly becoming available in newer motherboards. You'll still need to upgrade your routers/switches and possibly cables.

also hindsight is really ramming my holes good tonight... after getting scammed by the chinese for 50 bucks....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00023433U/ref=dp_cerb_2?th=1

derp

1 minute ago, Linksys120n said:

also hindsight is really ramming my holes good tonight... after getting scammed by the chinese for 50 bucks....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00023433U/ref=dp_cerb_2?th=1

Heh, technically correct, if you consider 1 Gbps in both directions at the same time to be 2 Gbps :D

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Heh, technically correct, if you consider 1 Gbps in both directions at the same time to be 2 Gbps :D

thanks... my brain is a bit broken tonight.

derp

1gb hasn't been the normal for very long. I still remember when network cards where something most consumers didn't have, and then 10/100 was considered as fast as will be ever needed. 

10gb will eventually become standard, but it'll trickly down into the odd component for a fair while first. There's still huge swags of consumers in Australia who have 1gb but only 10/100 equipment. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

10g ethernet was difficult and expensive for a long time because of the transmission power required to send the bits through 100 meters of cable.

The chips were big and hot because of this, so they required heatsinks and also,quite a few components around it.

The latest Aquantia chips manage with just a smaller heatsink because as far as I know, they're made on a 28nm process, or some kind of similar process that gets better efficiency, heats less etc ... previous chips were made on 45nm or 65nm and produced more heat.

In addition to that, being 10g (1250 MB/s) you needed at the very least 2 pci-e 2.0 lanes (2x500 MB/s) to get close to 10g bandwidth, so to have 10g onboard you'd sacrifice quite a few pci-e lanes supplied by chipsets so you lose pci-e x1 slots, or m.2 connectors, or other things.

In datacenters, they don't use 10g ethernet that much, because optical fiber cards use less power and have less latency and you have.. there's switches like this Arista for example which has 32 x 40 gbps ports, and each of those 40g ports can be split into 4 x 10g ports, so you have 128 10g ports in a switch. In contrast, you pay ~ 50-75$ per port on a 10g ethernet switch.

Even plain 10g switches... can you get 24 10g ports for 320$ ?

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

10g ethernet was difficult and expensive for a long time because of the transmission power required to send the bits through 100 meters of cable.

The chips were big and hot because of this, so they required heatsinks and also,quite a few components around it.

The latest Aquantia chips manage with just a smaller heatsink because as far as I know, they're made on a 28nm process, or some kind of similar process that gets better efficiency, heats less etc ... previous chips were made on 45nm or 65nm and produced more heat.

In addition to that, being 10g (1250 MB/s) you needed at the very least 2 pci-e 2.0 lanes (2x500 MB/s) to get close to 10g bandwidth, so to have 10g onboard you'd sacrifice quite a few pci-e lanes supplied by chipsets so you lose pci-e x1 slots, or m.2 connectors, or other things.

In datacenters, they don't use 10g ethernet that much, because optical fiber cards use less power and have less latency and you have.. there's switches like this Arista for example which has 32 x 40 gbps ports, and each of those 40g ports can be split into 4 x 10g ports, so you have 128 10g ports in a switch. In contrast, you pay ~ 50-75$ per port on a 10g ethernet switch.

Even plain 10g switches... can you get 24 10g ports for 320$ ?

um that's great and all but my modem is like 1 meter from my pc... not 100.

even in 99% of homes most pcs are at most 10meters from the internet source, IE the modem.

derp

Most consumers today are only interested in better speeds over WiFi which is going to drive innovation in that area. Look at how often you’re seeing a new WiFi 6 device pop up now.

Average consumer needs are what drive innovation and competition so until there is a need for a pipe that big it is probably going to stay a product for enthusiast and professionals.

59 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

and by we I mean my family alone has had it

buy some 10 gig hardware?

419.gif

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

buy some 10 gig hardware?

419.gif

I tried to... but shopped around for a good price... and scammed by a chinese seller that may run off with my money at best, or much worse with my info.

derp

3 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

scammed by a chinese seller that may run off with my money

did you pay for it with some form of payment that has no insurance of any form? like..... coins?

But what I was getting at was the only thing holding you back from 10gig is just buying the hardware. You actually phrased your question as to why YOU don't have it and not us. Basically just buy the hardware , thats why.

24 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

um that's great and all but my modem is like 1 meter from my pc... not 100.

even in 99% of homes most pcs are at most 10meters from the internet source, IE the modem.

A standard is not made for a small percentage of the users.

Think a classroom or some office floor where you have let's say 10 rows each with 2-3 desks and you have the network rack in a corner of the room - some desks will be 2-3 meters away from the rack, some may be 20-30 meters away from the switch.

The standard was made to be support 100 meters, just like previous standards.

You have fiber 10g cards and if you only need less than 5 meters, you can get a cheap Direct Attach Cable  or you can get 2 transceivers and a cheap fiber cable.

They're less popular on desktop boards because the amount of space the optics require (kinda hard to put them on the io shield when they're this big: )

btw the card below is on sale for 60$ : https://www.unixplus.com/collections/network-adapters/products/refurbished-supermicro-aoc-stgn-i2s-10gbe-ethernet-adapter-rev-1-01

image.thumb.png.ad21db868a358a9a1052d6c4534bd378.png

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

did you pay for it with some form of payment that has no insurance of any form? like..... coins?

But what I was getting at was the only thing holding you back from 10gig is just buying the hardware. You actually phrased your question as to why YOU don't have it and not us. Basically just buy the hardware , thats why.

1st thing. it was paypal, yes the real one. and I made them aware that the seller seems a bit shady.

2nd. I was asking why is the asus one pretty much the only option for consumers? What if I got burned buying asus products before?

derp

3 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

What if I got burned buying asus products before?

get over it? ok maybe thats not the best answer. but at least know that it's not like theres a single guy that is designing all asus's products. I've had bad asus laptops before , but good asus motherboards. so if its all thats available buy it and get a warranty

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

get over it? ok maybe thats not the best answer. but at least know that it's not like theres a single guy that is designing all asus's products. I've had bad asus laptops before , but good asus motherboards. so if its all thats available buy it and get a warranty

sigh, I guess I'll have to... but after paypal gets back to me on the whereabouts and rightfull owner of what used to be my 50 bucks

derp

Dude if you stole all my gigabit stuff and replaced it with 100 megabit stuff I literally would not notice and I’m a relatively heavy user. Most home network traffic at this point is direct to external, making it limited by internet speed.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

I am planning to upgrade my network to 10Gbps at some point, but so far it's all too expensive for me to be able to. I am already heavily limited by my gigabit network, so that sucks. Definitely would be nice if there was a good way of upgrading to 10Gbps on a budget.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, Linksys120n said:

My ISP offers beyond 1Gbps downstream during non peak hours...

i'm jealous i've got 50/10 and after 22:00 some sort of bottlenecking starts happening and i can't watch 1080p videos on wifi even though i'm less than 10 meters away from the router.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Just now, WereCatf said:

I am planning to upgrade my network to 10Gbps at some point, but so far it's all too expensive for me to be able to. I am already heavily limited by my gigabit network, so that sucks. Definitely would be nice if there was a good way of upgrading to 10Gbps on a budget.

tell me about it. I mean I can't be the only one with an ISP begging to sell me >1Gbps downloads but are hardware limited...

derp