Dumb question... 10Gig in the home seems to be the Intel 10nm of the networking world... Why?

Linksys120n
16 minutes ago, flashiling said:

i'm jealous i've got 50/10 and after 22:00 some sort of bottlenecking starts happening and i can't watch 1080p videos on wifi even though i'm less than 10 meters away from the router.

My ISP offers me stable 1Gbps downstream even during peak-hours ?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

*shivering in jealousy*

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

as stated before, so does mine. But mine offers >1Gbps during Off-peak hours! (provided I can use it)

I have been able to fool around with 2 redundant cables plus a bit of tweaking in powershell to turn redundant into load ballenced.... (think like a very jank raid 0 instead of raid 1)

But that was indeed janky af.

It did prove that the ISP tells the truth though! I got 1.1 and 1.2 Gbps that way... all be it briefly.

derp

Ever since I watercooled my computer I can't fit a million hard drives in my tower anymore. So I have this 6 hard drive RAID 10 computer in my basement handling all my data storage. I even did RAID 10 for more performance but I should have done RAID 5 because its all bottlenecked by the 1G network anyway.

But I am thinking of rewiring my house to CAT6A to get 10G network. With the current prices of things you can probably two 10G cards and a switch for like $300 or cheaper if you buy used. 

Routing cable is probably the most expensive portion because even buying the equipment to fish wires through your walls is going to be around $100 not including the wires and wall jacks themselves which will probably run you another $100. If you hire someone, it would be even more expensive. Or maybe I should just leave the CAT5 and just run at 2.5G or 5G.

6 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I am planning to upgrade my network to 10Gbps at some point, but so far it's all too expensive for me to be able to. I am already heavily limited by my gigabit network, so that sucks. Definitely would be nice if there was a good way of upgrading to 10Gbps on a budget.

Worth a watch, still not dirt cheap... but not too bad to get 4 devices connected.

The other option is similar, but to get an older enterprise switch with some SFP+ ports. I went with a used Dell N2024P to put in our shop, just waiting on a second one to trunk 10gb between them and then have local 10gb on each side for the servers. All in all should be about $500 for 48 1gb POE+ ports and 2 usable 10gb ports with the other two used to link the two switches at 10gb. You can find even older gear that will have 4 SPF+ ports on them for cheaper, but they were older than I wanted for a network I need to be semi-reliable (I also needed all the POE+ ports for security cameras).

8 hours ago, Linksys120n said:

tell me about it. I mean I can't be the only one with an ISP begging to sell me >1Gbps downloads but are hardware limited...

Comcast will do 2 Gbps fiber to the home. Though at $1000 for installation and $299 a month I don’t think many would consider it .

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Linksys120n said:

as stated before, so does mine. But mine offers >1Gbps during Off-peak hours! (provided I can use it)

I have been able to fool around with 2 redundant cables plus a bit of tweaking in powershell to turn redundant into load ballenced.... (think like a very jank raid 0 instead of raid 1)

But that was indeed janky af.

It did prove that the ISP tells the truth though! I got 1.1 and 1.2 Gbps that way... all be it briefly.

So do you have 10gig or multi gig ports on your PC or router?

AFAIK windows cannot do per packet load balancing and if your router doesn't have 10/multi gig ports you literally cannot go faster than a gig

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

So do you have 10gig or multi gig ports on your PC or router?

AFAIK windows cannot do per packet load balancing and if your router doesn't have 10/multi gig ports you literally cannot go faster than a gig

Wow yet another person who assumes that if they puff out their chest and use mean sounding words that I might ignore the fact that they don't even know the difference between a router and a CABLE MODEM.

Granted most cable modems have small built in routers these days, but I made my point.

Also I explained that it is janky and not a perfect solution it's the powershell command Found here on these very forums

I just ran that on 2 (what would normally be redundant) cat6 cables going between the modem and my pc about 1m away.

derp

12 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

Wow yet another person who assumes that if they puff out their chest and use mean sounding words that I might ignore the fact that they don't even know the difference between a router and a CABLE MODEM.

Granted most cable modems have small built in routers these days, but I made my point.

Also I explained that it is janky and not a perfect solution it's the powershell command Found here on these very forums

I just ran that on 2 (what would normally be redundant) cat6 cables going between the modem and my pc about 1m away.

Sure, I totally have no clue what a router is vs a cable modem... I don't know what words sound mean.

The reason I brought it up is because you cannot just NIC team without setting up anything additional on your router/switch.

I'm just saying your results are not accurate.

19 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

Maybe instead of being a complete tool to people who are far more knowledgeable and have much more experience than you could possibly imagine you could tone down the douchbaggery a bit?

Just because you saw 1.1 or 1.2 Gbps doesn't mean you actually got that especially if it wasn't sustained for more than a few seconds. I can run a speed test right now and it will show I get 1.6Gbps upload speed for a bit before it settles back down. Guess what, that speed isn't possible simple based on the fact that the interface from the firewall to the ISP's router is only 1Gbps capable and it comes down to buffering and a badly coded handling of said buffering. Also, in another post you claim to have a 10Gb capable modem, there's just ONE small problem, nothing exists on the market like that. So how about provide the model of this fabled modem and also this fabled 10Gbps equipped laptop too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just to add on to @Lurick. While there are Docsis 3.1 modems with multiple Ethernet out as they support Link Aggeration. The fact is not many ISP's have this feature enabled. I dont know of any Docsis 3.1 modems that have any >1 Gbps ports. The fact is most areas of the world have slow ass internet. Those that do have faster internet are most likely on Fiber. Most cable providers have in the last few years started deploying D3.1 and I think some are waiting for the next Docsis standard as its suppose to offer symertical speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

My 7200rpm NAS drives get around 180MB/s to 200MB/s, but are limited by the 1G network to around 115MB/s. I'd love to upgrade for transfers between my desktop and NAS.

The Aquantia NICs are 100$ each and a Netgear GS110MX is 200$ (only need 2x 10G ports). So that's 400$ for a little time saving, not worth it yet in my case. My next desktop upgrade I'll get a motherboard with integrated 10G, and by that time the switches should be cheaper.

12 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I totally have no clue what a router is vs a cable modem

Well you do only have CCNP, might have to upgrade to CCIE to understand it.

16 hours ago, Linksys120n said:

NIC teaming is a point to multipoint solution generally only useful for servers with many connecting clients or between switches. Teaming more than one NIC on a Windows computer is not going to increase the bandwidth you can actually use towards the internet because there is only a single Layer 3 path and a single Layer 2 MAC address your traffic is going through. Your router is a single point, single path and additionally is NAT'ing your traffic so when it comes to IPv4 you'll never see any more than the speed of a single NIC. The reason for that is path selection is static per application or device session so a single NIC/path will be selected and traffic will take this path until the path fails or you establish a new session, or an extra additional session if the teaming mode on both ends allows for this (hash method).

NIC teaming is a LAN solution, it's pretty useless when exiting the network and going through border networking devices.

It's best to ignore NIC teaming because it doesn't do anything for home usage. The only way to actually get more bandwidth reliably at home is to upgrade to the next faster ethernet standard, which would be multi-gigabit (2.5/5/10) or 10Gb.