How much an IPhone would have cost in 1991

hal9001

According to iphonehacks.com

"Considering only memory, processing, and broadband communications power, duplicating the iPhone back in 1991 would have (very roughly) cost: $1.44 million + $620,000 + $1.5 million = $3.56 million."

"The calculations do not take into account features like the camera, software, motion sensors, display and a lot more, but go on to show that even the most basic requirements would have pushed the iPhone’s price into the millions."

Would you have bought an IPhone in the early 90s?

lolnope. I don't have that kind of money.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

"Considering only memory, processing, and broadband communications power, duplicating the iPhone back in 1991 would have (very roughly) cost: $1.44 million + $620,000 + $1.5 million = $3.56 million."

"The calculations do not take into account features like the camera, software, motion sensors, display and a lot more, but go on to show that even the most basic requirements would have pushed the iPhone’s price into the millions."

Please include a link to your source.

If i wanted to be the ULTIMATE HIPSTER, i would've saved up and bought it! :D

who cares...

Well i wouldn't have "$3.56 million" and i hate my current iPhone , so No.

Sorry. I am new to LTT. Here is the source.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/02/iphone-cost-1991.html

Edit your first post and add it there

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

No one liked apple in the 90's thats why they made the ipod 

this doesn't make sense

that kind of tech couldnt have existed in the early 90's what so ever

the fabrication process wasn't invented yet

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

3.56 million to manufacture,not to sell.Apple would have sold them for 10 millions. D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

this doesn't make sense

that kind of tech couldnt have existed in the early 90's what so ever

the fabrication process wasn't invented yet

I think it's more based around ratios of specs instead of physical parts, like one dollar buys you this much storage, etc

I'm sure it cost a lot more than that to get to the stage that we are at now!

The lack of 3 and 4G reception would be quite annoying indeed. Also the lack of apps and any form of cloud storage, why hasn't this been mentioned?

Nope wouldn't have gotten it because I don't really use a phone that much and would have waited for Android where it is full of customization features. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

ltlc1v.jpg

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

What they are not including in the price, is 100 million $ for a private nuclear power plant. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

So I wander how much my GTX 680 would have cost back then. Maybe in the region of a few billion £.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

hey now, duplicate my pc, they could do that, it would be way over $1 billion considering the nm process of my gpu and cpu.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

But in 1991 the iphone woudnt work because there are no towers that support phone signals

Implying there were no cellphones in 1991? We're still talking about the 90's, not the 1950's.

'I had an iPhone before it was technologically possible' is every hipster's dream

So.. I saved $10miliions by waiting 20 years. That means i saved $500k/year. What an investment!!