How much an IPhone would have cost in 1991

hal9001

Implying there were no cellphones in 1991? We're still talking about the 90's, not the 1950's.

That weren't on the same bandwidth as today.

And this is my reason for no... It would be pretty useless. I didn't even have internet back in 91, didn't get it until 95 and even then it was 56k.

I think its funny how they included broadband communications as there was no infrastructure to use it back in 91, but they excluded everything that could be used back in 91.  I'm thinking the broadband communications (lets forget about 3g, 4g, LTE, did wifi even exist outside of a lab back then?) is a huge chunk of that 3.56 mil...  I'd rather see a figure of them excluding the broadband and including everything else

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Implying there were no cellphones in 1991? We're still talking about the 90's, not the 1950's.

cell phone towers didn't support iphone because of outdated technology. They were upgraded in the early 2000s

It would of been some form of alien technology back then. During that time people were carrying phones the sizes of tablets or something, and they weighed like crazy amounts.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

According to iphonehacks.com

"Considering only memory, processing, and broadband communications power, duplicating the iPhone back in 1991 would have (very roughly) cost: $1.44 million + $620,000 + $1.5 million = $3.56 million."

"The calculations do not take into account features like the camera, software, motion sensors, display and a lot more, but go on to show that even the most basic requirements would have pushed the iPhone’s price into the millions."

Would you have bought an IPhone in the early 90s?

Pshhh It would seem stupid back then anyway because the Newspaper was so interesting why use this "iphone" You speak of :o

3.56 million to manufacture,not to sell.Apple would have sold them for 10 millions. D:

They already do.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

And this is my reason for no... It would be pretty useless. I didn't even have internet back in 91, didn't get it until 95 and even then it was 56k.

The internet came out in 1990...

The internet came out in 1990...

I was talking about myself...

But okay in a perfect scenario were Windows 3.x would have supported it, formats like mp3 and FLAC existed, any decent digital video formats existed and people had the technology to develop apps, then it would still be no because I wouldn't have the $3.56m it would supposedly cost. :lol:

cell phone towers didn't support iphone because of outdated technology. They were upgraded in the early 2000s

I am fairly certain that modern phones are able to support GSM, again, standards of the 90's isn't part of some distant stone age to which all modern technology is incompatible.

The "50's thing" was more of a sarcastic response than a factual one. However, my point still stands, a modern phone would function quite well as just a phone in the 90's. For all else, see my previous posts.

this doesn't make sense

that kind of tech couldnt have existed in the early 90's what so ever

the fabrication process wasn't invented yet

this

I mean come on it's like saying how much a  a I pad  mini would cost in 2000 it just doesnt make sense.

anyway it would have seen alien the internet was not used publicly until 1995 ( and I mean modern day internet)  and touch screen were really limited and not used much.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

The "50's thing" was more of a sarcastic response than a factual one. However, my point still stands, a modern phone would function quite well as just a phone in the 90's. For all else, see my previous posts.

Yeah okay, it would work on GSM, none of this is serious though :lol: but okay my point was that it's not going to have any real functionality except as a very compact phone in the early 90s.

If I got teleported back to the early 90s I would honestly cry, it was like the dark ages compared to today, I like this topic though because it really makes you think how much has changed in such a short space of time.

Am I alone in reading this headline and immediately getting the back to the future theme in the back of my head?

-------

Current Rig

-------

I know I would've not believed my eyes and would have wanted one soooo bad. Hindsight 20/20 :rolleyes: .

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

The 1990's, a time where the technologies in an iPhone are actually impressive. lol jk but na no way I'd pay that much.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Is that 1991 or 2014 money?

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

How big would it be?

We didn't have the technology back then to make it as small. 

It would have been priceless the whole world in awe.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Edit your first post and add it there

he is new take it Eaze... You may scare him!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Wow.

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB