Store Wars: WinRAR strikes back - WinRAR files DMCA claim against pirates

rcmaehl
1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This absolutely.  They already have built in zip support which is great, but it's one of the lesser used formats as far as I can tell.  Rar and 7zip are definitely at the top in my experience, and probably in that order, at least among Windows things.  I know the Linux side uses a ton of tar.gz and so on but that's another story.  I can understand having issues with RAR licensing but that doesn't change the fact it would be nice, and considering they managed it with mp3 and other proprietary formats, I don't see why they couldn't.  The less extra custom software necessary for daily tasks the better imo.  I loved the addition of the built in ISO mounter in Windows 10 even though I don't use it very often.  This could be another one of those.

You've no idea how nice the built in ISO mounter is for..... let's just say stuff.

Yeah, stuff. Installing stuff one might not have the disc for, or a CD burner, or blank CD's.

or a license to install....

So I'm okay with piracy, but seriously, WinRAR? That's a bit far. If accidentally buying WinRAR is the actual secret to getting into heaven, surely pirating it gets you a one way ticket to hell.

Spoiler

Image result for winrar heaven comic

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why is this news?

WinRAR is trialware, even if it's an indefinite trial. If you plug in a key that you didn't buy, that's piracy.

They're perfectly fine to issue a DMCA here. I literally see zero reason that this is a problem.

Compression still has a ton of uses, such as moving or emailing large amounts of small files and documents. Compress them up into 1 neat and tidy file. We use it at my company constantly. Emailing 30+ sections of reports and files/photos would cause the receiver to rage if you had to email them as separate files. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

1 hour ago, miagisan said:

Compression still has a ton of uses, such as moving or emailing large amounts of small files and documents. Compress them up into 1 neat and tidy file. We use it at my company constantly. Emailing 30+ sections of reports and files/photos would cause the receiver to rage if you had to email them as separate files. 

I don't think anyone is saying that it is useless. To be clear, my point was that built-in Windows zip support, for many/most people, is plenty fine. Now of course, if you use it a lot, performance most likely matters, or you tend to work with different compression formats (which Windows doesn't support natively), then yea get a program paying or what many are saying... free... open source even, like 7zip. No point in pirating a software at this point.

54 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't think anyone is saying that it is useless. To be clear, my point was that built-in Windows zip support, for many/most people, is plenty fine. Now of course, if you use it a lot, performance most likely matters, or you tend to work with different compression formats (which Windows doesn't support natively), then yea get a program paying or what many are saying... free... open source even, like 7zip. No point in pirating a software at this point.

Oh I agree, was responding to the person that said zipped/compressed files were useless in this day and age. Sorry forgot to quote them. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

17 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

Why is this news?

WinRAR is trialware, even if it's an indefinite trial. If you plug in a key that you didn't buy, that's piracy.

They're perfectly fine to issue a DMCA here. I literally see zero reason that this is a problem.

This just highlights for me there is a subset of pirates who do it out of entitlement, spite or some other petulant misgiving.   It's basically free for fucks sake, what more do people want. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

This just highlights for me there is a subset of pirates who do it out of entitlement, spite or some other petulant misgiving.   It's basically free for fucks sake, what more do people want. 

Only thing I can see being an even vaguely plausible reason for them to do something like this is if they tried to pay for it and were refused.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Most will just be doing it for the technical challenge, or simply for the lulz. Probably the latter in this case, precisely becasue of the irony of cracking something that everybody's using as "perpetual trial" anyway.

Not winrar, but that's one I took myself way back :P

PSP.jpg.f1502ee73259e2d27b8c5ef3eedee491.jpg

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Peazip!

tar -cvf!

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

lol winrar must be desperate for cash. it was annoying back in the day when I had to install trial winrar just to open a download.

7Zip

Why would anyone go to the trouble of pirating WinRAR?

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

With 7zip you can decompress RARs but not create them. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 12/12/2019 at 12:45 PM, Kilrah said:

With 7zip you can decompress RARs but not create them. 

Why would you need to create a RAR nowadays when .7z exists?

As long as you can access archived RARs, I don't really see any need to then recompress that data into an outdated and proprietary format. 

3 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

Why would you need to create a RAR nowadays when .7z exists?

As long as you can access archived RARs, I don't really see any need to then recompress that data into an outdated and proprietary format. 

7-Zip doesn't (yet) exist for Android. WinRar does exist though. ;)

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…