[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

1 hour ago, Slacklord said:

I'm building a future proof-ish mid range gaming PC, but my issue is PSU, right now I'm aiming for the Corsair RM650 80+ Gold, I found it for 210 USD taxes + shipping included, Is that a good price to get it for, or are there other alternatives.

Any feedback is welcome.

See pinned message at the top:  "For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs."

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

Opened up a Seasonic B12 BC-550

Yeah ... Such Seasonic, much quality ! I guess Aris ain't getting any review samples of this thing because i don't think he'll say good things about it ... The OEM is Helly Technology, parent of 1st Player, this platform is used in their Armour (AR) series we don't have any reviews on either. So, eternal low priority subtier here.

PS: Can you make a picture of supervisor IC (it looks like it's in the top right corner of the first photo, second IC from the top with kinda star logo on it, right beside the inductor, or possibly the one right in the center below blue Asia'x cap, partially covered in putty), and DC-DC controllers (topmost chip on DC-DC daugtherboards).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Yeah ... Such Seasonic, much quality ! I guess Aris ain't getting any review samples of this thing because i don't think he'll say good things about it ... The OEM is Helly Technology, parent of 1st Player, this platform is used in their Armour (AR) series we don't have any reviews on either. So, eternal low priority subtier here.

PS: Can you make a picture of supervisor IC (it looks like it's in the top right corner of the first photo, second IC from the top with kinda star logo on it, right beside the inductor, or possibly the one right in the center below blue Asia'x cap, partially covered in putty), and DC-DC controllers (topmost chip on DC-DC daugtherboards).

It doesn't even look like platform made by Seasonic itself. For example S12III and A12 looks much different inside, all capacitors are Teapo:
https://ithardware.pl/testyirecenzje/test_zasilacza_seasonic_s12iii_500_w_lider_klasy_budzetowej-11808-4.html

11 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Seasonic B12 BC-550

But.. but... It's Seasonic!  Seasonic is tier 1!  Only the bestest!  They make all of Corsair's PSUs!!!

10 hours ago, Juular said:

PXL_20210416_174214460.jpg

PXL_20210416_174343158.jpg

PXL_20210416_174431826.jpg

PXL_20210416_174518611.jpg

PXL_20210416_174657399.jpg

PXL_20210416_174809067.jpg

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

But.. but... It's Seasonic!  Seasonic is tier 1!  Only the bestest!  They make all of Corsair's PSUs!!!

You're a fanboy? 🤣

8 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

@--SID--Maybe you can send it to Aris and see if he can review it 😀?

Better buy it himself. Shipping cost is almost €70 for that €55 unit.

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Better buy it himself. Shipping cost is almost €70 for that €55 unit.

But that's the best way for Aris to get his PSUs, he probably won't buy it himself (like it has always been, right?) 🤣.

So the CM6901T6X must be the LLC controller, and the protection IC should be the PS223. So it missing OTP&UVP might just be a mistake on Seasonic's part?

Also the 1st Player Armor Gold has complete protection (with UVP and OTP), so I'm pretty sure Seasonic is wrong to not include them in the product page.

32 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

But that's the best way for Aris to get his PSUs, he probably won't buy it himself (like it has always been, right?) 🤣.

So the CM6901T6X must be the LLC controller, and the protection IC should be the PS223. So it missing OTP&UVP might just be a mistake on Seasonic's part?

Also the 1st Player Armor Gold has complete protection (with UVP and OTP), so I'm pretty sure Seasonic is wrong to not include them in the product page.

OTP could be done via the fan controller.  

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

OTP could be done via the fan controller.  

Can ocp protection missed in s12iii/A12 be replaced by opp and is this still meet the ATX standard?.

4 hours ago, Sapphiree said:

Can ocp protection missed in s12iii/A12 be replaced by opp and is this still meet the ATX standard?.

For the 12V sure, but not for the minor rails.

10 hours ago, Sapphiree said:

Nope.

6 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

For the 12V sure, but not for the minor rails.

Correct.

If you're going to use mag amp, group regulation, etc. you really need to use an IC that supports OCP for all of the output rails.  DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V would use the converter's driver IC for protection.  But heaven forbid you spend an extra fifty cents on a DC to DC circuit or a better IC.  😜

17 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Nope.

Correct.

If you're going to use mag amp, group regulation, etc. you really need to use an IC that supports OCP for all of the output rails.  DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V would use the converter's driver IC for protection.  But heaven forbid you spend an extra fifty cents on a DC to DC circuit or a better IC.  😜

So how did they get all required certification if according to your answer these units are not meet the ATX?

48 minutes ago, doubleflower said:

edited

You can report your own posts and ask to delete them.

3 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

EVGA 750 GA : Review

EDIT: Are there any specific reasons or issues that were selected for Tier B lower priority?

Thanks for the link. As of tier list position, i'm not sure, perhaps a temporary position, it qualifies for tier A so it will be moved there in the low priority subtier in the next revision.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

10 hours ago, Sapphiree said:

So how did they get all required certification if according to your answer these units are not meet the ATX?

Certification bodies don't test for OCP, etc.  If the PSU is overloaded and blows up, it's still "safe".  They (the certification bodies) make sure the PSU doesn't catch fire, electrocute users, etc.

5 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

EVGA 750 GA : Review

Full Bridge LLC/DC to DC, Globe Fan 2BALL

What do you think of this PSU?

EDIT: Are there any specific reasons or issues that were selected for Tier B lower priority?

1598763281-975186818-g_wn.jpg

1598763283-1095088521-g_wn.jpg

1598763284-1679188082-g_wn.jpg

It's actually a decent platform.  Just doesn't work with Ampere cards.

14 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's actually a decent platform.  Just doesn't work with Ampere cards.

Wait, I have never heard of that before. Since the platform seems to be exclusively used on those EVGA PSUs, is it that ONLY this platform is problematic or are there other Andyson-made platform that has issues with Ampere (that you are aware of)?