New leak indicates Galaxy S5 will demolish iPhone6 spec-wise

nicehat

1387416882_578707764_1-plumber-All-Delhi

Apparently a very convincing source, (KDB Daewoo Securities-A top South Korean brokerage), has detailed the S5 in a recent note to clients. Keep in mind that this firm has a long history of revealing accurate details surrounding unannounced devices long before debut.

With that background out of the way, the S5 specs sheet indicates that it will be powered by either a 2.5 GHz quad core Snap Dragon or an octa core 64 bit Exynos SoC clocked @ 2 GHz. Other specs indicate that it will include a 5.2 inch AMOLED display with WQHD resolution (2560 x 1440 pixels), 3 GB RAM, 32/64/128 GB storage options, a 16 MP rear camera, a 3.2 MP front facing camera and a big 3200 mAh battery...

Oh yeah, all metal case

• CPU: 2.5 GHz quad core or 2 GHz octa core (2 discrete versions available)
  • Screen: 5.2 inch AMOLED @ 2560 x 1440
  • RAM/Storage: 3 GB with 32/64 storage expansion options
  • Camera: 16 MP rear, 3.2 front
  • Battery 3200 mAh
  • Debut: Q1 or Q2 this year

Again KDB indicates that we are looking at a 4.7/4.8 inch screen while the larger model will sport a 5.5 inch screen. The display will have full HD screens (1920x1080) while the phablet will reah 2k quad HD territory (2272 x 1280 pixels). Other highlights include 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB and 128 GB internal storage options, 2 GB RAM, 8 MP rear facing cameral, a 3.2 MP front facing camera, and 1800 mAh battery

• CPU: A8 64 bit processor
  • Screen: 4.7/4.8 inch HD @1920 x 1080
  • Storage: 2 GB RAM with 32/64/128 storage depending on phone/phablet
  • Camera: 8 MP rear, 3.2 front
  • Battery 1800 mAh
  • Debut: Q2 Q3 this year

http://bgr.com/2014/02/03/galaxy-s5-specs-leak-kdb/

http://bgr.com/2014/02/03/iphone-6-specs-leak-kdb/

Apple-vs-Android-image-001.jpeg

Go BlackBerry!

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

1440p, sigh. I can't even get that on my PC yet for a reasonable price. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

i like the look of SGS5..

But the specs arent anything that blows the roof of todays stuff

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

moar cores

specs from a year ago are still perfectly fine today, hopefully they'll fix some of the other crap associated with smartphones (probably not cuz gotta flail around massive #1 specs peen)

I'll never understand. This is getting kind of ridiculous, the res isn't needed and I can't imagine what on Android would need 8 mobile cores. Battery life, software, and usability are so much more important it's not like you freaking need alien technology specs in a phone to make it a good phone. If that phone can last two days without a charge I'll be happy. 

I'm definitely not going to be buying a Samsung phone. At this point you may as well ignore the specs of the phones in the comparisons since the performance differences are going to be marginal at best outside of phone benchmarking (lol) 

Error: 410

time and time again it has showed that "best" specs doesn't mean best experience

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

moar cores

specs from a year ago are still perfectly fine today, hopefully they'll fix some of the other crap associated with smartphones (probably not cuz gotta flail around massive #1 specs peen)

Even older: The Moto X is perfectly fine. This is one thing that I hope Samsung tones down with their new "We won't keep forking Android into our own OS" deal with google and actually put more money on stuff we actually need, i.e. Less cores, more battery

Edit: The more telling part is that 1800mAh battery on the iPhone 6.

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously? Are they going for something as thin as cardboard? WHY! Why is it so damn difficult to get this right: Give me more battery time, I'll take some bulk on my phone vs the bulk of constantly carrying a charger and juicing up twice as day.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'll never understand. This is getting kind of ridiculous, the res isn't needed and I can't imagine what on Android would need 8 mobile cores.

Alot of people said the same thing when 1080p tech came out to usurp 720...Not disagreeing with you, but who knows, consumers might look back at 1080 phones and scoff like many do at 720 today

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

moar cores

I'll never understand. This is getting kind of ridiculous, the res isn't needed and I can't imagine what on Android would need 8 mobile cores. Battery life, software, and usability are so much more important it's not like you freaking need alien technology specs in a phone to make it a good phone. If that phone can last two days without a charge I'll be happy. 

I'm definitely not going to be buying a Samsung phone. At this point you may as well ignore the specs of the phones in the comparisons since the performance differences are going to be marginal at best outside of phone benchmarking (lol) 

But just think of the people (like me) who don't mind doing some tweaking and putting lets say Ubuntu on a phone. Then the 8 cores will be more relevant. But still awaiting for the Note 4 (S series phones are too small for me)

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Alot of people said the same thing when 1080p tech came out to usurp 720...Not disagreeing with you, but who knows, consumers might look back at 1080 phones and scoff like many do at 720 today

I wasn't really around for that argument, but when monitors become bigger, the changes in resolution become more apparent, right?

When phone screens don't become that much bigger, what's the point of increasing the resolution more and more for almost no gains except for more icons at the cost of requiring more power?

But just think of the people (like me) who don't mind doing some tweaking and putting lets say Ubuntu on a phone. Then the 8 cores will be more relevant. But still awaiting for the Note 4 (S series phones are too small for me)

Maybe, but that's such a niche market. What about most normal people like myself (majority by large amounts) who just want a functional phone to work decently out of the box without having to mess around with the software yourself or have a power brick strapped to your pants?

I'd hope 3200mA battery would alleviate that, but it could have been better.

If you look at it closely, you can tell the difference with like your eyes. Name 1 popular app or game on the play store that would leverage 8 cores....thought so. Hell you'd be hard pressed to find many pc games right now in 2014 that fully use more than 2 or 4 cores.

He's not opposing but making a statement. Games could use 8 cores on a phone if they felt like coding for that, but that's pretty candying stupid. I didn't buy a phone to play games on. 

If you look at it closely, you can tell the difference with like your eyes. Name 1 popular app or game on the play store that would leverage 8 cores....thought so. Hell you'd be hard pressed to find many pc games right now in 2014 that fully use more than 2 or 4 cores.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wasn't really around for that argument, but when monitors become bigger, the changes in resolution become more apparent, right?

When phone screens don't become that much bigger, what's the point of increasing the resolution more and more for almost no gains except for more icons at the cost of requiring more power?

Maybe, but that's such a niche market. What about most normal people like myself (majority by large amounts) who just want a functional phone to work decently out of the box without having to mess around with the software yourself or have a power brick strapped to your pants?

I'd hope 3200mA battery would alleviate that, but it could have been better. 

Raising a generation of people with severe eyestrain for looking at 4k movies on 5 inch screens? Maybe it's an American thing: a health care conspiracy to get more eye surgery.

-------

Current Rig

-------

No I totally agree with what you are saying about monitors and sizes. Now if I cant see the pixels @ 1080, why do I need a better res especially with the hit to the battery? Well I would argue that the first generation with these > 2k display will suffer a bit but not for long. Granted that the extra horsepower of the S5 will be necessary to power this display. But in generations to come, the battery, graphical fidelity and overall media experience will get better. A > 2K display will look alot better than a 1080p display just as a 1080p phone will look alot better than an iPhone's 640p display. Although pixel density is a big component of visual quality, there are more variables to consider.

If you sit 10 feet from a 4k tv and a 2k tv, you will definitely say that the 4 k tv looks better even tho you cant see the pixels in either case. If you havent seen a 4k then we could make the same example with > 2k vs 1080p

Like I said in the previous post. I think the extra horsepower is there to leverage the extra resolution. You also need an extra big battery which is what they have done. All Samsung is trying to do is bring better looking screens mainstream. They will take a hit this generation but the next will be more refined, more efficient and better looking. You might even ask how we got along with 1080p screens. I dont know, its my guess. 

Like I said in the previous post. I think the extra horsepower is there to leverage the extra resolution. You also need an extra big battery which is what they have done. All Samsung is trying to do is bring better looking screens mainstream. They will take a hit this generation but the next will be more refined, more efficient and better looking. You might even ask how we got along with 1080p screens. I dont know, its my guess. 

Fair enough. Although prior to the very recent aforementioned statement of them tunning down on touch wiz, my best guess was that Samsung was pushing specs only to be able to keep up with their own bloatware.

-------

Current Rig

-------

How do the 5S specs destroy the iphone specs? The Iphone 5s has a dual core A7 chip which runs circles around the S4's quad core.

How do the 5S specs destroy the iphone specs? The Iphone 5s has a dual core A7 chip which runs circles around the S4's quad core.

Objectively speaking, the S5 specs above are looking alot better than the iPhone 6's. Now, if in the real world shows a different case with those specs, then thats a different story. But I think most would agree that the specs themselves are unquestionably better as they are listed above.

Lol 3 hour battery life. I'm calling it right now folks.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

moar cores

I usually agree with you but right now you're just being flat out stupid.

How many times do I have to say this? NEVER NEVER EVER say that "x is enough" when it comes to processing power. Never.

You are just like the people saying 1GHz processors in desktops were unnecessary back in 2000. We will never get new software features unless the hardware is good enough.

I have already debunked the "we can't see more than 1920x1080 on phones" several times so that's completely invalid as well. There is a pretty big diminishing return right now, but the difference is still there.

We also need better CPUs and GPUs simply because faster is better. Why wait 1 second for a web page to render when we could bring it down to 0.5 seconds? Why settle for 30 fps if we can have 60 fps? Why settle for "good enough" when we can have "really good"?

It's "64k ought to be enough for everyone" all over again.

Also, faster chips gives you longer battery life. It's called "race to idle" and what it means is that instead of having the CPU at 100% load for a long period of time, let's say 10 seconds, you can instead have a very powerful CPU do the same work in 2 seconds, and then idle. Sure it might use more power during those 2 seconds than what the other CPU used in 2 seconds, but it goes back to idle much quicker and saves power in the long run.

Do you want longer battery life? Then you should be excited about faster chips.

Do you want better software? Then you should be excited about faster chips.

We don't know the architecture the S5's SoC uses. It is most likely much faster though if you count raw performance.

How does the iPhone 5S' dual core run circles around the S4's quad core? Last time I checked the S4 was faster.

Lol 3 hour battery life. I'm calling it right now folks.

People with Galaxy S 3s said the same thing when they say the specs of the S4 but as it turns out the S4 has longer battery life than the S3.

Why are so many computer enthusiasts so ignorant about smartphones? Seriously, I rarely meet anyone who actually know what they are talking about when it comes to phones.

The iPhone is always behind when it comes to the specs on paper. Hell, the 5S's specs look similar to the Galaxy SII. Real world performance though always puts it above just about anything else available. 

@LAwLz glad to see someone else understands what you do!

I'll add to that the fact that higher numbers attract more people to the product because 98% of the market believes higher numbers are better.

We could easily have cars that push 200mpg. However the keep upping the horsepower (and overall size of the vehicle) instead. Because for the most part, higher numbers sell.

One thing that disappoints me is the 3200mah battery size in the S5. Oppo is planning a 4000mah, Lenovo has 4000mah, hell even Motorola has a phone with a 3500mah on a 1080p device.

Seems like a huge oversight.

I'm also betting we never see the 128gb model in real life. Maybe, maybe the 64gb. Hopefully they don't overcharge on storage like Apple does.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I usually agree with you but right now you're just being flat out stupid.

How many times do I have to say this? NEVER NEVER EVER say that "x is enough" when it comes to processing power. Never.

You are just like the people saying 1GHz processors in desktops were unnecessary back in 2000. We will never get new software features unless the hardware is good enough.

I have already debunked the "we can't see more than 1920x1080 on phones" several times so that's completely invalid as well. There is a pretty big diminishing return right now, but the difference is still there.

We also need better CPUs and GPUs simply because faster is better. Why wait 1 second for a web page to render when we could bring it down to 0.5 seconds? Why settle for 30 fps if we can have 60 fps? Why settle for "good enough" when we can have "really good"?

It's "64k ought to be enough for everyone" all over again.

Also, faster chips gives you longer battery life. It's called "race to idle" and what it means is that instead of having the CPU at 100% load for a long period of time, let's say 10 seconds, you can instead have a very powerful CPU do the same work in 2 seconds, and then idle. Sure it might use more power during those 2 seconds than what the other CPU used in 2 seconds, but it goes back to idle much quicker and saves power in the long run.

Do you want longer battery life? Then you should be excited about faster chips.

Do you want better software? Then you should be excited about faster chips.

You do bring up some very valid points, and mobile is not my forte. 

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough, I don't have a problem with them tacking on better and better specs, what I do have a problem with is them raising specs without putting much into it in terms of battery life and user experience. 

Perhaps it would vary from user to user, but in this case X IS enough for me, I honestly can't imagine a scenario where I need that high end of a phone processor, or anyone else currently really. Yes, it improves battery life, but are we really at that point where that is the most efficient use of money? Exclude the money from adding that, exclude R&D costs since it's unrelated, reduce the phone price or put it elsewhere (UI development, better software functionality, more efficient software, better battery life.) I'd love if smart phones went towards more pragmatic growth instead of making it into an expensive toy that does cool things while looking really nice. I'd like a phone that isn't a brick and can survive a 3 foot fall. 

The flagship phone does not need flagship components, if you get what I'm trying to say. The specs should be one general aspect in regards to how a phone functions and how well it serves those needs. I will settle for "good enough" in one aspect if we can instead transmute the gains towards making a terrible aspect into something decent. 

A phone with good specs and shit everything else is not worth buying in my eyes. I shouldn't have to compromise aspects of a phone while paying a small fortune for characteristics that I don't want today, but might need in the future where it's already out of date. For reasons like this is why if an iPhone weren't as chained to the ground as it is by Apple (not in terms of hardware), it would take strong consideration as a phone for me. 

>iPhone 6

>1080p screen

>1800MaH battery

Apple, you serious? That's going to get drained SO FAST. 

COMIC SANS

>iPhone 6

>1080p screen

>1800MaH battery

Apple, you serious? That's going to get drained SO FAST. 

to put that on contrast i have a WP8 whit a 1950MaH battery (last 2 days whit very light use like 2 or 3 phone calls and some internet browsing but i drains stupidly fast as soon as you launch a 3D game) and its the most cheap one (is 200$ off contract) specs are nothing to be impressed but if a cheap phone can have a bigger battery, its blatantly stupid that the premium that apple charges on iphones give you a worst battery that a low end handset

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here