Far Cry New Dawn Benchmark shows performance on Linux within 2% to 3% of performance on Windows

ryao
3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Ppl are just tired of all of the crapware manufacturers put on their laptop, for them the built in apps of win10 falls into that category. At least thats my experience. And usually i am the "victim" who has to do the cleanup for them. The get firefox with adblock and a few more minor addons, VLC, LO(some of them wanted MSO but they werent able to show me the key) and thats about it.  Except my niece, she installs all kind of crap.... ?  (If i could switch her over to linux that would be a whole lot less headache.)

What people?  the 500 million odd soccer mum's who don't know the difference between google and the internet?   No one cares, most people think the bloatware that comes with HP is important to maintaining the computer.  They don't give a fuck, they turn it on and use it.  The same cannot be said for Linux no matter how you twist it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

When saying windows i mean win10, as 7 sadly is on its way out... :(

Then, what about all the old Linux Distros? Pot, meet kettle?

As said, Linux certainly has strengths. Certain distros also. No doubt, many users are happy with Mint if only Web browsing and occasional letter writing (Word not needed for home use). So I don't totally agree with Moose above (ninja'd) that the same cannot be said for Linux. People use Android now, and iOS and other "smart TVs", Linux has a place currently where it can meet all those devices in usability... even if it don't meet Windows compatibility (through no fault of it's own, and more market segmentation).

But a LOT of things Win10/7 does cannot be done else where.

PPS, you clicked too quick Moose, I might have changed my post, and you clicked "agree". :P

10 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

PPS, you clicked too quick Moose, I might have changed my post, and you clicked "agree". :P

If you change the whole thing then I might have to retract the "agree", however I usually click agree even if there is only one aspect of a post I agree with.   In this case I agree with all of it so it's more than fine.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

If you change the whole thing then I might have to retract the "agree", however I usually click agree even if there is only one aspect of a post I agree with.   In this case I agree with all of it so it's more than fine.

That's ok. Just felt I had to add that little bit you ninja'd my reply on. XD

25 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Ppl are just tired of all of the crapware manufacturers put on their laptop

you've moved past the goal point here, is your problem with manufactures putting bloatware or Windows? 

42 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Say that to yourself as it was mentioned several times you do not need the terminal anymore. Stop spreading outdated information.

say that to every LTT video i've ever seen in the last 6 months. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

5 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

you've moved past the goal point here

Read fu?ther, ppl classify the default apps as crapware(thats why i brought it up). Not moving anything

On 10/6/2019 at 3:38 AM, RelativeMono said:

nothing you said has anything to do with what i said

Read the context of what you wrote. It was a reply to something and you said nobody would say that. I replied to the contrary.

4 hours ago, ryao said:

Read the context of what you wrote. It was a reply to something and you said nobody would say that. I replied to the contrary.

im saying youre nobody

ratirlClassy.png

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

On 10/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

say that to every LTT video i've ever seen in the last 6 months. 

I never used it except for git since years, probably just because you can do both things with terminal or a graphical interface? Like even complicate things like PCI passthroughs can be done in GUI using unRaid 

even VM management for hypervisors like KVM using Proxmox instead of using the raw terminal

On 10/7/2019 at 2:34 PM, mr moose said:

Still a standard, you can't ignore reality just because you don't like it.

People don't.  You really need to get out of your bubble and have a look at he real world.    Majority of users do not format sd cards, they buy them and put then straight into their phone/camera.   that's just life for the average person.    Again, why do you expect people to do more and learn to do more just to use Linux when they don't have to?

BS, second page 3rd post, you clearly saying windows is worse, stop lying:

You are still ignoring what people are saying,  what you just said here is an incoherent mess which does not address the chief problem people have been telling you.

Look here:

This is exactly what everyone including myself are saying,   It seems though you are getting hung up on the examples and would rather accuse everyone of being ignorant than accepting what is logical, straightforward and first hand experience for everyone here telling you this.  

- A standard according to who? The company that created it? I guess I can stop paying my taxes now and just claim it's the standard because that's good for me on a personal level (example microshaft).

- "People" doing something wrong or using ignorance/laziness as an excuse doesn't make it right. You also fail to understand that anyone serious about photography will know how to format an SD Card and not everyone lives in "your bubble" of stupidity. I don't expect anyone to learn or use Linux. I expect them to understand that if all they know is windows not to feel entitled to a proprietary file system that's a violatation of FOSS guidelines to ship with the software.

- That's not my post genius. Or is it the "standard" to quote other users and claim that it was someone else? How desperate are you?

On 10/7/2019 at 4:34 AM, leadeater said:

That isn't my problem now is it? I'm not going to willingly lessen my user experience just for a philosophical win, which I rate very low anyway but I legit don't give a damn about Linux or any OS in general. Linux won't hug me back.

Then keep being exploited on windows and quit feeding the fallacy bandwagon for Linux. It makes no difference to me.

Windows users sure are a whiny bunch. You never see Linux users crying about compatibility issues of the Linux specific programs they use running on windows... Funny how that works....

On 10/7/2019 at 12:43 PM, JoostinOnline said:

I just gave you two specific examples unrelated to what he said.  But this whole thread derailing is pointless. It has nothing to with the original topic.

The sad thing is, you really remind me of myself when I was a teenager. I was so unable to see beyond my own experience and skillset that I obnoxiously looked down on anyone who paid more money for what the was a more pleasant experience. I was just as naive as you.

No, you mimicked a generic example provided by another user a couple posts before yours.

As glad as I am to have been of help for you to vent your past frustrations, sadly, I have nothing in common with what you've described. This situation is completely different and quite frankly, completely irrelevant so who's the one truly "derailing" the thread? Pot meet kettle...

12 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

quit feeding the fallacy

It's not a fallacy when the majority of the games I play do not function correctly or as well on Linux. The fallacy is proclaiming there is no reason to not use Windows when there is clear evidence to the counter. Being able to do most of your tasks is not the same as being able to do all of them.

12 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Windows users sure are a whiny bunch. You never see Linux users crying about compatibility issues of the Linux specific programs they use running on windows... Funny how that works....

Whiny bunch? You might want to re-check how often Linux threads and users pipe up about being able to do "everything" on Linux. And you've completely twisted the issue, I don't care about programs not working on Linux, if they don't then they don't and that's it. That's not a complaint, it does however influence whether or not someone would use Linux or Windows. It's only brought up as an issue because YOU are pushing Linux on ME, if YOU don't try to then IT wouldn't be raised.

If it makes no difference to you why are you replying, why are you so insistent that everyone can use Linux? Seems like you really do care otherwise you wouldn't be pushing it, what makes it worse is you're still trying to push it on me when you know Linux for me is going to directly impact my ability to use games I have already purchased and play.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:35 PM, Derangel said:

It doesn't matter why Microsoft's stuff is the standard. What matters is that they are and using anything else requires people to go out of their way to do so and experience issues (solvable issues, but still issues) because of it. It has nothing to do with incompetence or anything like that. Most people have better things to do with their time then fuck around with an OS and research new programs. They want to use a computer with as little fuss as possible. They're not going to want to intentionally inconvenience themselves when there is no real benefit to doing so. And before you throw around some bullshit about how not using Windows or whatever is a benefit, stop. It isn't and you will NEVER convince people that it is. It is a benefit for you and that's great, you do you. The vast majority of people don't care and will never care because they only view computers as a tool to do what they need and nothing else. They're not ignorant or incompetent, they just don't care. There's nothing wrong with not caring either, it simply means they have other things they deem more important than learning all of this stuff.

You keep claiming "people don't care". Who are these "people" exactly?

This is a Linux specific thread that's gone on for 9 pages now so clearly "people" do care regardless of how little they actually know regarding the subject. As is apparent for all the nay-sayers making excuses here.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:18 PM, Kisai said:

Occam's razor. No more assumptions should be made than necessary.

The reason people do not use Linux on the Desktop, is because they can not run MS Office, Photoshop, or Autocad, which are all corner-stone software, and is important for 100% of business that you can't just drop in an unsupported tool and expect everyone to adhere to your philosophy on why it's better, you'll just lose clients or jobs.

If you are a self-employed person, trying to pinch every penny, by all means try to convince people that you will only send them TIFF files without layers, or TXT files, because that's the only thing every word processor is guaranteed to read. I went through a point in my life where I tried to send people things like TXT and RTF files that OpenOffice generated, and the result was just "just send me a word doc please", I have to wonder how many job opportunities were passed up because I ignored a simple request to send them a document in the format they expected, not just one that it can open.

If you want to run Linux on your personal desktop and do all the silly crap needed to make a game work, far be it for me to tell you what you want to waste time on, but time is a valuable resource, and that amount of time you spend configuring things could be better spent not doing so.

All "corner stones" that have 100% viable alternatives that I've already mentioned previously with support for all the file formats you claim to need.

So other then your life story regarding how you failed to do something in the past, why not keep it to yourself and understand that's not accurate today?

I guess if clicking "next" or copy + pasting text is considered "silly crap" you might as well just throw in the towel now and live in a cave back under the rock you came from.

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's not a fallacy when the majority of the games I play do not function correctly or as well on Linux. The fallacy is proclaiming there is no reason to not use Windows when there is clear evidence to the counter. Being able to do most of your tasks is not the same as being able to do all of them.

Whiny bunch? You might want to re-check how often Linux threads and users pipe up about being able to do "everything" on Linux. And you've completely twisted the issue, I don't care about programs not working on Linux, if they don't then they don't and that's it. That's not a complaint, it does however influence whether or not someone would use Linux or Windows. It's only brought up as an issue because YOU are pushing Linux on ME, if YOU don't try to then IT wouldn't be raised.

If it makes no difference to you why are you replying, why are you so insistent that everyone can use Linux? Seems like you really do care otherwise you wouldn't be pushing it, what makes it worse is you're still trying to push it on me when you know Linux for me is going to directly impact my ability to use games I have already purchased and play.

I've repeatedly told you that if you want to use windows then use it, I really don't care. The issue I have is with your pretentious statements that you know something about Linux because you apparently tried it 5 years ago before all the recent advancements were in place as they are now regarding games support. If you wouldn't make such ignorant outdated statements then I wouldn't be putting forth the effort to correct them.

You want to talk about influence? You don't think the long laundry list of microshafts colossal screw ups with windows 10 haven't influenced Linux interest/adoption?

14 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

The issue I have is with your pretentious statements that you know something about Linux because you apparently tried it 5 years ago before all the recent advancements were in place as they are now regarding games support. If you wouldn't make such ignorant outdated statements then I wouldn't be putting forth the effort to correct them.

My statements are factually correct and can be proven by using ProtonDB. I don't need to have used Linux in the last year as a gaming OS to be able to educate myself on the situation, I can preemptively check the situation before wasting my time.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

*snip*

I don't think that there's any point in this discussion being continued. It's more of a flamewar than a discussion about the original topic.

I think we can all agree, regardless of the OS you use, that this is good news. Better performance and compatibility are always great.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

My statements are factually correct and can be proven by using ProtonDB. I don't need to have used Linux in the last year as a gaming OS to be able to educate myself on the situation, I can preemptively check the situation before wasting my time.

Hearsay isn't "factually correct". None the less, I suppose I can just as well "preemtively" laugh at how people that haven't recently used Linux (or in most cases ever) can make statements about it.

Using your logic, I might as well go watch a verge video on how to build a computer because I'm "educating myself". Mean while completely ignoring context or validating the source. This thread is a perfect example. If someone read all the windows fan boy statements about a Linux based OS at face value here they would be under the impression that installing it would lead to suicide.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:45 AM, suicidalfranco said:

Awesome news! Gj Valve!

Wait, I thought Valve was the devil?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

10 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Hearsay isn't "factually correct". None the less, I suppose I can just as well "preemtively" laugh at how people that haven't recently used Linux (or in most cases ever) can make statements about it.

Using your logic, I might as well go watch a verge video on how to build a computer because I'm "educating myself". Mean while completely ignoring context or validating the source. This thread is a perfect example. If someone read all the windows fan boy statements about a Linux based OS at face value here they would be under the impression that installing it would lead to suicide.

So what you're telling me is that Proton has significantly made the situation better but then come back at me saying I cannot trust ProtonDB as a source of information when I check a game for compatibility?

You're telling me the first hand source is not correct or cannot be trusted? Seems like a weird thing to say. If Proton is the one telling me it won't work that is not at all like "The Verge".

Edit:

And given the choice between you and ProtonDB I'll trust ProtonDB.

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

So what you're telling me is that Proton has significantly made the situation better but then come back at me saying I cannot trust ProtonDB as a source of information when I check a game for compatibility?

You're telling me the first had source is not correct or cannot be trusted? Seems like a weird thing to say. If Proton is the one telling me it won't work that is not at all like "The Verge".

Edit:

And given the choice between you and ProtonDB I'll trust ProtonDB.

What I'm saying is that you are cherry picking information to support your narrative while ignoring the positive that is proton.

According to ProtonDB: 6,429 games work. More are being worked towards on a daily basis to increase that number but apparently:

On 10/7/2019 at 1:30 AM, leadeater said:

I play way too many games for that to work out well enough for me.

So I question how you can make such a statement ignoring that number and then clearly allotting such a massive time investment to other less menial tasks such as posting on forums that can be done on pretty much any device with a browser.

So what is it? Do you actually play THAT MANY games that aren't currently compatible or are you just whining for the sake of whining so you can join an uneducated anti-Linux bandwagon?

What's next? Blame Linux for not supporting certain types of DRM in a couple specific use cases all well never having actually tried it yourself?

What I'm saying is that you are cherry picking information to support your narrative while ignoring the positive that is proton.

It's not cheery picking if I'm talking about my situation, that's what matters to me. How good Proton is now and is getting doesn't change if it's a better fit for me. In future every game I play, every game I own, could work but that isn't now so that future state isn't a justification for me to switch now.

If I have a list of games that I want to check and it's not more than say 90% Gold why would I consider a switch?

According to ProtonDB: 6,429 games work. More are being worked towards on a daily basis to increase that number but apparently:

I think you just included Bronze and Silver support games which isn't a good idea if you want to portray Linux as comparable experience, particularly Bronze. 

Do you actually play THAT MANY games that aren't currently compatible

Yes, like I already told you but you don't want to believe it. And no I'm not going to give you my Steam ID or make my profile public so you can check it yourself.

anti-Linux bandwagon

Sure I'm anti-Linux, despite my very first comment in the chain or the fact that I administer Linux servers daily, my home servers are all Linux or BSD based/derivatives. Your personal attachment to the situation seems to be clouding your judgement. Saying it's not a good choice for me is not anti, sometimes you just have to accept that is how it is for now. 

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's not cheery picking if I'm talking about my situation, that's what matters to me. How good Proton is now and is getting doesn't change if it's a better fit for me. In future every game I play, every game I own, could work but that isn't now so that future state isn't a justification for me to switch now.

If I have a list of games that I want to check and it's not more than say 90% Gold why would I consider a switch?

I think you just included Bronze and Silver support games which isn't a good idea if you want to portray Linux as comparable experience, particularly Bronze. 

Yes, like I already told you but you don't want to believe it. And no I'm not going to give you my Steam ID or make my profile public so you can check it yourself.

Sure I'm anti-Linux, despite my very first comment in the chain or the fact that I administer Linux servers daily, my home servers are all Linux or BSD based/derivatives. Your personal attachment to the situation seems to be clouding your judgement. Saying it's not a good choice for me is not anti, sometimes you just have to accept that is how it is for now. 

And these ratings are highly subjective so "bronze" or "silver" could very well be "gold" to another person that might not play multiplayer or utilize the same features as another person rating it.

Don't want to post your steam id, then provide a list of games and which features don't work that you personally need.

Still trying to figure out:

25 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Do you actually play THAT MANY games that aren't currently compatible or are you just whining for the sake of whining

2 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

And these ratings are highly subjective so "bronze" or "silver" could very well be "gold" to another person that might not play multiplayer or utilize the same features as another person rating it.

It's a good thing it's an aggregate of reports then so these differences average out.

4 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Don't want to post your steam id, then provide a list of games and which features don't work that you personally need.

Well the extra things I need is for the game to run at Gold or better or I wont bother, needs to support my G27 wheel if it's a racing game (and supported in Windows) and crossfire works (if it works in Windows).

My library has 328 games in it, good mix of AAA titles then a lot of RTS/TBS games and heaps of JRPGs. I have game franchises that have great or native support like Civilization and Total War and others that are a mix bag like Final Fantasy (WoFF and FFXV do not work at all). Then I have others with terrible support like Call of Duty and Tales. I use Fantasy Grounds every Thursday night.