Far Cry New Dawn Benchmark shows performance on Linux within 2% to 3% of performance on Windows

ryao
33 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's a good thing it's an aggregate of reports then so these differences average out.

Well the extra things I need is for the game to run at Gold or better or I wont bother, needs to support my G27 wheel if it's a racing game (and supported in Windows) and crossfire works (if it works in Windows).

My library has 328 games in it, good mix of AAA titles then a lot of RTS/TBS games and heaps of JRPGs. I have game franchises that have great or native support like Civilization and Total War and others that are a mix bag like Final Fantasy (WoFF and FFXV do not work at all). Then I have others with terrible support like Call of Duty and Tales. I use Fantasy Grounds every Thursday night.

- Not really, it’s like voting in an election…

- Why does “gold” matter without knowing what’s excluded in the games you play?

- The G27 wheel works with very basic copy + paste guides found online. It was not natively released for Linux so this is all your going to get.

Example:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=142372419

- Crossfire? Is this a joke? It doesn’t even scale correctly on most games these days on windows so I’m not sure why you would be applying the double standard to expect it to on Linux.

10 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

- Crossfire? Is this a joke? It doesn’t even scale correctly on most games these days on windows so I’m not sure why you would be applying the double standard to expect it to on Linux.

No, because I've had dual 290X's since they were released and actually have had great success in regards to support. The last 2 years has been worse but that doesn't really surprise me. I don't expect it to work for games where it doesn't on Windows, why would I.

But I'm sure you have first hand experience with crossfire and aren't just parroting hearsay ?.

10 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

- Why does “gold” matter without knowing what’s excluded in the games you play?

Anything less than gold is a worse experience and why my system was built and is used for gaming so worse is not better nor equivalent.

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

So what you're telling me is that Proton has significantly made the situation better but then come back at me saying I cannot trust ProtonDB as a source of information when I check a game for compatibility?

You're telling me the first hand source is not correct or cannot be trusted? Seems like a weird thing to say. If Proton is the one telling me it won't work that is not at all like "The Verge".

Edit:

And given the choice between you and ProtonDB I'll trust ProtonDB.

My suggestion is to use ProtonDB to track progress. It is basically the best indicator that we have for getting a good view of things.

8 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

Wait, I thought Valve was the devil?

why would they?

they are the only one actively trying to make linux a viable platform. Not even GOG as made efforts towards that goal for how much consumer friendly they tend to be

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

27 minutes ago, ryao said:

My suggestion is to use ProtonDB to track progress. It is basically the best indicator that we have for getting a good view of things.

You can link your Stream profile and then filter for games you own, that's really nice.

12 hours ago, Crowbar said:

- A standard according to who? The company that created it? I guess I can stop paying my taxes now and just claim it's the standard because that's good for me on a personal level (example microshaft).

Your just doing this everyone else must be wrong thing again.  I don't need a company telling me anything to know that windows  and office is the standard for today's office environments.  Just like I don't need mobile or BP telling me that petroleum is the standard fuel for cars.  

- "People" doing something wrong or using ignorance/laziness as an excuse doesn't make it right. You also fail to understand that anyone serious about photography will know how to format an SD Card and not everyone lives in "your bubble" of stupidity. I don't expect anyone to learn or use Linux. I expect them to understand that if all they know is windows not to feel entitled to a proprietary file system that's a violatation of FOSS guidelines to ship with the software.

Telling people to do something unnecessary and learn a new OS just because you like it better is not right.  No one cares about FOSS guidelines, they just want their computer to work when they get it.  Said this several times and so has several others in this thread.

- That's not my post genius. Or is it the "standard" to quote other users and claim that it was someone else? How desperate are you?

Please tell me you are not serious?  Of course it's not your post, I clearly said "look here:" and pointed you to it as an example of others telling you exactly the same thing,  I pointed it to you because it was a good summery of all the arguments being given to you.  And your response is to ignore the content and call me a genius and desperate because your arguments and comprehension is failing.   How embarrassing to insult another users because you didn't read the post properly.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, leadeater said:

No, because I've had dual 290X's since they were released and actually have had great success in regards to support. The last 2 years has been worse but that doesn't really surprise me. I don't expect it to work for games where it doesn't on Windows, why would I.

But I'm sure you have first hand experience with crossfire and aren't just parroting hearsay ?.

Anything less than gold is a worse experience and why my system was built and is used for gaming so worse is not better nor equivalent.

Crossfire is dead. If you think it's at all relevant in 2019, this just validates that you live in the past of 5 years ago just like your claim regarding the Linux gaming experience from that time period being applied to today.

How do you know it's worse when you haven't validated it yourself? Who's actually "parroting hearsay"? How do you know that a "silver" rated game won't still do everything you want it to?

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

Your just doing this everyone else must be wrong thing again.  I don't need a company telling me anything to know that windows  and office is the standard for today's office environments.  Just like I don't need mobile or BP telling me that petroleum is the standard fuel for cars.  

Telling people to do something unnecessary and learn a new OS just because you like it better is not right.  No one cares about FOSS guidelines, they just want their computer to work when they get it.  Said this several times and so has several others in this thread.

Please tell me you are not serious?  Of course it's not your post, I clearly said "look here:" and pointed you to it as an example of others telling you exactly the same thing,  I pointed it to you because it was a good summery of all the arguments being given to you.  And your response is to ignore the content and call me a genius and desperate because your arguments and comprehension is failing.   How embarrassing to insult another users because you didn't read the post properly.

- So then who sets the standard? I've asked you several times and you keep dodging the question. Currently microshaft introduced and pushed exfat on a monopolized platform that they own. Would you disagree? In that regard they ARE telling you what to do. Linux however is not owned by microshaft so therefore they have no clout to determine what the standard is in that enviroment. It's like I've endlessly repeated in this thread, you can't expect to do shit the windows way on a Linux system regardless of how badly you've been brainwashed and exploited to think that's the only way.

- I never told anyone to use Linux. In fact, I have told multiple windows fan boys in this very thread that they should be using windows if the reward of freedom requires more effort then they are willing to commit but again keep spreading nonsense just like your previous fallacies so far. You're just adding more fuel to the fire for me to laugh at.

- If you truly believe that your post should be interpretted differently then it has been maybe reflect back on yourself and competently explain what you are trying to indicate better? How pathetic that you think several flawed and outdated opinions that happen to align with your own delusion some how makes you right. The blind leading the blind will only result in being stuck in a dark corner.

5 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

why would they?

they are the only one actively trying to make linux a viable platform. Not even GOG as made efforts towards that goal for how much consumer friendly they tend to be

Uh, what?

Clearly you've never heard of Lutris:

https://lutris.net/

1 hour ago, Crowbar said:

How do you know it's worse when you haven't validated it yourself? Who's actually "parroting hearsay"? How do you know that a "silver" rated game won't still do everything you want it to?

Actually I have, you can even get ProtonDB to scan your Steam library to make the process even simpler. I don't need to literally install Linux and run Proton to know how the experience will be if hundreds of others have done it for me and reported the experience. I don't need to waste time doing what I can find out other ways.

About 100 of my games rate Gold or higher.

Silver:Runs with minor issues, but generally is playable

So worse experience than I get now. I WILL NOT ACCEPT WORSE FOR MY PRIMARY USE CASE!

If the purpose of your system is to play games then Linux is 100% worse platform today, easily provable fact. You're arguing against reality. Your personal willingness to deal with the issues or forgo certain games is your choice. Moving to Linux to play games needs to be done with this knowledge otherwise you are misrepresenting the situation.

Proton is great, it's getting better, it's not as good as Windows. Move along.

Edited by leadeater

56 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Actually I have, you can even get ProtonDB to scan your Steam library to make the process even simpler. I don't need to literally install Linux and run Proton to know how the experience will be if hundreds of others have done it for me and reported the experience. I don't need to waste time doing what I can find out other ways.

About 100 of my games rate Gold or higher.

So worse experience than I get now. I WILL NOT ACCEPT WORSE FOR MY PRIMARY USE CASE!

If the purpose of your system is to play games then Linux is 100% worse platform today, easily provable fact. You're arguing against reality. Your personal willingness to deal with the issues or forgo certain games is your choice. Moving to Linux to play games needs to be done with this knowledge otherwise you are misrepresenting the situation.

Proton is great, it's getting better, it's not as good as Windows. Move along.

Again, you don't actually know what "silver" or "bronze" in these specific scenarios indicates so you are baselessly forming an opinion on a subjective sample of other users. Otherwise known as hearsay.

I guess it shouldn't matter if someone commits a crime or not as long as a handful of people determine them to guilty, right?

Either way, how many of these games do you actively play anyways? Let's assume all the non-gold rated titles are completely unplayable. Surely you don't actively play or even have played all 328 games. Not with 18,000 posts worth of time invested on this forum and a job that you've made abundantly clear you work that apparently provides you with extensive knowledge of a desktop Linux OS despite being a commercial application.

Also funny how you think proton is the only solution to incompatibilities. "Move along".

2 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Again, you don't actually know what "silver" or "bronze" in these specific scenarios indicates so you are baselessly forming an opinion on a subjective sample of other users. Otherwise known as hearsay.

image.thumb.png.ef3f5e8da32c0ce62856dd00cfef5b09.png

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

image.thumb.png.ef3f5e8da32c0ce62856dd00cfef5b09.png

Which as I've also already stated may or may not be applicable to your use case but you would rather ignorantly lump everything into the same generic category of "not good enough" simplly because of an arbitrary non-gold rating.

We already went over this around the same time you tried to state that your G27 wheel wouldn't work as an additional excuse.

18 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Either way, how many of these games do you actively play anyways? Let's assume all the non-gold rated titles are completely unplayable. Surely you don't actively play or even have played all 328 games. Not with 18,000 posts worth of time invested on this forum and a job that you've made abundantly clear you work that apparently provides you with extensive knowledge of a desktop Linux OS despite being a commercial application.

9 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

We already went over this around the same time you tried to state that your G27 wheel wouldn't work as an additional excuse.

lol I never said it didn't work, I listed as a requirement of mine. You're just making things up.

9 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Which as I've also already stated may or may not be applicable to your use case but you would rather ignorantly lump everything into the same generic category of "not good enough" simplly because of an arbitrary non-gold rating.

That is a game I own, EVERY single game I can check the reports and read the issues. There is a reason why the minimum is Gold or higher, hell I'm not even raising a counter point that having to set launch options and not be able to use a controller being rated a Platinum is wrong.

I don't need to waste my time installing Linux and trying Proton to know what the outcome will be, that's the great thing about informative material, you can read it and educate yourself without having to do it.

What is so hard to accept about Linux not being as good of a platform for gaming as Windows, you know it's currently true just seem unwilling to admit it.

Edit:

Also please pick 2/3 of your assets and throw them away or render them unusable please. You don't get to question if or how I use things I have purchased.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

lol I never said it didn't work, I listed as a requirement of mine. You're just making things up.

That is a game I own, EVERY single game I can check the reports and read the issues. There is a reason why the minimum is Gold or higher, hell I'm not even raising a counter point that having to set launch options and not be able to use a controller being rated a Platinum is wrong.

I don't need to waste my time installing Linux and trying Proton to know what the outcome will be, that's the great thing about informative material, you can read it and educate yourself without having to do it.

What is so hard to accept about Linux not being as good a of a platform for gaming as Windows, you know it's currently true just seem unwilling to admit it.

It was never a matter of being as good as windows. I've openly admitted that several DRM implementations simply refuse to run outside windows. This is about your initial post:

On 10/7/2019 at 1:30 AM, leadeater said:

I play way too many games for that to work out well enough for me.

Then when I ask for citation you beat around the bush before finally mentioning that you will only accept "gold" proton compatibility despite not having any prior knowledge of what gold means for all 328 games that you claim must be playable on Linux.

And let's not forget that you initially formed this opinion on having used a desktop Linux distro 5+ years ago and seem to think that proton is the only way to play non-Linux games.

4 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Then when I ask for citation you beat around the bush before finally mentioning that you will only accept "gold" proton compatibility despite not having any prior knowledge of what gold means for all 328 games that you claim must be playable on Linux.

My statement was correct, you knew it was correct yet you wanted to argue it because.... And I did have prior knowledge, I had already manually checked enough games on ProtonDB that I care about to know it was not an option. So much assumptions.

4 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

And let's not forget that you initially formed this opinion on having used a desktop Linux distro 5+ years ago and seem to think that proton is the only way to play non-Linux games.

Again no, you're making stuff up. The conversation was about Proton and it making the experience better and being an alternative to Windows because of it's simplicity.

1 hour ago, Crowbar said:

Uh, what?

Clearly you've never heard of Lutris:

https://lutris.net/

i have

i use it

other than making it easy like PlayOnLinux used to do, it's nothing compared to the kind of work done by Valve. Valve made an improvement on Wine, Lutris simply uses the tools developed by those kind of teams

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

If the purpose of your system is to play games then Linux is 100% worse platform today, easily provable fact.

I disagree. Linux is only about 36% worse in terms of compatibility. :P

3 hours ago, Crowbar said:

- So then who sets the standard? I've asked you several times and you keep dodging the question. Currently microshaft introduced and pushed exfat on a monopolized platform that they own. Would you disagree? In that regard they ARE telling you what to do. Linux however is not owned by microshaft so therefore they have no clout to determine what the standard is in that enviroment. It's like I've endlessly repeated in this thread, you can't expect to do shit the windows way on a Linux system regardless of how badly you've been brainwashed and exploited to think that's the only way.

That doesn't even make sense.   Standards don't have to be decided by someone, they can just come to be through market share.   I t seems you are more interested in throwing insults than discussing though, I have yet to see you get through a sentence without calling me brainwashed, ignorant, uneducated or many of the other things you seem to think is appropriate.

- I never told anyone to use Linux. In fact, I have told multiple windows fan boys in this very thread that they should be using windows if the reward of freedom requires more effort then they are willing to commit but again keep spreading nonsense just like your previous fallacies so far. You're just adding more fuel to the fire for me to laugh at.

You specifically are arguing that people should be reformatting their SD cards and learning how to use Linux because it is better than just using MS out of the box.  Please try to keep up with the discussion rather than keep changing it.

- If you truly believe that your post should be interpretted differently then it has been maybe reflect back on yourself and competently explain what you are trying to indicate better? How pathetic that you think several flawed and outdated opinions that happen to align with your own delusion some how makes you right. The blind leading the blind will only result in being stuck in a dark corner.

and more insults in a paragraph that doesn't even address the discussion.  failed argument much?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, ryao said:

I disagree. Linux is only about 36% worse in terms of compatibility. :P

Woops, forgot to carry the 1 ?

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

Just like I don't need mobile or BP telling me that petroleum is the standard fuel for cars.  

tumblr_n8nmyq7e6l1th015oo8_250.gif&token

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 9/14/2019 at 3:25 AM, mr moose said:

Which is great and all, but majority of people aren't going to learn how to use linux or it's terminal just for 2-3%.  It literally is going to have to be a turnkey package before people switch. 

I cut my teeth on dos, dr dos, early versions of menu programs including windows and geos and I still use Linux for my workbench PC,  but even I am too lazy to be bothered swapping from windows unless the carrot is much bigger than 2-3% improvement.

The carrot also includes not having to pay for an os. Unless you really want a prebuild or laptop.

7 hours ago, LeSheen said:

The carrot also includes not having to pay for an os. Unless you really want a prebuild or laptop.

That's a big carrot for me, and I have tried several times but I have games and software that only works on windows.

Also (and probably the crux of the issue) majority of computers brought are laptops and thin clients (or similar small PC's).    Businesses already float the idea of not having to pay for the OS.  But it seems that is not enough of a carrot to offset everything else you have to do to make Linux work for them.

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

That's a big carrot for me, and I have tried several times but I have games and software that only works on windows.

Also (and probably the crux of the issue) majority of computers brought are laptops and thin clients (or similar small PC's).    Businesses already float the idea of not having to pay for the OS.  But it seems that is not enough of a carrot to offset everything else you have to do to make Linux work for them.

I think a lot of gamers, which is the demographic we are talking about, either build one themselves or configure one to be build for them. So we can leave thinclients out of the equation since (I hope) not a lot of gamers use those.

Yes linux takes a bit of learning not that much, but it's still a hurdle for some. But let's be honest if you're building or configuring your own gamepc you'll figure linux out with not a lot of problems.

46 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

I think a lot of gamers, which is the demographic we are talking about,

No it's not, we are talking about all users.   The post of mine you quoted was me talking about majority of PC users being normal everyday people who just want to buy a computer and have it do what they want out of the box,  people are too lazy to learn a new OS to save themselves a few dollars.

either build one themselves or configure one to be build for them. So we can leave thinclients out of the equation since (I hope) not a lot of gamers use those.

The Majority of PC sales are laptops and thinclients (and similar systems) because they are all the average user/office needs.   

Yes linux takes a bit of learning not that much, but it's still a hurdle for some. But let's be honest if you're building or configuring your own gamepc you'll figure linux out with not a lot of problems.

Maybe but maybe not.  There are a lot of well versed tech literate pc builders and professionals on this forum who won't use Linux even though they probably could figure it out.  They have been quite vocal over the last few threads on the topic.