Give me reasons why I shouldn't go to console gaming

grangervoldemort

My PC is old. GPU died recently. Give me reasons why I shouldn't NOT build a new PC and get a PS4 Pro instead.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

Just now, grangervoldemort said:

Give me reasons

No, there's nothing wrong with console-gaming per se. If you like using a gamepad or you just find the hassle-free experience of console-gaming appealing or just generally prefer console-gaming for some other reason, then go for it. Besides, even if you did buy a console, you could also save up for an upgraded PC as well -- there's no magical reason why you can't have both. I have both myself.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No, there's nothing wrong with console-gaming per se. If you like using a gamepad or you just find the hassle-free experience of console-gaming appealing or just generally prefer console-gaming for some other reason, then go for it. Besides, even if you did buy a console, you could also save up for an upgraded PC as well -- there's no magical reason why you can't have both. I have both myself.

Cost tends to be a big reason.
I am at crossroads.

Deciding on what video editing software I will use. Just downloaded FCPX and Vegas trials yesterday. Never edited before but have been filming for 5 years (long story) and am starting a YouTube channel. 
Love the LOOK of FCPX and from the 45 mins I used it (much of the time went figuring out how to do very basic things like import videos) I love the magnetic timeline.
FCPX LOOKS so much better than Vegas. More modern and appealing. 

So if I choose FCPX then:

I will be buying a Macbook Pro probably around £5,000 for the new model that will come out soonish hopefully.

TV is old from around 2009.. 1080p Samsung 45inch(I think) so need a new TV so there goes £1,000.

PS4+Games = £620 (not bad, the price of a GPU)

New display for hooking the Macbook up to £800-£1,000

Other accessories for the Macbook such as USB hub etc £500.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

I mean if you're not happy with a PC there's nothing wrong with console. You really need to be personally motivated to want to build a PC and be a PC gamer. If you need people to convince you to stay within the "PC master race" then it sounds like you'll just be miserable the whole time you're doing it.

If you prefer the simplicity and plug'n'play nature of a console I say go with that. You do you.

PC runs higher frame rate and/or resolution and can do other tasks on the side. That said there are many more console only games than PC only games, so... Up to you really.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I mean if you're not happy with a PC there's nothing wrong with console. You really need to be personally motivated to want to build a PC and be a PC gamer. If you need people to convince you to stay within the "PC master race" then it sounds like you'll just be miserable the whole time you're doing it.

If you prefer the simplicity and plug'n'play nature of a console I say go with that. You do you.

But I want to know pros and cons before I make a choice. I went from the Sega Master System to Gameboy to Xbox (original) to PC, to PC and PS3, and now .... well my PC has been a nightmare. Rattling case when hard drive is switched on, having to adjust fans all the time manually through settings in software or using a fan controller, errors, BSOD's, OS reinstalls to fix issues - oh man reinstalls. They are a NIGHTMARE. 

I used to play RTS a lot like command and conquer but now I hate command and conquer. I LOVE frostpunk which is soon to come to PS4. But PS4 doesn't really have RTS. Frostpunk is so damn awesome.

Then theres indie titles like Inside (Oh,,,, I just googled it and you CAN get this game on PS4), and that game I can't remember the name of right now and CBA to fire up my PC to get the name (on my macbook in bed right now) where you are a little guy and you find a machine which you have to put things into a thing inside the machine and it converts it to steam and you have to release the steam pressure or it damages the engine and you have to put out fires later in the game. The ending is the machine breaks down but you hear a foghorn of a large boat arriving. Not sure if that game is on PS4?

OMG Firewatch and mirrors edge catalyst are being sold for £4 on PS4's site right now! I love those games. Makes the cost of moving to PS4 gaming cheaper as I have those titles on PC (than if they were full price at £16).

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

PC runs higher frame rate and/or resolution and can do other tasks on the side. That said there are many more console only games than PC only games, so... Up to you really.

Is the frame rate an issue going from PC gaming? Does the PS4 Pro lag much in games? BTW PEOPLE I will be buying a 4k TV so .... the PS4 Pro will have to game at 4k.....

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

29 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Is the frame rate an issue going from PC gaming? Does the PS4 Pro lag much in games? BTW PEOPLE I will be buying a 4k TV so .... the PS4 Pro will have to game at 4k.....

Depending on the Gametype/FPS targets and Genre..

Think of it more like a System with a GPU capable of dev focused 1200p-1800p/Up to 2160p upscaled/downscaled sharp 30fps on 4K or 1080p panels, or 1080p-1600p (some games MAY do better) for the 60fps games upscaled or downscaled to 4K or 1080p

Its a game by game basis..performance and resolution wise..

Dynamic TRIGGERS are at play, if it say drops below the Target FPS, it'll scale back resolution for a slight second or two until the heavy loads pass and dial in Resolution numbers itself according to FPS targets and Overheads.

As for performance and lag, it's best to navigate YouTube channels dedicated to that sort of thing. #DigitalFoundry and others.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

17 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

well my PC has been a nightmare. Rattling case when hard drive is switched on, having to adjust fans all the time manually through settings in software or using a fan controller, errors, BSOD's, OS reinstalls to fix issues - oh man reinstalls. They are a NIGHTMARE. 

Welcome to custom PC's, glad you could stop by :D.

If you have a passion for both do both. You don't have to build an expensive computer. You could build one for a little over the cost of your average console then use it like a console. Over time you could upgrade things in it and improve your user experience.

Building computers is really what you make of it. If you hate the setup you have you can try something else the next time around. That's the freedom of computers.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Welcome to custom PC's, glad you could stop by :D.

If you have a passion for both do both. You don't have to build an expensive computer. You could build one for a little over the cost of your average console then use it like a console. Over time you could upgrade things in it and improve your user experience.

Building computers is really what you make of it. If you hate the setup you have you can try something else the next time around. That's the freedom of computers.

I got 2 faulty HAF X's and each time I built in them and my builds take forever (days, as I am very careful with cable management) back in 2012 so Coolermaster said pick any case you want to replace it with. 
I chose the Stormtrooper that I still have (same build from 2012 as I never built a new one nor upgraded).

It had rattling but not this bad since day 1.
I complained but the guy made a suggestion (contact was via email), which was to check the HDD cage was secured, which obviously as I spend days building (part of the time consumption is making sure each screw is in perfectly), it was, and I really wanted to play Borderlands 2 and have the PC running, so I didn't bother following it up with him.

That small rattle became unbearable over the years. I tried for years to isolate the noise. No idea wtf is rattling. Here at the bottom of the page is a video I filmed of it (Crank up your volume): 

GPU that died recently is a Gigabyte Windforce 3x OC 7870. OMFG. This card is STUPID loud. Well was. 
Idling it sat at 40% which was STUPID loud. I had to set it to 20% for it to be quiet. Then when I wanted to game I would have to remember to open the AMD control panel again and set it to Auto again as it was originally. In game the fans were SO loud.

Then there are all the BSOD's, Gigabyte never released the CPU fan controlling software for my mobo which rendered me unable to play Fortnite as I started using Speedan which took weeks to learn how to use and calibrate, but Fortnites anti cheat thing thinks its a cheating tool and wont run the game. Without speedfan my CPU would overheat in game so that was a no go.

Reinstalling the OS is a MAJOR deal. It is VERY time consuming to try to remember every little thing you need to backup before a reinstall. Facebook purity settings, game saves, software settings, bookmarks etc etc etc.

I spent £204 on the GPU back in 2012. Which isn't that much but it's not cheap either. Nor was the case cheap. Point being is you say I don't have to build and expensive PC, but even at those price points the components were inferior. 
There is nothing to be done differently as you put it. All the sound issues I have had to endure are manufacturing/design errors.

I read even the 2080 GPU is loud. Thats a top tier GPU.

I also read that a 2070 Super will only JUST run AAA titles at 1440p and to run 4k I need a 2080 at least. That is a £1,000 GPU. The PS4 Pro can game at 4k and costs only £350. The price of a Ryzen 3700k. One component inside a pc. ONE. 

There is no joy in building a PC when this is the long term result. Consoles are plug and play. However for the past few hours I have been researching into PS4 Pro noise and it turns out it is VERY noisy. So now I'm like WTF do I do. PS4 Pro is too noisy.....

Oh yeah, top fan on case has a ticking noise. They sent me a new fan - same issue. Front fans too loud. 

Nightmare to build and own a 'custom PC'.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

17 minutes ago, TrainFan2019 said:

Console graphics do not compare to PC graphics. Buying a pre built console does not compare to the experience of successfully building your own pc.

I have built a fair few PC's. I don't give a f*** about the FEELING I get after building one. I care about noise levels, cost and my gaming experience. 

Console graphics (especially PS4 Pro) look more or less the same as PC. Spent a few hours today on youtube watching comparison videos. Most games are fast don't forget. You don't stand around in most games looking at every minor detail such as the carvings in a stone wall nor do you pause, and zoom in 4-10x as they do in some comparison videos. You can't even do that anyway. That was done in video editing (zoom).

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

18 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

I care about noise levels, cost and my gaming experience. 

some console are pretty loud too. while you can easily build a cool & quiet PC (some mid range gpu are dead silent at max temps ~60C)

Benefits of PC over console:

- multi task

- game editors

- cheap & better graphics with custom graphic settings

- more flexible controls with mouse keyboards

- easy to repair/ upgradable

- emulates for console games 

- much more often discount for games

and much more

Spoiler

and if you are willing to get pirated games, it cuts the cost of all games to $0

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

some console are pretty loud too. while you can easily build a cool & quiet PC (some mid range gpu are dead silent at max temps ~60C)

Benefits of PC over console:

- multi task

- game editors

- cheap & better graphics with custom graphic settings

- more flexible controls with mouse keyboards

- easy to repair/ upgradable

- emulates for console games 

- much more often discount for games

and much more

Hide contents

and if you are willing to get pirated games, it cuts the cost of all games to $0

Read the long post I posted above to see what I wrote about the PS4 Pro with regards to noise.

Also I wrote that the PS4 Pro can game at 4k. It costs £350. You can only get ONE part of a PC for that price - a Ryzen 3700x. Then you need a £1,000 GPU to play at 4k. A £230 mobo. A £100+ PSU. £220 RAM. ETC

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

1 hour ago, grangervoldemort said:

I got 2 faulty HAF X's and each time I built in them and my builds take forever (days, as I am very careful with cable management) back in 2012 so Coolermaster said pick any case you want to replace it with. 
I chose the Stormtrooper that I still have (same build from 2012 as I never built a new one nor upgraded).

It had rattling but not this bad since day 1.
I complained but the guy made a suggestion (contact was via email), which was to check the HDD cage was secured, which obviously as I spend days building (part of the time consumption is making sure each screw is in perfectly), it was, and I really wanted to play Borderlands 2 and have the PC running, so I didn't bother following it up with him.

That small rattle became unbearable over the years. I tried for years to isolate the noise. No idea wtf is rattling. Here at the bottom of the page is a video I filmed of it (Crank up your volume): 

GPU that died recently is a Gigabyte Windforce 3x OC 7870. OMFG. This card is STUPID loud. Well was. 
Idling it sat at 40% which was STUPID loud. I had to set it to 20% for it to be quiet. Then when I wanted to game I would have to remember to open the AMD control panel again and set it to Auto again as it was originally. In game the fans were SO loud.

Then there are all the BSOD's, Gigabyte never released the CPU fan controlling software for my mobo which rendered me unable to play Fortnite as I started using Speedan which took weeks to learn how to use and calibrate, but Fortnites anti cheat thing thinks its a cheating tool and wont run the game. Without speedfan my CPU would overheat in game so that was a no go.

Reinstalling the OS is a MAJOR deal. It is VERY time consuming to try to remember every little thing you need to backup before a reinstall. Facebook purity settings, game saves, software settings, bookmarks etc etc etc.

I spent £204 on the GPU back in 2012. Which isn't that much but it's not cheap either. Nor was the case cheap. Point being is you say I don't have to build and expensive PC, but even at those price points the components were inferior. 
There is nothing to be done differently as you put it. All the sound issues I have had to endure are manufacturing/design errors.

I read even the 2080 GPU is loud. Thats a top tier GPU.

I also read that a 2070 Super will only JUST run AAA titles at 1440p and to run 4k I need a 2080 at least. That is a £1,000 GPU. The PS4 Pro can game at 4k and costs only £350. The price of a Ryzen 3700k. One component inside a pc. ONE. 

There is no joy in building a PC when this is the long term result. Consoles are plug and play. However for the past few hours I have been researching into PS4 Pro noise and it turns out it is VERY noisy. So now I'm like WTF do I do. PS4 Pro is too noisy.....

Oh yeah, top fan on case has a ticking noise. They sent me a new fan - same issue. Front fans too loud. 

All I can say is that's part of the experience. That's the condition we are all content with. It's the cost of freedom. It's not without its glitches. If this isn't worth it to you you're welcome to go to console. I'm not here to fight you. As I said before if PC is making you so miserable then having someone convince you to stay isn't going to fix your misery, it'll just put a band-aid on it until the next thing goes wrong then you'll be asking the same question once again.

You're free to do what makes you happy.

4 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

Then you need a £1,000 GPU to play at 4k

you think a ps4 pro can run 4K? its more like just mid graphics setting in PC world and probably not 60fps too,

at which a ~$150 new gpu can acheive, you really to rework all your calculation on pricing

12 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

Cost tends to be a big reason. I will be buying a Macbook Pro probably around £5,000 for the new model that will come out soonish hopefully.

If you've got around £5,000 to spend, cost is not a reason.

12 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

Is the frame rate an issue going from PC gaming?

Do dogs pee on brick walls?

10 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

Console graphics (especially PS4 Pro) look more or less the same as PC.

I almost agree with you here. They look more or less the same as PC. Depends on the game and if you choose to change how everything looks on the screen.

But do they feel the same? Do they play the same? Hell to the no...

If you prefer laggy, choppy, unclear, unsmooth game play, by all means go the console route. But if you prefer lagless, calm, clear and smooth game play, imagine a third video beside these two at 120(24 x 5) fps portraying 5x the laglessness, 5x the calmness, 5x the clearness and 5x the smoothness. That's console gaming vs PC gaming in a nutshell. You either want lag or you don't. You either want to change the game to your liking or play it the way it comes out of the box with little to no workarounds to any issues you may have with it.

11 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

I have built a fair few PC's. I don't give a f*** about the FEELING I get after building one. I care about noise levels, cost and my gaming experience.

Ok, whatever.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

11 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

Just wow ... That's one unlucky experience!!!

BTW, I had the same 7870, and never had problem with fan noise.

Also, if you had that bad of an experience building a PC, then I'm not sure why you're asking if you should build a PC or get a PS4. You obviously don't want to build a PC, so get a PS4. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, Intransigent said:

If you've got around £5,000 to spend, cost is not a reason.

Dumb thing to say. Just because I have 5k to spend on an item that will generate me income doesn't mean I am made of gold.

Do dogs pee on brick walls?

I almost agree with you here. They look more or less the same as PC. Depends on the game and if you choose to change how everything looks on the screen.

But do they feel the same? Do they play the same? Hell to the no...

If you prefer laggy, choppy, unclear, unsmooth game play, by all means go the console route. But if you prefer lagless, calm, clear and smooth game play, imagine a third video beside these two at 120(24 x 5) fps portraying 5x the laglessness, 5x the calmness, 5x the clearness and 5x the smoothness. That's console gaming vs PC gaming in a nutshell. You either want lag or you don't. You either want to change the game to your liking or play it the way it comes out of the box with little to no workarounds to any issues you may have with it.

I bet that video comparison were both on PC. It is not console 30FPS vs PC 30FPS or 60FPS.

FPS is VERY different for consoles. 30FPS is playable on a console but not on a PC. Plenty of discussions about it:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/console-runs-smoother-than-pc-in-30fps-why.2496021/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/30fps-on-pc-vs-console-why-does-the-latter-always-feel-better.1061621/

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

14 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

My PC is old. GPU died recently. Give me reasons why I shouldn't NOT build a new PC and get a PS4 Pro instead.

It's all a matter of personal preference. Both have its advantages and disadvantages. I have both but rarely even turn my xbo 

Just now, steelo said:

It's all a matter of personal preference. Both have its advantages and disadvantages. I have both but rarely even turn my xbo on.

Please tell me why.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

27 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Please tell me why.

In my case, I much prefer using a keyboard and mouse because I find controllers to be 'clunky' when it comes to navigating menus. Also, I leave my PC on all of the time as I use it for other tasks, so when I want to play a game I usually don't have to worry about updates. It seems like every time I power the xbox on, I'm having to wait 20-30 minutes for updates just to use the thing. I don't care to leave a 100 watt gaming console on 24/7 and waste electricity just so it can remain up to date to use it once a week.

Finally, PC games fit MY interests better...I'm not saying they are superior to console games.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the type of games offered for consoles in general. Sure, Madden or gears of war once in a while is okay when you have friends over, but I much prefer games like starcraft 2, warhammer and command and conquer for PC. Now, I did greatly enjoy diablo 3 and Witcher 3 for xbo but those seemed like rarities.

19 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

I bet that video comparison have both on PC. It is not console 30FPS vs PC 30FPS or 60FPS.

FPS is VERY different for consoles. 30FPS is playable on a console but not on a PC. Plenty of discussions about it:

I'm not imagining what I see on my TV when playing my Xbox One. 30 frames per second is 30 frames per second. If 30 fps was not laggy or choppy or unsmooth or unclear on a console, not a single person would own a 144 Hz monitor. Let alone a gaming PC. We'd all have consoles if 30 fps were any different on PC. You're basing what you're saying off of a reddit post of all things. Off of a dude named u/shadow3467. And a few others with random aliases. Come on dude. Open your eyes.

1 minute ago, grangervoldemort said:

Please tell me why.

I've explained why. Buy your console and find out for yourself.

8 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

You're basing what you're saying off of a reddit post of all things. Off of a dude named u/shadow3467. And a few others with random aliases. Come on dude. Open your eyes.

I've explained why. Buy your console and find out for yourself.

No I'm not. I have owned various consoles over my over 30 years of being alive and still have one. A PS3. What a dumb thing to say 'basing what you're saying bla bla'. Don't make assumptions.

The PS3 looks totally fine. I have no issues with it other than there are no new titles for it.
Love playing on console. You turn it on and game and it just works.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

12 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

No I'm not. I have owned various consoles over my over 30 years of being alive and still have one. A PS3. What a dumb thing to say 'basing what you're saying bla bla'. Don't make assumptions. The PS3 looks totally fine. I have no issues with it other than there are no new titles for it. Love playing on console. You turn it on and game and it just works.

You are basing what you're saying off of random people from a reddit post. I'm not imagining that. It's not an assumption, it's what you are basing your 30 fps console gaming vs 30 fps pc gaming off of. What random people on reddit randomly said. This has nothing to do with assuming anything, it's exactly what you're basing this off of.

14 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

The PS3 looks totally fine. I have no issues with it other than there are no new titles for it. Love playing on console.

Then buy a PS4. Buy a PS5. Buy a PS6. Whatever makes you happy.

15 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

You turn it on and game and it just works.

You turn on a PC and game it works much clearer, much smoother and with much less lag.