Is hand power tool (electric screwdriver) useful for computers building?

JoshB2084

For general example:

image.png.ea20933c84267cc42666003ff8b9cbc2.png

(sorry for big picture)

I have a cerebral palsy. I have a difficult to hold and turning screwdriver, and my right hand will be numb if I hold screwdriver for 2 minutes. I wonder hand power tool useful for computers building.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

If you use it at a slow rotation speed maybe? You'll have to be VERY careful with the small screws though.

Edit: Maybe more something like this? I think of the grip you can have on it may be more convenient with your palsy?

Skil-Cordless-Screwdriver-with-Circuit-S

What do you think?

Edited by Guest

Something like this would suit you far better. I have heard nothing but fantastic things of it.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

black-decker-electric-screwdrivers-as6ng-64_1000.jpg.5431720ce1ac974b84612e8e13990a6a.jpgIt can definitely help, make sure you get decent magnetic tips, and something that's not too powerful. Definitely more "cordless screwdriver" then "Power tool." We used this one at work since it was the lowest powered decent screwdriver my boss could find. The straight screwdriver will give you better control and also better access to tighter spaces than the curved handle, though the controls on the curved handles may work better for you. 

12 minutes ago, SenKa said:

Something like this would suit you far better. I have heard nothing but fantastic things of it.

That thing looks awesome, requisition time... though I'd imagine better use for phone/laptop.

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

14 minutes ago, Joluch said:

That thing looks awesome, requisition time... though I'd imagine better use for phone/laptop.

Was thinking the same ^o^

31 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

If you use it at a slow rotation speed maybe? You'll have to be VERY careful with the small screws though.

Edit: Maybe more something like this? I think of the grip you can have on it may be more convenient with your palsy?

Skil-Cordless-Screwdriver-with-Circuit-S

What do you think?

Very  convenient, but I have thin and smallish hands. Might help me  I will see. Anymore suggest, everyone?

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

I think that an electric screw driver is a really good idea! You can get longer extensions to get into tighter spots if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-GO-01-Cordless-Screwdriver-Charger/dp/B07DNXM8WC

Maybe one like that where you just push against the screw to make it go, and use a selector to pick forward and reverse. It also has a clutch that can be set to limit torque to prevent damage. It uses simple controls, though the slider for forward and reverse could be a little tricky. I think you could glue something to the slider to raise a bump on it to make selecting much more easy. Also the fact you have to press the tool into the screw will help prevent the bit from slipping as much. It comes with pretty much all the bits you'd need to build a computer, and they sell these extended length bits if you need to reach tighter spots once it's put together.

https://www.amazon.com/Rocaris-10pcs-Magnetic-Screwdriver-Slotted/dp/B07GP3F936/

I use long screw drivers to assemble PC's because it's easier for my sometimes clumsy self, I'm not bumping stuff with my hands and arms as much.

I've found allot of the screws used to be quite cheap, especially fan screws tend to get worn out very easily. Rarely will you come across high quality screws, the only ones i can think of at the moment is the screws to my side panel, doubt i could damage those by hand cranking.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

2 hours ago, Joluch said:

black-decker-electric-screwdrivers-as6ng-64_1000.jpg.5431720ce1ac974b84612e8e13990a6a.jpgIt can definitely help, make sure you get decent magnetic tips, and something that's not too powerful. Definitely more "cordless screwdriver" then "Power tool." We used this one at work since it was the lowest powered decent screwdriver my boss could find. The straight screwdriver will give you better control and also better access to tighter spaces than the curved handle, though the controls on the curved handles may work better for you. 

We use Milwaukee M4 cordless drivers at work. They're definitely pretty aged (4-5 years old) as the motors have gotten quite louder, and can't hold 10 inch/lbs at the higher speed setting any more, even on a full battery charge. For the price, brushless motors would have been nice for longevity, and if not being used already, metal gearboxes. As the clutch wears, higher settings are required to achieve the same torque as well. A PWM electronic speed control and single speed gearbox with in-line clutch ought to be fairly inexpensive to implement.

Not sure if the screws commonly used in PCs are affected by magnetism though, so a magnetic driver or bit may be moot.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, JoshB2084 said:

I have a cerebral palsy. I have a difficult to hold and turning screwdriver, and my right hand will be numb if I hold screwdriver for 2 minutes. I wonder hand power tool useful for computers building.

Most power tools are way too overkill for putting a computer together. If turning a screw would be a problem for you, I'd suggest maybe getting a tool-less chassis. Though usually that means getting a fancy chassis instead of a cheaper one.

In places where you would probably need to use a screw driver, it's super-easy to strip a screw, as the places where screws are mainly used are philips-head screws about the size of a pea. So really large power tools are very overkill, and your hand would probably go numb from holding the tool in the right place first.

I'd probably recommend something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/BLUCAVE-DSD-46FL-2BLU-Flashcell-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B012CHMW5Y

Which is a batteryless super-capacitor power screwdriver , super-light, and isn't like a high speed power drill (which will strip or snap off the head of screws in a blink of an eye.)

With that said, the amount of screws in a typical chassis is 6 for the motherboard, 7 for the expansion slots (if you have to take them out at all), 4 for the PSU, 4 per fan and 4 per drive. Most chassis I've dealt with (stuff I've bought, and Dell's at the office) have moved away from using screws in the 2.5"/3.5" drives and on the expansion slots, though it's likely you'll still need screws for fans that are not pre-installed, and will certainly need the 6 for the motherboard if the MB is not preinstalled (eg an OEM)

Though I might suggest just having someone else build it, have a friend come over and pay them a beer to put it together.

It will be fine, but just be wary of over-tightening 

Yes absolutely a powered screwdriver can help.

Just turn the torque setting down.

Get whichever one is easier for you to hold, maybe even a rechargeable one.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Something like that will have a low torque range, and most computer components will survive magnetic bit holders without issue. It'd be a very useful tool for computer building if you get the correct bits and a 6" and 12" bit holder.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 hours ago, SenKa said:

A next level screwdriver! I like it.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

24 minutes ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

A next level screwdriver! I like it.

All credit goes to TronicsFix, he uses them in all his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfOrKQtC1tDfGf_fFVb8pYw

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I'm  not sure that one can hold a #2 philips bit which is what most if not all philips screws in a computer are. Some OE's use Torx or slotted screws but that's not something you deal with building from parts you buy at retail.

7 hours ago, JoshB2084 said:

I have a cerebral palsy. 

Go to a store and try a few electric screwdrivers, you'll ultimately need to find one that is comfortable for you personally. Just look for something light that is easy to control (direction controls, low pressure trigger etc)

an adjustable pistol/straight grip might help

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

I generally use my 20v impact driver for building PCs, you just gotta make sure you give it full power to make sure the screw goes in all the way

Spoiler

In case it wasn't obvious, that's a joke, and not recommended in the slightest.

I do have a small 3.6v screwdriver that has literally no torque at all so is perfect for building PCs, it's powerful enough to actually screw a screw, but not so powerful it'll damage anything. 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

not useful unless you're planning to do some DIY case modifications

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

I saw this on Amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07R6LPHRL/

What do you think of it? I personnally prefer the casing like this. Feels more "sturdy" (?!?!?) than the "tubes" from the Rupuntas one.

same type of battery ( Li-Ion)

Opinions?  I think I'm gonna plunge ?

40 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

I saw this on Amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07R6LPHRL/

What do you think of it? I personnally prefer the casing like this. Feels more "sturdy" (?!?!?) than the "tubes" from the Rupuntas one.

same type of battery ( Li-Ion)

Opinions?  I think I'm gonna plunge ?

Umm... It's German Amazon.... And "This item does not ship to the United States. Learn more"

Looks very nice. I thinking about that tube electric screwdriver and 10pcs 1/4 Inch Hex Shank Long Magnetic Screwdriver Bits.

Thanks guys for help me picking right electric screwdriver. I know I can and can't doing it, but I want to be independent.

1 minute ago, JoshB2084 said:

Umm... It's German Amazon.... And "This item does not ship to the United States. Learn more"

The same but on amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/POWERGIANT-Electric-Screwdriver-Cordless-Precision/dp/B07R7TNR66/

Don't be lazy ?

1 minute ago, JoshB2084 said:
Looks very nice. I thinking about that tube electric screwdriver and 10pcs 1/4 Inch Hex Shank Long Magnetic Screwdriver Bits.

Thanks guys for help me picking right electric screwdriver. I know I can and can't doing it, but I want to be independent.

And you are perfectly right to want to be ^o^

Find what works for you ^o^

Could you use a T-handle driver set?  This one ratchets so you don't have to let go and re-grip.

SSDMRT1R.jpg

I would be worried about the torque of battery ones stripping threads.   I have snapped many screws using those small battery powered drivers so would be very reluctant to go near a PC with one.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Oops, caught my red hands. ? Thanks for link. ?