Philips to release 27", 32" and 55" 4K 120 Hz HDR Monitors

snortingfrogs

Announced at Gamescom 2019 Philips showed their new series Momentum.
Philips Momentum is 3 new monitors in 27", 32" and 55" with 120 Hz and HDR.

27" Specs (€399/$449) - 278M1R
BK1EAJV.jpg

32" Specs (€499/$549) - 328M1R
VsunROA.jpg

55" Specs (€1300/$1449) - 55M1RY
Jw9h1ui.jpg

Source: KitGuru

It looks like a good set of monitors, but I think the jump from 32" to 55" is a bit much, I wanted to see a model in between at around 40-43".

I think the 32" model can be big seller if reviews are good.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

So is it pretty safe to assume that the 27" is HDR400? 

Probably. If they were 1000+ nits it'd be all over that marketing material.

So, to achieve 'no see um' pixels, you need to be at least:

18" away from the 27" display

21" away from the 32" display

36" away from the 55" display

The first two seem plausible for a reasonable viewing distance a gamer might use, but that 55" - how many have a more than 3' deep desk? At least your field of view would be dominated by that 55" display.

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

also: is there anyone out there with a keyboard and mouse on the living room coffee table? o_o

Funny you ask that...

It wasn't set up for gaming, but my old living room setup was an early 'cord cutter' deal, with a Mac mini connected to my old 40" TV, with a BT keyboard and mouse. Plex and a browser were my friends, and those peripherals sat on my coffee table.

I've worked out using a PPD calculator that I should max out at a 75" 4K TV in my current living room setup.

finally a high refresh rate monitor that doesn't look like gamer trash

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Ambiglow is nice. Doesn't look like it has VESA mounting. Which is weird given it has Ambiglow which works the best when next to a wall...

Philips 55" Monitor???  Holly Molly! That's bigger than my TV!!  O_o

A Monstrosity! With my 40" TV screen I'm already 2,5m away from it to be able to see watch it, but this??  55"???  Way too big for a desk monitor. You'll kill your eyes. That's a wall display.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

also: is there anyone out there with a keyboard and mouse on the living room coffee table? o_o

Well... Me, soon ??? Just waiting to move in my new home to do just that.

44 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

*Raise hand*

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

They just be selling TVs as monitors these days, there are a few companies coming out with 55” 4K 120Hz “monitors” at the moment.

1 hour ago, Cora_Lie said:

Philips 55" Monitor???  Holly Molly! That's bigger than my TV!!  O_o

A Monstrosity! With my 40" TV screen I'm already 2,5m away from it to be able to see watch it, but this??  55"???  Way too big for a desk monitor. You'll kill your eyes. That's a wall display.

Well... Me, soon ??? Just waiting to move in my new home to do just that.

It's killer immersive though. I've once played Natural Selection 2 on my Philips 42" 4K TV. Since the image is so big you don't see any wall around the screen you have a feeling you're inside the game. Only downside was that HDMI input only supports 30Hz (screw it, it's first generation of 4K TV's) and it was pretty bad. I already had 144Hz monitor at that point so you can see why it felt bad. But the immersion was insane. Imagine playing strategy game like this or any other game for that matter.

15 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's killer immersive though. I've once played Natural Selection 2 on my Philips 42" 4K TV. Since the image is so big you don't see any wall around the screen you have a feeling you're inside the game. Only downside was that HDMI input only supports 30Hz (screw it, it's first generation of 4K TV's) and it was pretty bad. I already had 144Hz monitor at that point so you can see why it felt bad. But the immersion was insane. Imagine playing strategy game like this or any other game for that matter.

Then... Who needs VR with such a screen?  ?

On a more serious note, I stand by my point: it's an eyes killer! Immersive experience, ok. But some things are a bit more important...

9 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Then... Who needs VR with such a screen?  ?

On a more serious note, I stand by my point: it's an eyes killer! Immersive experience, ok. But some things are a bit more important...

Yeah, it kinda kills need for VR. As for yes, any fixed distance surface will over longer exposure make your eyes crap out since they adjust to short fixed distance too much. There is no way going past that unless we figure out how to cheat eyes into thinking they are actually looking at something 300m away and not a distant looking image on a flat surface 1m away.

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

As for yes, any fixed distance surface will over longer exposure make your eyes crap out since they adjust to short fixed distance too much. There is no way going past that unless we figure out how to cheat eyes into thinking they are actually looking at something 300m away and not a distant looking image on a flat surface 1m away.

And that's where I have a problem with marketing products which the companies know they are harmful.

As some point they can't hide behind the "it's the customer's choice and responsability!" argument. It's their choice as a company to develop and produce a product which is knowingly harmful after some time exposure.

There is a thing called "corporate responsability" too.

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

...that's a TV

without a tuner...

which just makes it a very big monitor...

there are things like response time and colour range that make them different, but thats been bleeding into tvs for a very long time and is now at a point where it's possible to get a good looking tv with good response time

what makes a tv is to receive a signal (whether analog or digital) from a source that is foreign enough to require a separate special circuit to process said data correctly in a way that the monitor's control circuit can understand...

i have a Samsung LA16R71W that is 19" big (a good bit bigger than the biggest gaming laptop screen), it has HDMI, VGA, component and composite inputs, it can also receive analog tv signals which here in Australia, are no longer being broadcast. it's main purpose was to function as a monitor that has the ability to receive tv signals. good for dorms with not much space.

while it's a tv, at heart it's still a monitor with a tuner which is most tv's..

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

22 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I did consider just buying a digital tuner to convert one of my old monitors into a TV, LOL

THEY ARE TERRIBLE DO NOT GET THEM.

they never get a signal and always have some stupid limitation that can't be overcome.

if you just want a digital tuner get a USB one that is linux compatible and use tvheadend with it, it's less of a headache to get working since tvheadend can detect it and automatically adjust it's settings accordingly to work with it and can broadcast to multiple devices at once in the network without requiring other hardware, all you really need is a compatible app, many apps and devices natively support it (kodi being the most common example) and if not the ones that don't have it can have the feature added in via an app or some sort of software

it's fucking easier and can do more. simple as that.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Hm, would be great that we see higher spec monitors that are not oversized too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

43 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

And that's where I have a problem with marketing products which the companies know they are harmful.

As some point they can't hide behind the "it's the customer's choice and responsability!" argument. It's their choice as a company to develop and produce a product which is knowingly harmful after some time exposure.

There is a thing called "corporate responsability" too.

Well, it's not like they can bypass the way how our body adjusts to repeated operations, including vision. Saying they don't care is not entirely true. Ambiglow helps with eye strain as the screen isn't the sole light source anymore. Features to eliminate blue light are also there to help our eyes. But they can't do magic...

5 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

They just be selling TVs as monitors these days, there are a few companies coming out with 55” 4K 120Hz “monitors” at the moment.

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

...that's a TV

The only real technical difference between a monitor and a TV is the built-in tuner. Modern TV's also tend to be SmartTV's, but that's obviously a sub category.

Large monitors, however, tend to be extremely expensive for some reason. Often much more expensive than a comparable TV (though granted, most TV's don't include higher refresh rates).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

May want to fix that title. I thought they were releasing a 27" that was 120Hz when it's only the 32 and 55 that will be high refresh rate.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

The 32inch looked promising at first, but all the specs point to an TN panel. -_-

I mean, hoping for IPS at that price point was a bit of an stretch, but idk.

I'll see what LG releases next year.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 hour ago, Origami Cactus said:

The 32inch looked promising at first, but all the specs point to an TN panel. -_-

I mean, hoping for IPS at that price point was a bit of an stretch, but idk.

I'll see what LG releases next year.

The second I saw the price for the 32" I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

That said, while the 55" is probably way too big of a leap over the 33", if it has a decent panel then it largely invalidates the whole Nvidia BFGD thing. Sure, it may not have Gsync, but at 1/4 the price that's a more than worthwhile sacrifice. 

3 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

The second I saw the price for the 32" I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

That said, while the 55" is probably way too big of a leap over the 33", if it has a decent panel then it largely invalidates the whole Nvidia BFGD thing. Sure, it may not have Gsync, but at 1/4 the price that's a more than worthwhile sacrifice. 

The big one looks like an VA panel, so ok and i think acer or someone already has that exact monitor out already. Atleast with the same panel.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

12 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

The big one looks like an VA panel, so ok and i think acer or someone already has that exact monitor out already. Atleast with the same panel.

There are already 120hz 55" TV/monitors on the market? Specifically for sub $2-3k?