Upgrades people, Upgrades- Zen 3 has finished its design and coming 2020?

Fnige

TekRada

About Z3

This news comes out of its reveal event for 2nd-generation Epyc processors, where AMD showed a slide indicating that the Zen 3 architecture design is complete, and even labeled the more-distant Zen 4 architecture as "in design". This doesn't mean that AMD Ryzen 4th Generation processors are right around the corner, but it does mean that AMD isn't taking their recent victories as permission to slow down

AMD Zen 3 will likely be based on a 7nm+ process, much like AMD Zen+ after it followed the original Zen architecture with a 12nm+ manufacturing process. That means we can expect higher clock speeds paired with lower power consumption. AMD would achieve this by moving to a 7nm EUV (extreme ultraviolet) node, rather than the 7nm DUV (deep ultraviolet) node that Zen 2 CPUs are based on. This technology should make manufacturing chips more efficient and less prone to errors. 

About Z4

As for what Zen 4 will be able to do, however, we don't have a great idea of what it'll be able to do. We've seen some speculation out there, via TechPowerUp, that the AMD Zen 4 will be based on a 6nm EUV node and may be available as soon as 2021.

We don't know whether this move to a 6nm manufacturing process would be able to see AMD bumping core counts even higher than the 16-core, 32-thread Ryzen 9 3950X, but it will be interesting to see if we can see Threadripper 2990WX-level performance on mainstream desktop chips in the next couple of years. 

My 2 Cents:

No Zen 2+, ok. So i guess we can see Gen 4 or 5 ryzen with a new process and better clocks, cores etc. Im excited as now AMD is back in the game.

✨FNIGE✨

If Zen 4 is actually 6nm then is AMD going to stick with TSMC & GlobFoundries or will they consider other companies?

Also I wonder why they don't use samsung's process

13 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

If Zen 4 is actually 6nm then is AMD going to stick with TSMC & GlobFoundries or will they consider other companies?

Also I wonder why they don't use samsung's process

Zen4 is 5nm. 6nm is a low-cost mobile node that AMD probably won't use except for maybe some I/O dies. (The I/O die would be 7nm then move to 6nm as a shrink.)

Samsung is behind TSMC on getting to market, though Nvidia is going to Samsung as a launch partner for their 7nm process.

12 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Zen4 is 5nm. 6nm is a low-cost mobile node that AMD probably won't use except for maybe some I/O dies. (The I/O die would be 7nm then move to 6nm as a shrink.)

Samsung is behind TSMC on getting to market, though Nvidia is going to Samsung as a launch partner for their 7nm process.

Samsung is behind TSMC? I thought they were similar, Samsung has 6nm planned for 2019 H2 while TSMC aims for 2020, similar with 5nm

1 minute ago, realpetertdm said:

Samsung is behind TSMC? I thought they were similar, Samsung has 6nm planned for 2019 H2 while TSMC aims for 2020, similar with 5nm

TSMC 6nm isn't the same as Samsung's. TSMC's 6nm is an iteration on their 7nm with 7nm design rules. Samsung's 6nm is a little different. However, TSMC will have their 5nm out before their 6nm is out. TSMC is volume ramping 5nm right now, while first production of 6nm isn't until next year.

The 6nm node from TSMC is a little strange, in general, but it exists for a few reasons.

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

if zen 3 is slated for next year, and the AM4 socket will be used "through 2020"...

*WAITING INTENSIFIES*

(no seriously I'm just going for Zen 2 threadripper at this point lol)

It really wouldn't surprise me if zen3 will need AM4+  for full feature compatibility while still usable on AM4 as per promise.   It's what happened last time and there is only so far you can go on a 4 year old motherboards physical layout.  Buuuuuuut, hopefully I this won't happen due to something else we don't know about yet.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Buuuuuuut, hopefully I this won't happen due to something else we don't know about yet.

thing is called magic, trust me i asked the wall next to me

✨FNIGE✨

59 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Nvidia is going to Samsung as a launch partner for their 7nm process.

It does make one wonder how far the Japanese are willing to go, trying to bring South Koreans to their knees ? (re: the recent trade spat).

19 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

thing is called magic, trust me i asked the wall next to me

What a clever wall you have, mine just keeps telling me to buy Doritos.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

What a clever wall you have, mine just keeps telling me to buy Doritos.

I called it jimmy proton. I think its positive about itself

✨FNIGE✨

As much as I was tempted, I'm gonna stick with my 5820K and replace whole platform when AM5 hits the market as gains would just be too small for me given the investment I'd have to make. I'm guessing DDR5 will also become a standard at that point and potentially AMD going with quad channel memory on desktops as well so that'll be a perfect time to change it all. I just hope AMD will continue with this winning streak up to that point. So far, things are looking good...

I hope AMD will be able to bring chiplet design to graphic cards as well. That would help greatly drop the prices as well as spread the heat to a larger, less heat saturated surface.

4 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

isn't 6nm 7nm+ with more euv layers?, i wander what they will do, they might try to avoid quadpaterning but at the same time the features should be large enough to where its not much of a issue but if the euv 7nm is cheaper as it was rumored then thats what they will use 

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

As much as I was tempted, I'm gonna stick with my 5820K and replace whole platform when AM5 hits the market as gains would just be too small for me given the investment I'd have to make. I'm guessing DDR5 will also become a standard at that point and potentially AMD going with quad channel memory on desktops as well so that'll be a perfect time to change it all. I just hope AMD will continue with this winning streak up to that point. So far, things are looking good...

I hope AMD will be able to bring chiplet design to graphic cards as well. That would help greatly drop the prices as well as spread the heat to a larger, less heat saturated surface.

i dont see quad channel coming to consumer market anytime soon, instead by then we should have multi GigaBytes of cache using something akin to hbm

Shrinks for the I/O die?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

That's one shipment approved, with trade restrictions still in place and Korea being removed from the whitelist. This is probably an one-time move to show the world that "iT's n0t a tRaDe wAr"

(Honestly everyone knows it's a trade war started by Japan lol)

Just now, williamcll said:

Shrinks for the I/O die?

they can add more to it but the size of the die can't become much smaller they already at the very limits of what substrates can do, unless they want to go to the interposer route which is more expensive

They have a good momentum and roadmap looking very good. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

28 minutes ago, Tedny said:

2020, why AMD need to skip zen2+/zen2 refresh? 

Why not? It's pointless to refresh a product you've already replaced.

Zen+ was a (so far) one-time affair caused by scheduling, design readiness and process availability and capacity. 

They probably wont. Samsung may be at 5nm, but Samsungs needs are primarily low power mobile. TSMC is not quite there yet with 5nm 60-100w tdp for the consumer market.

But why would they be pushing 5nm 12-16 months after 7nm either way? Unless Intel hits back hard real soon, 7nm is plenty good for 2020 as well.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

1 hour ago, Tedny said:

2020, why AMD need to skip zen2+/zen2 refresh? 

48 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Why not? It's pointless to refresh a product you've already replaced.

Zen+ was a (so far) one-time affair caused by scheduling, design readiness and process availability and capacity. 

What is and isn't a refresh? AMD could have given the codename Zen 2 to Zen+ instead, it honestly makes no difference at all.

I'm honestly just happy to see the CPU side of things actually be moving forward after being stagnant for years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, cj09beira said:

isn't 6nm 7nm+ with more euv layers?, i wander what they will do, they might try to avoid quadpaterning but at the same time the features should be large enough to where its not much of a issue but if the euv 7nm is cheaper as it was rumored then thats what they will use 

i dont see quad channel coming to consumer market anytime soon, instead by then we should have multi GigaBytes of cache using something akin to hbm

Real point of 6nm is to save costs from moving 7nm designs to a EUV process, since the design rules are the same. By doing that, all of the IP that companies pay for doesn't have to be redesigned, yet they can get a half-node shrink from it. Only found out that's really the reason a couple of days ago.

48 minutes ago, leadeater said:

What is and isn't a refresh? AMD could have given the codename Zen 2 to Zen+ instead, it honestly makes no difference at all.

While the name could be arbitrary for all intents and purposes, AMD seems to consider bumping the numbers to be part of architectural improvements. Zen+ had none hence the difference. Of course there's plenty room to backpedal on it.