LTT Official Folding Month 2019!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Alright guys, the time for locking this thread has come, can you all please use the Folding Community Board for all further talk.

Thank you all again for participating in the event.

Once the sheet is cleaned up I will edit this post to add the link to the spreadsheet.

@TVwazhere Can you please lock this thread for me. 

32 minutes ago, justpoet said:

I went to the Banano site to try and figure it out and what the draw is, and none of it makes any sense or gives any details.  Are they really just a giant meme to get people to fold? 

It looks like that banano is a cryptocurrency that can be traded, so it might have some real value. But is it profitable is another thing, people are jumping in hoping that cryptocurrency X might be the next big thing.

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I mean hey, if it gets people folding, I'm not complaining. The more folders the better regardless of which team they're on!

If miners use their computers for folding I wont be complaining either. If they get few dollars that is still small drop in the ocean what medical industry spends, but this can benefit smal research teams so that is good.

12 minutes ago, Rusted said:

It looks like that banano is a cryptocurrency that can be traded, so it might have some real value. But is it profitable is another thing, people are jumping in hoping that cryptocurrency X might be the next big thing.

If miners use their computers for folding I wont be complaining either. If they get few dollars that is still small drop in the ocean what medical industry spends, but this can benefit smal research teams so that is good.

They say that, but more tongue in cheek.  "Banano is a 4th generation fungible & edible cryptocurrency with a cool yellow logo and particles.js background."  There's a limited supply of it, so it seems people are competing for the limited supply in hopes this somehow eventually becomes the actual tradable currency.  Since it won't, in short it seems to be a genius way for the banano creators to get a crap ton of mostly free whatever they want…from advertising to memes to folding…at least until they're done giving away all the existing Banano.

9 minutes ago, justpoet said:

They say that, but more tongue in cheek.  "Banano is a 4th generation fungible & edible cryptocurrency with a cool yellow logo and particles.js background."  There's a limited supply of it, so it seems people are competing for the limited supply in hopes this somehow eventually becomes the actual tradable currency.  Since it won't, in short it seems to be a genius way for the banano creators to get a crap ton of mostly free whatever they want…from advertising to memes to folding…at least until they're done giving away all the existing Banano. 

To me it's another "Hop on to your hype train and get some cryptocurrency X doing thing Y." Someone will be making money but I think it won't be the people who hop on board while the hype is at max.

17 hours ago, Erudito said:

Any predictions on how many pages will be in this thread by the event end?

16 hours ago, Saksham said:

how do i confirm its activated?

i already tried putting it on its side and upside down. (no change)

Upside down might not be a change from sideways but I personally like it because it seems sturdier. To confirm that your key is active you should be getting point bonus for each wu. I'm sure there is a better way but double check the key section in the advanced controller also and just make sure there is a key present there.

15 hours ago, Spotty said:

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend running F@H on a laptop. Their batteries and cooling just really aren't up for a constant heavy load.
Though, I do wonder how a mobile GPU will compare to its desktop counterpart when it comes to PPW (Points Per Watt).

F@H actually has a setting built in to auto stop when on battery vs plugged in. But yeah when it comes to cooling and heat that is up to you an probably dependent on how good the cooling of your laptop already is. I personally do it on mine just GPU to not add more heat and I really only do it for folding month itself anyways. Also I heard that some people folding on 1070 mobile chips were getting  better ppd than the desktop 1070s but only in cases where they could keep the temps really down. But the mobile 1070 actually has more cuda cores than the desktop one for some reason.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

16 hours ago, Spakes said:

Which is why I described how to tweak laptops for folding 24/7 w/o problems like overheating. But I forgot to say about DC power, thanks for reminder.

what are those things that I can do? I didnt see anything.

I change my answer for pages. its 45 when the competition starts, 176 after it ends

also ,I am only folding on my GPU (no cpu).

yet, my cpu temperature is way higher than GPU. 

gpu temp: 72 power limit reached

cpu: 95+ temp limit reached

7 minutes ago, Saksham said:

also ,I am only folding on my GPU (no cpu).

yet, my cpu temperature is way higher than GPU. 

gpu temp: 72 power limit reached

cpu: 95+ temp limit reached

What CPU/GPU do you have?  Most laptops have combined heat pipes/sinks so I would expect them to be closer unless the CPU was working super hard while the GPU wasn't…or the thermal paste on the CPU had failed from age.

12 minutes ago, justpoet said:

What CPU/GPU do you have?  Most laptops have combined heat pipes/sinks so I would expect them to be closer unless the CPU was working super hard while the GPU wasn't…or the thermal paste on the CPU had failed from age.

8750h + 1060 laptop

6 month old laptop

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's literally in the first 3 lines :P

image.png.f684681b2b17b4e08a0240d571e063fe.png

oh lol I must've been reading the wrong one, I thought the pinned message was supposed to have it

1 minute ago, Nathans nonsense said:

oh lol I must've been reading the wrong one, I thought the pinned message was supposed to have it

The pinned message literally tells you to read the OP(first post)....

???

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 hours ago, Saksham said:

8750h + 1060 laptop

6 month old laptop

Hmm, those CPUs do tend to run warm, but unless you're hitting it reasonably hard it shouldn't be super hot like that.

6 hours ago, Saksham said:

what are those things that I can do? I didnt see anything.

I change my answer for pages. its 45 when the competition starts, 176 after it ends

I'd say 60+ pages when competition starts (even more if there will be more shout out on youtube/floatplane).

BTW, minimum requirements are completed for overall folding for LTT team or only during competition?

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

27 minutes ago, Spakes said:

BTW, minimum requirements are completed for overall folding for LTT team or only during competition?

For the team during the event.

Why does my FAHControl says I'm folding with 139k points per day? But I got 700k points in the last 24 hrs.

52 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

there's presently an issue with this while they're upgrading some servers on their side. your points are being attributed as normal despite the low readout - for confirmation, check back in the logs for the points value after you get the "server responded WORK_ACK" message

Will we have to upgrade the software when they are finished?

4 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

no update needed, this is all done in the background, there's no real need for them to push another folding client out atm as the current one works well

Exactly, although the current client is quite old it works fine... I wouldn't mind an updated one myself just to look prettier haha.

I'll be posting an update shortly of sign ups and the like.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

40 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

there are some options i'd like, such as shutting down after WU's finish and finishing after a certain time

You just click 'finish' in the advanced control window and it will complete the current WU and then stop.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Guys, update time.

We are now up to 1,193 sign ups, 

we have 1,144 active folders for team LTT and over the last day we produced 122m points. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

30 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Guys, update time.

We are now up to 1,193 sign ups, 

we have 1,144 active folders for team LTT and over the last day we produced 122m points. 

well damn, thats actually pretty impressive!

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

well damn, thats actually pretty impressive!

Agreed, but to hit our production target were going to bed to double our production. I'm wondering how many people haven't put in their passkey

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Agreed, but to hit our production target were going to bed to double our production. I'm wondering how many people haven't put in their passkey

There might be those too, but some might have registered to the event and only folded couple WUs and now wait for the event. I think that these users are still counted as active at stats.

Also if you go with GPU folding only getting 10WUs might take some time even if you fold 24/7. I have got some fun WUs that take over 5 hours with gtx 1070, so if you get these at start it will take some time.

And I know from last event that there are some serious folding power to be expected as top spot on the list is at stake ?

To anybody wondering if they should upgrade:

It's ok, you can click that buy button for that card. But wait you can get two or more with same shipping cost.

The Linus techtips forum way of thinking ?