Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

Connecting an Ethernet cable into a Power Surge Protector and using a HDMI 2.0 cables to transfer Ethernet from the Surge Protector to say an Xbox or a Playstation, would the device pick up the internet? 

I suggest something about the CPU C-states and what all of those different C-ratings mean. Should these be modified when overclocking, is there any benefit to it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

how about one about the forums

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Would having an SSD as a slave and having a HDD as a master degrade the performance of the SSD?

I'd really like to see a review of SilentCircle's BlackPhone 1. There aren't almost any reviews out there.

A video on file system fragmentation and defragging HDDs would be great. I'm sure plenty of people would find this useful.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

What the heck 61core Xeon co-processor on PCI-e does, what it is in general and in what way it may benefit for the user... but I guess it's something like a Tesla...

I would love to see a Tech Quickie video covering the differences between ethernet rj45 cables (cat5/cat5e/cat6/cat6e).

The average person who enjoys online gaming understands that a wired connection is generally superior to wireless as far as latency goes, but I found myself knowing very little about what the different patch cord specs refer to when it came time to purchase a new one.

I would think this could be especially beneficial as 10gbps networking has gone from being completely out of a normal price range to something a regular person might look into...I don't even know if 10gbps NICs use an rj45 connector!

Thanks for taking suggestions!

I would love to see a Tech Quickie video covering the differences between ethernet rj45 cables (cat5/cat5e/cat6/cat6e).

The average person who enjoys online gaming understands that a wired connection is generally superior to wireless as far as latency goes, but I found myself knowing very little about what the different patch cord specs refer to when it came time to purchase a new one.

I would think this could be especially beneficial as 10gbps networking has gone from being completely out of a normal price range to something a regular person might look into...I don't even know if 10gbps NICs use an rj45 connector!

Thanks for taking suggestions!

He already did one with rj45 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

What is a Molex connector, why was it replaced?

My PC:

Spoiler

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti D5 4G, Ram: 16GB (2x8) HyperX Fury DDR4, Case: NZXT S340, Psu: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W , HDD's: WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 256GB Scorpio Blue, WD 2TB Caviar Blue  SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240Gb

He already did one with rj45 

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. I started watching LTT/TQ in Fall 2013 so I missed that one.

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. I started watching LTT/TQ in Fall 2013 so I missed that one.

he pretty much did a tech quickie on almost everything that we needed to know. Very helpful. I ran out of ideas for him and i think he did too

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Linus, you should defo do a Usenet FAP. You've done torrents but Usenet is where it all began.

Oh and how bout a UEFI one too.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Some suggestions:

-Remote desktop/ssh

-Backup solutions

-Version Control, (more in cloud services like dropbox tham things like Git/svn)

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

You should do a episode on different types of LAN 

Does gaming lan actually work? Whats the point of having all those Ethernet ports on networking cards and does it matter to the average user? 

• 2 weeks later...

@LinusTech I would like to see a techquickie about Raid cards, who needs them and what advantages they offer.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

• Software defined networking (SDN) - configuration of a network no longer relies on what is supported natively by network hardware but what can be supported programmatically
  • Software defined radio (SDR) - a fond hobby of some wireless enthusiasts and hackers as well as great way of probing wireless networks

...yes I like networking and software. But I sure would love to hear the LMG take on these

Made a new thread on this. Feel free to close it

Hi. I really enjoy the Techquickie channel but am pretty sure there's a LOT more that can be done here. 

Wanted to get the ball rolling (since I didn't see elsewhere on the forums for this) for people's suggestions on the subjects of the Techquickie, since uploads seem to be infrequent these days

For Techquickie Site, because I think this has biggest path for site increase

• Intel vs AMD - History and which firm specializes with what
  • Water cooling - how does the technology actually work i.e. does water actually touch the chip, etc
  • Buying fancy, higher OC GPUs - is there a real difference vs dollars spent?
  • eSports -- What it is?
  • DRM - Explained
  • Mousemats -- Hard vs soft/buying guide
  • USB Sound cards - do they really make a difference?
  • Mouse bungee - what are they and are they worth it
  • Mechanical keyboard - Reasons to purchase for non-gaming (e.g. does it improve WPM?)
  • RAM - High profile vs bog standard, is there a difference apart from cosmetics?
  • Headphones -- Using DJ headphones for gaming, do you really lose out?
  • Intel Processors - To K or not to K, that is the question. 
  • Gaming laptops - What are the trade-offs when you purchase a thin one or a thick one (e.g. Razer vs Alienware)

And then maybe another series like 'small things that make a big difference' for more of a business/mature audience. 

• SSDs - how it impacts your day to day
  • Keyboards - enabling employees to type faster
  • GMail based email systems - which save drafts as you type them out
  • Good software that's free or low budget alternatives e.g. Kaspersky vs AVG
  • The one upgrade that will make the biggest difference? e.g. let's say someone has $400 laptop and has a small budget, and they want to upgrade it for their Mom. What's the one thing they'll notice the most upon changing?

I appreciate not all these are maybe TQ and may have some overlap to LTT. But I figured this may be a good starting place. I mean, there's probably a lot of posts relating to LTT content, but what about TQ stuff? Again, sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

Maybe the system design life cycle? Don't know if it's already been said.

Da Monster: Intel core i3 540, Radeon HD 6850, 250GB HHD, 19" Dell, 24" 1280x768 Sony TV, Dell OEM motherboard :)

TV PC: AMD Athlon 64 5000+, radeon HD 5450, 500GB HDD, 19" Dell, 42" Sony TV, Dell OEM motherboard

Toshiba Encore 8" Windows 8.1 Tablet and Huawei Ascend G620S smartphone w/Snapdragon 410