Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

Check date of post

Check date of video

:)

You know the point of making suggestions is so that hopefully he will make a video about it eventually :P

Oh, sorry!

- UPS battery backups, the proper amount for your PC

- Mice: polling rate, types of grips (palm, claw, fingertip) and differences

- RAM Disk, brief explanation

- Less storage than it appears explained (1TB HDD but Windows shows 931GB, why manufacturers measure e.g 1MB = 1000KB instead of 1024KB)

- Powerline networking explained

- LCD, LED, OLED, Plasma revision featuring AMOLED and E-ink

- TV and monitor technology differences (Panels type, response times, imput lag, etc.)

- Power measurements, Watts, amps, mAh and Voltages explained

They have explained RAM disks before :)

how to choose the right cpu socket compatible for the motherboard

Firmware

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770S 3.1GHz Quad-Core CPU Cooler: Corsair H90 Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Ram: Kingston Fury Black 16GB SSD: Intel 730 Series 240GB SATA: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 CASE: NZXT H440 (Green/Black) PSU: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" x2 Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Mouse: Razer Naga Headphones: Razer Kraken.

- What are RAM timing things, what do they mean? Like these 5-5-5-15 things you see in HWinfo, I have no clue. And what is "matching" RAM, same vendor? How to optimize RAM? Lot's of people just buy fitting RAM with  the same frequency (like 4x 1GB 800Mhz DDR2), but do other things or specs matter and should they all be the same?

- How are freauency's of RAM / FSB / CPU / GPU / GPUMemory linked to each other, is there any link? Can it be optimized?

- Why is Windows saying "7.2GB of 8GB available" on the RAM?

- How to find the correct power supply for your MB / GPU (different generations? different connectors? seperate cables for GPU? I have no idea)

- Best practices about taking backups using the standard Windows Features (recovery disk, scheduled backup, restore point robocopy...?)

- How to check if your hard disk (hdd, ssd) is in good health and if it needs pro-active replacement or not (bad sectors?)

- Does a more powerfull power supply consume more power during idle, or less? Is it linear?

- What is the difference between the 12MB cache on f.e. the Q9650, while the recent fast processors just have 1 or 2MB cache in total. Were these old processors total overkill on the cache?

SSD lifetime, about how they have limited write and read cycles, what happens when the SSD reaches the end of it's life time in terms of reallocating sectors and things of that effect. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

SSD lifetime, about how they have limited write and read cycles, what happens when the SSD reaches the end of it's life time in terms of reallocating sectors and things of that effect. 

stop.... go to techreport. they just finished an extremely LONG benchmark until they finally all died. http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead..............hope they start over with some of todays most popular models. .............

stop.... go to techreport. they just finished an extremely LONG benchmark until they finally all died. http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead..............hope they start over with some of todays most popular models. .............

I read it, it's where I got the inspiration from , but I know that they wont get as much coverage as they would if it were  a LTT video, more source of information the better. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I think a techquickie video would be better than reading an article :P

I read it, it's where I got the inspiration from , but I know that they wont get as much coverage as they would if it were  a LTT video, more source of information the better. 

i find videos more entertaining than reading, but you pick up more in the written word.

did I say linus should do a test? I take that back. he takes money from too many sources. be hard for him to be impartial.

but I do think it's long past due for sites to hammer the shit out of these things ( all popular ) and give us the skinny.  in the Tr report the samsung ended up being the last to die, but what would happen to their most recent pile of crap that they tried the different nand in that they had troubles with ( still have troubles with ) you can't fix a hardware blunder with software updates.  seems like they tried a PNY/kingston thing where they tried to cheapen the drives up but it backfired.

i find videos better than reading, but you pick up more in the written word.

did I say linus should do a test? I take that back. he takes money from too many sources. be hard for him to be impartial.

I guess so. Anyway there's probably very little chance he reads these anyways. 

I guess so. Anyway there's probably very little chance he reads these anyways. 

guess i didn't type fast enough. read my edit.

Mounting multiple monitors on one stand and the differences between stands

I don't want Linus to belittle himself........... BUT.......... I see quite a few threads about people running what most of us would deem obsolete hardware and asking for graphics card upgrades. All to often people suggest cards that are too power hungry for the power supplies listed by the OP,  and all too often there are suggestionjs of cards too powerful for the cpu. Just today an old athlon AM2 cpu and 2 gigs of system ram. ......... blown out of proportion by do-gooders/well wishers.

C'mon Linus, belittle yourself. run some old configurations, low end to mid range stuff and see what cards are a waste of time and money for said configurations............ ( these would be machines of lesser stature than you recent $300 builds )

what my dream has come to be

please maintenance video please on a case, tips and do not do's.

mod tips on painting the heatsinks and gluing SSD's with hot glue to the case ?

please how do we take care and mod the phantom 820 to be as 2015 as possible !

(like the leds video you guys did on the back IO to light up like the phantom's)

what a DREAM it will be

Thanks

post-193326-0-22622200-1426376110.jpg

post-193326-0-22622200-1426376110.jpg

Edited by Benielishackove

When i'm not playing PC games i'm playing with my PC parts  Fans,Pumps,Filters,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Binaural audio.

It's very important for VR and just cool in general.

because of  the recent controversy over one wipe charlies creating problems for sewer systems........... there's a thread on that................. how's about a vid on one wipe charlies vs bidets......... what works better?

how to choose the right cpu socket compatible for the motherboard

pcpartpicker.com

This website will do nearly all of the legwork for you. It's compatibility filter wont let you pick incompatible parts (most of the time, it will warn you of any issues) so you can just get to work in picking parts.

My advice, start at the CPU, then MoBo and then the rest can be done in any order.

I would like to know about RAM Timing 2-2-2-8, 16-16-16-20, etc. what does it mean? 

Thanks Linus!

Ubisoft and why their being F*CKING idiots, or any other game companies act like they do.

Have you tried to restart it?