Nvidia Raytraces the Moon Landing

TacticalSquid

How could they possibly have landed on the moon without ray-racing in the first place?

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

If there is light, anything will drop a shadow unless it's a blinding light reflecting of something.

That's the entire point of the original tech demo. To prove that the lunar soil can bounce off enough sunlight to sufficiently light up something within an object casting a shadow from the sun.

Which would mean his whole suit belly would be bright. But wasn't.

??? Lunar soil albedo isn't that high.

Just the valves looked like they were stuck there without any material properties other than basic specular map which gives it that fake shine. Which just makes no sense. Or the rectangular thing on the lunar module that also sticks out in the video like it was placed there without any normal and specular map what so ever.

It looks more like they were following basic physically based shader material principles and didn't bother with anything more than coloring.

I mean it obviously sounds like you know a lot more than NVIDIA's developers. So why don't you go create your own? With blackjack and hookers?

mwahahahahahaaaaaa~ this article reminded me RTX still existed XD the games sure as hell aren't.

Bolivia.

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

That's the entire point of the original tech demo. To prove that the lunar soil can bounce off enough sunlight to sufficiently light up something within an object casting a shadow from the sun.

??? Lunar soil albedo isn't that high.

It looks more like they were following basic physically based shader material principles and didn't bother with anything more than coloring.

I mean it obviously sounds like you know a lot more than NVIDIA's developers. So why don't you go create your own? With blackjack and hookers?

Ah yes, the usual "why don't you do it". Whatever. If it looks so horribly off I don't need to recreate anything.

10 hours ago, laminutederire said:

The thing is that it doesn't seem to be a really challenging scene either, so its not that impressive. Itll become impressive with large number of light sources, of different models, with raytraced participating medium, caustics, snow, sand etc.

You are thinking of it like a computer game where the scenery and physics are all controlled engineered by the computer/artist, their primary goal here is to be as accurate as possible with the physical conditions, not make them look pretty by being able to control light angles, materials, etc. 

If you don't like the way a window looks in a game you can change it's refractive index and it will look better in the game,  they are not going to change the refractive index of space suits and valves etc just to make it look prettier, they are trying to recreate as realistic representation of what it actually looks like from the source material. They are trying to be as true to the original with very limited input data. 

It's Nvidia, if they wanted they could bend the the light, add some colors and shit and make the moon dust look amazing, but that's not their goal.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Aha now we know how they faked it. Their secret has been revealed. Muahahahaha

6 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I mean it obviously sounds like you know a lot more than NVIDIA's developers.

The amount of times people make claims like that is amazing.

>company invests millions of dollars using top end hardware/talent and puts their reputation on the line producing something.

>Internet random claims the output could have been done by a monkey in a basement.

If the end of 5 years work by people way more professional than us, using hardware we can only dream about and with Industry support from Nasa and Nvidia, is some how lack luster to our eyes, then maybe we are not considering half of what they have done and the limitations they might have faced.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

You are thinking of it like a computer game where the scenery and physics are all controlled engineered by the computer/artist, their primary goal here is to be as accurate as possible with the physical conditions, not make them look pretty by being able to control light angles, materials, etc. 

If you don't like the way a window looks in a game you can change it's refractive index and it will look better in the game,  they are not going to change the refractive index of space suits and valves etc just to make it look prettier, they are trying to recreate as realistic representation of what it actually looks like from the source material. They are trying to be as true to the original with very limited input data. 

It's Nvidia, if they wanted they could bend the the light, add some colors and shit and make the moon dust look amazing, but that's not their goal.

I'm not the one complaining about it not looking good...

I'm saying that they are recreating a not so complex scene from a rendering complexity.

8 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

I'm saying that they are recreating a not so complex scene from a rendering complexity.

So it should be easy then right? Probably could have done it on 10-20 year old tech? 

This is such an awesome waste of money that its worth it!

So it should be easy then right? Probably could have done it on 10-20 year old tech? 

Well it's not a huge leap forward no... its nice bit it's in no way groundbreaking

29 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Well it's not a huge leap forward no... its nice bit it's in no way groundbreaking

didn't answer the question.

EDIT: Don't forget this is the quality of their source material:

that and a few higher res photo's.  It's not like they have access to a MAYA data bank of this stuff that they can just manipulate, they have to extract all the data from this.   

didn't answer the question.

EDIT: Don't forget this is the quality of their source material:

that and a few higher res photo's.  It's not like they have access to a MAYA data bank of this stuff that they can just manipulate, they have to extract all the data from this.   

And NASA deleted the original high quality recordings. The best we've got is low quality videotapes of the live broadcast and a Super 8 film recording of one of the primary down-link monitors.

1 hour ago, harryk said:

And NASA deleted the original high quality recordings. The best we've got is low quality videotapes of the live broadcast and a Super 8 film recording of one of the primary down-link monitors.

How can something so important in history be misplaced...

Well, we can always have Nick Cage find it in exchange for a movie.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

9 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

How can something so important in history be misplaced...

Well, we can always have Nick Cage find it in exchange for a movie.

The story is that in the 1980's NASA erased and reused the tapes. After the moon landing Congress began cutting away at NASA's budget. Faced with a shortage of data tapes and no money to buy new ones they instituted a policy of erasing and reusing old tapes from previous programs. It's likely the tapes were erased without anyone realizing what they were. 

Sooooooooo Dulllllllll, RTX was such a bad choice on their part. We've lost 3 years in performance for a technology that inst supported and no one cares about.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

On 7/19/2019 at 1:08 PM, Fakmykak said:

Here come all the people who gonna start claiming NASA faked the moon landing.

Just my thoughts exactly! We have proof now! It was rendered on an Nvidia graphics card!!

4 hours ago, maartendc said:

Just my thoughts exactly! We have proof now! It was rendered on an Nvidia graphics card!!

I want Jensen's time machine ?

7 hours ago, Bravo1cc said:

Sooooooooo Dulllllllll, RTX was such a bad choice on their part. We've lost 3 years in performance for a technology that inst supported and no one cares about.

The same thing happened in the past and most if not all of those features are now in every modern GPU. ?

On 7/19/2019 at 12:08 PM, Fakmykak said:

Here come all the people who gonna start claiming NASA faked the moon landing.

if we landed on the moon then why is the mission named after apollo the sun god? wake up people we never landed on the moon we landed on the sun

14 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The same thing happened in the past and most if not all of those features are now in every modern GPU. ?

Agreed but the price gouging is worse than ever.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

31 minutes ago, Bravo1cc said:

Agreed but the price gouging is worse than ever.

The price gouging is so bad even AMD are starting to make profits.

On 7/21/2019 at 12:51 AM, mr moose said:

ILM was doing this for Disney on 4 Quadros/Titans IIRC in real time. So no, not 10-20 year old tech, but it was possible... fitting it in 1 pc is new and special. Doing it at all is not.

10 hours ago, TechyBen said:

ILM was doing this for Disney on 4 Quadros/Titans IIRC in real time. So no, not 10-20 year old tech, but it was possible... fitting it in 1 pc is new and special. Doing it at all is not.

Again that is working with completely controlled environments and pre rendered artwork. They didn't create toy story from a grainy 50year old barely understandable video.  From what I understand big hero 6 took months to render on huge render farms and it only had 127 traces per frame (happy to be corrected on that given I didn't look it up and operating on memory). This is an interactive recreation from that first video (meaning it recreates all the traces as you move the mouse).