Amazon and 3rd parties can keep Alexa records after customers delete them

Delicieuxz

US senator Chris Coons wrote Amazon some questions about how they handle Alexa customer data, and in a letter dated June 28, Amazon responded with some details about Alexa's behaviour.

I'm not sure that any of the information given by Amazon's Public Policy vice president, Brian Huseman, is very eventful, but one paragraph does mention that 3rd-party developers can retain records of Alexa user interactions:

When a customer deletes a voice recording, we delete the transcripts associated with the customer’s account of both of the customer’s request and Alexa’s response. We already delete those transcripts from all of Alexa’s primary storage systems, and we have an ongoing effort to ensure those transcripts do not remain in any of Alexa’s other storage systems. We do not store the audio of Alexa’s response. However, we may still retain other records of customers’ Alexa interactions, including records of actions Alexa took in response to the customer’s request. And when a customer interacts with an Alexa skill, that skill developer may also retain records of the interaction. For example, for many types of Alexa requests – such as when a customer subscribes to Amazon Music Unlimited, places an Amazon Fresh order, requests a car from Uber or Lyft, orders a pizza from Domino’s, or makes an in-skill purchase of premium digital content – Amazon and/or the applicable skill developer obviously need to keep a record of the transaction. And for other types of Alexa requests – for instance, setting a recurring alarm, asking Alexa to remind you of your anniversary, placing a meeting on your calendar, sending a message to a friend – customers would not want or expect deletion of the voice recording to delete the underlying data or prevent Alexa from performing the requested task.

An example of Amazon not deleting data relevant to a user-requested task might be this test, where Amazon's Echo Dot device for kids is asked to remember certain information, and then that information is instructed to be deleted, but the Echo Dot still remembers all of the remembered-and-then-deleted data afterwards:

If that is an example of what Amazon is talking about, then I think that the deliberate and wilful process of deleting that information from the device should overrule any other prerogative the device might have had over that data.

Also, while Amazon says, "customers would not want or expect deletion of the voice recording to delete the underlying data or prevent Alexa from performing the requested task", the fact is that if a customer deliberately asks for specific data to be deleted, then they obviously do want and expect that data to be deleted.

July 3rd, Chris Coons wrote on his website:

I appreciate that Amazon responded promptly to my concerns, and I’m encouraged that their answers demonstrate an understanding of the importance of and a commitment to protecting users’ personal information. However, Amazon’s response leaves open the possibility that transcripts of user voice interactions with Alexa are not deleted from all of Amazon’s servers, even after a user has deleted a recording of his or her voice,” said Senator Coons. “What’s more, the extent to which this data is shared with third parties, and how those third parties use and control that information, is still unclear.

Amazon's words in their response sound innocuous on their own, but when they're matched to the test video of an Echo Dot device not deleting the data it was asked to delete I think it's seen that Amazon's words could be more PR than straight-forward.

And with there having been various other customer-data incidents involving Amazon's listening devices, I think more scrutiny of what is actually going on needs to be done.

Amazon Workers Are Listening to What You Tell Alexa

Woman says her Amazon device recorded private conversation, sent it out to random contact

Alexa, what’s my neighbor doing? ‘Human error’ allows user to eavesdrop on stranger’s life

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

What's the point of delete function then? That's straight up deception. So, easiest way to get scott free from any responsibility is to shuffle the data to a "contractor" and you lose any obligation to the user data since it has been already "handed over". That's just straight up BS.

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Its the internet. What goes up doesnt come down. I dont know why people still expect big corporations to ever go out of their way to respect privacy, when it is obvious that doing so means losing a huge money making opportunity.

The whole 'fight for privacy' move is so hopeless that even governments are against privacy. People need to take action and responsibility if they seriously want privacy. I'm talking about going to extremes to block online ads and scripts, and regain low level control over app permissions to stop tracking and telemetry.

Its a hopeless losing battle for anyone who expects some group or organisation to eventually hand their privacy back on a silver platter. 

So should everyone just give up and roll over? Yes, it's a losing battle (in many ways an already lost battle), but there's zero benefit to just taking a full nihilistic approach and saying "screw it, take it all". 

If there's even a 1% chance of motivating enough government officials to actually change the laws on the matter, it could be the beginning of a shift in the way people view their data and privacy. It won't change overnight and maybe not in our lifetimes, but I'll take a slim chance over none at all. 

Whilst I don't trust amazon and will never have any of these devices,  because they are likely just lying,  what they have said is that they will delete everything except current active notifications and business requests.  Given that voice recordings is likely the only evidence they have of a chargeable service/product being requested that is a fair expectation. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

31 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

They wouldn't do that.

See the source image

I know, I said I don't trust them,  but it is important to not misrepresent what people are saying, especially if you are engaging in a public debate.     I see it so many times, a legitimate issue that should be denounced becomes the victim and defended because some public lobby group lied and misrepresented the issues in an effort to get it closed down.

And besides that, whenever I read "A US politician has questioned *insert public issues here*"  What I actually read is "US politician is paying lip service to an issue while he sets up the opposite in law when you are not watching"

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I honestly think if you get one of these devices then you are inviting the private corporations into your lives.

Honestly it is scary, I have recently been deleting as much data as I can using GDPR as my weapon. I can only hope they these corporations far the EU enough to follow through... 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

This is my surprised face:

' '

>

---

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Excuse me as I fail to be surprised.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I'm not surprised, Google probably does the same with their garbage "pay to install a bug" devices too.

One of these "smart speakers" or whatever is not staying in my home for more than a minute before it goes out the window or I stomp it. These devices should not exist and nobody should buy one.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I wonder should I get a job as a Big data analyst when I graduate.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition