Prototype Xbox controllers for phones and tablets

ADF

Summary:  Microsoft is experimenting with and has patented gaming controllers for mobile devises IE phones, tablets.  The controllers could be used to game on mobile devises using the XCLOUD streaming service giving consumers greater mobility and opening up the market to anyone with a phone or tablet. 

Microsoft is experimenting with prototype Xbox controllers for phones and tablets. The controllers attach to the sides of devices to provide an experience that’s similar to Nintendo’s Switch. “The success of the Switch is testament to the value of mobile gaming with physical controls,” explains a Microsoft Research paper, spotted by Windows Central.

Microsoft has been experimenting with a variety of slide-in grips that can make the attachments far more flexible and less bulky than solutions that already exist like GameCase, GameVice, and ION iCade mobile. Microsoft Research first documented these prototype controllers back in October, and now Microsoft has even patented the idea.

Sources:  https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/9/20687750/microsoft-xbox-controller-phones-tablets-prototype-xcloud

https://hypebeast.com/2019/7/microsoft-xbox-controller-prototype-phone-tablet-mobile-games-nintendo-switch

https://www.techradar.com/news/prototype-xbox-controllers-for-phones-and-tablets-show-up-in-research-papers

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/10348108.pdf

Picture:

1220989483_Annotation2019-07-09144933.jpg.4770c9c23077faec0f92fb135e6ec766.jpg

Edited by SansVarnic
Fixed quote and picture for you. Im nice sometimes :)

HTPC (Main System): 9600k @ 4.4GHz |   RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G OC | SAMSUNG 970 Pro 512GB boot | SAMSUNG 860 EEVO 1TB | 65 inch TV @ 1080P 120htz

NAS: 8TB Synology

Laptop1: ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo | i9-9980HK | RTX 2060 | 1TB PCIe SSD

Laptop2: HP SpectreFolio | i7-8500Y

Bedroom PC: ACEPC AK1 | 500GB HDD | 50 inch TV @ 60htz

Those are ugly af

You could just ask me to throw money away for you Microsoft. 

Make me a split controller so I can use it while laying in bed with my hands next to me on the mattress, and I will give you the world.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Sounds expensive

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, TrigrH said:

i love how in the photo it clips onto phones and tablets with bezels larger than 10yr old devices :P

As soon as I saw this I thought the image must have been made a couple of years ago, and they just re-opened the project because of xcloud.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Hell no. The reason why mobile controllers are bulky is to make space for holding the phone without covering 25% of the screen.

Can we just use bluetooth for normal controllers microsoft? Can we?

✨FNIGE✨

10 hours ago, TrigrH said:

i love how in the photo it clips onto phones and tablets with bezels larger than 10yr old devices :P

or a kindle fire.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

suddenly bezels on phones become desirable

Qj8kqVY.jpg

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 hours ago, hiitswilliam said:

Those are ugly af

But interesting though.

Gamepads for tablets seem to be all over the place in quality so good luck to microsoft here.

13 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

Make me a split controller so I can use it while laying in bed with my hands next to me on the mattress, and I will give you the world.

You mean like a Switch, just for Xbox?

1 hour ago, hiitswilliam said:

You mean like a Switch, just for Xbox?

Eh kinda. The idea, yeah, but I don't like the Switch's ergonomics. they're too small and weirdly shaped. What I'd really like is a split XB1 controller.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I kinda like it, except the 'wings' tho but they are interesting. Do they work for pc too?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

10 hours ago, CTR640 said:

I kinda like it, except the 'wings' tho but they are interesting. Do they work for pc too?

Yeah! just slide them onto your monitor and look like the biggest douche bag in the room!

On 7/10/2019 at 2:19 AM, TrigrH said:

the clips would cover a good chunk of my s8 screen :/

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Why not just make a $5 clip on for the Xbone controller that can hold a phone, and then pair with Bluetooth. 

It's not like any sane person would leave those folded up monstrocities attached to their device when they weren't actively playing anyway. 

I don't know... this is R&D stuff... Looks are the last thing in research mind at this stage.

Once a product in the R&D Lab is seen to be a success, now it goes to the product designer experts whose challenge is to make the product appealing, durable, etc. following a target budget.

Looks cool, but why not just make the Xbox One controller Android compatible????

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Looks cool, but why not just make the Xbox One controller Android compatible????

How are you are supposed to play it if you don't have a phone case with a kickstand or something to prop it up, and not surface to do all this?

I guess you could get those strange phone adapters with some shitty controllers attach.

Dungeon_Hunter_Windows_Phone_MOGA_Pro_Controller_Photo.jpg?itok=HdLm5YNA

Just now, GoodBytes said:

How are you are supposed to play it if you don't have a phone case with a kickstand or something to prop it up, and not surface to do all this?

I guess you could get those strange phone adapters with some shitty controllers attach.

S-10328GR.jpg?$MediumRHD$&iccEmbed=1&icc=AdobeRGB

/s

I would probably just prop my phone up to something and use it like that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 11:53 AM, williamcll said:

Sounds expensive

Depends on what phone controller you choose @williamcll. When I was buying a controller for my I phone, I stumbled on this article. It explains every detail of the controller. Later I found a good piece for $55 on Amazon. Really affordable one I believe. Yet, it doesn't matter because I would spend even $100. My gaming experience has improved A LOT with a controller and I highly recommend it to every gamer.

On 7/13/2019 at 4:44 PM, Minibois said:

/s

I would probably just prop my phone up to something and use it like that.

that litteraly sounds like what I would do.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!