NOW is the iPad Pro a Computer?

3 hours ago, floofer said:

Makes a huge difference in terms of what we can expect. But it also does make Linus seem a little uninformed.

I would bet that even some apple users will call them windows (Unless they are called spaces on Apple computers also). Kinda like a lot of people use hyperthreading when talking about AMD CPU´s. Vast majority is familiar for a long time with that term.

8 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I would bet that even some apple users will call them windows (Unless they are called spaces on Apple computers also). Kinda like a lot of people use hyperthreading when talking about AMD CPU´s. Vast majority is familiar for a long time with that term.

Spaces has been around since Snow Leopard, maybe Leopard. Before my time that’s for sure. 

5 hours ago, floofer said:

- snip -

@IAmDarthMole already said most of the things I had in mind, so I won't repeat them.

You seem to misunderstand what the video is actually about; the video wasn't made to showcase everything that came with iPadOS, it was made to ask then answer whether or not the iPad Pro is a good alternative to computers in general, if it can someday replace the macbook for example.

Would love to watch the video but I’m in public and my iPad Pro doesn’t have a headphone jack (and it’s not compatible with my iPhone headphones!)

14 hours ago, emosun said:

i'd sooner use a windows 95 machine over apple so i could actually do computer stuff , but hey different strokes for different folks

What's "computer stuff"?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Spaces, in MacOS, is basicly their implementation of Unix screens. Given Apple tends to keep words consistent across their products, that hints that it's more than just "here's a window and here's a window", but more "here's a workspace and here's a workspace", which could develop down the road to full different setups for different functions (like "this is my video editing workspace with the apps I use most for that, and then I press this and that's all hidden for my writing workspace")

-----------------------------

Reading thru this thread, I do wonder....what do you use tablets for?  I mean, let's put the silly marketing of "replace your computer" aside....but I have a laptop, a desktop, and a tablet...and while the have some overlapping fucntionality, they're very different tools.  My iPad has a keyboard case for if I want to do serious typing on it, but mainly it's a media consumption device.  reading, videos, some light games....But I go to my laptop or desktop if I need to do serious typing or work.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

4 hours ago, Dredgy said:

Would love to watch the video but I’m in public and my iPad Pro doesn’t have a headphone jack (and it’s not compatible with my iPhone headphones!)

Did you forget your dongle? ;)

9 minutes ago, IAmDarthMole said:

Did you forget your dongle? ;)

Doesn’t come with one. I live semi rurally and can’t find USB-C to headphone dongles anywhere. I can find lightning to headphone dongles everywhere, but they’re useless.

I believe that this is about sales of each device (not the experience and not anything else). The strategy is that if you are on Apple side, you will be very tempted into buying both iPad and iMac.

I have heard opinions that there is no touch screen because you want your iMac screen clean from fingerprints and look stylish, so that it does not distort the perfect colors.

3 hours ago, Dredgy said:

Doesn’t come with one. I live semi rurally and can’t find USB-C to headphone dongles anywhere. I can find lightning to headphone dongles everywhere, but they’re useless.

And that's why I choose the iPad Air 3

60% the pơer but $300 cheaper, better to hold, and has a headphone jack too !

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

From an IT/Sysadmin view, did anyone try Citrix or MS Remote Desktop with iPadOS and a mouse?

If yes, I could start handout iPad's instead of notebooks that have way more problems with drivers etc. and my user hate it, because we have spend to much time with fixing and save about 40% of our first & second level support staff worktime with just go to reinstall the device.

15 hours ago, floofer said:

Hello big points to make 

1) Spaces is the name of the multitasking in MacOS, don’t call them Windows.

2) No mention of Dark Mode?

3) No mention of extending your MacOS screen into your iPad?

4) Touch screen support is fine in MacOS, they just don’t sell any laptops with them. 
5) No redesigned apps mention, new notes, photos, iMessage, App Store, etc. 

Not so bad, 5.7/10 C+. High expectations from your last video. Mediocre, but not unenjoyable. 

This was already a longer-than-average video, so I opted to not spend time on Dark Mode, which is also in iOS 13 and isn't iPadOS-specific, and SideCar, which is just Apple's version of a feature that was already available through third-party apps. Sidecar is also not relevant to the question of whether you could replace your laptop with an iPad Pro, which was the question we were trying to address with the video. 

As far as I could tell there wasn't much of a redesign in any of the apps. Files has new Column views, which we mentioned. Safari can display desktop pages by default, which we mentioned, although I didn't mention the new Downloads button. Notes, Photos, iMessage, App Store were all essentially the same in the beta build we were using. Not sure if they're getting complete redesigns in future builds. 

7 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

What's "computer stuff"?

like... opening and manipulating a file

16 hours ago, Gimpyg said:

Holey smokes! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions. The Apple video you linked has some promising and exciting stuff, thanks for sending it my way. Here is a video I made showing how I play World of Warcraft with a headmouse that connects to pc via old school usb. 

https://youtu.be/0y-caVznAlw

if you think he would like it, could you show Linus? Thank you again for your time.

Wow! Nice job setting all that up! 

Actually, I feel like that headmouse should work fine with iPadOS with a USB-C to USB-A dongle! 

I'll definitely forward the video to Linus :) 

22 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:
  • The first iPad (2010) came before the Surface RT (2012). 
  • The Surface RT as well as Windows RT flopped with one of the reasons to be its lackluster ecosystem compared to Apple's
  • Windows RT is not a touch first OS compared to iOS or even Android. 
  • Gestures in RT take so much taps like app switching. 
  • The Surface RT underperformed even after several software updates and crappy SoC which is the NVIDIA Tegra 3 with 2GB of RAM. 

That's quite a dated video, but again underscores what I said about the device being misunderstood. I do agree that app support in Windows RT was lacking, but this was an OS new to the scene - the same argument could be made for Windows 10 S on the Surface GO when it was released last year. Keep in mind as well that all Surface devices came with native 4-way input, something that the iPad still does not have.

Performance is a very relative term - just because you throw a keyboard and mouse at it people will assume it can run like a laptop. You cannot please everybody. This could do stuff that was impossible to do with an iPad, and even six years later, the iPad is still playing catch up.

On 6/23/2019 at 4:11 PM, poochyena said:

hold up, mouse support is a new feature? Are you telling me that no other apple tablet or phone has mouse support? Not only that, but no way to transfer media from one device to the apple device?

wtf
literally how does anyone defend this type of stuff?

Mouse support is new to the Apple mobile ecosystem, yes.

Also, there are a lot of ways to transfer things between devices other than USB sticks on a dongle. The apple sanctioned ways are iTunes, Air Drop, and Bluetooth file transfer, but on a Windows or Linux PC you can simply plug in an i device and it will be mounted like a camcorder would be. You have full file access.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

17 hours ago, emosun said:

like... opening and manipulating a file

What kind of "file"?

I've had iPads since v1, and have always been able to open and manipulate whatever files I was wanting to open and manipulate.

5 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

What kind of "file"?

I've had iPads since v1, and have always been able to open and manipulate whatever files I was wanting to open and manipulate.

good for you

On 6/24/2019 at 9:35 AM, tridy said:

I believe that this is about sales of each device (not the experience and not anything else). The strategy is that if you are on Apple side, you will be very tempted into buying both iPad and iMac.

I have heard opinions that there is no touch screen because you want your iMac screen clean from fingerprints and look stylish, so that it does not distort the perfect colors.

I believe there are two main reasons why Apple doesn't have touchscreen Macs.

The first is what they've said multiple times in the past: that they don't think reaching up to your computer's display is a good ergonomic experience.  I'm not sure it's a huge issue, but I can see their point... reaching up to your screen whenever you want to scroll a page or zoom into a photo isn't so ideal.  There's a good reason the Surface Studio's display slides downward!

The other reason, I believe, is just that true touch optimization requires a lot of work and might not be practical.  Just ask Windows 10 users -- yeah, the superficial stuff works with touch, but it quickly falls apart the deeper you go.  And it's still wild  that Microsoft sells the Surface without a keyboard to everyday users when it's practically mandatory.  Apple's logic, I imagine, is that it's either not worth doing given these complexities or that it would require an extraordinary amount of time to do a decent job.

On 6/24/2019 at 6:31 AM, Video Beagle said:

Reading thru this thread, I do wonder....what do you use tablets for?  I mean, let's put the silly marketing of "replace your computer" aside....but I have a laptop, a desktop, and a tablet...and while the have some overlapping fucntionality, they're very different tools.  My iPad has a keyboard case for if I want to do serious typing on it, but mainly it's a media consumption device.  reading, videos, some light games....But I go to my laptop or desktop if I need to do serious typing or work.

So.... I have been waging a war in my mind about what electronics I want, need, think would make things easier, etc. I purchased the 2018 (or was it 17) regular iPad for drawing and note taking. I bought one of the original 9.7 pros for work for note taking. I enjoyed being able to write notes with the pencil, draw, and also reply to emails with attachments that needed to notes, information, or signatures with the pencil. I also like the thinness of the iPads, battery life, and for the most part lack of heat. I recently purchased the new iPad Pro 12.9 when it was on sale for an upgraded note taking and drawing experience. However, as soon as I did that I started trying to make it into a laptop replacement so I could justify the cost. The upcoming multitasking changes they are introducing with iPadOS seems that it will be even easier to use the iPad as a laptop replacement, though I’m still worried about no “regular” mouse support.

I also don’t want a windows laptop after how Microsoft handled the Windows 10 rollout. I just can’t bring myself to accept it. I have a Surface Pro 3 with their keyboard and I loved the feel of the experience, I just had issues with it being a tablet, but built like a laptop, and then failing at both. At the same time I also don’t like how hot the MacBooks (regular and pros) get with just regular usage. I also didn’t like how all “iPad” Bluetooth keyboards would lose signal after shutting off to save battery so I bought a magic keyboard 2 and just flipped the switch when I’m not using it (I also put the iPad into plane mode to save battery).

Now I’m just trying to find a way to combine the magic keyboard 2 with the iPad Pro 12.9 in some sort of laptop like hard case and I feel I will be set minus the lack of mouse/trackpad support. That last part still bothers me a bit. There are some sites that I use that have context menus on right click and the other idea that someone on this thread mentioned, about being able to use a mouse with a Citrix/Remote Desktop situation got me really excited at the possibilities.

TL:DR - If they would add some way for the right click on activate contextual menus/act like a regular right mouse click in browsers and apps (if appropriate) then I feel all I need to do is find a way to make/diy/find a hard case that combines the magic keyboard 2 with the iPad Pro and I would have a solution. If a trackpad can be used instead of a mouse that would be even better because then I can find a way to combine the magic keyboard 2 and Magic Trackpad. I could pull the iPad Pro out of the case when I just wanted a multimedia machine. Then again, I suppose I could also just hope that Apple comes out with a MacBook (reg or pro) that doesn’t get hot in your lap when doing typing and browsing and deal with the fact I spent so much money on a multimedia/drawing/note taking device lol.

17 hours ago, emosun said:

good for you

It's funny to be snide, but it sounds like the problem hasn't been what the iPad can or can't do, but you're inability to know how to use one.

6 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

It's funny to be snide, but it sounds like the problem hasn't been what the iPad can or can't do, but you're inability to know how to use one.

I would highly recommend that if you're butthurt about someone not liking apple products you tell someone who actually cares rather than me.

9 hours ago, emosun said:

I would highly recommend that if you're butthurt about someone not liking apple products you tell someone who actually cares rather than me.

Butthurt is not only a strong word given his response, but it is also an irrelevant adjective as far as my interpretation of his comment to you. I would further explain but something tells me you’ll simply respond back with another provocation that has nothing to do with the actual conversation so I’ll simply sign off with the hope you aren’t representative of this community.

4 hours ago, IAmDarthMole said:

o I’ll simply sign off with the hope you aren’t representative of this community.

Nah..it's generally a nice place :)

@RILEYISMYNAME BTW, not wanting to be a bunny or anything, do touch gestures work with an Apple Mouse? Just wondering this and might try myself if I have time later, maybe that would be the scrolling mechanism etc?