NOW is the iPad Pro a Computer?

39 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah but thats what apple wants.

if you hold a tiny bit of the overall market share and want to bash the 90% of people on earth who don't use an apple product , then you better be able to take it yourself.

Not many Apple users bash people for no reason. All of the Apple users I've seen online are far more civil than their counterparts. I believe the people you're talking about are the teenagers who blindly support Apple the same way they do Supreme or Thrasher.

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

hold up, mouse support is a new feature? Are you telling me that no other apple tablet or phone has mouse support? Not only that, but no way to transfer media from one device to the apple device?

wtf
literally how does anyone defend this type of stuff?

I do agree its a large weakness in productivity having to jump through hoops just to work on documents. I think they were trying to force people away from the 1980's approach of file management and transfer.

However, you can transfer files, just not in a direct physical way. Greater ease of use is preferable and it is disappointing that on a PRO-ish product you can't just do it like any other computer.

41 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Now the question is now. Does the Surface Pro, Ipad better than the Ipad?

(Yes im using ipad as a verb)

Id rather use the surface pro for most productivity given it is just a windows computer with a tablet form factor. I guess it also depends on your workflow. if you are just dealing with I cloud and email attachments then its not so much of a problem. 

Thinking about it, how often to people shuffle files around using usb stick now? 

9 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Are you telling me that no other apple tablet or phone has mouse support?

Yes.

Not only that, but no way to transfer media from one device to the apple device?

Unless that device had AirDrop, then yes. You wold have had to jump through cloud services or other methods to transfer media. 

10 minutes ago, poochyena said:

literally how does anyone defend this type of stuff?

Because those things don't really matter to 99% of users. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

45 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

the pens aren’t even comparable. The iPad thrashes the Surface in this part.

Yeah no. The pens are very comparable. Having run both for a good while now, I can firmly say that the difference largely boils down to whether you prefer a thicker stylus that feels like a pen or a thinner stylus that feels like a pencil, a physical eraser, and hardware buttons.

They're both past the point of diminished returns.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Because those things don't really matter to 99% of users.

There is no way i'm part of the 1%. I absolutely would never buy a tablet without mouse support. Its infinitely easier to use a computer with a mouse and keyboard compared to just a touch screen, and I transfer music to my phone from my pc through a cable often.
This is all incredibly basic stuff that has absolutely no excuse to not be implemented. It is nothing but incompetence to not implement features onto a computer that have been used for the past 40+ years. Its nothing but fanboyism to defend this.

only a handful of people will find an ipad useful. I rather have a laptop like a dell xps 13 or xps 15

and I transfer music to my phone from my pc through a cable often.

But iPads don’t need that. They have the iTunes Store. But if you do need that, iTunes exists to sync any type of media you want wirelessly or via a cable. 

10 minutes ago, poochyena said:

This is all incredibly basic stuff that has absolutely no excuse to not be implemented. It is nothing but incompetence to not implement features onto a computer that have been used for the past 40+ years.

The iPad had not positioned itself as a laptop competitor until the original iPad Pro. Until then these “Pro” features like desktop browsing by default, a downloads manager, and external storage support simply wasn’t necessary. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 minutes ago, poochyena said:

There is no way i'm part of the 1%. I absolutely would never buy a tablet without mouse support. Its infinitely easier to use a computer with a mouse and keyboard compared to just a touch screen, and I transfer music to my phone from my pc through a cable often.
This is all incredibly basic stuff that has absolutely no excuse to not be implemented. It is nothing but incompetence to not implement features onto a computer that have been used for the past 40+ years. Its nothing but fanboyism to defend this.

I don't know anyone who doesn't use Spotify/Apple Music/Google Play Music/Youtube/TIDAL. The iPad Pro isn't marketed as some computer to kill your desktop, it's a light machine for work that you would normally do on a Windows tablet.

5 minutes ago, thebrain said:

I rather have a laptop like a dell xps 13 or xps 15

Laptops certainly have their place. But it really depends on what you're doing. A college student who is only taking notes and writing for example, will be more than satisfied with an iPad Pro. 

An artist will also be extremely satisfied because the industry leading Apple Pencil and the new SideCar feature for macOS which turns the iPad into a superior Wacomm tablet. 

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

iTunes exists to sync any type of media you want wirelessly or via a cable. 

having to download some bloatware just to transfer music and video from my computer to phone sounds awful.

The iPad had not positioned itself as a laptop competitor

So what? My LG G6 isn't a laptop competitor but it has mouse and keyboard support, along with media transfer support.

wasn’t necessary.

The entire device itself isn't necessary. Whats the point of it if you can't use it as a laptop alternative?

11 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

The iPad Pro isn't marketed as some computer to kill your desktop, it's a light machine for work that you would normally do on a Windows tablet.

which is made more difficult without a mouse.

Just now, poochyena said:

having to download some bloatware just to transfer music and video from my computer to phone sounds awful.

The idea is for you to use Apple Music or buy albums/tracks from iTunes and manage your library on device. 

My LG G6 isn't a laptop competitor but it has mouse and keyboard support, along with media transfer support.

That's great. Glad you enjoy it. Also iPhones have always had external keyboard support. At least for as long as I can remember. 

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

The entire device itself isn't necessary. Whats the point of it if you can't use it as a laptop alternative?

It literally is a laptop alternative now. 

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

But iPads don’t need that. They have the iTunes Store. But if you do need that, iTunes exists to sync any type of media you want wirelessly or via a cable.

I really hope you are not using iTunes as something positive because it isn't. That shit needs to burn. Have had so many issues on PC with iPad or iPhone as well on a MBP with iPad or iPhone. In their freaking ecosystem. One of the worst apps I've ever used, year after year.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

So what? My LG G6 isn't a laptop competitor but it has mouse and keyboard support, along with media transfer support.

which is made more difficult without a mouse.

I don't know how iTunes is bloatware, by that definition Google Chrome would be bloat.

Try taking notes or using a good pen on an LG G6. That comparison makes no sense. My mom's car has heated and cooled seats and a power outlet while my desk setup only has power outlets, so that means I should do all of my work in my mom's car?

You can, it has a keyboard, mouse, it's extremely quick, very light.

Well now it has a mouse.

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

I really hope you are not using iTunes as something positive because it isn't. That shit needs to burn. Have had so many issues on PC with iPad or iPhone as well on a MBP with iPad or iPhone. In their freaking ecosystem. One of the worst apps I've ever used, year after year.

There is no Apple "ecosystem" in that way. I love my iPhone XR yet I never use iTunes.

Just now, Bouzoo said:

The Windows experience isn't great. But I've never had any issues with iTunes on macOS or Windows and it's an extremely powerful tool. 

It could be that you didn't have the program configured correctly for what you have tried to do in the past. 

5 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

There is no Apple "ecosystem" in that way.

If I use iTunes on MacOS with iPad while transferring files and the app is unstable with transfer or hardware detection then yes, there is an issue with their ecosystem. To the point I had to transfer files using (ironically) Windows for the trip last summer. Their app was not stable on their OS. Would not detect the iPad and would freeze mid transfer.

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

But I've never had any issues with iTunes on macOS

Glad to hear that. I've had enough issues to completely avoid it as much as I can.

2 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

There is no Apple "ecosystem" in that way. I love my iPhone XR yet I never use iTunes.

I've got a 9GB library. I store the tracks and albums in iCloud Drive and use my MacBook Pro to edit tracks (like adding album art, applying gain changes, or adding an EQ) and syncing any new "purchases" and playlists to my 8 Plus over my network. 

I also add "purchased" movies to my 8 Plus this was, but I use a wired connection for that. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

If I use iTunes on MacOS with iPad while transferring files and the app is unstable with transfer or hardware detection then yes, there is an issue with their ecosystem. To the point I had to transfer files using Windows for the trip last summer. Their app was not stable on their OS.

Glad to hear that. I've had enough issues to completely avoid it as much as I can.

What were you trying to do? What errors were you getting? These experience are typical of user error. 

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The idea is for you to use Apple Music or buy albums/tracks from iTunes and manage your library on device.

and I don't want to do that. Many songs I buy aren't on itunes.

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It literally is a laptop alternative now. 

It still doesn't have full mouse support..
and what about the ipads before this one?

9 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

by that definition Google Chrome would be bloat.

correct

10 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Try taking notes or using a good pen on an LG G6. That comparison makes no sense. My mom's car has heated and cooled seats and a power outlet while my desk setup only has power outlets, so that means I should do all of my work in my mom's car?

I really really don't understand what you are trying to say here. why would you do all your work in a car?

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What were you trying to do? What errors were you getting? These experience are typical of user error. 

My gfs MBP is really not used a lot considering our other devices, and I don't tinker with it that often, so it was not something we did as in changed settings. It's always up to date. Literally transferring 30 episodes of Gintama on iPad Air 2 for the trip. First (shocker) it would not detect the iPad but would detect iPhone 6S. After few restarts of both, it detected it, just to completely freeze while using VLC as app in the library to transfer the videos. Waiting for almost 30 min, nothing happened. Connected to my laptop with Win 10, everything worked perfectly. Same cable, same everything. Just 1 example that frustrated me the most.

And yes, I don't understand iTunes the best since it's not really (imo) designed in the best way and using VLC was my always go to way of transferring files. Worked flawlessly until that time. Jesus I wanted to burn it.

28 minutes ago, poochyena said:

and I don't want to do that. Many songs I buy aren't on itunes.

iTunes isn't a DRM platform for Music. It doesn't care where you get the music from. It will sync it to your iOS device. 

28 minutes ago, poochyena said:

It still doesn't have full mouse support..
and what about the ipads before this one?

Yes, it does not have full mouse support. Mouse support isn't a prerequisite for a device that replaces a laptop. iPadOS simply doesn't need it. It's a touch interface which is held back by a mouse. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

just to completely freeze while using VLC as app in the library to transfer the videos.

What? That's not a thing. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What? That's not a thing. 

Bad wording I suppose? This is what I'm talking about.

https://ioshacker.com/how-to/transfer-videos-vlc-ios-without-itunes

Open iTunes and connect your iOS device to your computer using the transfer cable. Now go to device’s summary page and then click on the ‘Apps’ tab. Now from the ‘File Sharing’ section click on VLC app and then click on ‘Add’ button. Select the file from the window and click on ‘Open’. That’s it.

After you add it would start transferring, but not in this case.

@RILEYISMYNAME @LinusTech No mention of the Sidecar feature where an iPad can double as an external display for a Mac and the iPad can be used as a drawing canvas for apps like Photoshop CC? Also, no mention that an iPad running iPad OS can now connect to a SMB file server? ?9F27AA5B-8352-4A76-BCC4-6A62E9D5B9C8.thumb.jpeg.a42db06a72a03fe0e6fd87819108a4f1.jpeg

Let’s not forget the fact that for some people, an iPad could provide a better experience than a PC with touchscreen. 

• iOS/iPad OS is a touch first OS, whereas Windows 10 is trying to be everything at once but sucks at it. 
  • An iPad will boot faster and it’s more responsive than most Windows PCs even ones with SATA SSDs because iOS has less background hogging tasks compared to Windows 10. 
  • I doubt that one can backup their Windows 10 PC to OneDrive but you can do a full backup of an iPad with iCloud. 
  • iWork is free, Office 365 requires a subscription 
Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside