NOW is the iPad Pro a Computer?

2 hours ago, nick name said:

@RILEYISMYNAME I guess that question makes sense coming from someone that doesn't know what a video game is.

Video game? Never heard of em

Wait origin still sponsored you guys even after showing how horribly overpriced their PCs are?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9 minutes ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

Video game? Never heard of em

Man, you're in for a treat once you finally discover them.  They are delightful.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

IRL I have a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy and have been quadriplegic since birth so any increase in input options are welcome even if I can’t use them directly, such as a mouse substitute for finger gestures. Currently I am typing this on iPad Pro with a mouth stick my family and I created (capacitance touch via the mouth is tricky) and the process is fatiguing to say the least. I am hoping someone here can help me learn if a head tracking mouse will work with the new IOS. Unfortunately, here in America adaptive equipment isn’t considered a medical necessity even though I can’t interact physically with the world and everything I research is incredibly expensive so experimenting is not an option financially. Here is a YouTube video of me so people don’t think I am trolling:

18 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

@RILEYISMYNAME @LinusTech No mention of the Sidecar feature where an iPad can double as an external display for a Mac and the iPad can be used as a drawing canvas for apps like Photoshop CC? Also, no mention that an iPad running iPad OS can now connect to a SMB file server? ?9F27AA5B-8352-4A76-BCC4-6A62E9D5B9C8.thumb.jpeg.a42db06a72a03fe0e6fd87819108a4f1.jpeg

Let’s not forget the fact that for some people, an iPad could provide a better experience than a PC with touchscreen. 

• iOS/iPad OS is a touch first OS, whereas Windows 10 is trying to be everything at once but sucks at it. 
  • An iPad will boot faster and it’s more responsive than most Windows PCs even ones with SATA SSDs because iOS has less background hogging tasks compared to Windows 10. 
  • I doubt that one can backup their Windows 10 PC to OneDrive but you can do a full backup of an iPad with iCloud. 
  • iWork is free, Office 365 requires a subscription 

Left out Sidecar because we were looking primarily at the iPad Pro as a singular device that could replace someone's laptop - and you could already use an iPad as an external display with some third-party apps. But I do think official support is cool. 

I DEFINITELY should have included the SMB file server support in there. Whoopsies! 

10 minutes ago, Gimpyg said:

IRL I have a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy and have been quadriplegic since birth so any increase in input options are welcome even if I can’t use them directly, such as a mouse substitute for finger gestures. Currently I am typing this on iPad Pro with a mouth stick my family and I created (capacitance touch via the mouth is tricky) and the process is fatiguing to say the least. I am hoping someone here can help me learn if a head tracking mouse will work with the new IOS. Unfortunately, here in America adaptive equipment isn’t considered a medical necessity even though I can’t interact physically with the world and everything I research is incredibly expensive so experimenting is not an option financially. Here is a YouTube video of me so people don’t think I am trolling:

Unfortunately we didn't test any accessibility options other than wireless mice, but as I said in the video, the "mouse support" on iPad is actually known as "AssistiveTouch", and is meant to be used with any number of Bluetooth/connected accessories. I'm not familiar with head-tracking technology but once iPadOS comes out for the public (it's just in developer beta right now) there might be more information about that! 

Also... the new iPads and iPhones already have head tracking built-in, so maybe that could be used with AssistiveTouch to control the mouse cursor eventually?

Did you see that Apple is adding full voice control in macOS Catalina and iOS 13? That could be another great option :) 

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean, I started to see the good after letting everything he said sink in. But the problem is the entire script building up to the last 5 minutes is massively negative when the verdict on what iPadOS has become is actually positive. 

I dont like it!

Sorry! haha. Two problems here:

- I like adding twists into my scripts. Making the video seem like it's one thing and then switching it halfway through, so it's a bit more like a story instead of an essay. But maybe that's misleading... whoopsies

- Linus was talking MUCH slower than normal in this video... right?? I told him halfway through to speed it up but I don't think he listened, haha. So we could have gotten to the point quicker. 

I never had or used a tablet, but i am stunned that having two windows at once is big news in 2019. I mean really? Is this the case for Android too?

4 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I never had or used a tablet, but i am stunned that having two windows at once is big news in 2019. I mean really? Is this the case for Android too?

This was available on Samsung phones for a few years now (not sure about the rest)

8 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Official support in Android only goes back a few years.

@lewdicrous is correct that Samsung had this feature for years, well before the rest of Android.

BTW, iOS supported multiwindow on iPad since iOS 11.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

Not many Apple users bash people for no reason. All of the Apple users I've seen online are far more civil than their counterparts. I believe the people you're talking about are the teenagers who blindly support Apple the same way they do Supreme or Thrasher.

no im talking about the company as a whole... whoosh

I just noticed that there was an LTT logo for some reason in the video title of the keynote, maybe instead of an apple one. Don't know if that's supposed to be there or not.

Screenshot (20).png

2 hours ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

Unfortunately we didn't test any accessibility options other than wireless mice, but as I said in the video, the "mouse support" on iPad is actually known as "AssistiveTouch", and is meant to be used with any number of Bluetooth/connected accessories. I'm not familiar with head-tracking technology but once iPadOS comes out for the public (it's just in developer beta right now) there might be more information about that! 

Also... the new iPads and iPhones already have head tracking built-in, so maybe that could be used with AssistiveTouch to control the mouse cursor eventually?

Did you see that Apple is adding full voice control in macOS Catalina and iOS 13? That could be another great option :) 

Holey smokes! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions. The Apple video you linked has some promising and exciting stuff, thanks for sending it my way. Here is a video I made showing how I play World of Warcraft with a headmouse that connects to pc via old school usb. 

https://youtu.be/0y-caVznAlw

if you think he would like it, could you show Linus? Thank you again for your time.

Hello big points to make 

1) Spaces is the name of the multitasking in MacOS, don’t call them Windows.

2) No mention of Dark Mode?

3) No mention of extending your MacOS screen into your iPad?

4) Touch screen support is fine in MacOS, they just don’t sell any laptops with them. 
5) No redesigned apps mention, new notes, photos, iMessage, App Store, etc. 

Not so bad, 5.7/10 C+. High expectations from your last video. Mediocre, but not unenjoyable. 

3 minutes ago, floofer said:

Hello big points to make 

1) Spaces is the name of the multitasking in MacOS, don’t call them Windows.

2) No mention of Dark Mode?

3) No mention of extending your MacOS screen into your iPad?

4) Touch screen support is fine in MacOS, they just don’t sell any laptops with them. 
5) No redesigned apps mention, new notes, photos, iMessage, App Store, etc. 

Not so bad, 5.7/10 C+. High expectations from your last video. Mediocre, but not unenjoyable. 

1) Makes no difference tbh

2) Not relevant to what the video is about

3) Not what the video was about

4) That's the point.. some people want touchscreen support on macbooks, the video asks if the iPad Pro is a viable option (with keyboard/mouse)

5) Again, not what the video was about

You guys never looked at the original Surface RT did you??? Of course not, because every tech media outlet at the time thought that product was a joke.

When the tech illiterate and armchair experts masquerade as well-paid knowledgeable tech media... now that's a joke!!! Fortunately there are still enthusiasts out there who can appreciate an unbiased review.

Kind of a sad irony that iPadOS in 2019 is copying what Microsoft still did better with Windows RT in 2013. Has it taken the industry THAT LONG to realize they were going in the wrong direction all along??? Wasn't Microsoft's argument for handicapping the UI in Windows 10 to create a single software platform that would span handhelds and desktops?

The truth is you NEED a dedicated tablet OS to get the most out of the form factor - that is partly what made the Surface RT such a killer device compared to the iPad. The other part is having carefully designed accessories that complement the device like Microsoft's Surface lineup of accessories. This is totally unlike Apple where pretty much every iPad accessory is an afterthought or an attempt to get around the shortcomings of a smartphone-based OS.

Indeed even to this day I think the Surface Pro 2 was Microsoft's best tablet - very portable, extremely capable and real enthusiasts do-it-all device. Much better than even the current Surface GO, which I also happen to own.

As for Riley, you sir are FIVE YEARS behind the curve ???

BTW: I don't mean to shamelessly drop links here to my work, but I do feel the early Surface products were very misunderstood and misrepresented to the consumer. You guys COULD HAVE done a better job covering them.

Can anyone who has installed iPadOS, and tried mouse support, confirm whether or not contextual menus are now supported by right-clicking with the mouse? I don’t mean the “right-click” option currently available that brings up iOS menu options, but if contextual menus are built into a website for added functionality. Thank you very much and I apologize if I’m putting this in the wrong area. 

Added: PS, great video @RILEYISMYNAME! You are one of my favorite hosts! Please, everyone at LTT, please keep up the great work!

Edited by IAmDarthMole

1 hour ago, Luscious said:

The truth is you NEED a dedicated tablet OS to get the most out of the form factor - that is partly what made the Surface RT such a killer device compared to the iPad.

• The first iPad (2010) came before the Surface RT (2012). 
  • The Surface RT as well as Windows RT flopped with one of the reasons to be its lackluster ecosystem compared to Apple's
  • Windows RT is not a touch first OS compared to iOS or even Android. 
  • Gestures in RT take so much taps like app switching. 
  • The Surface RT underperformed even after several software updates and crappy SoC which is the NVIDIA Tegra 3 with 2GB of RAM. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

1) Makes no difference tbh

Makes a huge difference in terms of what we can expect. But it also does make Linus seem a little uninformed.

2) Not relevant to what the video is about

3) Not what the video was about

It sure looks to me like a review of iPadOS to me.

4) That's the point.. some people want touchscreen support on macbooks, the video asks if the iPad Pro is a viable option (with keyboard/mouse)

As I said, touchscreen support is there on MacOS. The iPad Pro is never trying to be a viable option, but more of an alternative.

5) Again, not what the video was about

Sorry if a review of iPadOS changes make me think of a review of iPadOS changes, which are most prominent in those apps towards a more desktop-like environment, as stated in the video.

10 minutes ago, floofer said:

Makes a huge difference in terms of what we can expect. But it also does make Linus seem a little uninformed.

It sure looks to me like a review of iPadOS to me.

As I said, touchscreen support is there on MacOS. The iPad Pro is never trying to be a viable option, but more of an alternative.

Sorry if a review of iPadOS changes make me think of a review of iPadOS changes, which are most prominent in those apps towards a more desktop-like environment, as stated in the video.

I know I’m a newbie and all to this forum so I apologize if I’m breaking some unwritten code of conduct about chiming in on a discussion between two people with a lot more posts than I but.

1. He clarified the terminology was Spaces, however, he also provided a correlation for people to understand the situation better. Spaces, for the most part, act like Windows in every other OS desktop, is I believe the point he was getting across. 

2. I don’t see how an aesthetic option for the OS presentation has anything to do with it “Being a Computer Now.”

3. Same as with this one, the video wasn’t a review about iPadOS as an operating system, it was whether iPadOS now brought the iPad into the realm of a laptop or desktop replacement.

4. Not sure of the argument with this one so I’ll remain quiet.

5. Why would individual app redesign be mentioned in an analysis of OS functionality? The support by some apps of being able to open more than one instance of itself at a time was mentioned. The individual app redesigns, if they are now forked from the iOS versions, as a whole approach could be considered relevant but if you don’t use those apps, which the only two on your list that I use is iMessage and the App Store, which itself was recently redesigned if I remember correctly.

To me the video was about what changes iPadOS brings to the table in relation to the iPad being able to replace a laptop or desktop as a daily driver, not to highlight everything new with iPadOS. While the two topics are related they aren’t synonymous with each other.

Just my two cents.

7 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

An iPad will boot faster and it’s more responsive than most Windows PCs even ones with SATA SSDs because iOS has less background hogging tasks compared to Windows 10. 

I believe my 2012 HP Probook keeps up with the bootspeed of an iPad using an A400 120GB sata SSD........

Now im comparing to an older iPad because that is what ive got access to.

15 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

WAN show pls LTT? ,_, i kinda want to hear Linus and the art personnel's take on this, in terms of switching cost, starting-out cost, and workflow usability

EDIT: for context: this coming from a Wacom Cintiq user

It’s pretty much like the third party apps, but with Apple Pen support and addition of touch bar functions and a sidebar. So it’s like you can markup anything you want how you want, with Apple Pen as a pointing device.

[EDIT]
And it can be wired or wireless.

2 hours ago, IAmDarthMole said:

- snip -

Welcome to the forum, there is no rule about chiming in; if you have anything to add then feel free to do so.

I don't understand why is it so hard to make mouse work well with it. They could still keep the touch principle and just use left click as finger tap and right click as long finger press without the delay. Wheel should automatically apply to scroll selection lists and things like webpages or apps that have menus larger than screen that need to be scrolled to see it all. One would think huge company like Apple could easily do it. And it would work with same principles as finger/touch, but with faster and more precise use of mouse. And you could even use all the gestures with it apart from multi finger ones...