10 Tips for Beginners Assembling Their First PC

minervx

1) Watch a full length step by step build guide

A 20-25 minute Youtube video.  Watch it all at once.  The 5-10 min videos often skip steps.

The in-depth videos save time because if you miss a step you're unaware of it, it costs a lot of time.

2) Build in an intuitive order

RAM can go in the motherboard before its attached to the case.  Possibly, the CPU cooler as well.

However, the video card is best saved for later on so it doesn't take up hand room.

3) Do a test build on the table before building inside of the case

A beginner learning how to build and do cable management at the same time can be overwhelming.

If a mistake is made, it's easier to correct it on a table than have to go inside a case full of parts.

Also, it's easier to manage cables once you know where everything is supposed to go.

4) Have a good work environment

A big flat surface with enough free space (like a clear desk or a dining room table).

Have a way to sort different screws, whether it's little dishes/containers or baggies.  You don't want to get any screws lost or mixed up.

5) Know where the parts and connectors on the motherboards go

It may vary, but I've generally noticed:

* 8-pin connector is top left

* 24-pin connector is right

* RAM is top right next to the CPU slot

* Front panel connectors and SATA ports are bottom right

Establishing all this first will make cable management easier because you'll know which sides to put the cables on.

6) insert the 24-pin connector correctly

* Connect the 20pin +4 pin together before inseting

* Apply enough pressure for it to go in all the way.  If it's not in all the way, it might result in your video card not powering on.

7) Know the ordering front panel connectors go in advance

The little tiny wires. i.e. The power/reset/LED +/- pins. This is one of the most difficult parts for many beginners. 

It should say on the motherboard or on the manual booklet where they go.  Figure it out before you build to save trouble.

8 ) Fully open the case , removing all the detachable panels, before working on it

Also, make sure your OS boots properly and everything's fine before closing, so you don't have to re-open your case.

9) installing the cooler correctly

* Firstly, the little metal fan clips attach to the sides - not vertically - (they should look like ears).

* Many coolers require bolts in the back of the motherboard to hold into place

* Assuming the airflow is from the front to the back of the case, the fan on the cooler should face the same way as the fans on the case.

10) Make sure the fans are in the right direction

Use a sheet of paper to test which way the air is flowing, because it may be deceiving by just feeling it with hands.

Typically, the face (the more aesthetically pleasing part of the fan) faces the front and sucks the air and the backside (with the wires/labels/etc. blows it out)

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Make sure the thing is on before panicking

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What ummmm.... happened to #2?

1 minute ago, minervx said:

Image result for that's all folks

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Even when doing your 100th build - yes, you will forget to even plug it in and when you hit the power on button and panic lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

6 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

What ummmm.... happened to #2?

#2 Screw with confidence

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

#2 Screw with confidence

You're my best friend for the next 11 minutes.

4 minutes ago, minervx said:

A 20-25 minute Youtube video.  Watch it all at once.  The 5-10 min videos often skip steps.

The in-depth videos save time because if you miss a step you're unaware of it, it costs a lot of time.

Why do anything past this?

No step 2.

4 minutes ago, minervx said:

3) Do a test build on the table before building inside of the case

A beginner learning how to build and do cable management at the same time can be overwhelming.

If a mistake is made, it's easier to correct it on a table than have to go inside a case full of parts.

Also, it's easier to manage cables once you know where everything is supposed to go.

Don't see how building it on a table would apply to any way with how cables are routed through a case.

5 minutes ago, minervx said:

4) Have a good work environment

A big flat surface with enough free space (like a clear desk or a dining room table).

Have a way to sort different screws, whether it's little dishes/containers or baggies.  You don't want to get any screws lost or mixed up.

Thanks Verge.

5 minutes ago, minervx said:

5) Know where the parts and connectors on the motherboards go

It may vary, but I've generally noticed:

* 8-pin connector is top left

* 24-pin connector is right

* RAM is top right next to the CPU slot

* Front panel connectors and SATA ports are bottom right

Establishing all this first will make cable management easier because you'll know which sides to put the cables on.

The positions are not always standard. You can find boards with these in different places.

7 minutes ago, minervx said:

6) insert the 24-pin connector correctly

* Connect the 20pin +4 pin together before inseting

* Apply enough pressure for it to go in all the way.  If it's not in all the way, it might result in your video card not powering on.

24pin is motherboard power, not GPU power.

7 minutes ago, minervx said:

7) Know the ordering front panel connectors go in advance

The little tiny wires. i.e. The power/reset/LED +/- pins. This is one of the most difficult parts for many beginners. 

It should say on the motherboard or on the manual booklet where they go.  Figure it out before you build to save trouble.

Why do I need to know the order in advance? Why can't I look as I am doing it. Won't change how I cable manage at all.

8 minutes ago, minervx said:

8 ) Fully open the case , removing all the detachable panels, before working on it

Also, make sure your OS boots properly and everything's fine before closing, so you don't have to re-open your case.

Really? Thought I could put it together with the panels on. And honestly who cares if you have to spend 30s to undo the side panel screws?

9 minutes ago, minervx said:

9) installing the cooler correctly

* Firstly, the little metal fan clips attach to the sides - not vertically - (they should look like ears).

* Many coolers require bolts in the back of the motherboard to hold into place

* Assuming the airflow is from the front to the back of the case, the fan on the cooler should face the same way as the fans on the case

There are so many ways to install a cooler, not all are going to have clips and whatnot. Also depends on AMD or Intel and what socket.

10 minutes ago, minervx said:

10) Make sure the fans are in the right direction

Use a sheet of paper to test which way the air is flowing, because it may be deceiving by just feeling it with hands.

Typically, the face (the more aesthetically pleasing part of the fan) faces the front and sucks the air and the backside (with the wires/labels/etc. blows it out)

You'd have to be an idiot to be able not to tell.

All steps are meaningless after step 1. Tons of build PC guide video in YouTube are over 30 ~ 40 minutes time and even hours

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

I feel like, really only watching a full-length build guide is all a beginner needs to build a full PC, because a full tutorial will show all the connectors, where they go, what type of component is being installed at that moment.

I remember back when I knew nothing, all I did was watch a bunch of build guides from people such as Bitwit and Jay.

Any further information I got such as learning what type of cases there are, modular PSUs, RGB fans etc was superfluous to what it took for me to build my first PC.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

9 hours ago, givingtnt said:

-snip

1a. As long as it isn't The Verge's step by step PC building guide.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

-Moved to Guides and Tutorials-

For #2 I would almost always recommend cooler install before installing the motherboard into the case, especially if it's a non stock air tower. It's a lot easier to work with the brackets especially on some cheaper models where the bracket system isnt as beginner friendly. 

Spoiler

20180805_140841.thumb.jpg.ed3b2e1e9daedb7ca016df732631c6d4.jpgSnapchat-509350391.thumb.jpg.6bca6436ebaab963176648c77cfd2129.jpg20180325_194625.thumb.jpg.a99fc328596262d794e2e8585ddfedc2.jpg20180707_154014.thumb.jpg.2a53f09d7b3b4f94333987eba744b9ff.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Nobody ever mentions this: Don't close up your case until you're certain the computer will work. (or at least boot up into an OS)

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

For #2 I would almost always recommend cooler install before installing the motherboard into the case, especially if it's a non stock air tower. It's a lot easier to work with the brackets especially on some cheaper models where the bracket system isnt as beginner friendly.

If your case has a neat cutout in the back, I'd argue the order doesn't matter.

Though tower coolers do make for a nice way to pick up the motherboard ?

14 hours ago, seoz said:

I feel like, really only watching a full-length build guide is all a beginner needs to build a full PC, because a full tutorial will show all the connectors, where they go, what type of component is being installed at that moment.

I remember back when I knew nothing, all I did was watch a bunch of build guides from people such as Bitwit and Jay.

Any further information I got such as learning what type of cases there are, modular PSUs, RGB fans etc was superfluous to what it took for me to build my first PC.

Yeah, the problem with only watching the 5-10 minute videos is that beginners get bits and pieces of the puzzle but not the big picture and what order they need to do it in.  

You're right that there's so much information out there that beginners can get lost in topics that may not really be relevant to their use case.  This is because beginners don't know where to start inquiring first - it's an unknown unknown; you dont know what you dont know.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

22 hours ago, SeraphicWings said:

All steps are meaningless after step 1. Tons of build PC guide video in YouTube are over 30 ~ 40 minutes time and even hours

I think the work environment tip is really important.  Having free space and keeping the screws organized.  

The building on the bench before case is also something I wish I would've done.  Someone who is watching an in-depth video step by step may not absolutely need to do it, but if the person assembling their first PC does happen to miss a tiny step somewhere or do cable management incorrectly, it can cost time.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to say this would be for beginners, but truthfully, I think it applies equally to intermediate and experienced guys. The thing is, make sure you REFER TO THE MANUALS, and at least make sure you look at it first if you can't figure something out. And by Manuals I mostly mean the Motherboard Manual, and in particular, the first half that talks about things like features, installation precautions, hardware installation. It'll cover 80% of what you need and some best practices. It's very technical and dry in parts, and very, very intimidating, but it has many simplified drawings, diagrams and names for the components of the board you're working on. At the very least, look at the pictures and try to match it up with your board. It's no good when asking for help by googling or asking people, "that plug with 2 pins won't fit when I try to plug it into the white hole." But you'll get a far faster and better answer if you ask "That plug with 2 pins from the computer case won't fit into this SYS_FAN  hole" since you looked at the diagram in the manual and know how to call it, even if you have no idea what it does.

manual5.png.e8228ab0759e757c5df961025c944e0e.pngThe Manual usually have diagrams or pictures on how to install parts such as the CPUs, CPU fans, RAM, and expansion cards. It'll show you where all the pins are on your board, which one is +, which one is -. Definitely check out how other people do things online, though unless the Youtuber you are watching has the exact same board, he or she will not be able to offer you the same amount of information.

Another reason to at the very least glance through the manual is maybe there's a last minute firmware change that you need to download to enable fatures, like that RAID setup you planned, or perhaps the manufacturer added support for PCIe4 before the standard was finalized and you need to flash the UEFI to make it work with the final standard. Often these last minute changes are included in the manual since it's far easier to change a few pages in a booklet to say "BTW..." then admitting that the company screwed up and didn't finish a feature on time publicly. And it's sure easier to figure that out ahead of time when you're planning then when you're halfway through a build and realize that your planned build will not work. Chances are, 90% of your problems can be solved faster if you just look it up in the manual. A statement such as  "(Note) The M2B_SOCKET connector supports only PCIe SSDs" will probably give you a clue to not use that connector as a first choice to try installing things on, even if you don't understand exactly what it means.

manual1.png.f1f48add543112bb63c7ab0b9c7f31ff.pngNow there are certainly very well written manuals and very poorly written ones, although their quality have improved a lot in general. I'll admit freely that when I first started, I looked through a Motherboard Manual and it might as well be written in Martian, especially the part about configuring things in the BIOS/UEFI. It is very hard to understand at first, and probably not necessary for most people. But time after time, I have found that very often, the answer to questions that I may have spent countless hours googling or going through chatrooms and forums, is very often, right in that manual that came with the motherboard, and everytime I take a crack at that, I learn something. Hmm...perhaps for all the questions on the forum posts on builds, there should be a checkbox asking "Have you checked the manual" before the post can be created. :P

Manual4.jpg.75cd805adba1eedded534afb05008d02.jpg

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

• 2 weeks later...

If you decide to use a thermal pad:

1. Make damn sure it is the same size as your CPU. Too small and you'll fry the CPU.

2. They're VERY slippery. Get a teeny-tiny mirror on a pole or something so you can check to confirm that the pad hasn't slipped out of position from placing the fan.

3. Carbon pads are electrically conductive. Do not mess with them near your motherboard unless the power is turned off and capacitors discharged (as best you can).

Friends: If you went to Bateman School in 1963-64 and recognize me, please let me know.

Gratuitous Comment: EVERY case should come with USB-C ports. It's time and past time. WELL past time.

"Then name the system!": CPU-Z validated at https://valid.x86.fr/rkq3mc