Unity Engine is coming to Linux?

Nettly_

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/05/30/announcing-the-unity-editor-for-linux/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=engine_global_generalpromo_2019-05-30_linux&utm_content=blog - This is the blog post that I saw today that said the Unity editor is coming to Linux, and you probably should care. This is proving something Anthony said, "Linux is the future of gaming" and Unity making this move just proves that. This is a good move by Unity to help grow the Linux community by being one of the first big boys to come and start helping out Linux developers by adding more professional resources. This also means that more games will be available for Linux that were built on Unity which is good news for the open source community. I just wonder however why not, what is the Unity3d company losing with this move? Whatever it is it must be worth it.

It already had beta for linux for many years now, so iguess now its getting fully stable.....BUT stable for what distro?  linux is a failure because of fragmentation and ultra bad drivers and poor desktop support and experience.

13 minutes ago, yian88 said:

It already had beta for linux for many years now, so iguess now its getting fully stable.....BUT stable for what distro?  linux is a failure because of fragmentation and ultra bad drivers and poor desktop support and experience.

Well that's a very broad statement. I fully agree that fragmentation does not help the Linux community and there are issues with drivers sometimes, but for many tasks I would take Linux over windows any day of the week. Operating systems are tools and just like any tool, pick the best one for the job. Personally I have found Linux to be much more stable than Windows

You have been able to compile for Linux since before I used it in 4.5 or something but I guess this is bringing the studio part over then?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

24 minutes ago, tinverse said:

Well that's a very broad statement. I fully agree that fragmentation does not help the Linux community and there are issues with drivers sometimes, but for many tasks I would take Linux over windows any day of the week. Operating systems are tools and just like any tool, pick the best one for the job. Personally I have found Linux to be much more stable than Windows

Yeah, for a user who just wants to install programs and play alot of online multiplayer games without much fussing around after a long day of helpdesking, programming, etc... It sucks so hard compared to Windows. I've tried it multiple times throughout the years including just last month. Maybe one of these years it will be on par for me with Windows and then I will switch cause I love the idea of supporting linux and what it stands for. 

31 minutes ago, tinverse said:

it was designed with stability in mind. rather than "objects" being placed on top of one another like it often is for windows, everything is more "seperated". so one thing that crashes doesn't bring other things with it.

It's great.. just as with open source stuff... development is slow. getting better though.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, SafyreLyons-5LT said:

I just wonder however why not, what is the Unity3d company losing with this move? Whatever it is it must be worth it.

they aren't really losing anything, in fact they are gaining more of a userbase at the cost of more development and debugging time.

if a game was compatible on linux, windows, xbox one, PlayStation 4, Nintendo switch, IPhones and most android phones. thats a huge userbase.

while the linux userbase is small, their resources they have makes up for that as unity can ask them for help in working with native Linux library's and can even help imporve those librarys by recommending changes they could do to improve it. (it's not uncommon for the linux dev userbase to help themselves in this way)

and since android is based on linux, android performance may actually improve a bit.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

18 hours ago, yian88 said:

Linux is just bad as a general-purpose OS, that's not Linux's fault, that's the herding cat's mentality of the GPL religion that some open source advocates adhere to. If you don't like the direction an OS is heading, fork it and go your own way, thus we end up with 96 flavors of the same kernel in different os distributions under different names that nobody can honestly tell the difference between. Google experienced this first hand with Android. All the hardware devs decided to built their own theme management software to make their devices look more unique and the end result was that Android users are utterly confused all the time, and software doesn't work on half the devices. Even your average techie person hates vender-customized Android.

There's nothing wrong with trying to use Linux for gaming, but most hardware vendors don't treat it as a Tier 1 platform. The common refrain from software developers is Android weakens the mobile platform as a whole. So if you're making a game, just ignore Android, as there's no money to be made from Android. There is even less money to be made on Linux games.

Unity is not open source, so there will be howling about that and shunning of it by some Linux-kernel based OS's. In all likeliness, you will only see Unity supported on Linux platforms that Steam supports.

21 hours ago, yian88 said:

Seems like you were rejected by the Linux Master race. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

20 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

it was designed with stability in mind. rather than "objects" being placed on top of one another like it often is for windows, everything is more "seperated". so one thing that crashes doesn't bring other things with it.

It's great.. just as with open source stuff... development is slow. getting better though.

One issue with Linux is that while os may be stable, a lot of the applications that run on it are a buggy mess. Just go to the software center, see how many applications have versions 0.xx something? In software versioning, anything less than a whole number 1.0 is a beta and you can obviously tell. I have lots of desktop applet and extensions outright crashing or not working properly on linux. If these are ship with the Linux distro, you may think it is an internal part of the Linux operating systems and thinks Linux is just a buggy mess. 

Case point, cinnamon desktop on Linux mint, that thing used to be a buggy mess. So many crashes and software/hardware power buttons never worked properly on it. I had to use the terminal Everytime for it to shut off properly else the system will just hang for like an hour before finally powering off. My current habit of using the terminal to power off in any distos instead of click click grew out of it. 

Sudo make me a sandwich