iPhone vs Android – The FIVE Year Test

jakkuh_t
2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Basically my parents should only use an iPhone to guarantee that their phones will still receive the latest patches for the next five years. 

there are OTA updates with custom roms

4 minutes ago, IgorM said:

It isn't as complicated as it looks I promisse!

No, its not terribly complex. But its more complex than not having to do anything which is a barrier for a lot of "normal" people. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

But its more complex than not having to do anything which is a barrier for a lot of "normal" people. 

Sure. I also think the way LTT shows it can be intimidating, but at the same time the point of the video isn't to be a full tutorial and it shoudn't be. Sites like XDA, recommended by Linus (an important part of the video), are a much better place for it.

I feel as if this video was highly flawed, or at the least, incorrectly-titled.

If this was truly a five year phone difference, why would you not leave the G3 on whatever Android version - I've been informed it was left on Android 6 apparently - rather than go through the trouble of putting a custom ROM on it, compared to the iPhone 6 which ran the latest iOS?

A more accurate video title would have been LineageOS on LG G3 vs iPhone 6 rather than what you currently have, because from my perspective, that's not a true comparison of the five year difference since you've placed a custom ROM on the LG G3.

iPhone 6 on iOS 12.2 vs LG G3 on Android 6(?) would've been a more accurate representation of how far technology has come and more importantly how much software has developed over the years.

Also, don't try to blame the brightness of the LG G3 on LineageOS, no excuses when you're giving the LG G3 a leg up by giving it a custom ROM already, come on.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

Maybe security reasons.

And still he likes using fingerprint readers? Fingerprint readers are so easy to fool and most companies in EU are not allowing their employees use fingerprint to unlock work phones. 

Also Linus says that G3 don't have wireless, that is not correct.  LG G3 have Qi charging.

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Basically my parents should only use an iPhone to guarantee that their phones will still receive the latest patches for the next five years. 

OS security updates on Android (or iOS for that matter) are much less necessary than on other systems, if you stick to common play store apps and keep your browser updated you'll most likely be fine for a long time. You'll just be missing out on the newer os features but your parents probably don't care.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Now, using the old android phone without updating it? Sure, it's still usable. But it's definitely a downside without the updates.

Usually I think of it this way - I could buy an iPhone and hope that it doesn't have a major design flaw and actually lasts me 5-6 years, or buy two android phones for half the price or less every 3 years or so.

Though, to be honest, my 3 year old oneplus x is still just fine for me even though it's only on Android 6.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Android One user here, I have no issues.

That and most people won't care, most people will buy a new phone. Most people nowadays won't even hand the old ones down to their kids, they'll buy new (social status ftw, aka your kids will look poor can't have that now can you? Esp when little Johnny's parent's only make minimum wage and still gave him a brand new iPhone x). Tho if you want cheap easy and no hassle updates Nokia 1 is the place to be crappier phone but you should get monthly updates w/o any of this hassle.

The G7 One is a decent phone sadly not OLED but still a decent phone for the price. If you ask me no one should accept anything less than monthly updates or at least every other month.

My One phone is on April, my Stylo 3+ is on March, realistically you need to be smart about buying a phone for security reasons regardless of which platform (that said you must be a idiot if you want to buy a 5 year old phone for anything but a emergency backup) and be willing to let it go once it gets dropped.

3 hours ago, seoz said:

why don't companies like Samsung and LG who are arguably even more hardware-first take more time into supporting their customers with software updates that don't take a year to arrive...

Because Android OEMs don't need to play catch up, and they know that consumers either will ditch phones before it matters or don't care about having all the latest things (and don't do anything demanding with their phones).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

OS security updates on Android (or iOS for that matter) are much less necessary than on other systems, if you stick to common play store apps and keep your browser updated you'll most likely be fine for a long time. You'll just be missing out on the newer os features but your parents probably don't care.

iOS is still the easier to use than Android. It took them less than a day to figure out how to use an iPhone and they like it. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Just a shame you have to go through all that work just to make it a good option. 

I would say it's worth it if you save a couple of bucks.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

@jakkuh_t When researching this device did you happen to come across the "Spontaneous" death issue that forced this device and many other by LG at the time to run from their devices?

See the Nexus 5, LG G3, and many more are affected by this issue, and quite frankly makes me feel like that is worth mentioning.

G3 is actually one of the best phone of all time.and also got to mention the s3.

they have every core features that could make it out date.

only bad thing is that not every g3 is rootable...

It's not a fair test because it by itself points out the monumental issue with Android. Unless you hack it to bits and update it yourself, it's a useless outdated brick. It doesn't matter how good the hardware still is, it's useless without software updates. And 2 years go by so fast it's ridiculous. People say iPhones are expensive. And I thought the same for some time. Until I got one because of this very reason because I was fed up with Androids dumb fragmentation and lack of software support. Sure iPhone X/XS/XS Max are stupid expensive, but XR for example, it costs the same as other normal flagships. And it'll have a guaranteed software support without any need to fiddle with stupid flashing and rooting and shit. But it doesn't have 80K screen. Oooooh shut up already. I had 1080p phone and there is no difference in image quality what so ever on such tiny screens. You have to compare it side by side and hunt details to say "ha, there is the difference!".

Android seriously needs to solve stupid version fragmentation and they'll NEVER achieve that with such garbage support. 2 years if you're lucky on a super expensive over the top flagship. Buy one tier lower device and it's possible you'll not get any long term updates at all. Android One is a step in right direction, but then it's a Googlefest and god they suck at privacy... So, we're back to iOS again, despite some of its really dumb things...

Hey there!

Thank you so much for bringing more attention to LG G3. I've been developing for more than a year now and it made me really happy seeing my device on Linus Media Group! We also have Android Pie available to install which is almost bugless, but there are still some issues related to graphics renderer and stuff.

You might also want to try some others ROMs which add more features if you're into that sort of thing - all with HardStyl3r quality. Check the XDA forums!

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/development

Also, it's worth mentioning we have managed to enable Treble on our device, you can check that out too! (as far as I know, it's available for d852 and f400)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/development/guide-create-vendor-partition-lg-f400-t3903385

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/development/rom-treble-basic-rom-based-lineageos-15-t3906025

Greetings, and happy flashing!

If we're doing custom ROMs, you could use a custom iOS and use a 10 year challenge lol. iPhone 3G's are perfectly useable and close to up to date. 

[EDIT]

Yes, you can also downgrade an iPhone. Fairly easily. 

5 minutes ago, floofer said:

If we're doing custom ROMs, you could use a custom iOS and use a 10 year challenge lol. iPhone 3G's are perfectly useable and close to up to date. 

never heard of custom roms on apple ever since launch and it will never be open source. thats already a big lose vs android.

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Because Android OEMs don't need to play catch up, and they know that consumers either will ditch phones before it matters or don't care about having all the latest things (and don't do anything demanding with their phones).

It was a five year phone comparison, they should have used the LG G3 as is, regardless of what consumers do with their Android device.

6 minutes ago, floofer said:

Yeah, it's usable as a normal phone with outdated web browser and some other old apps. But it's nowhere near up to date.

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

never heard of custom roms on apple ever since launch and it will never be open source. thats already a big lose vs android.

There is Whited00r for iPhone 2G, 3G, iPod touch 1G and 2G. But it's pretty slow and unstable.

It also had an app store which was called AppTimeMachine, it had old versions of apps that were compatible with the old iOS but it doesn't exist anymore.

http://www.whited00r.com/about?lang=en

Intel Core i9-10900X, Asus TUF X299 Mark 1, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2TB SN570, 8TB HDD, DC Assassin III, Meshify 2

Old PC: Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 500GB, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 2x 4TB & 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.3-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C602/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 1TB Crucial MX500

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1648MHz, Asus RX 470 Strix, 1TB & 250GB Crucial MX500 and 3x 500GB HDD

Laptop: ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 730M (GPU: 1006MHz MEM: 1151MHz), 2TB SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Laptop 2: ThinkPad T450, Intel Core i7-5600U 2c/4t @ 2.6-3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Intel HD 5500, 250GB SSD, 14" 900p TN, 24Wh + 72Wh batteries

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 3.07-3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB & 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Laptop: Latitude 3380, Intel Pentium Gold 4415U 2c/4t @ 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR4, Intel HD 610, 120GB SSD, 13.3" 768p TN, 56Wh battery

2 minutes ago, seoz said:

It was a five year phone comparison, they should have used the LG G3 as is, regardless of what consumers do with their Android device.

iPhone 6 received an update to iOS 12, so I see no problem in running a custom OS on G3 which is now even easier to do.

Just now, hardStyl3r said:

iPhone 6 received an update to iOS 12, so I see no problem in running a custom OS on G3 which is now even easier to do.

For the sake of a level playing field.

G3 on its original Android ROM, and the iPhone 6 getting iOS 12 as it's still supported.

Can't get more fair for a five year phone comparison than that, as then it will show what has happened for both hardware and software.

2 minutes ago, Pasi123 said:

Yeah, it's usable as a normal phone with outdated web browser and some other old apps. But it's nowhere near up to date.

There is Whited00r for iPhone 2G, 3G, iPod touch 1G and 2G. But it's pretty slow and unstable.

It also had an app store which was called AppTimeMachine, it had old versions of apps that were compatible with the old iOS but it doesn't exist anymore.

http://www.whited00r.com/about?lang=en

Just use Archtype with updated packages, Its not hard. 

Hey guys, Linus made mistake in video, how to get in touch with him? LG G3 had a wireless charging, D855 version, not D852, also some forum threads says about default QuickCircle case that gives wireless charging. I have LG G3 D855 and using it daily, but i never tested wireless charging because i dont have one =\

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's not a fair test because it by itself points out the monumental issue with Android. Unless you hack it to bits and update it yourself, it's a useless outdated brick. It doesn't matter how good the hardware still is, it's useless without software updates. And 2 years go by so fast it's ridiculous. People say iPhones are expensive. And I thought the same for some time. Until I got one because of this very reason because I was fed up with Androids dumb fragmentation and lack of software support. Sure iPhone X/XS/XS Max are stupid expensive, but XR for example, it costs the same as other normal flagships. And it'll have a guaranteed software support without any need to fiddle with stupid flashing and rooting and shit. But it doesn't have 80K screen. Oooooh shut up already. I had 1080p phone and there is no difference in image quality what so ever on such tiny screens. You have to compare it side by side and hunt details to say "ha, there is the difference!".

Android seriously needs to solve stupid version fragmentation and they'll NEVER achieve that with such garbage support. 2 years if you're lucky on a super expensive over the top flagship. Buy one tier lower device and it's possible you'll not get any long term updates at all. Android One is a step in right direction, but then it's a Googlefest and god they suck at privacy... So, we're back to iOS again, despite some of its really dumb things...

I could get an iPhone and hope it doesn't break after a year or so because of a hardware flaw which Apple likes to blame on its users. I would rather get an Android phone that costs half of what an XR does, have a 1080P screen, and nice things like a headphone jack or a microSD slot. The XR is stupid expensive compared to other phones in that same price range, saying there is "no difference" in image quality just isn't true. The OS updates aren't that necessary for average users, most users are going to buy the newest phone regardless of platform anyway, and not having the latest version doesn't make the device "useless" as most apps will still work.

14 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you don't have to, no one uses a phone for 5 years. Galaxy S3 I747M that i bought on launch day 2012 is on March 2019 patch. Rooting, Roms are not for everyone, still its really impressive to see, a 7 year old device is ancient in tech term. FYI apple dropped support for 2011 MacBook pros in Mojave. 

Only because of the fact that manufactures don't support those phones anymore. If they did, I think that a lot of people would just keep their phone for much longer than usual. Sure a ROM would help you to keep your phone for a bit longer, but it's a bit of a pain to install and in some cases you could have ROMS that are unreliable.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

12 hours ago, seoz said:

If this was truly a five year phone difference, why would you not leave the G3 on whatever Android version - I've been informed it was left on Android 6 apparently - rather than go through the trouble of putting a custom ROM on it, compared to the iPhone 6 which ran the latest iOS?

You need to watch again literally the 1st minute. He says iPhone is still supported, Android is not, and that they are trying to make Android able to compete with iOS by using third party tools. You should be able to get from that which one is the clean winner unless you do some work yourself. There is nothing to compare there. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.