Fair IT Intern Hourly Rate

Votivee

Going in for an interview for an I.T. internship tomorrow, and it will be my first "real" internship/job experience since graduating college. Because of this, I'm not really sure what I should be expecting pay wise. I was hoping someone could tell me what a fair hourly rate would be if they were to ask me what I was hoping to make.

A few points that might help:

• Internship will be in New York State (Not near the city).
  • Current Minimum wage here is $11.10/hr.
  • I have my A.A.S. in Computer Information Technology and am currently one year away from my B.S. in Cyber security.
  • I do have previous I.T. work experience, however it was back in high school and I was making a little over minimum wage and it was only for a short period of time.
  • Internship will be 4 months long.
  • It is a well-established multi-million dollar company.
  • They reached out to me.

Personally, I was thinking something in the neighborhood of $14-$15/hr but I honestly am not sure what I'm basing that off of other than other jobs that were not I.T. related what so ever.

Any input on this is appreciated.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Internships are typically volunteer placements. Many posts don't pay a salary, although some do. Unpaid internships in the private sector must meet regulations under the Fair Labor Standards Act. 

Source:

https://work.chron.com/difference-between-internship-apprenticeship-29606.html

CPU
Intel® Core i9 9900K 8 Core 16 Threads
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
Graphics Card
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

1st Drive

500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME 

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
4th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM

5th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i Pr 360mm AIO

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

Age matters man, all them companies are so agist.
All i know if you're like in your early twenties, its not a bad income. But any above that and it will not be enough soon.

But since its an internship...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

13 minutes ago, Findiculous said:

Internships are typically volunteer placements. Many posts don't pay a salary, although some do. Unpaid internships in the private sector must meet regulations under the Fair Labor Standards Act. 

Source:

I do know for a fact that it is paid, however the hourly rate is TBD and I have some suspicion that they're going to ask me my opinion on what I think I should be making.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

14-15$ an hour I think is fair entry level helpdesk in the area you are talking about, but IDK what their policy on internships is. I think with an interview you have to gauge what they intend for you to do and why, and finding out what their full time employees are paid helps as well. Some companies use internships to get free labor, others use it to groom potential employees before they are out of collage. Hiring a real employee with benefits is expensive, and with an internship they get to test drive someone while paying less. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Depends . do you have any certs? 

I should add if you have certs then the pay of a first year employee starting off into the tech world would likely be anywhere  from 15-20$/h id say 18 isn't a bad place to start as a intern. 

if you have no certs or anything yet then.. less. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

3 minutes ago, solarflare said:

Can i point you to the first post?
Or are certs not certifications? And are they not already mentioned in the first post?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Or are certs not certifications? And are they not already mentioned in the first post?

OP only listed a degree, no mention of any certifications

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I am nearing the end of my internship (Started back in June of last year). I intern for the county courts system. Is this internship contracted, or are you getting paid directly through them? My contractor had started me out at $14.25 /hr as a junior, but I was bumped to $16.50 when I hit my senior year. Minimum wage where I'm located is at around $9.  I think that your rate should reflect on any experience/schooling you have completed, but that is just my opinion...

Processor: Intel i7 11700k MemoryCorsair Vengeance 4x4GB 3200MHZ Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Elite Graphics card: Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080ti Xtreme Edition Storage: x2 120gb SSD, 1tb Samsung Evo, 2TB HDD Case: Corsair 400C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Display's: AOC AG493UCX 49"  Ultra Wide 5120x1440 at 120hz, IPad Mini with Duet Display.

44 minutes ago, solarflare said:

40 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

39 minutes ago, Lurick said:

OP only listed a degree, no mention of any certifications

No I do not have any certifications outside of my college education.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

32 minutes ago, LewisPark said:

Is this internship contracted, or are you getting paid directly through them?

I will be getting paid directly through the company.

33 minutes ago, LewisPark said:

My contractor had started me out at $14.25 /hr as a junior, but I was bumped to $16.50 when I hit my senior year. Minimum wage where I'm located is at around $9.  I think that your rate should reflect on any experience/schooling you have completed, but that is just my opinion...

Totally agree with you that my rate should depend on experience/schooling, which is why I made this thread. I'm not sure where I stand pay-wise with a completed degree and a year away from my second one. Thanks for sharing your pay rates, I'll probably stick with my original guess of $14/$15 after looking at your numbers.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

22 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Figure out what their entry level pay is and skirt below that since I feel asking for entry-level pay for an internship level position is disrespectful.

There's also the question if interns are typically in a position to negotiate their pay.

Agreed. I wanted to be prepared in case the question arose, and I didn't want to be asking too much if they did ask me what I am looking for and hurt my chances. I'm not looking to negotiate and get higher pay but more so just wanted to know where I stood with the current industry and my skill set/education.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

5 hours ago, Findiculous said:

Source:

Most engineering internships are paid. Even so, expect minimum wage unless you intern at big companies like Google. One of my coworker interned at Google. It was the year 2009 and his paid rate was $17 USD per hour. 

Internships in the fields of humanity on the otherhand are simply volunteer work. Most people who major in sociology or any other social science tend to intern in women's shelter or whatnots which is more or less volunteer workers. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Take whatever and get good then ask for more.

As Malcome Gladwell said “first to 10k hours wins”.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

2 minutes ago, LewisPark said:

I am nearing the end of my internship. I intern for the county courts system. Is this internship contracted, or are you getting paid directly through them? My contractor had started me out at $14.25 /hr as a junior, but I was bumped to $16.50 when I hit my senior year. Minimum wage where I'm located is at around $9.  I think that your rate should reflect on any experience/schooling you have completed, but that is just my opinion...

I did an internship that sounds similar to this several years ago. I think if you account for cost of living in NY and just inflation in general a more fair rate these days would be closer to at least $18

I started mine at $14.25/hr in Colorado in 2015.

I actually do work for a college as a help desk tech, and I make right at 31K a year. (salary non exempt so I can still get over time. Yea I could make more in the private sector, but I work 8-5 m-f and get bassically every holiday, spring break and christmas off. but thats neither here nor there) So I think 13-14 an hour would be fine, if they offer you a full time job. But if its just a 4 month intern ship they will probably not want to give much more than min because there are plenty of other people that will take it to get their foot in the door. Thats what internships are, more or less. a way to get in. Good luck to you.

2 hours ago, comander said:

For anything technical, this is low for a company like Google. I could see this happening for people in HR or Marketing. For SWE, it's closer to double this. I am aware that some tech support type roles are hired at L2 instead L3 (the minimum for SWE, which itself is around 30% higher at the same ladder level vs most other roles). If it's for a role that leads to an L2 offer at the Mountain View office I'd expect 20-30ish an hour for an internship. Similar for Amazon/Seattle or Facebook in Palo Alto. Can't speak to Microsoft (probably a bit lower) or Apple. G + A + F pay crazy amounts in general. 

Well, he was a psychology major and his job consists of typing stuffs into spreadsheet so idk. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

The better question is why do you even apply for internships? You got your degree so get a job.

6 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

The better question is why do you even apply for internships? You got your degree so get a job.

Because he still doesn't have his B.S.

It's also often easier to get a good job through an internship than going straight into the job itself.

I've had an internship in IT at a small company in NYC in 2016 and it paid $16/hour. Fair will depend a lot on the size of the company as well. If it's a decent size, I'd check Glassdoor to see if there are any numbers there.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Because he still doesn't have his B.S.

It's also often easier to get a good job through an internship than going straight into the job itself.

I've had an internship in IT at a small company in NYC in 2016 and it paid $16/hour. Fair will depend a lot on the size of the company as well. If it's a decent size, I'd check Glassdoor to see if there are any numbers there.

"it will be my first "real" internship/job experience since graduating college. "

This means he does have a degree in something. He should be searching for full time job. I mean internship is fine if it is full time work that gives you some steady income for the time being, but that is temporary, unless there is potential for permanent hire at the end if it.  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

"it will be my first "real" internship/job experience since graduating college. "

This means he does have a degree in something. He should be searching for full time job. I mean internship is fine if it is full time work that gives you some steady income for the time being, but that is temporary, unless there is potential for permanent hire at the end if it.  

He has an associates but is still working towards a bachelors. It's not uncommon at all to get an internship in that scenario.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, wasab said:

@79wjd is right. I'm not looking to get a full time job until I'm done with school. Right now I'm just trying to fill out my resume and get on-the-job experience.

I wouldn't be able to juggle full-time school along with a full-time job (8-5 Mon-Fri)  without switching to night classes which usually are just basic classes. My school does not offer the classes I need for my major online or at night.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

3 hours ago, wasab said:

Good God I wished my field worked like that. People with BS and MS are still taking internships, unpaid, because the corporate world can get away with it.

It's a going joke that you work part time when you're not working 80 hours unpaid just to crash on someone's couch with your phone next to your ear for the call to come into work.

Paid trainee is €1200-2000/mo here. Depending on experience and education. You can get more, up to €2500/mo if you have talents company is looking for, and possibly willing to commit later to that company. So that's €7.5-15.5/h. 7.5h per day, 2 days off per full month.

That's low enough that one can still get low income housing support if it's 3mo or less.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv