Why Valve actually gets a lot less than 30 / 25 / 20 percent of Steam game sales revenue

Delicieuxz

Why Valve actually gets less than 30 percent of Steam game sales

Since Epic started taking a 12 percent cut of sales revenue generated on its new Games Store, much has been made of whether Steam's baseline 30 percent revenue cut is justified. But a new analysis shows that Valve sometimes receives much less than that headline revenue percentage for some of the most popular games on Steam.

The reason for the discrepancy is Steam keys, which developers can generate pretty much at will to sell through non-Steam storefronts and brick-and-mortar retailers. While these key-based purchases are still redeemed through Steam and can take advantage of Steam's suite of features, Valve actually takes no commission from sales that don't take place directly through its own storefront.

The results (for non-free-to-play titles) show that "on average, 72 percent of games are purchased through Steam, while 28 percent are purchased through third parties." And while that range can vary widely for individual games, the vast majority (80 percent) register between 50 and 80 percent of their reviews through direct Steam sales (You can view the raw, per-game numbers in this Google Doc).

Remember also that Valve incurs plenty of costs for these Steam key sales. Beyond the mere bandwidth costs for game and update downloads, key-based sales can still access the same online lobbies, achievement and leaderboard systems, Steam Workshop inventory management, Steam server APIs, anti-cheat services, and everything else that comes with being on Steam. Epic, on the other hand, provides very few of these services in exchange for the 12 percent cut on its Games Store (though the company does have a roadmap to roll out many similar features in the coming months).

None of this necessarily means Steam's 30 percent cut of direct game sales is justified, or that Valve couldn't afford to lower its rates. But the next time you hear about Valve's 30 percent headline revenue cut, keep in mind that the functional proportion of total sales the company receives is probably quite a bit lower.

Keep in mind that Steam has a new tiered fee system by which Valve take 30% from the first $10 million in sales, 25% from the next $40 million, and then 20% percent on all sales after that. So, whatever Valve takes on medium-to-large titles (which are the only titles comparable to titles EGS hosts) is often even less than the article's main point suggests.

And then consider that Steam offers publishers and gamers a huge amount of more features for the money than EGS does, and those features cost Valve money to develop, maintain, and offer the bandwidth for. 

394766271_SteamvsEGSfeatures.jpg.0ba1d1b5cc57c8d7707d97ed6c672aa9.jpg

Then further factor-in that, unlike Valve's store fee, EGS' 12% store fee isn't all-inclusive. For example, EGS charges extra payment-processing fee in some countries because, according to Tim Sweeney, EGS' 12% store fee otherwise just isn't financially practical.

These are details that Epic's Tim Sweeney doesn't mention or allude to when he tries to hype EGS up and talk about how it's a better deal for developers. In the end, there might be very little difference between the two stores' expenses to developers, while there is huge difference in what features and community experiences those platforms provide their customers, and also in the business philosophy between those platforms: Valve is very pro-consumer, EGS is very consumer-disregarding.

Related posts:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Thats pretty interesting, i had wondered what they did with the keys for a bit so nice to get some insight into that, lets just hope the EGS dies asap and this can all be over

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

another thing to consider paysafe cards. paysafe takes 10% and as far as i know that comes fully out of valves cut.

Too bad I'm stuck with CD keys most of the time steam in Hong Kong has weird gifting restrictions.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

16 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Thats pretty interesting, i had wondered what they did with the keys for a bit so nice to get some insight into that, lets just hope the EGS dies asap and this can all be over

I don't want the EGS to die out, I'd like for it to stick around and not poach exclusive titles from steam. A bit of competition is healthy imho, but I want to play Borderlands 3 and I'm not going to create a EGS account for it.

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

1 minute ago, myselfolli said:

I don't want the EGS to die out, I'd like for it to stick around and not poach exclusive titles from steam. A bit of competition is healthy imho, but I want to play Borderlands 3 and I'm not going to create a EGS account for it.

with all the issues with Epic games I do not want them to stick around, I don't feel like I can trust them and do not want them to one day own some sort of exclusive that I really want.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

2 minutes ago, Cryptonite said:

with all the issues with Epic games I do not want them to stick around, I don't feel like I can trust them and do not want them to one day own some sort of exclusive that I really want.

I haven't really followed the EGS store news too closely tbh, I always knew that I wouldn't move away from Steam...

What'd they do?

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

5 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

I haven't really followed the EGS store news too closely tbh, I always knew that I wouldn't move away from Steam...

What'd they do?

https://glitched.africa/news/epic-games-store-spying/ was the issue I was referring to and since it wasn't denied that the code was intrusive and just explained that it was Tim's fault is basically just them putting out a fire in my eyes and don't fully trust it yet. There's also the matter of people that have been banned for simply either using VPN software or just having it open but de-activated while in fortnite. Not really keen on being forced to not use a VPN.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

9 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

What'd they do?

Various security issues with their launcher, instances of the launcher scanning your computer (including your Steam profile) without permission, etc.  There's several posts right here in the Tech News sub-forum to view.  And that's without addressing the lack of proper features, such as a simple cart for purchases on the store.

They also pay like no corporate tax so what's the actual point?  " Businesses have expenses" no way who could have guessed

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 hour ago, myselfolli said:

What'd they do?

EGS is paying millions of dollars to secure store exclusives and Tim Sweeney is feigning innocence despite him formerly viciously attacking Microsoft for trying to create a walled garden with UWP.

Here's a recent comment I made about the same question:

On 4/3/2019 at 8:56 PM, Delicieuxz said:

Because Epic Games shows no consideration for the consumer, demonstrates a poor and contradicted-by-law position on software ownership, is hypocritical in their attacks against Microsoft for trying to create a walled garden with UWP, is a bully and is trying to make itself popular by underhanded force and not quality of service, because Tim Sweeney is a conniving con-man, because Epic Games are being anti-competitive, and because Epic Games' Fortnite wealth by which EGS is purchasing exclusives is largely a result of circumstantial happenstance, trend-following, and lifting from an Unreal Engine 4 licenser.

Scummy practices all around, not a company worthy of supporting, IMO, and not a place that I trust with the custodian of the games that I own. Going by the attitude EGS have been showing, they won't care one bit if they shut down their service in the future once it's no longer their interest to continue, or it Tim Sweeney retires. And as they're 40% owned by a large corporation, and as so far Tim Sweeney has asserted that consumers don't matter and it's all about the developers, I think that it's likely EGS' policies could gravitate more towards benefiting developers and publishers over time at the cost of the consumer's interests.

That's why I'm only taking the free game offers on EGS.

Steam and EGS comparison of features (it's not entirely accurate):

466376126_SteamandEGSfeaturecomparison.thumb.jpg.b09b6b1d38c24856fce9049e2fbcc6f0.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Well I wonder how next few years will be digital stores wise. Steam will face competition, be it exclusives from EGS and in time feature wise when they catch up to that. Question is, how long will they ride on exclusivity deals and will that end up being benefitial in the long run especially how that leaves a bitter taste and bad rep in general. 

Exclusivity like this looks quite murky for the future. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, myselfolli said:

Competition is healthy, just not the kind of competition like Epic. They are using scummy tactics to grab at player base. But their exclusivity BS is just pissing on the market itself, making it worse not better. Last thing we needed was this exclusivity BS within PC gaming itself. We already had it with stupid consoles and now there's another one within PC gaming? Piss off Epic. I'm actually sad that people fall for this idiocy for few bucks saved. You're not helping anyone but Epic by supporting such lame business practices. I'm not even saying people should strictly buy through Steam. You can grab Steam keys on "grey" market shops, directly from developer or even through entirely different stores like GOG or Humble Bundle (which usually has Steam keys). Just not from Epic ffs.

9 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Competition is healthy, just not the kind of competition like Epic. They are using scummy tactics to grab at player base. But their exclusivity BS is just pissing on the market itself, making it worse not better. Last thing we needed was this exclusivity BS within PC gaming itself. We already had it with stupid consoles and now there's another one within PC gaming? Piss off Epic. I'm actually sad that people fall for this idiocy for few bucks saved. You're not helping anyone but Epic by supporting such lame business practices. I'm not even saying people should strictly buy through Steam. You can grab Steam keys on "grey" market shops, directly from developer or even through entirely different stores like GOG or Humble Bundle (which usually has Steam keys). Just not from Epic ffs.

Exclusivity on PC has been there since the dawn of digital stores like Steam.

If you want truly exclusivity-free PC gaming, you have to go back to using discs, which I am totally down for

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold