what programing language should you start with

Alexthenoobgamer101

Python is probably what you SHOULD start with, it's useful, it forces you to do correct indentation and it's well documented.

I started with C# though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I started with C# and while it was a good place to start, i wouldn't go that route.

Python is probably a better option. Not only because you don't need to learn a lot of syntax rules, but also because you can stick to pure python programs, but also use it to explore the embedded world with a raspberry pi.

I learned controlling motors, reading sensors, analog/digital conversion and other stuff with the raspberry pi and python. Does require a bit of electronic knowledge but it's not too bad. Also depends what exactly you want to do.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I learnt C++ and then moved to Python. There are some advantages to that, e.g. you learn about memory management and garbage collection. But if I was to do it again, I would pick up python first! 

It is a very personal choice and you will get lots of different opinions.

The other way to look at it is to ask what area you want to get into? Web design/data science/robotics/embedded systems/video games/etc... And then pick the language that best suits that goal.

Of course it heavily depends on what the "end-goal" is. But for a lot of use cases Python is one of the best places to start I'd say.

I started with prolog, 100% not recommended.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

100% absolute basics:

• Batch (if Windows)
  • Bash/sh (if Mac/Linux)

Easy mode (some OOP dabbling)

• Python
  • AutoIt (or it's fork AHK)

More advanced stuff:

• Powershell
  • C
  • C++
  • C#

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Either C# or Python, I started using C# and now I know: C#,C++,Java, and Basic. Along with HTML,CSS,and JS.

Python is a great language to start with.

C++ => Javascript

I won't lie.  I was a low-level snob for many years.  Doing most of my stuff in C++/ASM.  Then I started at my current job where I got heavily involved in server side scripting for the first time, and I'll admit, it humbled me.  It's extremely powerful and I think everyone should try their hand at it.....

but.....

I will say as well, I have seen a lot of developers who only work/primarily work with scripting languages make a lot of really, really stupid choices in the way they write their programs.  Not necessarily wrong, but ways that hold their services back and prevent them from being scalable in the future, and a lot of it has to do with them not understanding how things work behind the scenes.

Starting off learning C++ of course won't necessarily prevent all of that, but hopefully it will at least give you the mindset that an action is just a single function call for you, doesn't mean there's not something extensive going on behind the scenes.

Just my 2 cents.

19 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you're having a curiosity about programming in general, I would argue Python on the basis of:

• It's easy to set up
  • It's easy to get going
  • It's easy to go from the interpreter to coding a separate file and having Python run it

If you're having a curiosity about programming in general, I would argue Racket on the basis of:

• It's easy to set up
  • It's easy to get going
  • It's easy to go from the interpreter to coding a separate file and having Racket run it

Write in C.

Agree, I remember in high school they taught "Scratch" which seems like it is a good first step to understanding how to build up basic logic. Python seems good but people need to be mindful there is still a lot more to learn so not being invested in Python exclusively is a good idea imo. A few of the graduates at my old job did Python at uni and really struggled with our tech stack.

For me personally I started with Java -> C# then front-end languages etc. I really struggled because of starting with OOP but at the same time I gained knowledge which is very useful you probably won't gain from Python.

On 3/29/2019 at 2:57 AM, Settlerteo said:

C. Just C and then everything would seem easy.

+1

But, not because everything would seem easy. But, because you'd have to learn that computers are finite machines with real limitations.

Processing power is not unlimited; memory is not unlimited; bandwidth is not unlimited, etc etc.

If you want a relatively close-to-the-metal language with more modern constructs (and is a lot safer than C), then Rust is not a bad option.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:31 AM, Dat Guy said:

If you're having a curiosity about programming in general, I would argue Racket on the basis of:

• It's easy to set up
  • It's easy to get going
  • It's easy to go from the interpreter to coding a separate file and having Racket run it

?

Yeah, Racket is a pretty decent choice. My university teaches racket first, then C, then C++ and I hear MIT does some similar progression. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB