article 13 and the future of LMG and floatplan

AharonG

as we all know, our worst nightmare came true. the whole internet is about to change.

i would like to hear what linus and luke have to say about that in WAN show this weekend

lets get them to see this

p.s.

i dont know if this thread is the first of its kind i just joined the forum 

There was a post about article 13 in the tech news subforum but not directly relating to floatplane and LTT, we'll see if the mods allow it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

?ℎ?? ??????? ℎ?? ???? ???????? ??? ?? ???????? ?????’? ???????ℎ? ???

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 3/27/2019 at 3:48 PM, AharonG said:

as we all know, our worst nightmare came true. the whole internet is about to change.

i would like to hear what linus and luke have to say about that in WAN show this weekend

lets get them to see this

p.s.

i dont know if this thread is the first of its kind i just joined the forum 

Article 13 only affects Europe.... not the rest of the world and LMG is located in Western Canada, as far west in Canada as you can get.

Side Note; I'd like to see the EU try to enforce anything on me here Iowa, USA.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:36 PM, AharonG said:

but still. it will affect them

no it will have zero impact on them as the upload filters will only be mandatory when you are from the EU and also there is at the very least a two year period before anything needs to be enforced so there is much time till then 

Just now, Pixel5 said:

no it will have zero impact on them as the upload filters will only be mandatory when you are from the EU and also there is at the very least a two year period before anything needs to be enforced so there is much time till then 

You'd think but France has already started pushing for filters for everyone and trying to get the law implemented asap.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20190327/17141241885/after-insisting-that-eu-copyright-directive-didnt-require-filters-france-immediately-starts-promoting-filters.shtml

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

We were also told the Internet would end when the US government ended net neutrality. Nothing changed

did you all miss the link tax, ask how that could affect ahem FORUMS, floatplane, youtube, twitch. all content posted must be owned. or proof you have permission. it's going to be so much fun. 

to err is human, to really mess things up requires an IP.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:17 AM, NeuesTestament said:

We were also told the Internet would end when the US government ended net neutrality. Nothing changed

Nobody said that, and things absolutely did change. Keep your strawman arguments out of here.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 3/29/2019 at 6:45 AM, SansVarnic said:

You're forgetting one important thing. The entertainment minions in the US will start squawking "Europe is doing it so we need to as well!"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

You're forgetting one important thing. The entertainment minions in the US will start squawking "Europe is doing it so we need to as well!"

The US has fair use in law, the EU does not.

I don't know about Canadian Fair Use law, but you did mention the US.

On 3/29/2019 at 5:45 AM, SansVarnic said:

They'll deport your pigs and steal your soybeans.

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

11 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Nobody said that, and things absolutely did change.

What did change for the average consumer?

On 3/30/2019 at 11:15 PM, Evanair said:

The US has fair use in law, the EU does not.

I don't know about Canadian Fair Use law, but you did mention the US.

EU DOES have laws that do similar stuff as fair use, It it's not its own law, and it's not called fair use. But it's there, if I remember correctly, it's just written as an exeption in the copyright laws. Tho, I don't remember if they are quite as strong as fair use.

Stop spreading missinformatin.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 3/30/2019 at 3:49 AM, rcorkum said:

did you all miss the link tax, ask how that could affect ahem FORUMS, floatplane, youtube, twitch. all content posted must be owned. or proof you have permission. it's going to be so much fun. 

This kind of "tax" is what happens when you put idiots who have no idea what a "link" is, in charge.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the ones who voted in favor had no idea what they were actually voting on and just blindly followed whoever was paying them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 3/27/2019 at 5:36 PM, AharonG said:

but still. it will affect them

Most of their audience is in Canada and the USA. So it will only affect a small amount of their traffic. The EU's laws have no baring outside the EU. What I see happening is many companies blocking EU users from their services, rather than complying with the law. 

3 hours ago, Srius1 said:

Gotta love socliailsm / communism /

Has nothing to do with this. This is what the entertainment industry wants. I guarantee this was the making of the movie studios and music studios. They just paid off the right people. I would imagine the EU is just as corrupted by political money like the US is. The only reason this type of shit doesn't happen in the US, is because our people would be up in arms and congress doesnt like angry mobs with pitch forks and torches standing out side the capital building. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 3/29/2019 at 10:45 AM, SansVarnic said:

Article 13 only affects Europe.... not the rest of the world and LMG is located in Western Canada, as far west in Canada as you can get.

It will effect what you can view from creators based in Europe and even things based out of EU might be blocked to people in EU. This will lead to things you may love vanishing overnight because of article 13 dew to the way craters make money for what they do from the people in the EU. The annoying thing is that the people in the EU voiced very loudly that they did not what this law but people with money paid the people who vote for theses laws because it benefits them not us as consumers. Yer the EU cannot directly enforce laws on america and over contries it will still effect you no mater were you live.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:05 AM, TetraSky said:

This kind of "tax" is what happens when you put idiots who have no idea what a "link" is, in charge.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the ones who voted in favor had no idea what they were actually voting on and just blindly followed whoever was paying them.

oh, I totally agree 200% the problem is the interpretation of the law. that's my concern, EU, international companies, how it could hit say a blog poster with a weekly update up to and including Google and FB.  and everything between.

to err is human, to really mess things up requires an IP.

On 3/31/2019 at 2:52 AM, NeuesTestament said:

What did change for the average consumer?

Throttling and more price hikes. Half the US has only one option for ISP, and yet they're the only monopolies that are allowed to compete as if they had competition.

I think there may be a misconception about what's actually happening here.

This does a good job of explaining it : https://slate.com/technology/2019/04/eu-copyright-directive-article-13-wreck-internet.html

If anything, the EU will (over the next couple of years) be protecting your rights that - at the moment - are a little hazy.

On 3/29/2019 at 2:08 PM, Lurick said:

You'd think but France has already started pushing for filters for everyone and trying to get the law implemented asap.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20190327/17141241885/after-insisting-that-eu-copyright-directive-didnt-require-filters-france-immediately-starts-promoting-filters.shtml

If they did not everyone would use banana state proxy to upload Marvel movies etc. I really cant understand why people who create content are so scared about this. Internet will still be more free in EU than USA if this passes.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:45 AM, SansVarnic said:

sure, but it will affect LMG if it means that they lose all their EU viewers if they don't follow the new laws. 

She/Her

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

None of these laws are interested in banning books or information

maybe not specifically, but they do have that effect to an extent. 

She/Her