[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
5 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

You should probs remove that confusion until you actually know what rank you want the new GD's to have.

well, for once this is the 2017 gd, not the 2019

this is all fixed in the update, but we're doing finishing touches to that one.

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, for once this is the 2017 gd, not the 2019

Perhaps I wasn't direct enough in my post when I said "you should remove the confusion".  All you had to do was add to it (GD 2017 version, 2019 version not yet ranked) or something so at least you were removing the ambiguity from the list.  It's a very small edit. 

Not everyone reading this list can be expected to assume it's the 2017 model, that's why you have to state it explicitly.  and why I pointed it out...

Also, I tried looking for a 2017 GD for sale I cannot find any on Newegg or pcpartpicker.  Is is possible that it's old enough it should be retired to make things easier?

9 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Not everyone reading this list can be expected to assume it's the 2017 model, that's why you have to state it explicitly.  and why I pointed it out...

it's a fair point, which is again why i fixed it in the doc

expect this to soon take change... we have some last internal things so to say

22 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Also not sure if this was seen by people yet, an actual real review of the new EVGA G5: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html

Was waiting for the G5 to ostensibly be the good version of the G3, so that bigger number = better and people would stop getting the G3 over the G2 (or other, better units for the price) 

22 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

and is not a big shock

Ba dum tsss

Also @LukeSavenije are you going to add to the "reasons not to buy the G3 topic" with this new g5 information, doubling down on preference for the G2 and G1? I can only fit so many links in my signature.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Also @LukeSavenije are you going to add to the "reasons not to buy the G3 topic" with this new g5 information, doubling down on preference for the G2 and G1? I can only fit so many links in my signature

I'll throw it in the group

Hello everyone, I noticed that there are no reviews of the newer GD series on here, so since I bought one recently I decided to open it up since I saw no tamper stickers on them. I'm not an expert at this by any means and this was the first time I opened a power supply, so I apologize for the meh camera quality (was using my phone).

I tried taking a decent amount of pictures, I don't have any engineering background so I'm not sure if there was something I should look for.

Some of the board seems... slanted? I'm not sure if maybe the fan dropped on this when I took it off, but if anything it shouldn't be enough to move it? 

Should I be worried? 

EDIT: Here's a link instead 

2 minutes ago, matusrules said:

Hello everyone, I noticed that there are no reviews of the newer GD series on here, so since I bought one recently I decided to open it up since I saw no tamper stickers on them. I'm not an expert at this by any means and this was the first time I opened a power supply, so I apologize for the meh camera quality (was using my phone).

Don't open up the PSU if you have no idea what you're doing, you can get hospitalized or killed if you mess up. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215200/Teenager-Shawnee-Oklahoma-dies-electrocuted-fixing-computer.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

10 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Don't open up the PSU if you have no idea what you're doing, you can get hospitalized or killed if you mess up. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215200/Teenager-Shawnee-Oklahoma-dies-electrocuted-fixing-computer.html

I'm aware of this, but wouldn't something happen only if you touch something?

1 minute ago, matusrules said:

I'm aware of this, but wouldn't something happen only if you touch something?

sure, but do you really wanna take that risk?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

8 hours ago, matusrules said:

I tried taking a decent amount of pictures, I don't have any engineering background so I'm not sure if there was something I should look for.

Some of the board seems... slanted? I'm not sure if maybe the fan dropped on this when I took it off, but if anything it shouldn't be enough to move it? 

Should I be worried? 

EDIT: Here's a link instead

Thank youuu! You're the first person who shared what it looks like inside.

So it turns out the layout is the same as in FSP Hydro GE, except the bridge rectifiers in EVGA are put further to the left. There's also a busbar in the EVGA between the transformer and 12V choke, instead of five jumpers in Hydro GE. The primary heatsink is also longer and uses four fins instead of five. I wonder if any of the components have different specifications.

I just got the Seasonic Focus Gold 750. Tried testing it with the motherboard tester but the fan doesn't spin. Any other test I can do other than waiting for my new cpu/motherboard to ship?

My previous Corsair psu fried and I think it might have taken my system with it so I got a new psu but it's still not turning on

7 minutes ago, urtv said:

I just got the Seasonic Focus Gold 750. Tried testing it with the motherboard tester but the fan doesn't spin. Any other test I can do other than waiting for my new cpu/motherboard to ship?

My previous Corsair psu fried and I think it might have taken my system with it so I got a new psu but it's still not turning on

IDK if the Focus Gold has a zero rpm fan (I know the Plus does) but it might be that

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

10 minutes ago, urtv said:

2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

IDK if the Focus Gold has a zero rpm fan (I know the Plus does) but it might be that

Checked Seasonic website, that model doesn't have zero fan mode.

@urtv Could be other components in your system were damaged...

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

16 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:
S3FC - Fanless until 30 % load

https://seasonic.com/focus-plus-gold#specification

That's the Focus Plus Gold which is a different thing

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

19 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

That's the Focus Plus Gold which is a different thing

My mistake.

I edit my posts more often than not

7 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Thank youuu! You're the first person who shared what it looks like inside.

So it turns out the layout is the same as in FSP Hydro GE, except the bridge rectifiers in EVGA are put further to the left. There's also a busbar in the EVGA between the transformer and 12V choke, instead of five jumpers in Hydro GE. The primary heatsink is also longer and uses four fins instead of five. I wonder if any of the components have different specifications.

Thanks for the analysis! Given this info, would you say this is decent, good, great, etc?

I plan to use this PSU a lot in several builds which is sort of why I took the plunge and opened it up carefully, wanted to see if it was any decent.

Also do you have any idea if the slanted components effect anything or is that just manufacturing tolerances 

most of those psus in "dont buy" section, people consider those as good branded psus specially the corsair vs series

5 minutes ago, matusrules said:

Thanks for the analysis! Given this info, would you say this is decent, good, great, etc?

Also do you have any idea if the slanted components mean anything or is that just manufacturing tolerances 

I struggle to find any detailed testing of FSP Hydro GE ?

Slightly slanted components are ok.

2 minutes ago, Yuvraj Mann said:

most of those psus in "dont buy" section, people consider those as good branded psus specially the corsair vs series

for once that's not the 2017, but the 2012 vs, which are two different units

and what other would be actually decent psus? the w1?

2 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

I struggle to find any detailed testing of FSP Hydro GE ?

Slightly slanted components are ok.

from what i can gather so far it's a double forward, which @Stefan Payne finds rather cheap looking

but yeah... similar story here

2 minutes ago, Yuvraj Mann said:

people consider those as good branded psus specially the corsair vs series

Brands are meaningless, only models matter.

Any brand makes good and bad products, the VS is by no means a good unit.

I don't know what "people" you're referring to but usually individual experiences hold little importance on the great scheme of things.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)