[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i don't do that

i tiered it down because it's a 9 year old platform, uses group regulation, lacks 12v undervoltage protection and I'm seriously concerned about your 5v rail with that config

where did you even conclude that from?

Is that supposed to be a better set of reasons?  You just replaced one tone-deaf explanation for another.  And that is the problem with the ENTIRE tier list.

27 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

Is that supposed to be a better set of reasons? 

it is

i mean, would you use a vs 2012 (orange) with a 1080 ti these days?

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

it is

i mean, would you use a vs 2012 (orange) with a 1080 ti these days?

Did you just compare the VS orange to the S12II ?      It's such a one-sided matchup that I am amazed you even proposed it.  You couldn't have highlighted my tone-deaf criticism any more brightly.  It's like comparing a 1990's Corvette to 1990's Ford Aspire just because they are both older. 

The S12II is performance unit.   An older performance unit, but a performance unit nonetheless.   It was not only designed to run power-hungery cpu's and GPU's but it did exactly that with distinction for the better part of a decade and a half.  Its kind of like a 20 year old corvette.  It can't match modern performance cars, but it can still take your Corolla.  The VS on the other hand has been a very low end unit from the beginning. Which is fine because was never meant to compete with the better units.  It was meant to be affordable.  

TI 1080?   I have seen people using the S12II with 2080 TI's.   Is it really that big a surprise?   It was designed for those types of loads. 

There are better options than BQ PP11. At least in my country, you can get Bitfenix WhisperM cheaper, Corsair TXM cheaper, SeaSonic Core GM cheaper, than PP11. 

It's always interesting how much pricing varies from country to country.  Be quiets in particular seem to always be either great deals or overpriced.

48 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

The S12II is performance unit.

oh, so i need to compare it to a Enermax NAXN or OCZ ModXtream?

5 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

There are better options than BQ PP11. At least in my country, you can get Bitfenix WhisperM cheaper, Corsair TXM cheaper, SeaSonic Core GM cheaper, than PP11. 

Location? Budget? 

UA. Not in my country :) 

Corsair does not have an official seller in Ukraine, we have a strange guarantee from the store and reduced warranty periods for some models. Other manufacturers also have this.

RM650x is a very attractive option, but the situation with the guarantee scares me. I wrote in support corsair 2 days ago about this situation, but there is no answer.

be quiet system power 9 700 77$ (3 years)

be quiet pure power 11 600 91$ (5 years)

be quiet pure power 11 700 CM 124$ (5 years)

Corsair TX650M (CP-9020132-EU) 114$ (7 years)

Corsair CX650M 650W (CP-9020103)  93$ (3 years)

Corsair RM650x 650W (CP-9020178-EU) 117$  (10 years)

Cooler Master MWE GOLD 650 110$ (2 years)

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i assume you mean pure power here?

yes :)

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

then the 600w would be my choice here

Is it definitely enough for me for a future upgrade? I can wait for the BQ Pure power 700 not cm to be available, I think that the price will be about 100-100$

3 minutes ago, 666Nybras666 said:

Is it definitely enough for me for a future upgrade? I can wait for the BQ Pure power 700 not cm to be available, I think that the price will be about 100-100$

your current system would even do perfectly fine on the 500w

i'd just keep it at 600w personally

7 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

oh, so i need to compare it to a Enermax NAXN or OCZ ModXtream?

Seasonic: It's good because people like it, and people like it because it's good

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 hours ago, 666Nybras666 said:

UA. Not in my country :) 

Corsair does not have an official seller in Ukraine, we have a strange guarantee from the store and reduced warranty periods for some models. Other manufacturers also have this.

RM650x is a very attractive option, but the situation with the guarantee scares me. I wrote in support corsair 2 days ago about this situation, but there is no answer.

Corsair TX650M (CP-9020132-EU) 114$ (7 years)

Is TX550M available? :) 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

3 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Is TX550M available? :) 

Yes, 100$. 

I already ordered a pure power 11 600. I can cancel the order, but I think that 550 will be up against the future upgrade. + as I said, we have a very strange situation with the guarantee of a corsair, they do not have official points of sale or service centers.

I wrote to the corsair, asking if I could get a guarantee on a check, etc, but they never answered me in 2 days.

I think the pure power 11 600 is a good choice, 5 years warranty. I also ordered Fractal Design meshify c dark tg + 212 rgb black.

I am only confused by a non-modular system, I hope that I can manage to lay all these wires. :)

22 hours ago, FALC0N said:

Is that supposed to be a better set of reasons?  You just replaced one tone-deaf explanation for another.  And that is the problem with the ENTIRE tier list.

Because god forbid someone pay $5-15 dollars more than a 9 year old (now budget) PSU for a modern PSU that has better regulation, protections, fan, features, sleep states, etc...  It's not like you want the PSU to last a long time and still be ideal for newer builds without using dated/aging technology.

On 10/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, tyson.b said:

It's showing new PC builders that you need to have a $100+ power supply to get your computer powered effectively. Which is simply not true.

Speaking of "not true" did you bother to look at the prices of some of the more commonly recommended units?  Even for a high end gaming build picking a value-priced PSU from Tier-B isn't that hard.  Right now on PCPartPicker the Corsair CX is around $4 more than an S12III (w/ MiR), and the Cooler Master MWE Bronze units are typically very budget-friendly in US pricing.

4 hours ago, 666Nybras666 said:

Yes, 100$. 

I already ordered a pure power 11 600. I can cancel the order, but I think that 550 will be up against the future upgrade. + as I said, we have a very strange situation with the guarantee of a corsair, they do not have official points of sale or service centers.

I wrote to the corsair, asking if I could get a guarantee on a check, etc, but they never answered me in 2 days.

I think the pure power 11 600 is a good choice, 5 years warranty. I also ordered Fractal Design meshify c dark tg + 212 rgb black.

I am only confused by a non-modular system, I hope that I can manage to lay all these wires. :)

:) As you've marked: Pure Power (without CM) is a non-modular PSU. TX550M is half-modular, and as far as I'm concerned, a better unit (and in Hungary, it's cheaper than PP11, with longer warranty, but I know it's meaningless to you).

I think you would not have done a bad decision with the TX550M, but PP11 is fine. You might need more patience and time to get an aesthetic cable routing, a bit more planning.

Hello, should i swap my 6+ year old s12ii 520? I have ryzen 5 2600, 2x8GB 3200 ram, HD5850 atm:D, getting rx 5500/5600 or gtx 1660/super

some options:

corsair tx550m 71€
nzxt e500 74€
SeaSonic CORE-GM-500 75€
bitfenix whisper m 450 78€
Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 82€
seasonic focus plus 550 gold 85€
seasonic focus gx 550 90€
corsair rm550x 98€

13 minutes ago, lalaldu said:

Hello, should i swap my 6+ year old s12ii 520? I have ryzen 5 2600, 2x8GB 3200 ram, HD5850 atm:D, getting rx 5500/5600 or gtx 1660/super

Hello!

Due to the pricing, I'd consider TX550M by Corsair. 

5 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

due to pricing, i second this

31 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Hello!

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

due to pricing, i second this

Thanks!

But can you tell why, just curious because there's so small price differences between these, so i'm wondering, what if tx550m was 76€, then what would u choose.

1 minute ago, lalaldu said:

But can you tell why, just curious because there's so small price differences between these, so i'm wondering, what if tx550m was 76€, then what would u choose.

probably the nzxt e, as it's the only focus that i have full trust in because of an added OCP, the whisper M would also be a great option, as well as the RMx if you're looking for something a little more silent, as the TXm and NZXT E aren't too loud, but not comparable to the RMx

15 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

probably the nzxt e, as it's the only focus that i have full trust in because of an added OCP, the whisper M would also be a great option, as well as the RMx if you're looking for something a little more silent, as the TXm and NZXT E aren't too loud, but not comparable to the RMx

Okay, thanks.

edit: Corsair have full 7-10 years warranty through local shop , others have 2-3. This makes corsair even better option?

29 minutes ago, lalaldu said:

shop , others have 2-3. This makes corsair even better option?

hm... that's odd, they should have more than that

but if that's your situation, it might make the rmx justifyable

19 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

hm... that's odd, they should have more than that

but if that's your situation, it might make the rmx justifyable

Sadly enough, it's very common 'inmycountry'. All WhisperM units come with either 2 or 3 year warranty from retailers, yet, the same shops provide the full seven year warranty for TXM units. Situation with EVGA G2-G3, is a disgrace: 2 years. Or one.

The rest? you are welcome to deal with EVGA directly.