PSU Experts Seem To Know Nothing

RaidAU

After weeks of searching, I picked out a new PSU, ordered and received it. (Corsair TX850M, Tier A PSU)

I used it for less than a week and it burnt then died... a quality product that definitely deserved to be at Tier A and recommended by multiple people.

Especially after I got called an idiot for thinking my old PSU was good EVEN THOUGH IT'S STILL WORKING ON THE SAME LOAD!

Basically, this is a short PSA that you shouldn't listen to anyone online, not even on these forums. Some people can be great and give advice but take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt!

Proof Of Purchase 

Capture.PNG.c47f7e552deb799f5a5bae55eb343bcf.PNG

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i mean, as said above: once in a while it happens that a unit fails, even if it has a 0,1% failure rate, there will be failed units

rma it and hope your next one is what it should be: a good choice

5 minutes ago, RyuKobs said:

Unlucky mate, you got a lemon.

Use that 7 year warranty and RMA it.

Good Luck.

I must be insanely unlucky or their Q.C testing is crap

DOA unit. its a great PSU series and deserves to be tier A. 

while it sucks to get a DOA unit, i wouldnt blame it on th product or the people recommending it, unless the unit has a rampant issue of this occuring. if that was the case it wouldnt be a Tier A

I think it’s unfair to say “PSU Experts seem to know nothing” just because you bought an A-Tier PSU and it happened to break. Manufacturing defects are a thing, no matter how good the product is, unfortunately.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

There's always going to be a bad one. I had these fears when buying the ax860i, which seemed to have quite a few complaints online (Not loads, but definitely enough to show a clear problem). I bought it, and haven't had any problems. As they said above, you were just unlucky. Nothing can be 100% reliable, no matter how much money you put into making it.

And that's talking about one of the best psu's on the market, even now. Shows that all tiers are not indestructible and all can be subject to issues.

3 minutes ago, RaidAU said:

On the bright side your PSU failed while it had warranty unlike my Seasonic which failed 6 months after its warranty ended ?

* Thread cleaned *

Please keep the Community Standards in mind when interacting with others. OP has all the right in the world to be frustrated with his current situation.

A discussion can take place, but as the CS mentions, stay civil and be respectful.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, RyuKobs said:

On the bright side your PSU failed while it had warranty unlike my Seasonic which failed 6 months after its warranty ended ?

Still got 6 years and 359 days left of warranty haha

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Please keep the Community Standards in mind when interacting with others. OP has all the right in the world to be frustrated with his current situation.

A discussion can take place, but as the CS mentions, stay civil and be respectful.

I don't see what sort of constructive discussion you can get out of this. The way OP proceeds to blame everyone and to rail against the company, trying to paint them as producing bad quality products, just because the OP was unlucky, just isn't conducive for any sort of meaningful discussion. Shit happens, there's no mass-produced product-line with 0 defective products, period, end of -- nothing else to say.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

29 minutes ago, RaidAU said:

Bad luck happens. I doubt its their QC. something might have happened during shipping (water, humidity, drops...)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

Bad luck happens. I doubt its their QC. something might have happened during shipping (water, humidity, drops...)

It was a really sudden failure as well. Had seemed to be working fine for that short period of time.

Could it be something to do with the Vega GPU? Some PSU's seemed to have problems.

55 minutes ago, RaidAU said:

I used it for less than a week and it burnt then died... a quality product that definitely deserved to be at Tier A and recommended by multiple people.

1. PSU tier list is meaningless IMO and there's no need to follow it. Just look up reviews on reputable sites for the PSU you want to buy.

2. No PSU has a 0% failure rate.

3. Are you 100% sure your PSU isn't working?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

37 minutes ago, RaidAU said:

i guess you're unlucky. tho i do know the person that mainly goes about this, you want to speak to him?

Just because you got a bad unit doesn't mean it's a bad PSU. You just got unlucky.

The TX850M is a great PSU, and like every single other PSU it has a failure rate.

With PSUs, this can happen whether you spent £50 or £250 on it. No PSU is immune to DOA, being a lemon unit or sustaining manufacturing defects.

These things happen and that's why the warranty is there. All you need to do is just RMA it. 

On another note, manufacturing defects/shipping damage/DOA products/bad units shouldn't be blamed on the people who recommended you the PSU because of two things:

1. They weren't intentionally recommending you a bad unit. I can understand you talking about them if that was the case but neither you or them knew that you'd receive a lemon unit. Cut them some slack. They tried to help. 

2. It won't solve the issue at all. I'm not trying to make you feel bad by any means, you have a right to be frustrated about this issue. But going after the people who recommended it to you solves nothing, especially considering that like I mentioned earlier, they did not know you would receive a lemon unit. All you needed to do was just RMA it, it would have helped more than saying "oh these guys know nothing because my PSU died". 

I can understand your frustration and why you would want to speak your mind about the situation. That's absolutely fine.

But saying stuff like "oh these guys know nothing because this tier A PSU died" and "don't trust anyone online" just isn't the right way to go about this. 

TL;DR - You got a bad apple, just RMA it. No need to go after the people who recommended it to you, it was not their fault this happened.

1 hour ago, RaidAU said:

I used it for less than a week and it burnt then died..

Yes, that is what Warranty is for.

That is why the EU makes Warranty Laws.

That is why manufacturers offer you a Warranty.

I don't know about statistics, its saidthat if the unit survives the first couple of months, it will be fine for the next couple of years.

Its really not a big deal, just RMA the unit, get a new one and be happy.

PS: Why 850W??

IF you need 850W, you'd look at HX850 (Platinum or i) if you stay within the Corsair lineup.

Otherwise the RMx/i might be a better choice anyway...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

43 minutes ago, Geography said:

PSU tier list is meaningless IMO and there's no need to follow it. Just look up reviews on reputable sites for the PSU you want to buy.

good thing the next revision will come soon?

You shouldn't trust the tier list. It is completely subjective and who knows what the OP was thinking when making it.

Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-tx750m-psu,5062.html

I'm sorry for your unfortune. But, that is what warranty is for. 

Make sure you're using only the cables that come with the TXM

9 hours ago, RaidAU said:

After weeks of searching, I picked out a new PSU, ordered and received it. (Corsair TX850M, Tier A PSU)

Especially after I got called an idiot for thinking my old PSU was good EVEN THOUGH IT'S STILL WORKING ON THE SAME LOAD!

Basically, this is a short PSA that you shouldn't listen to anyone online, not even on these forums. Some people can be great and give advice but take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt!

There isn't a product on the market that is 100% free from failures.  This could have happened to anyone with any product, even one that is highly touted as "tier A".

But I understand how you feel.

Back in the day when I used to build PCs for a living, I used Shuttle motherboards almost exclusively.  Used hundreds and never had a dead board.  Friend of mine wanted to buy some parts (not a whole PC) from me and I essentially gave him the same stuff I used every day... including a Shuttle motherboard.  He came back the next day and said it was dead.  I tested it on the bench and it did, in fact, failed to POST.  So I grabbed another board off the shelf and handed it to him and he said, "no thanks.  I don't want another one of those."  As far as he was concerned, failure rate was 100% (1 out of 1 board was dead, that's 100%), so he opted for a completely different brand of motherboard.

10 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

0,1%

*0.1%* please don't be an animal, use decimals.

Shit happens my dude. One of our wireless lapel mics for my one church kicked the can in the middle of the service this past Sunday. Thing was brand new too. It's a Shure product, and I've used them for so many years now. This is actually my first failure of any Shure product. Even though it was new, and treated the way you're told to treat it, it failed. That can happen from time to time, you get something that is just able to pass QA but is still able to fail in your hands. It's a one in a million (if not more) chance. If this was your maybe third PSU of the exact same model, then yes, there'd be a problem. Don't be like those asshole reviewers who rate one star because shipping fucked their order up or their item was DOA. Those people are less than helpful as they're just bashing any and everything they can because they're mad. Yes, it's a set back, yes it's okay to be mad. No, it's not okay to say such outlandish things just because you alone had an issue. Again, if this was your third unit and lots of other reviews indicated similar results, then we'd have a situation. No one would blame you if you were just venting, but you haven't even given customer support a chance here. Stick with it, you'll be happy in the end. 

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

nope, the European way

Listen, mate. I do more Euro things than I legally should here in the colonies. But that right there, is worse than the way yous write the date. It actually makes less sense when you read it. Commas are for numbers like 1,000 where as the decimal is for numbers like 0.1. Bigger numbers use commas, smaller numbers use the decimal. Same thing with currency. It's not 199,99 quid as that is easily read as one hundred ninety nine thousand ninety nine. Write it like 199.99 and instantly makes sense when reading it, you don't even have to think about it. As 'murican and barbaric as I am, that right there is cold blooded killer shit. It's reason alone for another war.