RUMOUR: Apple in 2019: 16-inch MacBook, 31-inch 6K display and more

RobbinM
46 minutes ago, DaRk0 said:

That would be actually amazing. Same size with the screen size bumped up.

Still wouldn't buy though. Prices are ridiculous. 

i mean then they would copy Huawei and their matebook. but its okay when they copy people. 

44 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i mean then they would copy Huawei and their matebook. but its okay when they copy people. 

There's actually a recent story on The Information (you need a subscription to see it) that shows Huawei was explicitly trying to copy the MacBook, so this is a pretty lousy example.

it seems like a conversation was had of "how can we make this more expensive and justify it?"

not good. if true. Means they out of ideas and buying time with higher priced items to mask selling LESS things(in order to meet revenue targets) like I've seen some people talk about

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

My expectations are:

The 16 inch macbook will probably be a regular 15 inch macbook but with a slightly smaller bezel.

The 31 inch 6K screen will probably cost more than most can afford.

I've never liked Apple but this just takes the cake. IMO there's no point in these products existing apart from being a way for Apple to make quick cash.

5 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Inb4 they call it the MacBook 6K*

*Actual cost, not the resolution

✨FNIGE✨

12 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

to be fair, Thunderbolt displays strictly interfaces through a thunderbolt host (so during the time of thunderbolt 2, you can't use mini-Displayport cables, and the display must be connected to a Thunderbolt 2 port. The worst part was Thunderbolt 2 Cables cannot be used as mini-Displayport cables). I might guess it'd be the same for Thunderbolt 3 vs USB-C (although I hear one might be able to use Thunderbolt-C cables as a regular USB-C cable) ._.

That being said, bodges like this (using a Thunderbolt display for a system that does not have Thunderbolt hardware) tickles my fancy

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2018-mac-mini-wx-910032gbps-tb3-mantiz-venus-thunderbolt-3-monitor-output-macos-10-14-1-theitsage/#post-49218

The MacBooks had thunderbolt + miniDP combination ports so you could use both. Always worked for me, at least.

6K seems a bit odd to me. I could see 5K or 8K based on compatibility purposes. Though, compatibility isn't something Apple has made priority.

Call me when they bring back the Mac Pro in a way that doesn't suck.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Is there any information on the actual resolution or aspect ratio the external monitor is going to be? I really hate what the 'k' nomenclature for resolutions has turned into.

1 hour ago, 2Buck said:

Call me when they bring back the Mac Pro in a way that doesn't suck.

Supposedly this year it becomes modular, expandable, and upgradable again.  But I still doubt it'll be a nice tower like everybody has asked for.

20 hours ago, RobbinM said:

I remember the 5K Apple display as a screen that's not easy to use in a non-Mac environment so I am a bit sceptical for this 6K display.

Maybe I'm wrong

Manufacturers not using Thunderbolt isn't Apples fault. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

the thunderbolt 2 standard is based off the physicalities of the mini-displayport socket. it can function as a regular displayport source (if given a display stream), but it's strict on which display and connection you use (strictly thunderbolt cables for thunderbolt displays, strictly displayport cables for displayport displays)

https://blog.startech.com/post/what-you-need-to-know-about-thunderbolt-vs-mini-displayport/

i have a thunderbolt 2 cable, a minidisplayport monitor, and a 2012 MBP. thunderbolt 2 cables don't work as regular displayport cables. i've tried ._.

But was it a thunderbolt + DP cable?

30 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

okay i stand corrected ._. it's a regular thunderbolt 2 cable

although the only exception i know of are minidisplayport to regular displayport cables that can translate thunderbolt signals. are there true thunderbolt 2 custom cables that can function as a displayport cable?

The standard is thunderbolt + mini-displayport, a thunderbolt cable would itself be thunderbolt + DP, however a thunderbolt monitor has a thunderbolt chip that recognises the thunderbolt capability of the port. 

6K monitor? With Apple approved GPU's??? LOLOLOL. I got rid of my 5K iMac because I didn't feel the substandard Radeon that came in it could reliably driver the display for doing design work.

Apple 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro | Apple 2021 M2 MacBook Air

Intel Hades Canyon NUC - i7-8809G, 3.10 GHz | 32 GB RAM | 512 GB + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO | Radeon Vega GH | MSI Silent Armor 1060-6GB in Sonnet eGPU. 

Intel Serpent Canyon NUC - i7-12700 | 32GB RAM 

MSI MAG B660M MORTAR | Intel i5-12600K | EVGA 3080 Ti | 64GB Corsair Dominator | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD | 4TB Samsung 870 EVO | 2TB WD Blue SATA SSD

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

When is Apple gonna use a non potato GPU to push those pixels?

Oh they will. With a 5 figure price tag...

16 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Inb4 they call it the MacBook 6K

I doubt they'd do that to the name, but maybe to the price. lol

Perhaps the MacBook Pro+?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I must be a really different consumer to the rest of the world,  With all these new innovations/designs apple and Samsung are bring out, none of them have given me a single inkling to pony up the cash for their product.   16"?  hhhmmfff.  31" 6K?  please.  phone with curved edges or small bezels?  not this side of a cure for arthritis.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 2/19/2019 at 4:48 AM, mr moose said:

I must be a really different consumer to the rest of the world,  With all these new innovations/designs apple and Samsung are bring out, none of them have given me a single inkling to pony up the cash for their product.   16"?  hhhmmfff.  31" 6K?  please.  phone with curved edges or small bezels?  not this side of a cure for arthritis.

To be fair, a 16-inch MacBook Pro and a 31-inch 6K display would be more for creative pros than for everyday users (though I'd definitely have both if I could justify the cost).

On 2/18/2019 at 4:36 AM, Dabombinable said:

Wait. The lightning connector is still limited to USB 2.0 speeds isn't it?

Yes. Another reason why jailbreaking is cool (SFTP over wifi to get 15-20MB/s transfer speeds) :) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 hours ago, themctipers said:

Yes. Another reason why jailbreaking is cool (SFTP over wifi to get 15-20MB/s transfer speeds) :) 

USB 2.0 hits 60MB/s.......

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

USB 2.0 hits 60MB/s.......

requires iTunes, no real full file system access

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

requires iTunes, no real full file system access

Can't you use transfer files in a similar manner to Android once the iPhone is jailbroken/unshackled?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Can't you use transfer files in a similar manner to Android once the iPhone is jailbroken/unshackled?

yes

but not using iTunes

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.