Asrock Unveils Phantom Gaming X Radeon VII 16G

Asrock unveils the Radeon VII (R7) card ahead of the official launch (it's Jan 30th, 2019, and it's like almost 8-9 days). This is likely a stock edition, and I believe also stock PCB layout.

It sports the same specifications as highlighted during Dr. Su’s CES address, i.e., the card is rated to operate at a boost frequency of 1750MHz (base clock of 1400MHz), features 16GB of HBM2 and a 1TB/s memory bandwidth over its 4,096 bit-wide memory bus

It does support the newer AMD FreeSync 2, meanwhile, there's no mention of ray tracing support like Nvidia's RTX counterparts.

1725348290_PhantomGamingXRadeonVII16G(L4).png.8275cfc209813f40b41497ab9efa2b13.png

Source:

https://asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Phantom Gaming X Radeon VII 16G/#Overview

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-asrock-jumps-gun-unveil-its-phantom-gaming-x-radeon-vii-16g-graphics-card?fbclid=IwAR1RzEWHtAa1wB0rZYmZArBS4cTnRc03x8ist4MySI88Q6ihtmH2qbMy-Bw

ASRock Phantom Gaming X reveal when?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

12 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

who needs ray tracing anyway right? 

First picture is Nvidia rep talking up RTX, second picture is after the interviewer asks how the implementation of RTX in to games is going. *sweat on*

It looks barely any different than the regular Radeon 7.

Where's the RGB?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

? if the card is the same as the reference (or whatever it's called by AMD), then what's the attractions for this card? Assuming it's going to be slightly more expensive than the AMD one since they probably can't make it any cheaper with the material cost so near to the MSRP.

29 minutes ago, BananaInSandals said:

? if the card is the same as the reference (or whatever it's called by AMD), then what's the attractions for this card? Assuming it's going to be slightly more expensive than the AMD one since they probably can't make it any cheaper with the material cost so near to the MSRP.

Actually, the retail actually marked up the price of the cards, well basically, anything, if there's shortage.

Do we know who makes that coolers? It looks to me like Sapphire does and if that the case that might be good news: They know how to cool with 3x fan radiators, one of the few companies who properly tamed the 290x back in those days.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So basically all really the same reference ones so far. Still, looks good. Would like to see the temps since it's not a blower style but a 3 fan design. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

38 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

So basically all really the same reference ones so far. Still, looks good. Would like to see the temps since it's not a blower style but a 3 fan design. 

If there's anything, it's probably be in the 90C (OCed), but not above 91C.

Looks like there wont be any custom Vegas VII any time soon according to Reddit, someone officialy said it.

At least the 3 fan cooler on this one looks good. Better than the previous blower.

20 hours ago, AlfaProto said:

meanwhile, there's no mention of ray tracing support like Nvidia's RTX counterparts.

1725348290_PhantomGamingXRadeonVII16G(L4).png.8275cfc209813f40b41497ab9efa2b13.png

Dude, there's a glowing R in the corner, unless the damn thing is radioactive is must support Ray Tracing.

What other explanation exists,  also:

5gwo9dcm1rh11.thumb.png.58eac99dd638ff467a72597743d03c70.png

EDIT: forgot to put in the serious bit of my post:

I thought AMD were aiming this at compute and we weren;t likely to see "Gaming" variants on offer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Dude, there's a glowing R in the corner, unless the damn thing is radioactive is must support Ray Tracing.

hahahahaha that was a good one. #RadeonTracing

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

I thought AMD were aiming this at compute and we weren;t likely to see "Gaming" variants on offer.

As far as I know, AMD were never aiming any of their cards for compute, except the RX Flop series, which can't even beat the Titan Xp/V/RTX.

1 hour ago, AlfaProto said:

As far as I know, AMD were never aiming any of their cards for compute, except the RX Flop series, which can't even beat the Titan Xp/V/RTX.

As far as we can see all AMD GCN cards have very good compute power... crypto mining is a good example of that.

RX performed well for gamers and compute alike, and Vega has been very successful for compute workloads.

2 hours ago, AlfaProto said:

amd cards in general not counting the recent tensor cores, have much better compute performance than nvidia, but they are much less optimized for so there are many cases where they perform much worse than they should due to that lack of optimization (its also partly amd's fault, as they dont invest as much in it)

Do we know when the Reviewers will get their cards and when the NDA Lifts?

I thought they weren't going to have AIB partners for Radeon VII? Is this still true because it seems like mostly a stock set up? No actual PCB changes?

But but but.... 

All I want is a taichi card to match my mb

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys.