IE 10 to get the ax

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/29/microsoft_internet_explorer_10/

In a move that will shock no one, IE 10 is getting the ax in 2020, along with Windows 7.  However, unlike Windows 7, MS will not provide any paid support afterwards.

Microsoft has warned that it isn't only Windows 7 for the chop in 2020. Unloved Internet Explorer 10 will be joining it. Finally.

Internet Explorer 10 first appeared back in 2012 and in 2016 Microsoft made a concerted effort to kill the thing by focusing its support efforts on Internet Explorer 11. Anything not Edge-related or without "11" after it would no longer be supported.

MS didn't port IE 11 to every OS, so some systems were forced to continue running IE 10.

However, not every operating system was capable of actually running Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft infamously restricted its Edge browser to Windows 10 (and later iOS and Android). Notable exceptions to the IE 10 crackdown were Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 Embedded.

Microsoft has decided that IE 10 must be stamped out completely. Windows Embedded 8 Standard and Windows Server 2012 will remain supported until 2023 after all, and keeping IE 10 patched for another four years is doubtless keeping the engineers awake at night.

Microsoft has therefore warned that as well killing off Windows 7 in 2020, enterprises that prefer to take a slower path will have to update IE on their 2012 Servers, since IE 10 support will finally end for everything in January 2020.

Seems like MS has finally decided to make 11 available for versions they still support, in order to stop supporting 10.

Over the course of the northern hemisphere's spring, Microsoft will make IE 11 available for Server 2012 admins to play with via the Microsoft Update Catalog and also the Update Service.

You have until 2020 to leave IE 10 behind.

Ah, the Internet Exploder. You're honestly still on some proper legacy crap if you still need it. Even Microsoft's own management consoles are properly working in Firefox/Chrome these days.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Well good. Waste to carry legacy support for such. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Ah, the Internet Exploder. You're honestly still on some proper legacy crap if you still need it. Even Microsoft's own management consoles are properly working in Firefox/Chrome these days.

and even if you need it the IETab chrome extension works well in my experience. 

She/Her

Here in Spain you must use IE for like 80% of any government issue , those applets and crap :( god I hate java.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

8 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Here in Spain you must use IE for like 80% of any government issue , those applets and crap :( god I hate java.

It's ok, the government will pay for for paid support after that day, and then you'll wonder where all your tax money is going.

They know nothing last forever, and they use standards and multi-web browser support, but opted for not too due to poor decision making, and now they'll either just pay Microsoft for support (which isn't cheap) or pay for support and rush release a new system that will 'cause lots of problem and you'll start hearing corruption stories related to this system.

When all said is done, then the company that made it locked down the software for Windows 7 pre-SP1 (or whatever) to have renewal support contract for any OS update.. probably the same story as did the previous company that mad everything locked down to IE10.... if only the government had an in house dev team for governmental software....

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

if only the government had an in house dev team for governmental software....

But you know where every IT degree ( 3 years , 4 now) has java as main language and learn C/C++ as master (1 year more optional) and they hire from their public college, you see like there is a huge problem when chrome cant run your gov. page , then firefox joins the train , now you think those people will fix that by 2020 :S 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

IMO if Chrome can't run your web page properly, you need to fix the web page.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

IMO if Chrome can't run your web page properly, you need to fix the web page.

As I understand it, the article isn't referring to web pages which are publicly accessible.  It's referring to internal tools used in large corporate environments, that may still be reliant on IE 10.

6 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

As I understand it, the article isn't referring to web pages which are publicly accessible.  It's referring to internal tools used in large corporate environments, that may still be reliant on IE 10.

Ya I know, just like the company I work for, I have to use IE over edge or chrome for some tasks. and those should be fixed.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I am glad windows is finally to the point where they are ripping off the band aids. Trying to update and fix things while trying to avoid causing issue with legacy software is why windows has some of the down falls it does. 

This is a very good thing. 

17 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I am glad windows is finally to the point where they are ripping off the band aids. Trying to update and fix things while trying to avoid causing issue with legacy software is why windows has some of the down falls it does. 

This is a very good thing. 

10 has problems with current software so the legacy stuff is the least of their worries(actually the old stuff has less issues than the current ones XD ).

As for axing of IE, dont care that much, win7 even less. Only use it for gaming so im  not that fussed about loosing updates.

never knew there was a 10

last IE I used was the one that came with windows xp, 5 I think

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

It would be better news if they just announced they are axing IE all together.

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

10 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Many MANY banking and property management systems are still relient on IE, even freakin silverlight. 

Sounds like there has never been a time to get into Web App Development. . .

1 hour ago, THraShArD said:

It would be better news if they just announced they are axing IE all together.

They cant. See above.

2 hours ago, aezakmi said:

never knew there was a 10

last IE I used was the one that came with windows xp, 5 I think

IE is like the Land Before Time series. There are way more than you'd have expected if you didn't follow it. 

10 hours ago, Peskanova said:

It's the same here. Every single government service uses IE.

Even for non-government stuff like buying a phone plan or buying a car, you still use IE. 

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

It's the same here. Every single government service uses IE.

Even for non-government stuff like buying a phone plan or buying a car, you still use IE. 

There are a few government websites in the US that are starting to require Firefox or Chrome. I got a 'this browser is not supported' while using IE11 (my go to browser for government sites, because most still use it as the required browser)

They should make it like classic paint, downloadable file off the microsoft store.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, descendency said:

There are a few government websites in the US that are starting to require Firefox or Chrome. I got a 'this browser is not supported' while using IE11 (my go to browser for government sites, because most still use it as the required browser)

That's probably the public facing site though.

It's more common that internal sites, like maybe older SharePoint websites, doesn't work in other browsers. Hell, I am pretty sure even SharePoint 2019 still use ActiveX for some functions, so you may still need to use Internet Explorer for that.