Why is nvidia slowing down my gpu

JoshSigner

So i have tested 2 different drivers

the lastest

and  the basic on that comes with windows

and for some reason 388.13 is a crap ton better\

i thought maybe if i update my driver it would get better performance  but when i opened games and played them on the new driver my fps was 15-10 lower then what it was on the

windows driver and i can't figure out why i don't know if its nvidia or what but i just would like to know. Why

GPU:GTX 1050

CPU I5 3470

RAM:16GB

Sometimes nvidia drivers will set up presets for you graphics settings. This can make it seem like you are getting worse performance when really you just increased the graphical settings and caused a decrease in fps. I would make sure that the in game settings are the same when you do the 2 tests. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Sometimes nvidia drivers will set up presets for you graphics settings. This can make it seem like you are getting worse performance when really you just increased the graphical settings and caused a decrease in fps. I would make sure that the in game settings are the same when you do the 2 tests. 

they have been 

i would go from getting 50-60 fps to

35-50

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

and i don't use geforce experience 

Unless you actually have a need to update drivers, don't update drivers.

Otherwise if you really want to dig deep in this, you have to test every single WHQL certified driver release to find out exactly at which point there's a performance difference. There's been at least a dozen driver releases between the two versions you posted, each with at least a handful of "fixes."

You probably didn't clean install the driver using DDU, or your windows install is old and has problems with the newer drivers.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You probably didn't clean install the driver using DDU, or your windows install is old and has problems with the newer drivers.

my windows install is just over 1 month old 

every time a new graphics card is released the drivers get heavier and use more resources. instead of creating a separate driver installation for EACH graphics card model they just bundle all of them in a single file and everything gets installed

I'd keep the old ones

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

4 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

every time a new graphics card is released the drivers get heavier and use more resources. instead of creating a separate driver installation for EACH graphics card model they just bundle all of them in a single file and everything gets installed

I'd keep the old ones

That is 100% BS.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

That is 100% BS.

Nah it isn't its true... when i notice a difference in fps i think its true and when i reverted the driver my fps went back up so idk what is going on 

2 minutes ago, JoshSigner said:

Nah it isn't its true... when i notice a difference in fps i think its true and when i reverted the driver my fps went back up so idk what is going on 

It's an issue with your OS or driver installation then, not the driver itself.

Consider the fact that there are tens of thousands of other people running the latest driver without issues, so you're the outlier.

Spoiler

Depending on your GPU, the older driver could be ignoring the power limit as well.

I have seen this in some laptops, and to get performance back you can just bump up the power limit.

Already experience this. You did nothing wrong.

It is not the first time that Nvidia rush drivers for their coming up or newly released graphics card to optimize those new graphics card with the popular games, or simply optimize new games, and break optimization or causes issues with older games and/or graphics cards.

Usually, Nvidia tend to fix this with the following drivers after people complain in their forum. See if others have the issue with the same graphics card.

be sure to mention your full system specs, and what games you are playing that have issues.

24 minutes ago, JoshSigner said:

There were like a dozen driver releases between the two versions you posted. If you want to prove your allegations, you'd have to test every single version to see if there's a breaking point between versions or a degradation in performance overall.

34 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That is 100% BS.

sponsored by nvidia

you gotta be fucking kidding me

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

sponsored by nvidia

you gotta be fucking kidding me

Sponsored by squarespace and tunnelbear.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, JoshSigner said:

the lastest

i thought maybe if i update my driver it would get better performance  but when i opened games and played them on the new driver my fps was 15-10 lower then what it was on the

windows driver and i can't figure out why i don't know if its nvidia or what but i just would like to know. Why

CPU I5 3470

Wipe off all your dirty old crappy driver installs with DDU in safe mode and reinstall fresh...you'll see...the latest driver is flawless with my 1080ti

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i think the addition is just new features for newer stuff, like new updates have dlss support and they run games a bit slower, but i also agree with @Brooksie359@Enderman installing new drivers can change a set of setting especially in nividia control panel, and also drivers can just not be great sometimes on your pc , and yeah it can depend on how both of those drivers you tested works with the version of windows you have 

so in essence too many variables to support that conclusion based on that test 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Wipe off all your dirty old crappy driver installs with DDU in safe mode and reinstall fresh...you'll see...the latest driver is flawless with my 1080ti

Okay but you have a 1080ti i have 1050 and it's different with fps and if you had a lower end card and updating the driver lowered your fps i think you would stay with the old driver

7 minutes ago, JoshSigner said:

Okay but you have a 1080ti i have 1050 and it's different with fps and if you had a lower end card and updating the driver lowered your fps i think you would stay with the old driver

No I would first reinstall them fresh by first running DDU in safe mode like I told you ?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 hours ago, JoshSigner said:

the lastest

CPU I5 3470

One logical reason is that 388.13 is pre-Spectre/Meltdown patch driver. It will perform better in CPU intensive games.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 hours ago, JoshSigner said:

It's not..even if you HAVE a 1080Ti,.. you KNOW FPS wise where it should LAND...the ballpark window for Average FPS.
Like you know where your 1050Ti Lands.....FPS wise, because if you didn't know it,.. you wouldn't be here.

All PC owners..over time,.. experience "Base Line" performance degrade slightly due to OS/Driver/Software/System bloating over time.
Cleaning it up, forcing "refreshes" mitigate much of this.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz