Apple introduces a new battery case for their new iPhones.

XR6

Do you think this is a good idea?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you use this on your device?

• Yes
    • No

iPhone battery after playing 1 song be like

Spoiler

1.jpg

my battery after playing music all night because I fell asleep and didn't stopped the playlist

Spoiler

f87f9f67713e989b8ad29da1e06f7753.gif

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

11 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Because the cases themselves kind of negate all that effort put into trying to create the thinnest phone possible. Plus it looks extremely ridiculous compared to non Apple versions.

Not everyone is going to buy the battery case, that’s the whole point. 

When you increase the battery life, you also increase the thickness and the weight of the phone for everyone, even for those who otherwise have no issues with the battery life of their device. You can remove the battery case if you decide you have sufficient battery life and don’t need the added bulk. Conversely, I can’t tear away half the battery of a thicker iphone if I suddenly find it too bulky. 

And while the design of the battery case might seem unorthodox, it’s worth noting that Apple often leaves subtle clues in the design of their products. It’s pretty obvious why they went the way they did with the case. You have a hump so the top remains flexible, all the easier to remove and put it on, plus the battery won’t block the antanne and affect reception. 

There are the little system integrations, like the case automatically charging the phone without you needing to do anything, support for the battery widget, and the charging not triggering features that normally work when your device is charging, such as iCloud Photo Library sync. 

The design is actually pretty clever when you think about it. It may not be worth 3-4 times the price of a typical phone battery case, but it does have numerous small (but nice) refinements that you won’t find anywhere else. 

6 minutes ago, abazigal said:

Not everyone is going to buy the battery case, that’s the whole point. 

When you increase the battery life, you also increase the thickness and the weight of the phone for everyone, even for those who otherwise have no issues with the battery life of their device. You can remove the battery case if you decide you have sufficient battery life and don’t need the added bulk. Conversely, I can’t tear away half the battery of a thicker iphone if I suddenly find it too bulky. 

And while the design of the battery case might seem unorthodox, it’s worth noting that Apple often leaves subtle clues in the design of their products. It’s pretty obvious why they went the way they did with the case. You have a hump so the top remains flexible, all the easier to remove and put it on, plus the battery won’t block the antanne and affect reception. 

There are the little system integrations, like the case automatically charging the phone without you needing to do anything, support for the battery widget, and the charging not triggering features that normally work when your device is charging, such as iCloud Photo Library sync. 

The design is actually pretty clever when you think about it. It may not be worth 3-4 times the price of a typical phone battery case, but it does have numerous small (but nice) refinements that you won’t find anywhere else. 

1. Apple for a while has been on a trend of thinner phones and smaller batteries. Them not making their phones any thinner doesn't increase the thickness and weight of the phone.

2. Even if the battery went all the way to the top, it'd still look ridiculous

3.You'll find third party battery banks that offer the same feature

4. How is the design clever in any way?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

20 hours ago, 1kv said:

I think this is a useless product. It's ugly and it costs too much. It's a temporary remedy. It's like putting a bandaid on the problem. It's not a permanent fix whatsoever.

Conclusion

Another useless product that costs too much.

This is my first tech news thread so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

I've added too much salt. I've ordered three cases. 

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

1. Apple for a while has been on a trend of thinner phones and smaller batteries. Them not making their phones any thinner doesn't increase the thickness and weight of the phone.

2. Even if the battery went all the way to the top, it'd still look ridiculous

3.You'll find third party battery banks that offer the same feature

4. How is the design clever in any way?

It’s clever for all the reasons I just stated above. 

4 minutes ago, abazigal said:

It’s clever for all the reasons I just stated above. 

You never stated what refinements...so how is the design clever?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I've added too much salt. I've ordered three cases. 

That's alright, it's your choice :P 

Just so people know

The XS Max is as thick as a Galaxy S7. The XR is almost as thick as a Galaxy Note8. 

Thinness definitely isn't why the batteries are smaller in capacity compared to the equivalent Android. Smaller Android phones have had bigger batteries for a while. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

27 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Just so people know

The XS Max is as thick as a Galaxy S7. The XR is almost as thick as a Galaxy Note8. 

Thinness definitely isn't why the batteries are smaller in capacity compared to the equivalent Android. Smaller Android phones have had bigger batteries for a while. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the main reason is due to the huge haptic engine.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the main reason is due to the huge haptic engine.

More than that, actually.

Either down to how the interior is packaged or something else alongside the larger-than-usual vibration motor/haptic motor.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

You could buy another phone with that much money.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 1/16/2019 at 10:47 AM, firelighter487 said:

if the answer was always "just make it a bit thicker" at the end of the day you'd have a phone the size of a brick. 

I'm pretty sure putting a battery the size of a brick in a phone would be both dangerous and illegal.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 1/16/2019 at 2:32 AM, 1kv said:

I think this is a useless product. It's ugly and it costs too much. It's a temporary remedy. It's like putting a bandaid on the problem. It's not a permanent fix whatsoever.

Apple should've just made the phone a little bit thicker and put a bigger battery in there.

The longest lasting batteries ever in an iPhone are in all 3 of these iPhone models. A bigger battery isn't going to permanently fix the fact that batteries need to be recharged. 

On 1/16/2019 at 2:32 AM, 1kv said:

If you're looking for a battery case, don't buy this. Buy a mophie juicepack. It's cheaper and looks better. While yes it makes your phone thicker, I would rather a thicker phone than an uglier phone.

Mophie Juicepacks also lack any smart features. As soon as you start charging an iPhone off of one, it acts as if it is being charged off a wall. Meaning heavy background tasks are fired up and the phone wastes more power than it otherwise would or should. These cases are also designed to boost the antennas and not block them, unlike Mophie and other battery cases. 

So while I would personally not buy one of these, they are the best smart battery cases on the market and they are not overpriced. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 1/16/2019 at 3:39 AM, KnoT said:

Create a problem, sell a solution for that problem - Apple

Well, at least they create a solution at all.  It's not like they're Bethesda or EA trying to say "iT's A fEaTuRe!"

I actually think it's a brilliant idea, and I don't think it looks ugly.  Doesn't look much different from the phone cases with card holders on the back. :) 

Still wouldn't buy it, though.  Would never pay $130 for a friggin phone case! ?

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Is it a good idea? Yes, that's why Mophie makes money.

Would I buy a battery case from Apple over Mophie? Nope.

Is that hump ugly? Yes.

Are they fixing their own problem? Yes

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

A bigger battery isn't going to permanently fix the fact that batteries need to be recharged. 

I never said that you'll never need to recharge a battery, I have no idea where you got that from.

So while I would personally not buy one of these, they are the best smart battery cases on the market

They are the best smart battery cases but that's because they're Apple. They purposely integrate all of the cool features into their product so you'll buy it over a 3rd party product.

they are not overpriced. 

That's down to opinion. I personally think £129 for a case is too much, even if it does have those features. I'd pay £75 at most for that case.

The longest lasting batteries ever in an iPhone are in all 3 of these iPhone models. A bigger battery isn't going to permanently fix the fact that batteries need to be recharged. 

Mophie Juicepacks also lack any smart features. As soon as you start charging an iPhone off of one, it acts as if it is being charged off a wall. Meaning heavy background tasks are fired up and the phone wastes more power than it otherwise would or should. These cases are also designed to boost the antennas and not block them, unlike Mophie and other battery cases. 

So while I would personally not buy one of these, they are the best smart battery cases on the market and they are not overpriced. 

Well actually... The 8+  beats both XS variants and original X. The 8 also beats all of those, and the SE beats the XS (while being effectively tied with the og X). No comment on where the XR fits in the spectrum. But I understand your point and don't directly disagree with it.

That video is bullshit btw. Overlooks literally hundreds of potential alternatives, just to feed his own distorted narrative.  Is it the 'best' smart battery case on the market for an iPhone? Probably. It certainly is if Apple explicitly chooses not to allow third party registration to know the device is plugged into a battery pack (yes that is possible. yes it is 100% Apple preventing others not them choosing not to).

I haven't seen RF reviews of this versus other battery packs to talk about the ACTUAL loss or non-loss of signal as a result. Personally, that is something I would very much like to see from reviews, but cases are 'boring' so I'm not sure we will. Until then, claiming it is just 'better for signal' is completely unsubstantiated.

The 'supplemental antenna features for cellular tellephone' thing? Yeah, a passively coupled antenna can literally be built into any case. In fact, it probably would be built into every one if Apple didn't patent what basically refers to a metal strip inside of a case. Or rather "Conductive structures for the antennas may, if desired, be formed from conductive electronic device structures"... AKA the shit already on the board. Which if you look at the teardowns of the OG smart case... is exactly what Apple did. There is no separate antenna element, the 'resonant structure' is simply the power circuitry on the board itself. 

Guess what? That same idea also works for any non-apple charging case. In fact, the only thing this patent actually does is prevent others from advertising the fact that their battery cases might have that side effect as well. The idea that having the battery in the exactly right shape is magical design, doesn't prevent others from doing the same... In fact, it would be asinine to assume they haven't been. You wouldn't want the battery all the way to the edges. That is unsafe (think crushed edges ala Note 7 fiasco). You wouldn't want the battery to go any higher on the phone, as then it would impede the camera. You don't want to design a double pouch battery to fill out that additional space, that would be much more expensive for marginal gains in size, AND since Apple's battery pack, as designed, needs some flex to attach and detach, a dual pouch design would also be unsafe practice.

They are ludicrously overpriced, and the only feature we can confirm they additionally provide is one that Apple intentionally gates away from others. But is it the best battery pack on the market for an iPhone... yeah probably. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

13 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

-snip-

k

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 1/16/2019 at 11:47 AM, firelighter487 said:

if the answer was always "just make it a bit thicker" at the end of the day you'd have a phone the size of a brick.

I guess the answer is instead to sell that extra THICCness back to you in the most antiaesthetic and expensive way possible.

On 1/16/2019 at 4:13 PM, schwellmo92 said:

IThe iPhone SE also had one of the best battery life’s when it released,

Which proves apple is capable of making a phone that lasts longer, without making it a "brick", if they want to.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I never said that you'll never need to recharge a battery, I have no idea where you got that from.

You think the iPhone battery life is too short, the only solutions to that problem are bigger batteries or a battery that never needs to be charged which are simply unrealistic goals. Making the iPhone thicker for a bigger battery also has marginal gains. The XR is one of the thickest iPhones to date and its battery is only an hour better than the XS. 

16 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

yes it is 100% Apple preventing others not them choosing not to).

And how does that change the user experience? The simple fact remains that you can't get another battery case that makes your phone stay in a minimal power consuming state. 

Just now, Sauron said:

Which proves apple is capable of making a phone that lasts longer, without making it a "brick", if they want to.

perhaps. but the SE was just an iPhone 5S chassis with modern internals.

more modern and more power efficient cpu + better battery technology + older thicker chassis = great battery life.

She/Her

Oh, these cases again 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yeah sure, if you are ok with small "low res" screens, with big bezels. 

The iPhone 5SE only had a "good" battery life because of all of those things. Its battery was not massive, it was basically the iPhone 5 battery which was terrible. 

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

perhaps. but the SE was just an iPhone 5S chassis with modern internals.

more modern and more power efficient cpu + better battery technology + older thicker chassis = great battery life.

Obviously not since the 6s had a lower battery life and clearly it's gotten worse, or this wouldn't exist.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*