Apple introduces a new battery case for their new iPhones.

XR6

Do you think this is a good idea?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you use this on your device?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

You think the iPhone battery life is too short, the only solutions to that problem are bigger batteries or a battery that never needs to be charged which are simply unrealistic goals. Making the iPhone thicker for a bigger battery also has marginal gains. The XR is one of the thickest iPhones to date and its battery is only an hour better than the XS. 

Thickest since the iPhone 5C and previous. For reference. And the XS when it launched first was ALSO the thickest since the iPhone 5C.

But yeah .5mm difference, with a thicker back-plate (due to the material change). 10% battery capacity increase. Not sure if the LCD is thicker or thinner than the OLED.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You think the iPhone battery life is too short, the only solutions to that problem are bigger batteries or a battery that never needs to be charged which are simply unrealistic goals. Making the iPhone thicker for a bigger battery also has marginal gains. The XR is one of the thickest iPhones to date and its battery is only an hour better than the XS. 

I don't necessarily think the iPhone battery life is too short. I'm saying that for the price you pay (anywhere from £749 to £1449) these types of battery cases shouldn't need to exist. I'm saying that this case is another unnecessary thing. Unless you're constantly glued to your phone, I see no reason why these should exist. 

I think Apple are just asking people to shell out another £129 for something that 90% of users don't need.

At the end of the day, it's down to opinion. Everybody can decide on if they like something or not. 

1 hour ago, 1kv said:

I think Apple are just asking people to shell out another £129 for something that 90% of users don't need.

And those 90% of people won't buy it. Very simple.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Honestly if Apple sell so many of these that its a sucessful product, that tells me their is room in the market for an iPhone XL and just make it have the same spec with double the battery size it might be a slightly thicker phone.

But there is always a market for people who know that 24 hours isn't enough battery for them.

People run around with Plus models knowing they are nearly tablets in their pocket, they take the trade off for the bigger screen.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

13 minutes ago, Maticks said:

Honestly if Apple sell so many of these that its a sucessful product, that tells me their is room in the market for an iPhone XL and just make it have the same spec with double the battery size it might be a slightly thicker phone.

But there is always a market for people who know that 24 hours isn't enough battery for them.

People run around with Plus models knowing they are nearly tablets in their pocket, they take the trade off for the bigger screen.

I mean I'm running around with an s9+, and actually recommend devices of that size to people most of the time. It makes the device dramatically more usable for things like reading books, and the battery life gain from plus sized models is very awesome. The biggest downside becomes if you are a woman who doesn't sew actual pockets into your clothing, but even then, most normal phones are of a size where that becomes annoying.

I wouldn't go much bigger though, since that then becomes an accessibility problem.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

While this is a stimulating conversation this subject is not News.

Its a revision of an old product with no new features or design, just re-release for the new model of phone.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

One thing I don't get though.

Why are they insisting on the hump design when it was countlessly ridiculed when it was first released for the iPhone 6s?

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

One thing I don't get though.

Why are they insisting on the hump design when it was countlessly ridiculed when it was first released for the iPhone 6s?

Notice how the design has barely deviated since the iPhone 6 as well? That's why you're not seeing the design changed. They really don't have much of a design team at all right now (either that or they are utterly oblivious).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Notice how the design has barely deviated since the iPhone 6 as well? That's why you're not seeing the design changed. They really don't have much of a design team at all right now (either that or they are utterly oblivious).

I'll just get the Mophie one tbh, if I really had to choose.

I'm sorry, but that hump is just so awkward, especially on something that has a bitten apple on it

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Since Apple updated the design and is selling it then people are buying the case, it's that simple. All of the "but my phone lasts all day i don't care this isnt news" comments doesn't mean a phone lasts all day for everyone, and perhaps some want their phone to go for more than a day without plugging it in.