Robert Schellenberg sentenced to death

Canada EH

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/canadian-man-robert-schellenberg-sentenced-to-death-in-china/news-story/10ab044308812ba23f47185c5f640cec

He was convicted over a plan to smuggle meth into Australia and sentenced to jail. But now Chinese authorities have made a drastic decision.

People think that their own government will save them when they break the law in another country, I dont think they realize what the punishments are when they do the crime. Reading the news article, it was just a plan, but the law is the law. It is some interesting chess moves China is playing, but I'd love to see what laws are on the books for planning to smuggle then can determine from there. Planning to life in prison to death is still quite extreme. It is sad that it has gotten to this stage.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

A Chinese court has sentenced a Canadian man to death in a sudden retrial in a drug smuggling case that is likely to escalate tensions between the countries over the arrest of a top Chinese technology executive.

The court in northeastern Liaoning province announced that it had given Robert Lloyd Schellenberg the death penalty after rejecting his plea of innocence and convicting him of being an accessory to drug smuggling.

The court said it found that Schellenberg was involved in an international drug smuggling operation and was recruited to help smuggle more than 222 kilograms of methamphetamine from a warehouse in Dalian city to Australia in pellets stuffed inside car tyres.

But Schellenberg claims he is innocent, telling the court, according to Canadian media:

“I am not a drug smuggler. I am not a drug user. I am a normal person. I am innocent.”

Schellenberg was detained more than four years ago and initially sentenced to 15 years in prison in 2016. But suddenly last month, an appeals court agreed with prosecutors who said the sentence was too lenient, and scheduled Monday’s retrial with just four days’ notice.

I am sorry to see a great Canadian drawn into international games. Why dont they do it to American citizens instead of great Canadians!

I do not have any business in China so I have no plans to visit. I hate crowds! But I do mind eating new foods, but asian foods are not my strong suit. Monkey eyeballs or pigs hoof/snout or whatever. Canada should have just let that Huewi exec go, and just confiscate her two houses in Vancouver.

I don't think any crime should have include life in prison. But this? It's like deciding on the best route to speedrun Super Mario World and Nintendo comes in and speedruns you into jail-time. 

Does this mean anyone doing counterplanning for companies should go to jail because they're likely to plan crimes as they develop counters?

China:

Keep him, we don't want to spend money on incarceration.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

China:

We really do not know the details of this case, nor will we ever. Prisons in asia are over crowded and dirty, you are crammed into a 10'x10' room with 100 people. I doubt he is getting special treatment now since the exec in is cush canadian prison. I've seen on TV that foreign prisoners in asian can generally pay for comfort.

Gotta remember this canadian was arrested 2 years ago!

Of course they are going to claim innonence, especially on a 15yr sentence, but what they are hoping for is a prisoner swap.

Canada is now a pawn.

His 15 years sentence was "too lenient", for a crime he hadn't actually committed yet(it was just a "plan"?), meaning DEATH is obviously the proper punishment for simply planning to smuggle drugs, right?

This is obviously done in reprisal against Canada for arresting Huawei's CFO, even though this whole situation started by the demand of the Americans.
... The US is like the bad friend who makes you lose all your other friends because they are such assholes that nobody wants to associate with you anymore until you kick them out of your life.

Now the best way to retaliate against China's bullcrap, would be for Canadian and US companies to move their manufacturing away from China's cheap labour, in favor of other cheap labor countries like India or Bangladesh. Hurt them where it will hurt the most... Politic ain't fixing shit. Money is what moves the world.

Though if I were to be honest here.... I couldn't give two shit what happens to this guy, especially if what he was arrested for is legitimate. Drugs ruin people's lives, fuck him. 
I'm mainly worried that this set a trend for the other Canadians who were arrested on frivolous charges after Huawei's CFO was arrested

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

44 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I think the Chinese need to wake up and overthrow their government. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I think the world needs to wake up and overthrow their governments. 

Edited for accuracy :P

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Wasn´t surprised by your statement when I looked at your location ? 

8 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Law is the law which means it is deserved.

i against death sentence in any form, and that man is merely a piece in xi's colouring book.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

37 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Law is the law which means it is deserved.

Is that really your opinion? In some countries homosexuality is punishable by death. Does that mean homosexuals in those countries deserve to die?

If you ask me, the law is not infallible. It is in my opinion often times wrong. Especially when talking about... "less developed counties", at least in the area of human rights and freedoms.

8 hours ago, TetraSky said:

The US is like the bad friend who makes you lose all your other friends because they are such assholes that nobody wants to associate with you anymore until you kick them out of your life.

Calling China ever a "friend" is a good way to get stabbed in the back. China never was nor will it ever be our friend. The interest differ far too much for that.

23 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Is that really your opinion? In some countries homosexuality is punishable by death. Does that mean homosexuals in those countries deserve to die?

If you ask me, the law is not infallible. It is in my opinion often times wrong. Especially when talking about... "less developed counties", at least in the area of human rights and freedoms.

It's one thing to say they deserve to die and it is a completely other thing to just factually observe that it is the law in those countries.

This is an rather extreme example and it is pretty easy to determine here that this is not "just". But most cases are not like that.

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

hows that brexit working for ya? ^^

Wonderfully, Liverpool actually has a plan to seperate it's self from the UK and fuck off into the Atlantic.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

1 minute ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Wonderfully, Liverpool actually has a plan to seperate it's self from the UK and fuck off into the Atlantic.

Oh I love island hopping, might pay you guys a visit this summer then :D 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

19 minutes ago, NeuesTestament said:

It's one thing to say they deserve to die and it is a completely other thing to just factually observe that it is the law in those countries.

This is an rather extreme example and it is pretty easy to determine here that this is not "just". But most cases are not like that.

Read the post I was quoting again. It literally says that if it's the law, then you deserve it.

Ergo, if the law is that homosexuality is punishable by death, then homosexuals in those countries deserve to die.

I agree that you can point out that something is illegal in some countries, but to argue that someone deserves to die because "it's the law" is not a solid argument.

10 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Oh I love island hopping, might pay you guys a visit this summer then :D 

XD In all seriousness though, am done with the UK now. Give it a year and I'll probably start looking at emigrating. I love Liverpool but hate the UK.

I mean. Its cheaper, but idealy the maximum prison sentance should be no more than 21 year (regardless of crime commited). If the person is then fit for society he can leave. 

This is cheaper than life in Prison. Death sentance is the cheapest though....... (Depending on the roi time on the guy who reentered society is)

I dont really want to touch on the geopolitical play going on. 

10 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I am sorry to see a great Canadian drawn into international games. Why dont they do it to American citizens instead of great Canadians!

It probably has nothing to do with current 'International Games' aka the trade war, more likely China just has a fucked up legal system where they would kill someone for drug smuggling

22 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

AND NO, MOVING THE PRODUCTION TO INDIA/TAIWAN/WHEREVER WON'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM

I mean I don't think it's going to happen necessarily but I think it would in part solve the problem. Isn't the reason for Chinas' prosperity due to having lots of cheap labour available and the West making use of that cheap labour to produce cheap goods? 

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

1 hour ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

XD In all seriousness though, am done with the UK now. Give it a year and I'll probably start looking at emigrating. I love Liverpool but hate the UK.

it's crazy what the brits have to put up with right now.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

57 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

it's crazy what the brits have to put up with right now.

Too right, lost faith years ago.

11 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

better start now, otherwise London is going to eat your city up o_o

And you're not wrong, i can see the country becoming fractured, each city running independently. North Vs South has never been stronger and it's only going to get worse.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

i was making a mortal engines reference, just to disclaim myself ,_, sorry

No, I failed you. I've failed LTT forums, but more importantly i think i failed myself. Feelsbadman

11 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Kinda hard to do with a disarmed populous.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i failed you for misguiding you to believe i made a serious observation ,_, (although I kinda should look into a few world events closely)

To be fair i don't blame you for not taking it seriously, our government isn't so why should you XD

Sorry mods i'll stop being politcal now :P

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

I mean. Its cheaper, but idealy the maximum prison sentance should be no more than 21 year (regardless of crime commited). If the person is then fit for society he can leave. 

This is cheaper than life in Prison. Death sentance is the cheapest though....... (Depending on the roi time on the guy who reentered society is)

I dont really want to touch on the geopolitical play going on. 

Not sure about how it's in China, but in the US it is usually more expensive to sentence someone to death than to just keep them alive in prison.

It is very, very, expensive to sentence someone to death because of the more throughout legal process, more expensive lawyers, drawn out legal process etc. Especially since people sentenced to death usually stay in prison for years upon years before being executed (if they ever get that far before the verdict changes, or they are found innocent).

A trial for someone getting time in prison as a sentence is something like 200,000 to 400,000 dollars. Most of the cost of prisons are static that doesn't change much if you add more people (things like power and guards). Food is really cheap too, so with very little money you can keep a prisoner alive for years upon years.

To get someone executed usually costs between 2 to 3 million dollars in the US.

51 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Kinda hard to do with a disarmed populous. 

I doubt weapons would do much good. If people are willing to go so far as to shoot against each other, then the government has tanks and airplanes. A Chinese citizen with a handgun vs the military with tanks... Not going to end well for the citizen.