AT&T's 5G network goes live on the 21st of December but only to select 12 cities

captain_to_fire
10 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Screenshot (87).png

Screenshot (88).png

Let me guess. That Aussie speed test was on Telstra's network.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Let me guess. That Aussie speed test was on Telstra's network.

From what I can see, They do it from the tests for each carrier, then average it out

✨FNIGE✨

1 hour ago, SlimyPython said:

From what I can see, They do it from the tests for each carrier, then average it out

Yep, I'm sort of surprised our average is getting up that high since there's still a lot of people on ADSL2+ stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

This is our standard speed for typical UFB plans here though.

7896585278.png

So if you can get it the difference in extremes is rather large, you're either stuck on 3-12 Mbps or 900+ Mbps. There are some cheaper capped 100Mbps plans though but hardly anyone bothers with those when for $10 more per month you get 1Gbps and unlimited.

12 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The early adopters tax at it's finest. 

I guess that’s how AT&T will do ROI on rolling out a 5G network 

14 hours ago, Kochiha Ichihara said:

Depending on which 5G architecture ends up getting used, I hear there's a couple in concurrent development.

It’s still unacceptable that the frequency they’re using (39 GHz) has so much bandwidth to spare and yet cap the data to a measly 15GB and charge $70/month. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

any benchmarks?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

18 minutes ago, williamcll said:

152Mbps and 431Mbps, that is not impressive at all.

It looks like AT&T rebranded their existing LTE network as 5GE and the legit 5G

is not achieving promised speeds. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/att-5g-goes-live-this-week-with-ridiculously-overpowered-hotspot/ 

As for the network, AT&T is annoyingly muddying the waters with its 5G branding. It's going to start calling its existing 4G LTE network "5G E" where the "E" stands for "evolution." Its real 5G network, the mmWave one, will be called "5G+," referencing the higher frequency of a mmWave network.

This is not the first time they did this. Years ago, they labeled their 3G network HSPA+ as 4G though they’re not the only ones doing it. https://www.cnet.com/news/is-the-at-t-iphone-4s-a-4g-phone-or-not/

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

18 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

It looks like AT&T rebranded their existing LTE network as 5GE and the legit 5G

is not achieving promised speeds. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/att-5g-goes-live-this-week-with-ridiculously-overpowered-hotspot/ 

This is not the first time they did this. Years ago, they labeled their 3G network HSPA+ as 4G though they’re not the only ones doing it. https://www.cnet.com/news/is-the-at-t-iphone-4s-a-4g-phone-or-not/

Why am I not surprised? From what I can gather AT&T's deployment of 5G technology is purely to be the 'first at 5G' so people will think "hey, AT&T has the first 5G network, therefore it should be the best 5G network, right?".

My current network (Vodafone) are planning to deploy 5G in some parts of the UK but again, I doubt it is truly what 5G can achieve since they seem to be deploying it as soon as they can. I feel sorry for anyone in the future who has to use their '5G' network as from my experience, even their 4G is a terrible excuse of a network if you're outside of a big city (e.g. London, Manchester, Glasgow). I used to get ~115Mbps down on 4G+, now I can barely achieve 40Mbps down in the same spot with the same amount of signal with 4G+.

Besides, it's 2018. Still early stages. My previous network didn't even deploy 4G until late 2013/early 2014 so this whole 5G thing seems like it's ahead of it's time for the moment. It's a good idea but it's still too soon. 

Can't wait for these folks complain when their speed tanks or connection degrads to 4G speeds because of the weather or when they travel out of the range.

The range at best does only 2 meters indoor and 300 meters (for the rest that uses miles: 0.186411 mile) outside.  ?

ArsTechnica actually did an article a bit about 5G: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/dont-buy-a-5g-smartphone-at-least-not-for-a-while/

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

22 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

>70$

>15GB

>500$ hotspot

Excuse me but: what the F?

still nearly half the price of what we pay in canada.