Samsung shows of their mobile phone design direction in 2019, and it's HUGE

Bouzoo

Rip Notchy McNotchface

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

20 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

still doesn't grab my attention

They should fix their sh$t and release software that does not draw half the battery or more over the day itself without using it much. And also make their phones last longer than 2 years...

People should use newer phones with Experience and not touch wiz to stop this BS about bloated software and slowing down. My S8 is almost 2 years old at this point and runs just as fine or even snappier than the day I bought it. 

Their software is holding up better than most other manufactures now including Google. On my S8+ and unplug at 7am and by the time I leave work at 5pm my battery is at 90%. I have also had a Note 3 and 4 and cannot say the same. Samsung has really improved their software because they are actually listening. 

20 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Introducing the Galaxy S12:

Under Screen Camera

Under Screen Finger print reader

No physical buttons

No physical speakers

No USB port
No headphone jack

IP68+ resistance ratings.

Tag me in 8-16 months when I'm right.

and foldable??? that would be some shit

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Some pretty interesting stuff coming forth. Not too sure how I feel about the sound, but the other aspects I'm all for. Though, I'd like to see how they do the camera. 2021 will be a good year for phones...can't wait for all the bitching about how they all look alike, how people want their legacy jack back, and how screens with big bezels are better 9_9

20 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Introducing the Galaxy S12:

Under Screen Camera

Under Screen Finger print reader

No physical buttons

No physical speakers

No USB port
No headphone jack

IP68+ resistance ratings.

Tag me in 8-16 months when I'm right.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's true. Especially with wireless charging now being as fast as wired.

You're timeline is off though, you'd be waiting like 24+ months to find that out ?

19 hours ago, Commodus said:

Please don't get your hopes up, folks.

This is Samsung Display, not the company's mobile division.  You're seeing what technology the OEM part developer is making, not necessarily a Galaxy S10 roadmap.  I wouldn't be surprised if you saw some of this (certainly the fingerprint reader) in the S10, but you're likely going to have to wait for a while to satisfy that tech forum fetish for eliminating even the hint of a bezel.

With that all said, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I'd say it's almost more interesting coming from Samsung Display than Samsung Mobile; there's a much larger chance of seeing it in some device in the near future with anyone being able to purchase them, and not waiting for Samsung only.

19 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Samsung has confirmed the (I think) 3rd gen ultrasonic in screen fingerprint reader in S10, so that is happening. Honestly, for the rest, I think S11 is more realistic. Or Note 10 at least. 

If the screen is actually able to produce sound, directly into you, at decent quality at least, instead of the small front and bottom speaker, wouldn't that improve it?

Not if it works like the current options where everyone around you can hear your call...

Until they fix that aspect, I have no interest in such technologies. I'll probably get stuck using mid tier phones while they iron that out.

18 hours ago, DaPhuc said:

Noooooooo. Don't get rid of the headphone jack!!!!!!!!! 

Samsung should maintain their headphone jack because that will going to boost their reputation as a last player in the smartphone industry to carry the headphone jack.

Rumor has it the S10 or Note10 will be the first to drop it. Must suck to be part of the vocal minority :(

20 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

They should fix their sh$t and release software that does not draw half the battery or more over the day itself without using it much. And also make their phones last longer than 2 years...

Even my Note5 had no such issues. One of the best phones I've ever used.

Their phones last longer than 2 years. Not sure why you'd think they don't. My moms S5 still works flawlessly.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Rumor has it the S10 or Note10 will be the first to drop it. Must suck to be part of the vocal minority :(

I'm pretty sure they won't. That rumor has been around for every Samsung gen after iPhones dropped the jack. It's an annual thing. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, VegetableStu said:

.... I just put two and two together o_o

Samsung's trying to miniaturise this o_o so there'd be an LED display with R-G-B subpixels and holes beside them over the camera

(although they would make what's effectively a permanent ND filter o_o but imagine the holes have an LCD layer underneath for variable ND (or even to hide the camera completely))

If they can achieve that, without the holes, they'd be regarded as kings. 

49 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Even my Note5 had no such issues. One of the best phones I've ever used.

Their phones last longer than 2 years. Not sure why you'd think they don't. My moms S5 still works flawlessly. 

same problems as linus - battery draining without doing anything, and I even have like 10 apps installed, Whatsapp and some very light things like a metronome, and still using much of the battery itself.
And my current S5 mini didn't turn on once shortly after i bought it, now display goes bad on lowest brightness level on the bottom fifth (flickering and much brighter than the rest of the screen), 2 S3 minis died on me suddenly, an s4 mini of a friend decided to die on the same matter, my father has problems with his with strange software behaviour (he has even less software installed than I have), the gps on my mothers s3 mini stopped working, so on, so forth.
On all devices problems start after 1-1,5 years and die after 2,5 -3 years

so no, thank you, samsung, you won't get my money anymore.
And no, software resetting to delivery state didn't fix anything.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's true. Especially with wireless charging now being as fast as wired.

No it isn't?

The fastest wireless charging I've seen is on the Mate 20 at 15W. Coincidentally the very same phone charges at 40W wired.

Just now, Trixanity said:

No it isn't?

The fastest wireless charging I've seen is on the Mate 20 at 15W. Coincidentally the very same phone charges at 40W wired.

This years Pixel's wireless stand charges at the same speed as the last Pixel's wired.

Sure, you could go and find phones with superchargers and claim it doesn't, but that's an erroneous way to look at it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

20 minutes ago, dizmo said:

This years Pixel's wireless stand charges at the same speed as the last Pixel's wired.

Sure, you could go and find phones with superchargers and claim it doesn't, but that's an erroneous way to look at it.

I have never seen that tested. You got a source? I mean by laws of physics that should be impossible.

32 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

No it isn't?

You mean Mate 20 Pro? Mate 20 doesn't support wireless. Mind you there are few phones that support 15W fast wireless charging, like the LG V30, but I reckon Huawei will destroy it. Apparently Huawei has a 20W wireless charger but it wasn't confirmed if the Pro can actually utilize it fully. 

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Ah, so taking one phone with slow wired charging and therefore concluding wired and wireless charges at the same speed is correct but looking at the phone with the fastest wireless charging that has over twice as fast wired charging is completely wrong. Got it. 

I guess we should conclude that wireless is actually faster because the iPhone doesn't ship with a fast charger so if you buy the wireless charger you should get more wattage. I mean Apple moves the most flagship units in many countries so it's the most representative. 

53 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

You mean Mate 20 Pro? Mate 20 doesn't support wireless. Mind you there are few phones that support 15W fast wireless charging, like the LG V30, but I reckon Huawei will destroy it. Apparently Huawei has a 20W wireless charger but it wasn't confirmed if the Pro can actually utilize it fully. 

Obviously meant the Pro. The regular model is limited to the old 22.5W charger as well. Huawei really did their best to gimp it to push people towards the Pro for that sweet sweet green.

The only number I've seen listed for wireless is 15W so I'm not sure where you're getting 20. However it's still half the wattage of wired.

7 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

The only number I've seen listed for wireless is 15W so I'm not sure where you're getting 20. However it's still half the wattage of wired.

That's the assumption based on a leaked image of the apparently new Huawei charger, and everyone jumped the bandwagon. 

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Huawei really did their best to gimp it to push people towards the Pro for that sweet sweet green

even if the 20X is the better device. 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 10/20/2018 at 12:58 AM, 19_blackie_73 said:

it does last more than 3 years, what are you talking about? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

26 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

it does last more than 3 years, what are you talking about? 

at least not the around 10 devices me and my friends and family owned. And all of us care about their devices and don't throw them around

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

2 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

at least not the around 10 devices me and my friends and family owned. And all of us care about their devices and don't throw them around

what devices are you talking about? my Wave 2 got 2 OS upgrades, my S3 got 3 OS upgrades, my S7 edge which i am using now has gotten 3 OS upgrades and i am on Oreo right now, can you be more specific? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

13 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

what devices are you talking about? my Wave 2 got 2 OS upgrades, my S3 got 3 OS upgrades, my S7 edge which i am using now has gotten 3 OS upgrades and i am on Oreo right now, can you be more specific? 

S3s, various S3 Minis, S4 Mini, S5 Mini

Speaking of my S3 Mini, suddenly died without doing anything

Speaking of my S5 Mini, 2 months after I bought it, it didn't turn on, all data lost, now the display controller is funky (lowest fifth of the screen cannot dim to minimum brightness and flickers), battery draining issues (even with new battery and reset of the os and very little apps), sometimes random lockups.

the other phones above had the same battery draining issues

the s4 mini died suddenly too, the s3 disintegrated itself

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

1 hour ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

S3s, various S3 Minis, S4 Mini, S5 Mini

Speaking of my S3 Mini, suddenly died without doing anything

Speaking of my S5 Mini, 2 months after I bought it, it didn't turn on, all data lost, now the display controller is funky (lowest fifth of the screen cannot dim to minimum brightness and flickers), battery draining issues (even with new battery and reset of the os and very little apps), sometimes random lockups.

the other phones above had the same battery draining issues

the s4 mini died suddenly too, the s3 disintegrated itself

Thats weird I haven't had any issue with my Samsung phones.  S3 lasted me to hell and back I replaced the battery once and worked great.  If I charge it up now it still turns on.  My S8+ which I've had for almost two years now still works great no screen cracks or issues.  Maybe I'm just lucky?

4 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Thats weird I haven't had any issue with my Samsung phones

I'm pretty sure he's lying through his teeth because otherwise he'd have nothing to say.

Without turning to some Kyocera models, the CAT branded phones, and similar, Samsing phones have been some of the longest lasting pieces of hardware with the bulk of peoples issues with older o es being a heavily used battery.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'm pretty sure he's lying through his teeth because otherwise he'd have nothing to say.

Without turning to some Kyocera models, the CAT branded phones, and similar, Samsing phones have been some of the longest lasting pieces of hardware with the bulk of peoples issues with older o es being a heavily used battery.

Actually I'd agree with him on S3 mini. Friends S3 mini died for no apparent reason. On mine the home button and screen started malfunctioning badly. S3 is a different story afaik. Both were just outside 1 year warranty at the time. 

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, I'm not lying.

At least four (!) samsungs from the mini series died on me or my friend suddenly. It MAY be better with the non mini phones, but I PERSONALLY don't have any trust left in samsung and their phones and/or software.

Maybe I hadn't much luck or I don't know, but fact is that I had not only one bad experience with their phones.

Other family members have software issues themselves.

I highly advice you to not make such bold statements and offend other people, because experience a particular brand can be vastly different. Some people have more luck, some people had bad luck. Maybe your experience is different, but mine is bad. When I'm home I happily send you a picture of my dying s5 mini screen.

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

15 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

I'm not lying

You're lying about something. If it's not about phones lasting under normal conditions, then you're lying about those phones not being abused.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 10/19/2018 at 3:17 PM, Sauron said:

Can't say I care at all to be honest. None of this makes my usage experience any better.

Honestly if this stops the notch trend then I am 100% satisfied.