Leaked Google Document shows the shift towards Censorship

rcmaehl
Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Reminder to keep this non-political

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:
  1. Not a democracy.
  2. Democracy is cannot be healthy. It is mob rule and mob rule us inherently evil.

Arguing poltical semantics is something he would have turned around and complained about anyway.  +1 though.

12 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well i guess the quote "you either die as a hero or live nog enough to see yourself become the villain" is once again true...

Not really. Google's "Don't Be Evil" schtick is a sign they already were evil, but they just wanted to try to think otherwise.

As for the topic, there's a reason massive Anti-Trust moves are bubbling up.

The issue isn't Curation. The issue is actual censorship to meet political ends. Some is government directed, while others is politically tribal in nature. Though the Social Media companies tend to do the classic "but I didn't do that!" play by having their staff, off the record, inform politically aligned groups with how to abuse their systems. This can let the company claim they aren't doing anything but Curating, but they let their allies run hog-wild abusing systems. They'll offer the occasional apology, but they use the diffuse political networks to launder the actual dirty work.

It's an effective system of displacing blame, but the constant collusion moves aren't as well hidden. The entire industry constantly acts in illegal anti-competitive ways, which is why they'll have lost most of their broad political cover. 

Ah yes, this is one of those cases in which people from all over the political spectrum will complain Google censors them and their political affiliations specifically.

Here's a hint: The only political affiliation a giant corporation like Google has is whomever lets them make the most fucking money. So if somebody waved a magic wand and transform the US into an absolutist totalitarian state Google would shift to hail their comrades and praise their mighty leader in a heartbeat.

So take that for what is worth: Google wants the perception of neutrality while throwing any and all political leanings under the bus if it gets them more money.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Ah yes, this is one of those cases in which people from all over the political spectrum will complain Google censors them and their political affiliations specifically.

Here's a hint: The only political affiliation a giant corporation like Google has is whomever lets them make the most fucking money. So if somebody waved a magic wand and transform the US into an absolutist totalitarian state Google would shift to hail their comrades and praise their mighty leader in a heartbeat.

So take that for what is worth: Google wants the perception of neutrality while throwing any and all political leanings under the bus if it gets them more money.

This.

Was about to comment the same thing. People need to understand that companies could care less about political views. It's the money that matters at the end of the day.

3 hours ago, Evanair said:

This is the difference between a public forum and that of a publisher. There are a ton of protections for a public forum, where as a publisher has responsibility for things it puts out to the world.

Google enjoys the freedom of a public forum, as they aren't responsible for their users content.  If they become arbiters of information and are no longer a public forum, they lose their protection.

It's a fine line they are trying to walk and it could bite them in the ass legally

Actually many world governments are trying to (and or doing) holding google responsible for its content. And that's why this comes up.

People like to think that tech companies prefer to filter content. I don't know it you all realize how stupid that is. Their entire business model is based on letting whatever people want to see/read/find be found. Google loves money much more than it cares if you want to watch Breitbart. Censorship directly hurts their business, and that's why they are constantly dragging their feet on it. 

These same tech companies are being forced to take responsibility for their content by world governments, and that's the only reason why they are acting at all in these cases.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I stand by my view that the internet should have absolutely no censorship at all and companies should stand down and take a hands off approach with the exception of illegal things on the internet. The internet should allow people to voice their opinions without fear of being censored. The moment to you sensor one thing you start down a very dangerous path that will without a doubt lead to large scale censorship by governments or even people who dislike your opinions. 

Come on guys. This comes from breitbart . you cant' be taking this seriously.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Google is known the be the NSA data center no. 1, so I'm not wondering at all that they now want to take a bigger part in censorship.

12 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Come on guys. This comes from breitbart . you cant' be taking this seriously.

it really doesn't matter the source because Google confirmed it's existence.

17 hours ago, Somename said:

*snip*

breitbart is a cesspool of stupid ideas and paranoia .In many countries what they do legally cannot be called news. Just look at a typical comment section on the site and you'll see exactly what i mean.

As far as i'm concerned anything they touch is tainted .

And no . I don't watch/read cnn or fox . Despite what some specific group of people might think , not everything that isn't an "alternative media" outlet is fake news.

I don't give a sh*t about political bias here. I'd treat something from the enquirer , palmer report or patribiotics exactly the same.

Edited by wkdpaul

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

it really doesn't matter the source because Google confirmed it's existence.

fair enough . I do actually intend to read the document ( or at least part of it ) . But as mentioned , it's an internal presentation .

The idea that this is some roadmap for control of the internet still seems dubious at best , paranoiac at worst.

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

fair enough . I do actually intend to read the document ( or at least part of it ) . But as mentioned , it's an internal presentation .

The idea that this is some roadmap for control of the internet still seems dubious at best , paranoiac at worst.

there are 2 different things where, one is the actual news, the other is the tone the publications give to it. Learn to separate the two.

The document is real, the conspiracy is just that, some guys opinion of the facts, form your own opinion. 

Personally i didn't liked its existence even if i agree in some cases censorship is needed, like having pedophiles doing their thing.

Guess why I ditched Google basically entirely and started using alternative options that work just as good and don't sell your private data to the highest bidder...

Which makes me wonder, why the hell are people still using Google? What are they afraid of or do they just don't know any better?

36 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Guess why I ditched Google basically entirely and started using alternative options that work just as good and don't sell your private data to the highest bidder...

Which makes me wonder, why the hell are people still using Google? What are they afraid of or do they just don't know any better?

I know Apple is a bit iffy with what they do with their data, but frankly I trust Apple a bit more than Google with that sort of stuff...

I wanna ditch Google as soon as I can, the iPhone XR is looking promising.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I know Apple is a bit iffy with what they do with their data, but frankly I trust Apple a bit more than Google with that sort of stuff...

I wanna ditch Google as soon as I can, the iPhone XR is looking promising.

That was my idea. Until I've seen absurd iPhone prices. Cheapest Xs is 1200€. That's just absurd, I'm not gonna pay freaking 1200€ for a phone. Maybe the XR, which will probably be 1000€. But for this money I get top of the line Xiaomi Mi's. Two actually which will both be about the same spec wise. It's just this frigging lame choice of cheaper Android with zero privacy or Apple with what I assume is better privacy policy, but ridiculous prices. I value my privacy, but 1000€ smart phone is absurd for any kind of smart phone.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That was my idea. Until I've seen absurd iPhone prices. Cheapest Xs is 1200€. That's just absurd, I'm not gonna pay freaking 1200€ for a phone. Maybe the XR, which will probably be 1000€. But for this money I get top of the line Xiaomi Mi's. Two actually which will both be about the same spec wise. It's just this frigging lame choice of cheaper Android with zero privacy or Apple with what I assume is better privacy policy, but ridiculous prices. I value my privacy, but 1000€ smart phone is absurd for any kind of smart phone.

As a baseline, but ya gotta add tax and import and what not.

u5jbof.png

Yeah, we really do need a third player to come into the market or Apple needs to keep decent but cheaper iPhones around.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I see no reason why Apple would do that given how people throw any money they ask for their devices on every launch... Which is why they are reaching stupid pricing levels now.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

unfortanetly there is no viable alternative to Google (the search engine). 

You can use iOS but that's just changing one evil for another.

16 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's just this frigging lame choice of cheaper Android with zero privacy or Apple with what I assume is better privacy policy, but ridiculous prices. I value my privacy, but 1000€ smart phone is absurd for any kind of smart phone.

Look for phones that have Lineage OS support.  Android phones on custom ROMs are pretty secure as long as the ROMs don't come with the Google Apps preinstalled.

For a full list, see the left column on Lineage's download page : https://download.lineageos.org/

I don't know if I'm more worried about Google's evilness or its stupidity. The latter can often be more dangerous than the former...

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Did you, though? You don't watch Youtube anymore? No android phone either? No third-party "powered by Google" services? Only visiting 100% tracking-free sites?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your intentions, but ditching Google is easier said than done. You may be done with Google, but unfortunately that doesn't mean Google is done with you.

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

You're making the assumption that Google is run by Capitalist for monetary objectives. YouTube has lost upwards of 10 billion USD and likely still runs at a loss. Everything but AdWords & AdSense losses money for Google/Alphabet. Their objectives, while already have a cartel in Search, are clearly beyond basic monetary aspects.

Power, Money & Control. They have the Money already, this is about Power & Control. And it's exactly why the backlash will be severe.