Is it considered weird to wear headphones in public?

ToastyBlyat
Go to solution Solved by bleedblue,
3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I see people do it all the time. Ive seen them wear them while driving :| ( Which is illegal by the way). 

I have all the information I need. Heading to the cops.

6 hours ago, ToastyBlyat said:

I get made fun of in school for wearing headphones and everyone else is using earbuds. People say it makes me look poor. I use Skullcandy btw

I see people do this all the time. Why do headphones, which are generally more expensive than ear buds, make people look poor? Why should you care what people think anyway?

On 10/23/2013 at 7:07 PM, prolemur said:

I get made fun of in school for wearing headphones and everyone else is using earbuds. People say it makes me look poor. I use Skullcandy btw

On 10/23/2013 at 8:07 PM, prolemur said:

I want to know this because generally I don't see many people at all that wear them, all people wear are ear buds which I find extremely uncomfortable.

by in public I mean in a non social location such as walking down the road or on a train

I don't want to come off as a douchebag

"hey look at me, I care about sound quality, I'm so unique and cool!" etc

like what the people who wear beats think of themselves

I see people do it all the time. Ive seen them wear them while driving :| ( Which is illegal by the way). 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If they make fun of you for the kinds of headphones they’re retarded. 

If they make fun of you FOR wearing headphones on your ears, that’s a different story. 

I've split this off into a new thread since that's better than necroing one from 2013

That's unfortunate and ridiculous.  First off, it's not weird at all.  Second, headphones vs earbuds indicate nothing about wealth, and if they did, odds are if you're going through the hassle of carrying around headphones it's because you care about audio are got something good instead of whatever $10 garbage came with your phone, so I'd say their assumption is backwards.  But, none of that matters anyway because who cares if you are poor or not.  That's a stupid thing to make fun of your for and they're clearly immature.

Edit: Just, don't wear them like this, or that would be a reason to make fun of you :P  Unless they're M50x's, then that might be a good way to control the treble... xD

image.png.af8d8a707cb096f5ac8f12f26b1ed090.png

I don't think it is, you just need to be able to hear the environment around you.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I have all the information I need. Heading to the cops.

I see people do this all the time. Why do headphones, which are generally more expensive than ear buds, make people look poor? Why should you care what people think anyway?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Personally I've gotten a lot of interested looks whenever I'd wear my ATH-M50X headphones in public, like at my university's library or somewhere where I'd be sitting for a while studying.

I hate earbuds with a passion and they are much worse for your ears than regular headphones, so if someone makes fun of me for not wearing them then I'll just tell them to stuff it. Also imo earbuds just look cheap, even Beats garbage.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Who cares what people wear in public, whichever is more comfortable for them, go ahead!

Personally, I use earphones when I'm on the move on the bus or walking somewhere, and use headphones when I'm in the library or somewhere where I know I'll be there for an extended period of time.

I like my music so whichever way is more convenient for my head is the best for me, I don't mind what the public thinks because at the end of the day, it's my music listening experience and they people who look at me (which is rare, mind you) are none of my business anyway.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I wear my Sony XB950N1's everywhere, they're huge and clunky but hey my music sounds amazing. Since I've started wearing mine to school, more people have started to also. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Man, high school can be brutal when you are not wearing socially acceptable stuff xD

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I sorta have this same "issue", due to weak skin on the ears i can't use IEMs or earbuds, so i use my headphones when i get out.

It doesn't help that my headphones are big and weird looking (JVC Ésnsy HA-SR85S) so people tend to look a bit sideways, but i try not to care, at least i have my music in high fidelity with them on.

And make you look poor? What even is this argument? Headphones are generally more expensive than earbuds.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't think it is, you just need to be able to hear the environment around you.

In California it is for sure. I watch Stanley Roberts of Kron 4 news on YouTube. He rides with the California Highway patrol, they have issued tickets for this. Most people I see have ear buds in, those block your hearing. So yeah its illegal. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

My friend keeps telling me I look like I have toothbrushes in my ears with my airpods. Can't make everyone happy :P 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

In California it is for sure. I watch Stanley Roberts of Kron 4 news on YouTube. He rides with the California Highway patrol, they have issued tickets for this. Most people I see have ear buds in, those block your hearing. So yeah its illegal. 

This really doesn't clarify if headphones are explicitly illegal, or just ones that block your hearing (and also anything else that does that)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Not weird at all, I know I guy who carries a goddamn bluetooth speaker

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I wore my Sennheiser HD598 SE's in public until I got a pair of Panasonic RP-HJE125-K ($8 earbuds). My headphones were open so I could hear everything around me and it was easier for others to hear what I was listening to, meanwhile these earbuds have noise cancellation so I can focus on my music in more loud places. I also feel more comfortable not lugging around expensive headphones, and the earbuds look much nicer when I wear them. I never brought headphones or earbuds to high school, but I didn't even get a smart phone until my last year of high school. Usually when I see people wearing headphones, they're beats- and they wear them as a fashion statement I imagine. Also, Skullcandy is not a good brand. If you're concerned about looks just pick up some earbuds, they're more portable too.

23 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This really doesn't clarify if headphones are explicitly illegal, or just ones that block your hearing (and also anything else that does that)

Headphones are explicitly illegal.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

No it's not weird, it's just that they aren't particularly discreet, people will take notice.

People are dicks.

I almost never wear earbuds because they're not as good as headphones. Though I don't walk around outside wearing them much because I drive, and just use Bluetooth and the Audio-In USB.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I hate most people so I intentionally wear circumaural headphones.  Its even more unapproachable and obvious.  Plus, even if you hear them you can REALLY pretend you didn't.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

16 hours ago, ToastyBlyat said:

Isn't fun a good thing? And what people say is of their own imagination. This doesn't make it true to everyone. It's just their perspective. Wear spaghetti noodles next time. People will say different things.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Headphones are explicitly illegal.

Well that seems silly to me and I would doubt that's true