Proton, Valve's rumoured "Linux compatibility" tool has been released into the Steam client!

pipnina
Just now, pipnina said:

What are your graphics card & driver, distro, time of install/experience of user? I could foresee this being due to driver problems if you are on nvidia and have not switched to 396 (the minimum requirement set by steam for this feature).

RX Vega 64 and using the open source drivers (CPU: 4670k). Ubuntu Mate 18.04.1  x64, idk what "time of install/experience of user?" supposed to mean... :$

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

-snip-

SShhhh... You are trying to talk sense that doesn't glorify how Great and Excelent only $119 costing ($199 if you really want to use it) operating system is (it's so Good that they could ask twice the price and it would still be cheap). Can you understand how many hard earned euro squirrle belts went to get that Glorious piece of software that includes Direct User Feedback System® that doesn't need any other user input than only using the Great Operating System. They also include The Best programs with the Operating System, like a Media Player that can only use the best possible formats and Paint software that only includes what real computer artists really need. [/s :D]

But real it's about a time that someone actually did something and brought the gaming to the Linux. I can finally really start to think removing this piece of excrement called Windows 10 that has awfully Apple like setting panels without the real settings, start menu )for which really tells everything that the original was designed by a guy who used to design shoeboxes), Edge (do I need to say more). Except I really can't because Guitar Rig 4 and ReValver 4, with WINE you get latency (through ZOOM G5n and/or Line6 TonePort GX) which is bad and alternatives are way far behind (probably in the open source limbo, they can't make them better because no funding and no one wants to fund them because the software isn't on a par with the competition). But time will tell, if Valve is able to shift majority of games to Linux as they are, probably quite many gamers follow (at least if Microsoft is to aim their shotguns to their own kneecaps and continue even thinking about Windows starting to be a monthly fee OS) and with that probably many companies rethink their stance about developing their software for Linux (the old catch 22 would finally come to an end).

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

RX Vega 64 and using the open source drivers (CPU: 4670k). Ubuntu Mate 18.04.1  x64, idk what "time of install/experience of user?" supposed to mean... :$

Just wanted to know if you were relatively experienced or just jumped into it recently.

Valve recommends that AMD users have Mesa 18.2.x installed for playing DOOM 2016. I would run `dpkg --list | grep mesa` in the terminal and see what version you have. You are on 18.04 so I might expect your version to be fairly recent.

2 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Just wanted to know if you were relatively experienced or just jumped into it recently.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4mkjx6qytr9ys6/IMG_20180822_205522.jpg?dl=0

14 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Valve recommends that AMD users have Mesa 18.2.x installed for playing DOOM 2016. I would run `dpkg --list | grep mesa` in the terminal and see what version you have. You are on 18.04 so I might expect your version to be fairly recent.

ii  libegl-mesa0:amd64         18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  amd64     free implementation of the EGL API -- Mesa vendor library
ii  libegl-mesa0:i386          18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  i386      free implementation of the EGL API -- Mesa vendor library
ii  libegl1-mesa:amd64         18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  amd64        transitional dummy package
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64      18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:i386       18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  i386         free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64      18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  amd64        transitional dummy package
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx:i386       18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  i386         transitional dummy package
ii  libglapi-mesa:amd64        18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  amd64        free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
ii  libglapi-mesa:i386         18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  i386         free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
ii  libglu1-mesa:amd64         9.0.0-2.1build1                     amd64        Mesa OpenGL utility library (GLU)
ii  libglu1-mesa:i386          9.0.0-2.1build1                     i386         Mesa OpenGL utility library (GLU)
ii  libglx-mesa0:amd64         18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  amd64    free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX vendor library
ii  libglx-mesa0:i386          18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  i386     free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX vendor library
ii  libosmesa6:amd64           18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  amd64        Mesa Off-screen rendering extension
ii  libosmesa6:i386            18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  i386         Mesa Off-screen rendering extension
ii  libwayland-egl1-mesa:amd64 18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  amd64        implementation of the Wayland EGL platform -- runtime
ii  libwayland-egl1-mesa:i386  18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  i386         implementation of the Wayland EGL platform -- runtime
ii  mesa-utils                 8.4.0-1                             amd64        Miscellaneous Mesa GL utilities
ii  mesa-va-drivers:amd64      18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  amd64        Mesa VA-API video acceleration drivers
ii  mesa-vdpau-drivers:amd64   18.1.6-1~b~padoka0                  amd64        Mesa VDPAU video acceleration drivers

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Ah, it would seem you have 18.1 installed, but they say you need 18.2. This seems like a possible cause (although I could launch DOOM despite being on 390 and not 396 like they said so maybe it is not?).

I have never had to install alternative Mesa drivers before, so I'm not sure exactly what to recommend with getting newer ones besides google :/

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

-_-

Electron is actually a thing already. It's a framework for building cross-platform apps and it's what Discord, WhatsApp Desktop, Atom, VS Code and other stuff use.

Oh, sh#t! 

Umm...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Well good luck, all i get is a fatal error:

Configured log listener print-redirect tags
Added structured log listener print-redirect
Added structured log listener mp-cloud-gobbler
2018-08-22T20:11:40.088+02:00 LOG: Process started
Added structured log listener aws-kinesis-logger
Winsock Initialized
------ Initializing File System ------
Current search path:
    - C:/users/steamuser/Saved Games/id Software/DOOM/base/
    - Z:/mnt/Games/Steam-Linux/steamapps/common/DOOM/base/
------ File System initialized.
------ Command Line ------
 Z:\mnt\Games\Steam-Linux\steamapps\common\DOOM\DOOMx64.exe
2018-08-22T20:11:40.092+02:00 LOG: Command Line: Z:\mnt\Games\Steam-Linux\steamapps\common\DOOM\DOOMx64.exe
------ CPU Information ------
    1 CPU package, 4 physical cores, 4 logical cores
    4500 MHz    Intel CPU with MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 & SSSE3 & SSE41 & SSE42 & AVX
    32768 kB 1st level cache, 262144 kB 2nd level cache, 6291456 kB 3rd level cache
    32112 MB System Memory
initializing resource container gameresources.resources
initializing resource container gameresources.patch
idLib::SetProduction( PROD_PRODUCTION )
------- Initializing renderSystem --------
PreliminaryRenderSetup
---registered window class
---registered fake window class
---registered context window class
X..WGL_EXT_swap_control_tear not found
unknown error: 0x578
FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed
Dumped console text to C:\users\steamuser\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM\base\ErrorLog_08-22-2018__08-11-40pm.txt.

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed

Yeah, I go that too. I had to update my Mesa drivers which got me to boot the game in OpenGL. I got errors again when switching to Vulkan so I updated Vulkan too.

Now I'm running the game smooth as silk. Max settings, 1440p 60FPS locked on my Ryzen 1600 and Vega 56. The only weird thing is that I can't bump the resolution up to 2160p.

23 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Ah, it would seem you have 18.1 installed, but they say you need 18.2. This seems like a possible cause (although I could launch DOOM despite being on 390 and not 396 like they said so maybe it is not?).

I have never had to install alternative Mesa drivers before, so I'm not sure exactly what to recommend with getting newer ones besides google :/

Its already from a non-ubuntu repo(that is why you see  "~padoka0" at the end of the version number). If i were using the ubuntu repo for it the output would look like this:

ii  libegl-mesa0:amd64                         18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        free implementation of the EGL API -- Mesa vendor library
ii  libegl1-mesa:amd64                         18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        transitional dummy package
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64                      18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64                      18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        transitional dummy package
ii  libglapi-mesa:amd64                        18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
ii  libglu1-mesa:amd64                         9.0.0-2.1build1                     amd64        Mesa OpenGL utility library (GLU)
ii  libglx-mesa0:amd64                         18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX vendor library
ii  libwayland-egl1-mesa:amd64                 18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        implementation of the Wayland EGL platform -- runtime
ii  mesa-va-drivers:amd64                      18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        Mesa VA-API video acceleration drivers
ii  mesa-vdpau-drivers:amd64                   18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        Mesa VDPAU video acceleration drivers

On 8/22/2018 at 12:33 PM, RorzNZ said:

Not true and WINE uses a layer over metal. 

No it really doesn't... In terms of graphics, Wine uses a compatibility layer called WineD3D which converts Windows Direct3D 6/7/8/9/10/11 calls into OpenGL. That's it. That's all. That's how Wine works on the graphics side. WineD3D is implimented as a Direct3D DLL that games use instead of the standard Windows ones.

There are 3 other projects totally seperate from Wine itself for other graphics layers:

• VKD3D is an official project by codeweavers, the people who made Wine, that converts Direct3D 12 calls into Vulkan. Nothing Metal related. The intent is to merge it into Wine when it's finished, but it's not currently part of Wine.
  • DXVK is a project of doitsujin who may be working for/with Valve(?). It impliments Direct3D 11 on top of Vulkan and as of last week added support for some of Direct3D 10 as a wrapper onto D3D11. Nothing Metal related.
  • VK9 is a fairly early in development project by another standalone author, Disks86, which aims to impliment D3D9 on top of Vulkan. It's progressing really slowly but coming together slowly but surely. Again though, Vulkan, nothing Metal related.

None of these 3 projects are part of Wine though and they need to be acquired and set up seperately.

There's also some projects that pair with these 3 new Vulkan layers such as:

• DXUP by Joshua Ashton which is a wrapper that upgrades Direct3D 10 calls to Direct3D 11. This was a seperate early design that led to DXVK's D3D10 support and still has some pros and cons vs the native support in DXVK for now.
  • D3D9-to-11 by Gabriel Majeri which is a wrapper that upgrades Direct3D 9 calls to Direct3D 11. It's still in early development and is much more complex than DXUP so is still a bit out. It'll allow DX9 games to leverage DXVK for Vulkan performance. It's also useful on Windows if Microsoft ever drops DirectX 9 support in Windows.
  • D3D8-to-9 by crosire which is an older layer that upgrades Direct3D 7/8 games to Direct3D 9 for use on Windows Vista and newer. Once D3D9-to-11 is done this can be layered with that and DXVK, and used alongside VKD3D, to give Vulkan support for DirectX 7,8,9,10,11, and 12.

Notice none of those use Metal either. They all are from one version of DirectX to another, and are only useful to Wine if layered with DXVK and each other.

The *only* time Metal comes even remotely into the picture with Wine is if you're using MoltenVK (Itself a Vulkan to Metal converter) to run DXVK on top of Wine. So you go from the game in Wine > Direct3D > Vulkan via DXVK > Metal via MoltenVK. And that's only if you manually set it up because Nobody at Codeweavers, Valve, or any of the third party devs (Doitsujin, Disks86, Gabriel Majeri, or crosire) are going out of their way to support MacOS right now.

On 8/22/2018 at 1:39 PM, jagdtigger said:

On 8/22/2018 at 2:46 PM, jagdtigger said:

Its already from a non-ubuntu repo(that is why you see  "~padoka0" at the end of the version number). If i were using the ubuntu repo for it the output would look like this:

ii  libegl-mesa0:amd64                         18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        free implementation of the EGL API -- Mesa vendor library
ii  libegl1-mesa:amd64                         18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        transitional dummy package
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64                      18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64                      18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        transitional dummy package
ii  libglapi-mesa:amd64                        18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
ii  libglu1-mesa:amd64                         9.0.0-2.1build1                     amd64        Mesa OpenGL utility library (GLU)
ii  libglx-mesa0:amd64                         18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX vendor library
ii  libwayland-egl1-mesa:amd64                 18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        implementation of the Wayland EGL platform -- runtime
ii  mesa-va-drivers:amd64                      18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        Mesa VA-API video acceleration drivers
ii  mesa-vdpau-drivers:amd64                   18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1             amd64        Mesa VDPAU video acceleration drivers

Right in the beta announcement they listed driver instructions if you have issues. They suggest using the driver branch from paulo miguel dias's new PPA.

AMD/Intel

Linux users with AMD or Intel graphics cards should install recent versions of Mesa and LLVM through this repository: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/mesa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386

Provide your user password when requested and reboot after the last command completes to ensure the driver has updated correctly.

In addition, AMD users that want to play VR games should also add this repository: https://launchpad.net/~kisak/+archive/ubuntu/steamvr4pk

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kisak/steamvr4pk
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install linux-generic-steamvr-18.04

VR is not currently supported on Intel graphics.

P.S. if anyone is using a distro other than Ubuntu, Debian, or Fedora you may run into crashes with some games since they're using esync Wine and you may run out of allocated File Descriptors since some Distros only allow a few hundred and esync can create a few thousand for some games. If you run into problems the fix is the first part of the tutorial at this link to change the max file descriptors for your user: https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-Esync

18 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

No it really doesn't... In terms of graphics, Wine uses a compatibility layer called WineD3D which converts Windows Direct3D 6/7/8/9/10/11 calls into OpenGL. That's it. That's all. That's how Wine works on the graphics side. WineD3D is implimented as a Direct3D DLL that games use instead of the standard Windows ones.

There are 3 other projects totally seperate from Wine itself for other graphics layers:

• VKD3D is an official project by codeweavers, the people who made Wine, that converts Direct3D 12 calls into Vulkan. Nothing Metal related. The intent is to merge it into Wine when it's finished, but it's not currently part of Wine.
  • DXVK is a project of doitsujin who may be working for/with Valve(?). It impliments Direct3D 11 on top of Vulkan and as of last week added support for some of Direct3D 10 as a wrapper onto D3D11. Nothing Metal related.
  • VK9 is a fairly early in development project by another standalone author, Disks86, which aims to impliment D3D9 on top of Vulkan. It's progressing really slowly but coming together slowly but surely. Again though, Vulkan, nothing Metal related.

None of these 3 projects are part of Wine though and they need to be acquired and set up seperately.

There's also some projects that pair with these 3 new Vulkan layers such as:

• DXUP by Joshua Ashton which is a wrapper that upgrades Direct3D 10 calls to Direct3D 11. This was a seperate early design that led to DXVK's D3D10 support and still has some pros and cons vs the native support in DXVK for now.
  • D3D9-to-11 by Gabriel Majeri which is a wrapper that upgrades Direct3D 9 calls to Direct3D 11. It's still in early development and is much more complex than DXUP so is still a bit out. It'll allow DX9 games to leverage DXVK for Vulkan performance. It's also useful on Windows if Microsoft ever drops DirectX 9 support in Windows.
  • D3D8-to-9 by crosire which is an older layer that upgrades Direct3D 7/8 games to Direct3D 9 for use on Windows Vista and newer. Once D3D9-to-11 is done this can be layered with that and DXVK, and used alongside VKD3D, to give Vulkan support for DirectX 7,8,9,10,11, and 12.

Notice none of those use Metal either. They all are from one version of DirectX to another, and are only useful to Wine if layered with DXVK and each other.

The *only* time Metal comes even remotely into the picture with Wine is if you're using MoltenVK (Itself a Vulkan to Metal converter) to run DXVK on top of Wine. So you go from the game in Wine > Direct3D > Vulkan via DXVK > Metal via MoltenVK. And that's only if you manually set it up because Nobody at Codeweavers, Valve, or any of the third party devs (Doitsujin, Disks86, Gabriel Majeri, or crosire) are going out of their way to support MacOS right now.

Wine is different on MacOS then Linux. 

7 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Wine is different on MacOS then Linux. 

https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS

No it's not. It's built from the exact same sources and implimented the exact same way.

Heck Wine on MacOS doesn't even support DirectX 10/11 via WineD3D because Apple's OpenGL implimentation is so totally broken: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30051  If you want DirectX 10 or 11 support on MacOS you *have* to use DXVK and MoltenVK.

Edit: And no. There are no plans to fix this because it's a MacOS bug, not a Wine bug.

4 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS

No it's not. It's built from the exact same sources and implimented the exact same way.

Heck Wine on MacOS doesn't even support DirectX 10/11 via WineD3D because Apple's OpenGL implimentation is so totally broken: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30051  If you want DirectX 10 or 11 support on MacOS you *have* to use DXVK and MoltenVK.

Edit: And no. There are no plans to fix this because it's a MacOS bug, not a Wine bug.

It is really nice information you are giving me, and I do appreciate it, but the way OpenGL works now is as a layer over metal in MacOS itself, in Mojave. So OpenGL is depreciated and no longer used. So what I really mean to say is the application itself as a layer over metal. It's more how Apple are arranging their implementation rather than a fault of Wine. However you still do get similar performance between MacOS and Linux with WINE applications. 

52 minutes ago, Daiyus said:

Now I'm running the game smooth as silk. Max settings, 1440p 60FPS locked on my Ryzen 1600 and Vega 56. The only weird thing is that I can't bump the resolution up to 2160p.

Nice.  I may give a go at seeing how some games run on my setup.  Don't have any AMD cards, just Nvidia ones.  So, hopefully the 396 driver will play nicely.

If all goes well, I may finally buy DOOM and play it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Hm, I'm not sure what the problem might be then. It could be a hardware specific bug or simply that you need the 18.2 and you have 18.1. I can't say as I know the solution but hopefully it is resolved soon :) 

Great news.

When and if it's polished enough, I might actually make the switch to Linux.

Even if Linux is slightly annoying to use(God damn Terminal, why won't you die!? freaking elitists...), I wouldn't have to worry about a lot of Windows garbage anymore(go to infected website, suddenly you're mining Monero for some twat).

Especially if Microsoft really does move forward to fuck over their Windows users, by making it a subscription based OS, like some rumors would want us to believe. (Single biggest mistake MS would do if it's true)

Would just need better driver support ...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

It is really nice information you are giving me, and I do appreciate it, but the way OpenGL works now is as a layer over metal in MacOS itself, in Mojave. So OpenGL is depreciated and no longer used. So what I really mean to say is the application itself as a layer over metal. It's more how Apple are arranging their implementation rather than a fault of Wine. However you still do get similar performance between MacOS and Linux with WINE applications. 

That's how OpenGLES is implimented on iPhones but there's no similar case on MacOS. It's done this way because it simplifies the driver situation for Apple. They however don't do the drivers for MacOS and AMD, Nvidia, and Intel all share a driver base between all three Kernals/OSes.

On MacOS OpenGL is handled by the graphics drivers and is exposed to applications via an API called CGL (Core OpenGL) that links the Quartz Windows system, Drivers, and applications. This is equivalent to WGL (Wiggle) on Windows, GLX (OpenGL Extensions for the X Window System) on X11, or EGL on Wayland and is the layer that is horribly outdated and broken. The drivers technically support OpenGL 4.1 on many of the newer Macs, but you can't leverage many of those features because CGL gets in the way.

And if you seriously think you get similar performance with Wine on MacOS and Linux on the same Machine try running Doom 2016 in both and you'll see a *massive* difference, particularly if you use an esync build of Wine. Like in my case on my Cousin's Macbook Pro it was the difference between kind of playable and not at all.

First go, Bejeweled 3 (not Bejeweled 2).  Installed and fired up with no issues so far.

Info on my setup in case others curious.

Mint Mate 18.3 with Kernel 4.17.11

Nvidia Driver 396.51

GPU: GTX960 FTW

CPU: 1900X

Don't have a big SSD on this setup so can't go super crazy installing games.  It is usually my crunch rig, but I may go test out some more.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

When and if it's polished enough, I might actually make the switch to Linux.

That's a long wait.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Even if Linux is slightly annoying to use(God damn Terminal, why won't you die!? freaking elitists...), I wouldn't have to worry about a lot of Windows garbage anymore(go to infected website, suddenly you're mining Monero for some twat).

That affects Linux and MacOS users too. It's doing it with Javascript/Wasm/WebGL, so it's OS independent.

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Would just need better driver support ...

What do you mean? Linux drivers are a bajillion terms better than they were even 2-3 years ago. Particularly on the graphics side where there are several Windows games that now run faster in Wine than in Windows itself. Wireless drivers are the one sticking point but only with "free software only" distros like Debian and Fedora. As long as you stick to a user friendly Distro like Ubuntu even that's normally not a problem.

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

That's how OpenGLES is implimented on iPhones but there's no similar case on MacOS. It's done this way because it simplifies the driver situation for Apple. They however don't do the drivers for MacOS and AMD, Nvidia, and Intel all share a driver base between all three Kernals/OSes.

On MacOS OpenGL is handled by the graphics drivers and is exposed to applications via an API called CGL (Core OpenGL) that links the Quartz Windows system, Drivers, and applications. This is equivalent to WGL (Wiggle) on Windows, GLX (OpenGL Extensions for the X Window System) on X11, or EGL on Wayland and is the layer that is horribly outdated and broken. The drivers technically support OpenGL 4.1 on many of the newer Macs, but you can't leverage many of those features because CGL gets in the way.

And if you seriously think you get similar performance with Wine on MacOS and Linux on the same Machine try running Doom 2016 in both and you'll see a *massive* difference, particularly if you use an esync build of Wine. Like in my case on my Cousin's Macbook Pro it was the difference between kind of playable and not at all.

That was previously the case but not now. On my Mac I get similar numbers to my Linux build, which is similar. You can't actually run Linux on the new MacBooks so IDK how you can compare on a modern setup. 

11 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

God damn Terminal, why won't you die!? freaking elitists...

Its not as bad as you seem to think... :D And it wont die any time soon since servers are relying on that way too much ;) .

12 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

That was previously the case but not now. On my Mac I get similar numbers to my Linux build, which is similar. You can't actually run Linux on the new MacBooks so IDK how you can compare on a modern setup. 

https://gist.github.com/roadrunner2/1289542a748d9a104e7baec6a92f9cd7

You can get it working. It's not great. It's not pretty. And a ton of stuff doesn't work. But it does get accelerated video.

Do you have a source for them using a OpenGL to Metal conversion layer? I can find absolutely nothing to support that and it makes no sense since there's literally 0 incentive for Apple to put in a ton of work developing a compatibility layer for something they're depreciating. There was talks that they might do so in the future if they lock off CGL to avoid killing their back-catalogue.

And again nothing about putting OpenGL on top of Metal magically makes it faster. If anything it makes it slower because you need to convert all the API calls and do all the shader conversion on the CPU before just handing them off to the GPU Driver like you would with OpenGL. There's work into making an OpenGL implimentation on top of Vulkan but it's certainly not for better performance.

10 hours ago, pipnina said:

I played Mass Effect 1 on WINE before Proton, worked about as well as the Windows version.

I struggled to get ME2 working, mostly because of origin. Eventually I found a working configuration and played the game like it would otherwise run on Windows.

I couldn't get ME3 working at all, because whenever I launched the game the always-online DRM check would fail >:( had to boot into windows for that one...

EA hard at work ruining gaming for everyone as usual.

The ME1 and ME2 you currently have are the ones on Steam, I assume?

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Fiddle with Audiosurf.  So far it runs pretty good.  Just, it thinks there is a C drive.  O.o

Otherwise, it sees the other drives and my external and had no issue running music from that.  Ran fairly smooth too considering it is just running on a GTX960 on 1440P.

Could not get Waves to work though.  Seem to be an issue with the .NET Framework it needs.  May fiddle with that one later or up channel that issue.

Off to see what other games will run.