I just got my first sound card

EPICSNIPER145

I'm extremely disappointed in many of the members in this thread.

There's nothing wrong with helping a user, but doing so in a condescending manner goes against the principles of this community in a way that bothers me very deeply.

Think before you post, people. Is what you're saying for the benefit of the OP, or is it to inflate your own ego and make them feel small and stupid?

If the purpose is to educate people, do you really think being mean to them will make them listen to you?

Shame.

low quality bait

....bait snap....

OH SNAP I FAIL

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

There's nothing wrong with helping a user, but doing so in a condescending manner goes against the principles of this community in a way that bothers me very deeply.

Think before you post, people. Is what you're saying for the benefit of the OP, or is it to inflate your own ego and make them feel small and stupid?

If the purpose is to educate people, do you really think being mean to them will make them listen to you?

Shame.

I think it is because the OP spoke in a way as if he refuses to accept the truth,that might be the reason for the hostility going on here.

I think it is because the OP spoke in a way as if he refuses to accept the truth,that might be the reason for the hostility going on here.

Also consider people do get defensive about their products, its a natural human tendency. Amusingly enough, telling a person they're wrong only reinforces their belief, no matter how far fetched it is. 

Also consider people do get defensive about their products, its a natural human tendency. Amusingly enough, telling a person they're wrong only reinforces their belief, no matter how far fetched it is.

True,they will find ways to prove others wrong.

OMG i realized some comments have been modified...

I modify mine since I have a reading/writing disorder and make a spelling mistake of some flavor every post. 

I modify mine since I have a reading/writing disorder and make a spelling mistake of some flavor every post.

I mean the "Helping"'s one i liked...

I mean the "Helping"'s one i liked...

He is a creditable individual, though I am willing to cut him slack since he took the brunt of it, and for what I could infer got heated. No one here could claim to type fast and accurately while upset.

He is a creditable individual, though I am willing to cut him slack since he took the brunt of it, and for what I could infer got heated. No one here could claim to type fast and accurately while upset.

I actually mean the phrasing of the words lol,at first the comment is a bit offensive i think.

Who cares. What truth? The Xonar DG is an excellent value at $30. It does what it says it does, puts an amped headphone out in your PC. The OP said as much!

OP: "...and the sound card is great for making my headphones a lot louder..."

@Matsy replies with something about how the OP is trolling, and then proceeds to say:

That's the AMP on the soundcard, nothing else.

It just boosts the volume.

This can be persevered as "better quality" by people, but its not.

K... The OP said it makes it louder, you said it makes it louder. I'm not sure why there's any condescension at all here because apparently EVERYONE AGREES.

Another issue is this: To everyone recommending O2 or even E10s... They are not in the same price range AT ALL. All that's being done here is pointless crapping on someone else's parade without a SINGLE ONE OF YOU having ACTUALLY offered a comparable solution. Again, shame on you all.

This is true, but people also get defensive when they feel like they are under attack. The tone of many posts in this thread is very terse and "holier than thou". If you don't want defensiveness, try being kind... The OP's first post is just a happy "yay I'm enjoying this purchase" post, so this doesn't look like a case of "he started it" to me.

OMG i realized some comments have been modified...

Not by me. If people are covering their tracks it won't help. I've already read through this entire thread.

EDIT: To be clear I'm aware of the Fiio E6, which would be a comparably priced, and possibly better solution. The problem is that no one else brought it up.

Another MAJOR issue here is that no one even asked the OP what onboard sound he has. Sure on a well designed, modern motherboard, onboard audio pops, crackles, and other nonsense is pretty much resolved. What if the OP is running a board that is 3+ years old. Given that this is a PCI sound card we're talking about that seems like a possibility don't you think?

I've got boards that age that have OBVIOUSLY worse onboard audio than a cheap sound card. In that case, the $30 Fiio won't help the OP's microphone in, so if a full system upgrade just to achieve better sound isn't an option, maybe a $30 sound card is a great solution. But NO ONE ASKED...

Edited by LinusTech
further problems with the attitude in this thread added to the bottom... Man I'm pissed...

This is true, but people also get defensive when they feel like they are under attack. The tone of many posts in this thread is very terse and "holier than thou". If you don't want defensiveness, try being kind... The OP's first post is just a happy "yay I'm enjoying this purchase" post, so this doesn't look like a case of "he started it" to me.

I am by no means above any of this, I for the most part enjoy it. But one thing I don't do (generally) is incite a riot. But something I pride myself on is tactfulness, I've called you out before, but in the least offensive way my vocabulary and mood can allow. I for the most part treat you like everyone else here, and for the most part the underlying tone goes right over their heads resulting in a point proven and the mood mostly peaceful. 

@Matsy replies with something about how the OP is trolling, and then proceeds to say:

K... The OP said it makes it louder, you said it makes it louder. I'm not sure why there's any condescension at all here because apparently EVERYONE AGREES.

The trolling comment was in response too:

"i was very skeptical that it would make my sound better and i made the jump and it sounds a lot better""

and

"I got the asus xonar dg and it is f**king amazing there is soo much of a difference between my onboard audio and my sound card and it is loud."

and

"why i notice a huge difference"

The OP claiming the sound is better, as-well as being louder and kept doing it and seemed very bitter about it.

He didn't say JUST louder till later on in the thread, he was claiming the sound was better AS-WELL as being louder.  People tried to correct him but it wasn't sinking in about the louder volume giving the illusion of better sound.

Hence I said, to try to show the OP the truth of the situation

He then said

that is true about the louder thing . but i wanted to make my headphones louder and it was $30

and I replied back

As long as you understand that is all its doing, making the volume louder.

This was more of a miscommunication than anything else as the OP seemed unwilling to acknowledge what was really going on...

Yes there is allot of hostility in this thread and people recommending much more expensive things for some reason or another.....

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Who cares. What truth? The Xonar DG is an excellent value at $30. It does what it says it does, puts an amped headphone out in your PC. The OP said as much!

OP: "...and the sound card is great for making my headphones a lot louder..."

Another issue is this: To everyone recommending O2 or even E10s... They are not in the same price range AT ALL. All that's being done here is pointless crapping on someone else's parade without a SINGLE ONE OF YOU having ACTUALLY offered a comparable solution. Again, shame on you all.

Not by me. If people are covering their tracks it won't help. I've already read through this entire thread.

EDIT: To be clear I'm aware of the Fiio E6, which would be a comparably priced, and possibly better solution. The problem is that no one else brought it up.

Another MAJOR issue here is that no one even asked the OP what onboard sound he has. Sure on a well designed, modern motherboard, onboard audio pops, crackles, and other nonsense is pretty much resolved. What if the OP is running a board that is 3+ years old. Given that this is a PCI sound card we're talking about that seems like a possibility don't you think?

I've got boards that age that have OBVIOUSLY worse onboard audio than a cheap sound card. Should the OP simply upgrade the whole machine to get better sound or is a $30 sound card a potentially better solution.

the truth of buying something unnecessary,something like that.Making sound louder can be achieved through software as well.

for the edit part,if he have an ac97 motherboard,his main priority is to upgrade the entire system as it is too old.

Shame.

Welcome to 99% of the threads where the word "soundcard" is mentioned 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

the truth of buying something unnecessary,something like that.Making sound louder can be achieved through software as well.

for the edit part,if he have an ac97 motherboard,his main priority is to upgrade the entire system as it is too old.

That is where you are wrong, for people with an older computer would actually benefit from the product.

Making the soundcard more cost effective then a whole system upgrade.

Wow, I was only responding to the people using outdated tests and techniques to prove something that isn't entirely true. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Wow, I was only responding to the people using outdated tests and techniques to prove something that isn't entirely true. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Your tonality, or methods weren't offensive, and anyone that become offended shouldn't have. 

The trolling comment was in response too:

"i was very skeptical that it would make my sound better and i made the jump and it sounds a lot better""

and

"I got the asus xonar dg and it is f**king amazing there is soo much of a difference between my onboard audio and my sound card and it is loud."

and

"why i notice a huge difference"

The OP claiming the sound is better, as-well as being louder.

He didn't say JUST louder till later on in the thread, he was claiming the sound was better AS-WELL as being louder.  People tried to correct him but it wasn't sinking in about the louder volume giving the illusion of better sound.

Hence I said go try to show the OP the truth of the situation

He then said

and I replied back

This was more of a miscommunication than anything else as the OP seemed unwilling to acknowledge what was really going on...

Yes there is allot of hostility in this thread and people recommending much more expensive things for some reason or another.....

If the OP's problem with his sound solution is volume, then isn't louder better?

Given how much talk there is about the power of the placebo effect in the audio sub-forum, folks around here are pretty quick to assume someone who (may or may not be) affected by it is a "troll"

This is the WRONG way to approach newcomers. You can't force enlightenment down someone's throat by acting enlightened and treating them like dirty peasants who should respect your knowledge. If you want them to be accepting of the knowledge you're trying to impart, they need to respect you first.

I wouldn't even HAVE a YouTube channel if I tried to teach people the way I see it being done in this thread.

Thread de-railment is not my issue here.

We have lots of off topic discussion on this forum and we're pretty casual about that kind of stuff. It's one of the things I like about this place.

My issue is with what went on while the OP was still participating in the conversation.

That is where you are wrong, for people with an older computer would actually benefit from the product.

Making the soundcard more cost effective then a whole system upgrade.

Well if he is watching on an ancient computer,chances are they cannot even play video well.furthermore as i have said,software can be used to increase volume.

If the OP's problem with his sound solution is volume, then isn't louder better?

Given how much talk there is about the power of the placebo effect in the audio sub-forum, folks around here are pretty quick to assume someone who (may or may not be) affected by it is a "troll"

This is the WRONG way to approach newcomers. You can't force enlightenment down someone's throat by acting enlightened and treating them like dirty peasants who should respect your knowledge. If you want them to be accepting of the knowledge you're trying to impart, they need to respect you first.

I wouldn't even HAVE a YouTube channel if I tried to teach people the way I see it being done in this thread.

Yes its better (that is what I use MY sound card for, the AMP) but the OP didn't acknowledge that till later.

Was simply trying to inform the OP what was really going on (he eventually got the message) as-well as some other not so nice messages from other members (one from me if you count the trolling message as it certainly seemed like the OP was faking it just for attention) and no I'm not going to edit it like others have been doing. 

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Well if he is watching on an ancient computer,chances are they cannot even play video well.furthermore as i have said,software can be used to increase volume.

My parents computer with its every so powerful single core and IGP (Running Win8), can play videos just fine. 

Now go and find a site and test that compares new realtek devices to a sound card,  that is clearly not an apples to apples comparison. Most realtek devices nowadys have an SNR at or above 100dB and I don't think any of them were ever as low as 72dB in the last 10 years.

That's not even a comparison to a realtek device,  that's a comparison to an old Nvidia solution for nforce chipsets, when was the last time anyone used one of those?  FFS STOP COMPARING OLD ONBOARD TECHNOLOGY, NO ONE USES IT AND NO ONE HAS SAID IT IS BETTER!

Its not about an amps power output, the important spec of a headphone amp is output impedance, people seem to confuse this with power all the time. They are different, there is no point in having an amp that can drive 600 ohm headphones if it's own output impedance is so high it changes the FR of the Bass or top end.

Seriously people, if you have to dig up old tests and comparisons you clearly have no idea what is going on. 

Why don't you go and find the test? I could tell you I went to the moon recently but without any proof it's just words on the internet.

So come on let's see it.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.