Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

oh wow. Then I would definitely hate them lol

really did not like driving them. And I'm the guy that drives are these terrible handling American cars. :P

really did not like driving them. And I'm the guy that drives are these terrible handling American cars. :P

then honestly idk why so many people buy them, especially in my area where it's flatter than really anywhere else, if they don't even go offroading in them.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

then honestly idk why so many people buy them, especially in my area where it's flatter than really anywhere else, if they don't even go offroading in them.

Same reason people buy a G Wagon or the like, "status quo."

IMO buying a Jeep to offroad is like buying Beats headphones for good sound quality. After they killed off the 4.0, the Jeep brand should of been killed off as well.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Well all the new ones are just grocery getters when its crappy out.

I lol'd at this.

If I wanted something boxy and could off road I'd consider an FJ cruiser.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

If I were to get an off roading non-truck I'd get a late 90s 4runner with the 3.slow in it. Those are freaking cool. Another option would be a Blazer or something along those lines. My grandma's '04 4runner has FJ suspension on it (something my stepdad did to level it and get it sitting a tad higher which is awesome.)

Yeah FJs were based off the 4runner (TRD package?) platform back then.

I really like our durango in bad weather. Thing could eat through snow. Worst thing was my blazer. Was a little too squirrely in the snow. I even had wider tires in that.

I lol'd at this.

If I wanted something boxy and could off road I'd consider an FJ cruiser.

FJ's are fucking cool.

My US History teacher has a durango and he's not a fan of it. In the snow though, there's not much that does good.

Probably a post LA engine durango.

Basically if it doesn't have a 5.2 or 5.9, throw it in the trash.

My US History teacher has a durango and he's not a fan of it. In the snow though, there's not much that does good.

I liked ours, it was pretty sweet. Very comfortable ride.

- Hellcats are OK

I... I don't really like the current Hellcat. At least not when you can get an M3/4 for a very similar price. I mean, you can't really replace those engines with massive displacement, but still.

Yeah I only know two things about Dodge

- late 90s Cummins

- sameish era? Viper 

- Hellcats are OK

Durango, Dakota and Rams of that era were good trucks if you could keep up with the suspension and steering maintenance. And you did the transmission work. Torqueflite's are very good transmissions, like the 4l60e (though the 46RE is better IMO) if you do the services. Governor solenoid goes out a lot though.

Just then Dodge killed off the LA engines for the junk that followed, and GM had the SBC gen 3 come out and it was RIP.

The Dakotas with the v8s are amazing

As long as its not a 4.7 pile.

I'm actually doing a 5.9 engine soon in a Ram. The LA's weren't perfect. Sludge issues because of PCV, that era had issues with plenum pan gaskets drinking oil too.

Never been in one or driven one, but there's one in my apartment and I've seen it take off like a rocket a few times.

get ready for that death wobble if its never been fixed.

I... I don't really like the current Hellcat. At least not when you can get an M3/4 for a very similar price. I mean, you can't really replace those engines with massive displacement, but still.

well 700hp and rwd for 70 grand can make for a LOT of fun...

Same reason people buy a G Wagon or the like, "status quo."

but G Wagons are actually comfortable.

If I were to get an off roading non-truck I'd get a late 90s 4runner with the 3.slow in it. Those are freaking cool. Another option would be a Blazer or something along those lines. My grandma's '04 4runner has FJ suspension on it (something my stepdad did to level it and get it sitting a tad higher which is awesome.)

really i would take an 80s-90s toyota pickup, try to squeeze about a good 180hp at least out of that bulletproof 4 banger and then put some good wheels and tires and a decent lift kit.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

but G Wagons are actually comfortable.

G Wagons are overrated junk.

get ready for that death wobble if its never been fixed.

Death wobble is fun.

G Wagons are overrated junk.

Death wobble is fun.

not really. you do get a lot, and the g63 is really powerful. they're not overrated.

not really. you do get a lot, and the g63 is really powerful. they're not overrated.

They're luxury boats for the road being used quite frankly, wrong. They're overrated. They're "designed" to go off road but nobody does that. Ever. At least people with Jeeps go off the path once in a while. If you want a G Wagon simply because "oh it's luxury" then you're buying the wrong vehicle. Simple as that.

I know you guys were talking about Chrysler/dodge/jeep so I'll leave this here:

My friends' 2014 RAM that he recently traded in for a mustang was honestly a pretty terrible truck. Yes it was more powerful than all the other small (not small but considered small these days lol) trucks and was actually not a bad driving experience.

From day one he had tons of defects that he was yelling at the dealer to fix but they kept putting it off. Little things like trim pieces coming apart, things peeling, the build quality was TERRIBLE. The inside felt quite cheap as well, nothing rattled but it was just so plasticy, certainly not $30K+ worth of quality.

But anyway when he was on his way to Georgia to trade in the truck for the mustang, the transmission started slipping a lot and shifting extremely hard, jerking the truck. This thing had 15K miles lol!! The 8 speed transmission was already failing lol.

So yeah... I don't really trust anything new Chrysler makes. Plus they had that whole hacking incident...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I know you guys were talking about Chrysler/dodge/jeep so I'll leave this here:

My friends' 2014 RAM that he recently traded in for a mustang was honestly a pretty terrible truck. Yes it was more powerful than all the other small (not small but considered small these days lol) trucks and was actually not a bad driving experience.

From day one he had tons of defects that he was yelling at the dealer to fix but they kept putting it off. Little things like trim pieces coming apart, things peeling, the build quality was TERRIBLE. The inside felt quite cheap as well, nothing rattled but it was just so plasticy, certainly not $30K+ worth of quality.

But anyway when he was on his way to Georgia to trade in the truck for the mustang, the transmission started slipping a lot and shifting extremely hard, jerking the truck. This thing had 15K miles lol!! The 8 speed transmission was already failing lol.

So yeah... I don't really trust anything new Chrysler makes. Plus they had that whole hacking incident...

the last american car i remember riding in was a 1998 ford contour. my dad bought it and loaded it with every single option, including the same exact v6 in our minivan and a one cd disc player. it felt posh as fuck for a ford. then my dad gave it to my uncle and he bought himself the protege 4 years later, and he's kept it ever since.

so apparently i just realized that our corolla could have come with a jbl sound system from the factory. i didn't even know till today that a corolla could have such a high end audio system..

bild099g.jpg

I wouldn't say the G-wagons I see everyday are luxury road barges.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

bild099g.jpg

I wouldn't say the G-wagons I see everyday are luxury road barges.

he's talking about the new ones.

They're luxury boats for the road being used quite frankly, wrong. They're overrated. They're "designed" to go off road but nobody does that. Ever. At least people with Jeeps go off the path once in a while. If you want a G Wagon simply because "oh it's luxury" then you're buying the wrong vehicle. Simple as that.

It's like we've seen this issue before. *cough* hummer *ahem*

"Rawr XD"