Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I'd say RWD, for obvious hoonage. Also that frontier more than likely has more torque, which can help you get out of some sticky situations when it comes to snow

Driving in snow has actually very little to do with horsepower and torque. And everything to do with traction.

Because Mondays are relatively dull, especially during a long weekend, here's 19 minutes of Group C (late 80s, early 90s era) excitement recreated in modern times. 

Watch as a Jaguar XJR-14 (in the oh so wonderful Silk Cut livery) chases down the Mercedes (Sauber) C11 at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya (filmed April 2015). Got a bit of a chuckle watching the telemetry... seems the onboard data gathering doesnt read gear position or throttle/brake either. 286 KMH (178 MPH) in neutral - what wizardry!

"What's that red thing he keeps grabbing?" /lol

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Need advice on a car cover...

I found a nonwoven fabric cover for 1200PhP and a nylon one is around 600 PhP...

which should I get?

The nonwoven has better security (padlocks... on a car cover...)... but they have similar stitching...

nonwoven is this material:

201405051399278864125.jpg

Edit:

The car is parked on the curb, exposed to the elements, most of the time... There are also lots of cats in the area...

But

They were both Gr.A IIRC.

Ahh Group A, that is what I meant :P

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

holy sh!t!! (i just drove my brother`s rally peugot in a snowy field, sooo much fun!)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Thought I'd drop in here ang get some suggestions advice and opinions on driving in snow/icy conditions.

Ski/snowboard season is here, but I don't have immediate access to the truck I usually drive (Titan 4x4), long story short, its being used by another family member who is towing some loads.

That leaves me with either driving with an Frontier RWD (manual tranny) or my Mazda 3 sedan (FWD). Thoughts?

Never driven manual in snow/icy conditions, makes me a bit nervous, but it is the car with the better all terrain tires of my two options.

So it comes down to FWD or RWD?

I'm surprised no one asked this, but which has better/newer tires? Rwd to fwd is going to matter less than the tires. My personal vote would be the Frontier because I know better how to predict the handling of a rwd vehicle.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Jaguar is back in open wheel racing! (sort of)

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Today some guy was showing off a 2008 Maserati Quattroporte at some restaurant my mom likes... is it just me or is the interior REALLY outdated for a luxury sedan in 2008? My Honda Civic of the same year has a nicer looking dash then that -_-

(stock photo, but the guy's looked pretty much the same)

Im with you... even a current gen Quattroporte S looks behind in time a few years, like this should of been the 08 model lol... Maserati really isnt what everyone thinks... They look great on the outside but are a bit lacking on the inside for what is supposed to be a very creature-comfort oriented car

That being said, I still love the look of the Gran Turismo both the cabriolet and coupe versions.

its made by ferrari its crap trust me. only good ferraris are worth more than 800k

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

i know their are a lot of jdm fan boys here so im just going to drop this 

https://www.lovecars.com/news/2015/12/28/forbidden-fruit-toyota-86-grmn

285e4b_538997_1pn0G5NrMCk0hJ5OoK9R.jpg

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I take it back, I don't want an AW11 as much. I wan an SW20 MR2 because it's faster than a Supra MKII or MKIII, and it's trunk is big enough for a guitar or maybe even two.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

i know their are a lot of jdm fan boys here so im just going to drop this 

https://www.lovecars.com/news/2015/12/28/forbidden-fruit-toyota-86-grmn

~~

Eh, it doesnt appeal to as many people as the regular USDM special editions did. Plus 100 units for Japan only at $54K, yeah no thanks.

Folding@Home | BOINC

Eh, it doesnt appeal to as many people as the regular USDM special editions did. Plus 100 units for Japan only at $54K, yeah no thanks.

again not jdm enthusiast so idk how cool or not the things are :P 

Stock in inches is a 23 iirc, what's on there now is a 21, and I'm putting on a 28. This should be fun.

that's a big difference.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

My way of solving wheel gap [emoji14]

It's better than lowering it. [emoji14]

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Stock in inches is a 23 iirc, what's on there now is a 21, and I'm putting on a 28. This should be fun.

so not the handling route...?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Just make sure you get one with a really low intensity light. A pillar gauges are irritating when they are too bright.

(My mom had multicolour gauges on the A pillar..boost pressure and oil pressure i think it was) 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I'm surprised no one asked this, but which has better/newer tires? Rwd to fwd is going to matter less than the tires. My personal vote would be the Frontier because I know better how to predict the handling of a rwd vehicle.

The ones on the sedan are newer, but aren't all terrain, they're all season. I replaces them 5k miles ago. The ones on the frontier have been broken in a bit, but are all terrain, and probably offer more traction. 

The issue that I have with the frontier is that in first gear it has way too much torque, I can't downshift until about ~7 mph. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Thought I'd drop in here ang get some suggestions advice and opinions on driving in snow/icy conditions.

Ski/snowboard season is here, but I don't have immediate access to the truck I usually drive (Titan 4x4), long story short, its being used by another family member who is towing some loads.

That leaves me with either driving with an Frontier RWD (manual tranny) or my Mazda 3 sedan (FWD). Thoughts?

Never driven manual in snow/icy conditions, makes me a bit nervous, but it is the car with the better all terrain tires of my two options.

So it comes down to FWD or RWD? 

The ones on the sedan are newer, but aren't all terrain, they're all season. I replaces them 5k miles ago. The ones on the frontier have been broken in a bit, but are all terrain, and probably offer more traction. 

The issue that I have with the frontier is that in first gear it has way too much torque, I can't downshift until about ~7 mph. 

the Mazda 3 will be better.  there isn't gonna be too much of a difference between all terrain and all season tires for snow traction... unless they're some really knobby tires...  if you do decide to drive the Frontier, throw some sandbags in the back to put some weight over the rear tires.

all else being equal, fwd > rwd in the snow.

also, why would you ever need to shift to first over 7mph?  only time I ever go to first is if I'm at a complete stop or if I need to get going fast

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

also, why would you ever need to shift to first over 7mph?  only time I ever go to first is if I'm at a complete stop or if I need to get going fast

When we used to have a Saturn, I could downshift while going 15 mph.  :P . Just got used to it I guess and expected the same thing with the frontier.

And its kinda handy when I roll through stop signs in the middle of the night :ph34r: . 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

idk why but i love the noise of the islero its fixed and in driving condition so happy  :D

idk why but i love the noise of the islero its fixed and in driving condition 

a 1969 lamborghini islero? (those are BEAUTIFULL!!!)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600