Am I missing something? (Flat Earthers)

Deus Voltage

So we already knew that there were quite a few people who believe that the earth is flat. However, after the launch of falcon heavy -which has been seen and recorded by hundreds of people- I realized that their number is quite a lot bigger than I initially assumed. 

Now, I'm not sure if it's my optimism talking here, but are they using some kind of next level sarcasm that I'm not aware of? I am genuinely confused here. I'm asking this question because these people have families, kids, who risk getting indoctrinated into pseudoscience and irreversibly lose critical thinking faculties. 

The links below should give you an idea on why I am writing this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlsbhYzRG_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gniIVc504Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tauDPtdrAKw

Our reaction might be to ignore them entirely and not give them any serious intellectual attention, but maybe that's not the most practical path? An entire generation, albeit a small one, is being created on beliefs that harken back to the dark ages.

I hope we can have a fruitful discussion regarding this topic, as some have on Youtube. 

what confuses me is how if you used to talk about how aliens are among us you were crazy but this flat earth apparently is way more believable. like there are so many theories and conspiracies and this is the one they chose to believe? im confused but just like with religious people sadly you can argue with them. theyre irrational

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

As a card-carrying member of the Flat Earth Society, the majority of the forum-goers were on the forum for the other areas, as opposed to Flat Earth discussion. That, and it was mostly about stoking the fire, if you will. I think a lot of us that signed up the membership did so for the novelty of it (and the Flat Earth swag).

I genuinely lurked on that forum for awhile, noticing the types of threads, and questions, and discussions that happened. As a part of this I noticed how absurdly angry people got at the notion of a Flat Earth. The other thing that was noticed, along with the anger, was how little people actually knew about basic science.

When I finally registered, I was more of a mediator, showcasing that they either didn't understand part of the Flat Earth theory, or they were legitimately confused on the actual science they were trying to use to prove the Earth wasn't flat. All in all, it was a lot of fun, and a good exercise in debate, and for physics if you were into that sort of thing. There are some aspects that are scientifically feasible, if outlandish. And that's what makes it more fun.

While there might be actual people that believe in an actual Flat Earth, in the age of trolls, I'd wager to say a lot of people espousing Flat Earth beliefs are just being contrarian for the absurdity of it all.

9 minutes ago, divito said:

While there might be actual people that believe in an actual Flat Earth, in the age of trolls, I'd wager to say a lot of people espousing Flat Earth beliefs are just being contrarian for the absurdity of it all.

But if they're being contrarians, then they're not really trolling are they?

Unless the intention was to purposely blow the idea out of proportion in order to show how ridiculous it is in the first place. 

Aside from that, I still struggle with the idea that some take the time to go against all established science for the sake of being "different". Maybe, as some have stated before me, that gives them a sort of thrill, a sense of danger. Something that gives them sincere and palpable emotions in a world where most people recognize how "fake" media outlets have become, or to use Heidegger's terms, a sense of "facticity". 

3 hours ago, Deus Voltage said:

Our reaction might be to ignore them entirely and not give them any serious intellectual attention

Thread over.

Why the ever loving shit should I care about a handful fo retards? I've got my own shit to deal with.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

It blows my mind that people think the Earth is flat, even after seeing the LIVE feed from the Tesla Roadster and all the cameras on the Falcon Heavy boosters, etc. But also even when you're on a cruise ship, and even more so when you're flying, you can clearly see the curve across the ocean. I've stood on top of Mount Washington and on a crystal clear day, you can make out a couple rooftops in Boston, but strangely enough, you can't see the Alps/mainland Europe. Then there is a "secret" test track in Germany that VW owns where the straightaway is so long, you can't see the other side, due to the curvature of the Earth. And this is for our friends down under in STRAYA, isn't the moon "upside down" for you guys? I just don't get their logic.

Bunch of Idiots. Everyone knows this is the ACTUAL shape of the earth

image.jpeg.88a0187751df7e61f54d9d5be0cfbf8a.jpeg

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

4 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

what confuses me is how if you used to talk about how aliens are among us you were crazy but this flat earth apparently is way more believable. like there are so many theories and conspiracies and this is the one they chose to believe? im confused but just like with religious people sadly you can argue with them. theyre irrational

When I first heard about modern day flat earthers I thought it was just for the lols until I the rapper BoB tweeted something along the lines of the Earth is flat which prompted astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson to respond. The rapper even started a GoFundMe page just to prove that the Eath is flat. I know Ken Ham believes that the world is just around 6000 years old and that animals behaved properly to enter an ark but I don’t think he’s a flat earther. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

When I first heard about modern day flat earthers I thought it was just for the lols until I the rapper BoB tweeted something along the lines of the Earth is flat which prompted astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson to respond. The rapper even started a GoFundMe page just to prove that the Eath is flat. I know Ken Ham believes that the world is just around 6000 years old and that animals behaved properly to enter an ark but I don’t think he’s a flat earther. 

well i get that if you only have your own sight to go from then everything would indicate that the earth is flat ok but when you start talking about faked nasa footage and scientists lying you start dismissing evidence and that sound like a very religious thing to do. i use religion because to me those are the most impressionable irrational sheep i can think of any counter argument or question is blocked with "becasue god made it that way" - again dismissing evidence

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

The most annoying part of flat earthers is that, generally speaking, they'll just call any evidence "faked" anyway.

Tesla Roadster live stream? Faked!

Airlines? Wide angle windows that distort the flat horizon into looking curved!

NASA? Faked!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

???

The Earth is flat though?

Am I missing something here? Do you people actually believe that the Earth is round? OMG LOL @ U IF YOU DO.

Earth is flat, everyone knows this as a fact.

Linus is my fetish.

3 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

Flat earthers, eating tide pods.. We live in interesting times..

This guy knows de wae

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

14 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

The internet has morons on it who will argue to the death over their moronic beliefs.  Not exactly a revelation.

The internet makes it worse, instead of dealing with the village idiot, now you have to deal with EVERY village idiot.

1 minute ago, HarryNyquist said:

The internet makes it worse, instead of dealing with the village idiot, now you have to deal with EVERY village idiot.

Yes, the village idiots getting to make their own giant eVillage where they chat together and then get noticed is kinda a downside.

But it's not like this can take root.  There's far too much of our every day lives, including telecommunications, that relies on working around the fact that the earth is curved.  As much as it'd be easier for communications if the horizon wasn't so darn close no matter where you go, it won't ever become a reality. 

Just remember, the Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

30 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Just remember, the Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

Oh the irony.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Oh the irony.

Its not ironic.

Globes are flat.

Linus is my fetish.

6 hours ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Bunch of Idiots. Everyone knows this is the ACTUAL shape of the earth

I'm sorry sir, but you are the idiot.... :P;) 

18myou0kz7ujejpg.jpg

If the earth if flat then why can't they see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

Checkmate baristas.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

The Flat Earth fools are absolutely serious.

What's interesting (and irritating) to me is how tiny they think earth is. They actually think that the earth's curvature should be visible in their immediate vicinity.

Why do people care so much about flat earthers when things like alternative medicine are killing people.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti